Does ledge grab have any meaningful uses?

I have never in my time playing this game ever used the ledge grab on purpose. The only time it ever happens to me is when my frame brushes against a box thus taking me out of cover, or I jump against a piece of environment with a strange collision box, which often traps me in the environment or I glitch out of bounds. I feel like the game would benefit greatly from removing the ledge grab feature, especially considering there is no movement obstacle that bullet jump or warframe abilities can't solve. Is there any point where ledge grab is useful?

• Like 11

Nope!

all it does is glitch out my Cloud Walk where the game thinks brushing by a ledge mid Cloud means I wanted to grab onto it so it teleports me there to play the animation after I've already flown far far away from it.

Also, annoying inadvertent door-frame pull-ups in Grineer tilesets. Now is not the time to be working out!

• Like 6

It provides a moment of rest where, free from all control of a video game character, one can contemplate the great questions of philosophy.  Such as, "Does ledge grab have any meaning...?

It occasionally looks cool.  Cooler than jumping just short of a ledge and falling into a chasm like a schlub anyway.   😉

• Like 1

was more important/prominent on the old movement system. I really miss how cool wall runs (vertical and horizontal) looked like, in fact was one of thie things that hooked me in those years, since I was a hardcore GunZ the duel player

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

was more important/prominent on the old movement system. I really miss how cool wall runs (vertical and horizontal) looked like, in fact was one of thie things that hooked me in those years, since I was a hardcore GunZ the duel player

I'm sure some stubborn Dev looks back at those times fondly with rose-tinted glasses, and thus ledge grabbing will never get taken out even though it just gets in the way of the new movement systems.

It was relevant in the old movement system it was made for. Currently it's more a question of why is the grab still in the game when it has no practical function not unlike wall melee.

• Like 1

On the rare occasion it's useful for my operator when I'm trying to jump on a box while trying to conserve my energy, but even then it seems really iffy on whether or not the game will decide my operator is allowed to ledge grab or not.

20 minutes ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

Nope!

all it does is glitch out my Cloud Walk where the game thinks brushing by a ledge mid Cloud means I wanted to grab onto it so it teleports me there to play the animation after I've already flown far far away from it.

Also, annoying inadvertent door-frame pull-ups in Grineer tilesets. Now is not the time to be working out!

It glitches out Revenant casting Danse Macabre when falling off a wall close enough to the wall to otherwise trigger ledge grab. You have to run out of energy, fall off a cliff or die to get out of Danse Macabre. When you run out of energy, Revenant is teleported back to the wall he fell off and ledge grabs it! Bizarre stuff! I think similar happens for other channeled abilities on other Warframes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ZestyChieftain said:

Is there any point where ledge grab is useful?

It restores your double-jump at the start of the animation, so it's technically useful. But letting the entire ledge-grab animation play out serves no purpose. It's in a bizarre state of, "it's good that it's there, but using all of it isn't good"

It was relevant before bullet jumping was a concept I suppose.

Ever since I have gotten good at the movement system the number of times mantling has helped me is far less than the number of times it has been a hindrance.

They should remove it or speed it up 10x to reduce the downtime.

• Like 3

What if "Ledge grab" were merged with "wall latch".   So you just hold aim to grab that ledge.  Ledge shooting can also be a thing with that.

I know that "Latch" sometimes just doesn't stick to thin surfaces like ledges.....but DE can always adjust it to be much stickier.  

35 minutes ago, Kainosh said:

What if "Ledge grab" were merged with "wall latch".   So you just hold aim to grab that ledge.  Ledge shooting can also be a thing with that.

I know that "Latch" sometimes just doesn't stick to thin surfaces like ledges.....but DE can always adjust it to be much stickier.  

I wouldn't mind some combo with wall latch

considering wall latch is so inconsistent and clunky to do, deserves some kinda rework

Posted (edited)

I like the ledge grab for those small jumps that don’t require a proper wall dash. I don’t bulletjump very much, so small hops falling just short of ledges are common, and the ledge grab helps with that.

I never knew it was such a problem; hopefully they can make it work more cleanly

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

It's far more of an annoyance now than it is an aid. There's nothing more infuriating than going to use a terminal or hacking a console, only to climb up on it instead...

10 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

Dies it have a use ?

Nope....

Should it be Removed ?

Nope....

Why not ?

Because I like it ,😛 !!!

I find it's at it's most annoying when you're in a flat out hurry, I've been known to *beep beep beep* my way through some maps in Discord between talking.  :facepalm::tongue:

Though I do like it when I just don't quite make the jump and you grab onto the ledge with your fingernails. :cool:

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Warframe is a game where something absolutely game-changing and essential can coexist peacefully with something absolutely pointless and even if it dies horrible death nobody will miss it.

This kind of balance has never exist for a very long time in videogames.

The avatar would be proud.

Edited by Soy77
Posted (edited)

It has its uses definitely by just barely grabbing on when you cannot make a jump or mess up. Keeping your buffs by not going out of bounds is a massive boon sometimes.

The issue is not the fact that its in the game. The issue lies in the lengthiness of the animation and the fact that it's the same animation regardless of where you are. This could be improved. In some cases it'd be better if your frame quickly hops over an obstacle rather than hanging onto it and climbing over it. The actual climbing animation could be sped up slightly as I feel the arm strength of the frame is not always represented by this animation.

The mentioning of Wukong with Cloud Walker I have never ever seen that interaction. Like ever, and I have played a good chunk of Wukong. So... yea, fly straight and don't bump into stuff? :p But I'm kidding, the animation should not play while in Cloud Walker. So this is more of a bug with Cloud Walker rather than an issue with the animation.

Edited by RazerXPrime
35 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

It has its uses definitely by just barely grabbing on when you cannot make a jump or mess up. Keeping your buffs by not going out of bounds is a massive boon sometimes.

The issue is not the fact that its in the game. The issue lies in the lengthiness of the animation and the fact that it's the same animation regardless of where you are. This could be improved. In some cases it'd be better if your frame quickly hops over an obstacle rather than hanging onto it and climbing over it. The actual climbing animation could be sped up slightly as I feel the arm strength of the frame is not always represented by this animation.

I can get behind this. Although even if it were sped up, using an ability or bullet jumping is still the superior option as there are few places where you cannot make a jump or make errors. If it were removed, people would just learn to bullet jump more often and accurately. Or make ledge grab a button hold option rather than an automatic function that you have no control over. Maybe holding shift while airborne will cause you to grab ledge.

19 hours ago, vanaukas said:

Me too! That is exactly what drew me to the movement system originally before the changes to movement. 

15 minutes ago, (PSN)Sswoop- said:

Me too! That is exactly what drew me to the movement system originally before the changes to movement. 

Wait we had wall running before? Why was that removed?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RazerXPrime said:

Wait we had wall running before? Why was that removed?

If it’s the wall-running that I’m thinking of, originally it was a very limited experience. A player had to really precisely line themselves up to a completely flat surface to trigger the transition from standing to wall-running vertically, and there were only a handful of areas in specific places on any tileset that you could do it on.  And it was straight vertical, no deviations to the left or right even after dismount. Horizontal wall running initiation was marginally easier, since jumping at it was an option, but the player was forced along an exactly horizontal path and had limited control on the dismount. If I can recall correctly, it sort of ejected the player away at a strict 45 degree angle from the wall, and if they were aiming for a catwalk or something, good luck.

If you keep an eye out for white chalk streaks on the walls (particularly on older maps), those were visual guides to where people could initiate wall running and expect to get something out of it. They could do it in a few other non-marked areas because walls happened to be flat enough, but a player couldn’t make much use of those because of the limited dismount control.

Personally I loved the potential that I saw in the original movement system. I could only sort of get it to work towards some practical use even after hours and hours of practice, but I didn’t hate it and embraced it instead, in spite of what could only be described as “rather clunky”. Then Titanfall came out and I learned how good it can get, and then we got Parkour 2.0, perhaps my favourite update 👍 

Edited by (NSW)Greybones
Clarification