Jump to content

How to make playing with controller instantly better across platforms (with literally no real effort)


XXOUTT
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi DE,

So, I've been playing WF across both PS and PC, for a good while now. Always on controller (that's just how I roll, as I play my games from the sofa).

That introduces obvious limitations, many of which I can make better as I'm using an Elite controller. However, in almost every case the "improvement" can only happen by sacrificing some form of functionality (remapping buttons and removing certain functions). Ofc not ideal. But it is my choice to play with controller on PC. It's however not really a choice on consoles.

 

The problem? Not enough buttons.

The fix? "Adding" layers (the layers are already there, i.e. ability menus etc.)

 

 

  • Give us the ability to remap all the buttons, as we see fit. Right now it's very limited on certain layers. Like the problem with not being able to take advantage of the turrets cooldown intrinsic, in RJ cooling the turrets in 0.5 seconds while overheated on reload, as you couldn't map a "reload" button when using controller in RJ (piloting the RJ is a layer in itself). This has since been fixed. But why? Why can't I decide exactly how I want to play and enjoy the game?

In the normal ability menu I count 8 buttons (more if moving the sticks is a viable option) that could easily be mapped for something else. I would absolutely LOVE being able to use these for stuff only keyboard users can normally (shortcuts etc.), or just what ever would be QoL for me. Now, you always have to give up something else….. which I already have in setting up the paddles on my elite controller (like “show player” list, cycle power right/left) etc.)

 

See below example of unused buttons.

AExhJub.jpg

 

Transference

There is currently no way of removing the bind to the ability menu (holding the right bumper then tapping left bumper) with transference, even tho you can manually map and dedicate a transference only button. Which is great for those of us using Elite controllers with extra buttons (and probably for people in general as they can access transference pressing only one button). But not so great that you then can’t remove the “Ability/focus button is also Transference”, exactly like you can for the “Context button is also Reload”. This also means that, it will count transference as the last used ability and do that instead of the ability you were expecting and or/had  pre selected before.

 

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Edited by XXOUTT
1. Added an "issue" related to tranference. 2. Corrections regarding transference.
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, XXOUTT said:

See below example of unused buttons.

AExhJub.jpg

 

Just so we're clear.... Right Trigger doesn't count unless you use play using your Middle Fingers because it's on the same side as The Right Bumper.... 

Just something to keep in mind....

Other than that... Yeah... Control options could definitely be improved....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

Just so we're clear.... Right Trigger doesn't count unless you use play using your Middle Fingers because it's on the same side as The Right Bumper.... 

that doesn't mean you can't have a function there. very few approaching zero of the functions in the game are something you are doing at all times.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

Just so we're clear.... Right Trigger doesn't count unless you use play using your Middle Fingers because it's on the same side as The Right Bumper.... 

Just something to keep in mind....

Other than that... Yeah... Control options could definitely be improved....

Not the most “ergonomic” no, I agree, but no reason for it not to count. I could easily make it work to do certain stuff. Activating Archwing or whatever. But probably wouldn’t use it to do anything during hectic gameplay. Even tho that could probably work too if needed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

Just so we're clear.... Right Trigger doesn't count unless you use play using your Middle Fingers because it's on the same side as The Right Bumper.... 

Can you explain this logic? Because to me as a controller user this statement is as stupid as saying shift doesn't count unless you use your ring finger to play because shift and ctrl are on the same side of the keyboard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, taiiat said:

that doesn't mean you can't have a function there.

True.... But like I said... You would need to play using your Middle finger for that argument to be valid... Since most people don't play that way... Any Modal Functions mapped Specifically to the Right Trigger would go unused anyway...

27 minutes ago, XXOUTT said:

Not the most “ergonomic” no, I agree, but no reason for it not to count. I could easily make it work to do certain stuff. Activating Archwing or whatever. But probably wouldn’t use it to do anything during hectic gameplay. Even tho that could probably work too if needed.

Well as long as we are clear that it's not ergonomic then I have no further complaints...

28 minutes ago, Leyvonne said:

Can you explain this logic? 

I figured that a controller user wouldn't need me to explain this but okay:

If you're holding down the Right Bumper with your Right Index Finger... You can't press the Right Trigger to activate that Binding.... 

Simple...

To circumvent this you would have to either press the Right Trigger with your Middle Finger.... Or grip the controller in such a way that your Index Fingers are always resting on the Bumpers and your Middle Fingers are always resting on the Triggers at all Times.... Which is Fighting Game Levels of Unintuitiveness for most people.

34 minutes ago, Leyvonne said:

controller user this statement is as stupid as saying shift doesn't count unless you use your ring finger to play because shift and ctrl are on the same side of the keyboard.

It would be true if you couldn't access the left side of the Keyboard with your Fingers comfortable.... Keyboards don't have this issue.... But Controllers do....

This is why people use special controllers for Fighting Games:

41pR1oMKIqL._AC_SY580_.jpg

By having all the buttons layed out on the Surface.... Every button can be utilised equally since your Hand will have equally access to all of them for roughly all your Fingers.... 

The Hitbox Controller goes even one step further and just copies that setup to the left side:

HB-Front-Transparency4k2compressed_590x.

So now all the Directional Inputs can be accessed simulatenously.... Thus this controller was banned in official tournaments until the Developers designed the game's better (Still an on going process).

You get the idea.... Some Bindings won't count in practice because you only have so many Fingers and that's further exacerbated by having those fingers only have access to specific parts of the controller because of its Shape and Button Placement....

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

I figured that a controller user wouldn't need me to explain this but okay:

If you're holding down the Right Bumper with your Right Index Finger... You can't press the Right Trigger to activate that Binding.... 

Simple...

To circumvent this you would have to either press the Right Trigger with your Middle Finger.... Or grip the controller in such a way that your Index Fingers are always resting on the Bumpers and your Middle Fingers are always resting on the Triggers at all Times.... Which is Fighting Game Levels of Unintuitiveness for most people.

 

33 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

It would be true if you couldn't access the left side of the Keyboard with your Fingers comfortable.... Keyboards don't have this issue.... But Controllers do....

I still don't get it. Why are you hung up on using that specific COMBINATION when you could bind them so you'll never have to touch those two buttons at the same time? And this is what my comparison was aiming at. We have a ton of button combinations on PC that are extremely uncomfortable or hard to reach at the same time (for me crtl + shift is the hardest), but we aren't forced to use them that way. Thus saying RT doesn't count unless using specific finger = saying shift doesn't count unless using specific finger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Leyvonne said:

I still don't get it. Why are you hung up on using that specific COMBINATION when you could bind them so you'll never have to touch those two buttons at the same time?

Because that combination is the Topic... It's right there in the OP accompanied by a screen shot....

5 hours ago, XXOUTT said:

See below example of unused buttons.

AExhJub.jpg

See ?

1 hour ago, Leyvonne said:

We have a ton of button combinations on PC that are extremely uncomfortable or hard to reach at the same time (for me crtl + shift is the hardest), but we aren't forced to use them that way. Thus saying RT doesn't count unless using specific finger = saying shift doesn't count unless using specific finger.

You also have a ton of other keys to choose from so if CTR+Shift is a problem then rebinding those isn't as big of a problem on Keyboards as it is controllers....

Not only that.... Keyboards don't even have to resort to combination as much as controllers do in the first place.... Since they have a butt load of keys... They don't need a dedicated key for the Ability Menu.... The only reason this function exists on controllers is because there's a finite number of buttons.

On top of that... Since these Buttons are seperated into different zones because of their layout.... Having one of those Buttons be the Ability Menu means you can't access the other buttons in the same zone.... Ergo.... If the Ability Menu is Right Bumper then you can't Access Right Trigger.... 

If it's the left bumper then it's the left Trigger.... If it's the one of the face buttons then it's the button on the opposite side of that section.

The Modal Function (such as the Ability Menu) is good for adding Additional Functions on the controller.... All I was saying is in Actual Practice it doesn't apply to all the buttons as it may seem to.... 

Hopefully that clears things up yes ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Because that combination is the Topic... It's right there in the OP accompanied by a screen shot....

Is it? I thought the topic was about allowing us to change the controller binds freely and in the SS I see buttons that aren't assigned to anything, not just one specific combination that absolutely has to be used together.

2 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Hopefully that clears things up yes ?

It doesn't because I don't see controller binds anywhere near as limited as you do if we were given the option to actually bind them as we please. Which again is what I thought this topic was about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Leyvonne said:

Is it? I thought the topic was about allowing us to change the controller binds freely and in the SS I see buttons that aren't assigned to anything, not just one specific combination that absolutely has to be used together.

It's both... I happened to only comment on one of those things...

19 minutes ago, Leyvonne said:

It doesn't because I don't see controller binds anywhere near as limited as you do if we were given the option to actually bind them as we please. Which again is what I thought this topic was about.

Then you haven't played Street Fighter V.... They added a new mechanic a while back that requires yet another Macro on top of the 10 Pre-existing ones... It's a colossal nightmare 😱 !!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Lutesque said:

True.... But like I said... You would need to play using your Middle finger for that argument to be valid... Since most people don't play that way... Any Modal Functions mapped Specifically to the Right Trigger would go unused anyway...

allow me to literally repeat the exact words i just said. 

10 hours ago, taiiat said:

that doesn't mean you can't have a function there. very few approaching zero of the functions in the game are something you are doing at all times.

you aren't going to be using all functions simultaneously. spreading your Controls out helps you multi-task, because you aren't going to be using all functions simultaneously.

 

8 hours ago, Leyvonne said:

We have a ton of button combinations on PC that are extremely uncomfortable or hard to reach at the same time (for me crtl + shift is the hardest), but we aren't forced to use them that way.

the most important part being, we can put our functions anywhere we please, to accomodate as many preferences as possible!

Edited by taiiat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, taiiat said:

you aren't going to be using all functions simultaneously. spreading your Controls out helps you multi-task, because you aren't going to be using all functions simultaneously.

Yes.... But since the Ability Menu is a modal function it will inevitably be pressed simulatenously with another button.... Ergo... That means certain Buttons just won't work.... Unless you add more Fingers....

Am I explaining this wrong... ? I feel like a visual aid would help but sadly I don't have any... 😞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...