Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Whats the next umbral frame ? am very excited

Dr.Enthu

23 minutes ago, Dr.Enthu said:

Whats the next umbral frame ?

None, because Umbra was the name of the Dax Soldier that was turned into a Warframe for witnessing Ballas betrayal by giving Orokin secrets to the Sentients.

Its likely that like Umbra, whatever other warframe Variant that came would inherit the name of the individual used in its creation.

As for what frame it would be, most likely one of the starters or basic frames as they were the first made and most likely the most simple to force the transformation onto someone.

No, his name wasn't Umbra. Ballas erased his name from the Orokin records. All part of the torture and brainwashing as was making him kill his own son.

As for what Umbra we would get next is likely Nyx or Rhino.
Rhino as DE often refer to him as Excalibur's partner/buddy
Nyx as she was the OG Nemesis to Excalibur in Dark Sector, so the two have something of a connection even in Warframe.
And while their Umbra stories in Warframe may not be connected, there is still that kind of spiritual attachment.

All that said, Umbra was basically "Excal prime for non-founders" a compromise to try and placate those that missed out on buying the founder pack.
But once you open pandora's box......

2 hours ago, Dr.Enthu said:

yeah i mean the frames which doesnt get a primed version can get an umbral version in that way...

DE has a long time ago confirmed that every frame is eligible for a Prime.

And it's the base of their monetization, so that ain't gonna change.

Short answer; We don't know and DE haven't even started the concept yet.

Long answer; DE stated that there would be more Umbral-style frames, but they weren't going to be like Primes. Every Warframe has a Prime, only a few get an Umbral-style.

In a more recent DevStream, one of the Q&A ones this year, the topic came up again and the answer was that they're focusing on getting out all of the actually announced content, like the rest of Railjack, the rest of the Nemesis system (Liches, Sisters), The New War and Duviri Paradox. They're pushing back any work on something like the next Umbral-style frame until after those things.

Speculation; The frames that are most likely to get a deviant style of frame are most likely the ones that were released as part of the original game, the base 8. One of the things DE like to do with these is tell a new story, so there may be a quest related to it, there will be something important that they want to tell, and there will be something unique about that new frame. 

The name 'Umbra' apparently came from the contrast with Excalibur's nature, the frame uses a 'sword of light' (and blinds), and Excalibur Umbra is therefore an Excalibur in Shadow.

So another bit of speculation is that they may turn another frame to the same aspect, but use another name. For example Ember Cinis (Ember is a flame, Cinis is 'ash').

The next would be that more mods in the Umbral cycle aren't likely to happen, so another set might appear. The Umbral mods affect Health, Armour and Strength, while the next round might be... 'Solar' mods (to go with Ember) and affect things that benefit Ember, like Energy Pool, Efficiency and Range. (Imagine getting mods for these that can give boosts almost as good as the Corrupted mods, but without any defecit, so a caster frame could have a massively Forma'd build that would give Health, Strength, Range, Energy and Efficiency, with three slots over for things like Duration, and no deficits like the corrupted mods would give...)

There's plenty to look forward to... just... not for a long while.

I'll always say that's better havinng skins thematically similar and transferable sentience rather than new variants. I think umbra is just the "excalibur prime" for non founder players with a cool lore and quest, and while there is room for new umbra variants for lore reasons, it would be too much clutter imho

Maybe when you gave them sentience DE could make an existing ability in the frame as umbra variant like the radial howl vs radial blind, this way you keep the umbra variant with the prime stats, something like the Echoes of Umbra they didn't released.

On 2021-05-04 at 10:57 PM, GraveSpectre said:

No, his name wasn't Umbra. Ballas erased his name from the Orokin records. All part of the torture and brainwashing as was making him kill his own son.

As for what Umbra we would get next is likely Nyx or Rhino.
Rhino as DE often refer to him as Excalibur's partner/buddy
Nyx as she was the OG Nemesis to Excalibur in Dark Sector, so the two have something of a connection even in Warframe.
And while their Umbra stories in Warframe may not be connected, there is still that kind of spiritual attachment.

All that said, Umbra was basically "Excal prime for non-founders" a compromise to try and placate those that missed out on buying the founder pack.
But once you open pandora's box......

I would put Frost in one of the possibilities for the next Umbral frame. Sure, they were released later, but did that stop them from becoming the second prime?

Well it should obviously be one of the other two starter frames: Volt or Mag. Whether they even make umbral versions of those remains to be seen. We haven't really heard anything about it since Sacrifice (at least to my knowledge) so I'm starting to wonder if they only did Excal for the none-founders who didn't get Prime. I guess we will see after they've done Corpus Liches and finished this whole Railjack saga. 

On 2021-05-05 at 6:18 AM, Dr.Enthu said:

what would be the next umbral frame

4 choices:

• Ferrite Umbra
  • Neuroptics Umbra
  • Kuva Umbra
  • Mutagen Sample Umbra

I can just imagine how strong those frames will be haha xD

On 2021-05-05 at 1:18 AM, Dr.Enthu said:

After excalibur umbra what would be the next umbral frame ( maybe the frame for which a prime version doesnt exist like nidus).

There probably won't be another umbral frame. It's a 6-year old warframe that DE didn't originally intend on adding to the global build of the game. It took them a while to acknowledge the exclusive China deal (which I think they intended to keep secret), longer to promise to give it to non-Chinese players (it was their version of Excal Prime), and even longer - 3 years - to add to the game (under the excuse that they were figuring out how to add it). So it shouldn't be surprising to know that they've dragged their feet on adding more umbra frames (something they said they would do) for nearly 3 years now.

I don't even care for more umbra warframes. I just think it'd be nice to get some Umbra-style skins for the older warframes, specifically Ash, Nyx, Loki, Nekros, Volt, and Trinity.

vor 1 Minute schrieb Ailia_Grimm:

Those that don't read the lore

Obviously the lore has such an deep impact because warframe is apparently known for godlike storytelling and character interaction. 🤔

It just doesn't matter if it makes sense for a prime to exist or not because there is nothing in this game that shows a significant reaction to our frame choice (except Baro and the reaction is laughable). 

As for DE... Corporate interests matter way more then some lore. 

2 hours ago, OniDax said:

. It took them a while to acknowledge the exclusive China deal (which they intended to keep secret), 

How exactly were they going to keep it secret? And why do you believe that was their intention? 

On 2021-05-08 at 2:29 PM, Hypernaut1 said:

How exactly were they going to keep it secret? And why do you believe that was their intention? 

When they went to China, they were acting like they were on vacation on social media. When Excalibur Umbra leaked out, it took them way too long to acknowledge it. Only after there was controversy within the community did they address it. When they finally put out a post talking about it and announcing that they'd release it for the global build, it took them three years before they decided on a way to add it to the game, signifying that they had no plan for releasing it for the global build (because, yes, if they originally intended to release it, then they would've had a plan for doing so). This indicates that they didn't originally plan on releasing it for the global build, and that the decision to do so was a reaction to the controversy regarding Excalibur Umbra.

Based on that reasoning, I believe their Changyou partnership and Excalibur Umbra were intended to be kept secret (because they probably knew people wouldn't like the idea of a Prime version of Excalibur that was region-exclusive), I believe DE did not intend on releasing it for their international player base, and I believe the decision to release it for their international player base was a reaction to the controversy surrounding Excalibur Umbra and not a pre-planned decision. I believe it was their intention to keep it secret because they freely revealed their WIP content in devstreams. They did not handle Changyou content that way. Again, when they finally acknowledged their partnership and said they'd release Excal Umbra for the global build, they dragged their feet on it for 3 years. That's not something they would've done had they planned on revealing it and releasing it for international players.

And just to remind you what that controversy was, there was controversy because DE refused to release Excalibur Prime for non-Founder players, citing the marketed exclusivity of the Founders Program, yet they were effectively skirting around that marketed exclusivity by creating what amounted to a new Excalibur Prime for their Chinese players. Players considered this as pandering to the Chinese player base and a slap in the face to international players as well as console players who were not allowed to have a Prime version of Excalibur.

That is why I think it's close to zero chance DE releases another umbra frame. They weren't excited about bringing Excalibur Umbra to the global build because they sat on it for 3 years, and they clearly aren't excited about bringing more umbra frames to the game because they've sat on that for 3 years despite saying they'd make a limited line of them. Despite what I'm sure some will argue, being "busy" isn't an acceptable explanation for why they haven't released more umbra frames, just as it wasn't acceptable for why they took 3 years to release Excalibur Umbra, because DE sets its own schedule; they have full control of what they choose to release. If they don't release something, it's because they choose not to prioritize it, not because someone else kept them from releasing that content. So I don't think they're really interested in releasing more umbra frames, because after 3 years, they haven't done it.

Archived