I have questions for Loki players

(XBOX)Ampathetiic

Question

Loki is a frame with a kit that seems to be pretty outdated. As far as I can tell, he's effective, but lacks the same design as the more recent frames/reworks. I see the rework threads every so often, but I personally don't play a ton of Loki, so I can't say if they're good ideas or not. Therefore, I want to know some things about Loki from the people that actually play him.

1. How effective is Loki at content that isn't a Spy mission? What does he do well? Where does he struggle?

2. In Spy, how does Loki compare to Ivara? what differences matter for reasons other than personal preference?

3. How fun would you say Loki's kit is? What do you enjoy about playing him? What do you find boring about him?

4. How mandatory is the Helminth system for making Loki effective? How mandatory are augment mods?

5. How much use do you get out of Loki's wall hang passive outside of that one riven challenge?

6. How often are you able to place a Decoy in a way that tricks enemy AI across several mission types?

7. Are you satisfied with Invisibility? Could it be better? Is the screen tint annoying to you?

8. How often do you get use out of Switch Teleport outside of Spy missions? Is the augment needed? Is there any reason to switch with an enemy?

9. Does Radial Disarm make gameplay less fun?

10. Is modding made more or less enjoyable when strength isn't a factor?

11. What does Loki provide in a team setting? Is Loki more of a solo frame? Should Loki be a solo frame?

12. Are there any interactions or mechanics that you feel Loki players are sleeping on? How useful are these interactions/mechanics in general gameplay?

I don't expect people to answer every question (although I'd like that) but any answered questions would help.

7 answers to this question

I've played as Loki for several years. Started playing during open beta and only switched to other frames to get MR. Didn't even care when prime came out, because of how little of an upgrade it was. Lately, I rarely ever use him.

On 2021-05-06 at 10:58 PM, (XBOX)Regxxh said:

1. How effective is Loki at content that isn't a Spy mission? What does he do well? Where does he struggle?

Less effective than many other frames. He's good at being invisible and getting deleted the moment you get damaged. Back in the day I enjoyed the danger of being obliterated at any moment - nowadays I'm far too lazy to deal with unpredictable unpolished AI to get mediocre results.

2. In Spy, how does Loki compare to Ivara? what differences matter for reasons other than personal preference?

I recently use Ivara most of the time cause of her augment and arrows. Lower speed doesn't matter because there are ways to bypass it. You can't fail as her, really, while as Loki you still gotta use your brain a little.

3. How fun would you say Loki's kit is? What do you enjoy about playing him? What do you find boring about him?

He was fun 8 years ago. We have stuff like Octavia and Ivara now. Their kits achieve better results and have more functionality. I don't have a problem with simplistic kits, but he hasn't really received any love for years now. Also I've used him for several hundred hours so yeah - I'm bored.

4. How mandatory is the Helminth system for making Loki effective? How mandatory are augment mods?

I almost never use his 1 or 3. I only use his 3 to fix some bugged out AI. He basically has 2 helminth slots, but I don't feel like he actually needs them. More like, his 2 abilities are so pathetic that I might as well replace them with something relatively useful. As for augments - only used the one with rads for his 4. Might mess you up if you're not careful, so I'm not a big fan of that one either.

5. How much use do you get out of Loki's wall hang passive outside of that one riven challenge?

It works great as a reminder that DE don't care.

6. How often are you able to place a Decoy in a way that tricks enemy AI across several mission types?

Almost never. Didn't bother with it even 8 years ago. Stealth and disarm are the only tools I need to control AI.

7. Are you satisfied with Invisibility? Could it be better? Is the screen tint annoying to you?

One of the updates nerfed it and made its melee-boost work in a messed up way. Several times I noticed that AI didn't care about it and still shot me - probably a bug at the time. Its simplistic, does its job for the most part. Tint is annoying, the fact that it hides my fashion is annoying too. It has been annoying for 8 years.

8. How often do you get use out of Switch Teleport outside of Spy missions? Is the augment needed? Is there any reason to switch with an enemy?

Kind of replied to that one already. Augment is useless to me - I don't care about it. As for enemy switching - never used it seriously. If it worked like it did in a very old trailer, by basically placing enemy aggro on the goon you switched with - it would maybe worth using. But then it would COMPLETELY murder the Decoy and we can't have that lmao

Not for me. I always liked it as a form of CC. It was more fun back when it could explodify certain grineer units though, thats for sure.

Since its DE we're talking about - I'm glad they didn't mess with it by adding their oh-so-favourite multipliers and other crap to "balance" things out. On the other hand - it kinda sucks that Loki has 0 depth in that regard. I don't mind it in the end though.

11. What does Loki provide in a team setting? Is Loki more of a solo frame? Should Loki be a solo frame?

Warframe is too braindead to be a "co-op" experience, so I don't really bother with that crap. Like, uh... Example: Loki has CC - oh wow, he's a team frame because he can keep squishy frames from being shot, while not completely immobilizing AI! He can also revive downed teammates thanks to his invisibility. But like, if you use your brain, you can call ANY frame a team frame. Rhino - buffs the team and has CC. Octavia - buffs the team and has CC. Revenant - buffs the team(skin+reave) and has CC. Some frames are better at it than others, but in the end you just shoot dumb AI with 3 other people instead of doing it alone. As for solo - any frame is a solo frame too, you can have complete self-sustain on most frames. Hell, thats not even mentioning supporting equipment and systems.

12. Are there any interactions or mechanics that you feel Loki players are sleeping on? How useful are these interactions/mechanics in general gameplay?

His kit is extremely simple and his augments are mediocre. Even if someone is sleeping on some eldritch truth when it comes to Loki, it doesn't matter because they get 1% worse results than they could've.

Loki is just outdated. His kit, while not terrible and perfectly functional, became too bland and weak over the years. For example - Octavia easily replaces him in most scenarios, be it defensive, offensive or stealth missions.

On 2021-05-06 at 5:03 PM, Lutesque said:

Disarm Speeding Up Enemies hence some Loki's forget that they don't have to use the Augment all the time

Is this an actual interaction? I can't find it listed anywhere, and haven't noticed a speed increase myself. Unless I'm reading this wrong, and you mean that melee enemies are moving towards you quicker because they don't slow down to shoot you.

1. He is an invisibility frame, so pretty much viable for content of any level, as long as you don't have to protect anything, because his crowd control (his fourth ability) is kinda average. 

2. Ivara has her Augment for her three, which enables her to walk through lasers. Loki has his teleport and is a bit faster, if you can avoid those lasers.

3. His invisibility is pretty much his most valuable asset...and perhaps the only really interesting ability. With the right setup Octavia, Ash and also Wisp are far superior, because they have more abilities that don't suck...But he is kinda interesting with the Equinox's ability to make animals and enemies go to sleep.

4. Like I said you pretty much only play Loki for his invisibility. So, Helminth is not mandatory but too valuable to pass on that.

5. Didn't get too much into that, but for wall hanging rivens, Loki is greatI guess...

6. Rarely. Very Rarely.

7. Invisibility is his best ability, it's definitely not the one that needs an overhaul. The augment mod could be better though.

8. There are moments when I have difficulties getting through a laser wall, that is the moment it really shines.

9. Nah, it's kinda just there.

10. It's definitely interesting and opens up a bunch of unusual Helminth combinations, like Equinox Rest and Rage Spam for example.

11. Loki is a frame that is...there. He is neither annoying nor advantageous in coop. And in Solo as stated there are other frames that do a better job.

12. Not really...

Conclusion: As of the current state of the game, Loki is...unnecessary. His invisibility makes him one of the best endgame frames in theory, but he is outclassed by at least 4 other frames. He has nothing to distinguish himself from Ash, Octavia or Wisp. If you go for Loki Prime you either want mastery points, prestige or just to help your local economy. He definitely belongs in the rather large category of frames that really need a rework.

6 hours ago, (XBOX)Regxxh said:

His invisibility makes him a good frame for weapon-based playstyle, and he's good for teleporting janky targets out of harms way (plague star drone comes to mind).

It depends a lot on the tile. Loki doesn't need an augment to bypass some lasers, and he doesn't get slowed down by his invisibility. And loud weapons don't break his invisibility. Generally, Ivara for Grineer tiles, Loki for Corpus, Limbo for Lua.

I do like his kit. I'd say with a few touch ups in his kit without changing the core of his abilities and he'd become a much better frame.

Not at all, not even with Arcane Arachne or the riven challenge. I have max range Equinox for that.

Very, very rarely. To the point it barely is a thing. That's one of the things needing improvements the most, along with Teleport.

I love his invisibility, quite simple and straightforward, doesn't prevent Arcane Energize from triggering. But the tint could go away. Not the invisibility visual itself, tho. I'd tolerate it becoming like Ivara Prime's, but not Wisp's.

Outside of janky mechanics which can be fixed by teleport, or trolling other players, nah, not much. I like teleport, but it could very well be merged with decoy.

No, I like it. And the potential it has to synergize with decoy. If decoy became better.

About same, same. The fact that I don't need strenght means I can go all in on the other stats. Namely duration, or duration+range. Efficiency is pretty much unneeded when Loki is able to rely on Flow+Energize due to the lack of ability toggles.

Nowadays, yeah, more solo. But in some niche settings it can still be useful to lure targets out of their hiding spots after taking their guns away. Speed Nova + Radial Loki on some defenses comes to mind. Even though most nukes would make such a strategy meaningless in most scenarios.

I feel like his decoy + teleport is a hidden gem for some spies, and what allows him to bypass some lasers easily. It's not a secret, but it's bot obvious either. So some of the less experienced players can take a while to figure it out. And his 4th's augment can be quite powerful in some cases.

---

All that said, and for clarity, I don't currently use Loki as much as I once did. He was my starter, and the frame I discovered the starchart with. I was around Neptune or Uranus before I got my first built frame, Rhino, because Loki was everything I needed and mastered. In fact, funny enough, Loki Prime is still my most used frame, and Loki is my 3rd. Even after several years. Heh-heh.

inHUsOZ.png

So I'd love for some touch-ups and making him better, but still revolving around his current kit.

23 hours ago, (XBOX)Regxxh said:

He's good on missions like like capture, exterminate, sabotage (heat) - basically anything that's always on the move. Anything stationary for Grineer/Corpus is manageable if Loki has a constant source of energy for Radial Disarm. Infested maybe a little harder since Ancient Disruptors reduce the effects of Irradiating Disarm.

Decoy, in general use, hardly has a chance to do anything due to it's low survivability. Safeguard Switch (or Banish) is piratically mandatory if you want to get more use out of it besides switching spots.

Loki is more "move faster" than Ivara if you know the layout, the mechanics of the spy vault, and good parkour control. Ivara is somewhat slow and is more like training wheels with her kit.

His kit is more like a novelty than practical. Even though he's simple yet somewhat effective, his Decoy and Switch Teleport needs to be adjusted to be more general-use than niche. Personally, I like to use him in stealth syndicate-standing farm; something about the finesse in that playstyle just feels engrossing.

Most of the abilities on Helminth is more adding than complementing Loki's kit. They're good in giving him more purpose (being able to kill with abilities, another cc) but very few has an impact on raising the effectiveness of the frame itself. Though now that I think about that's kind of the case with all Warframes.

It's very niche for any of his augments to be mandatory.

Extremely little like that one Lua spy that has those squares you need to wall hang on.

Only if I have Safeguard Switch or some other form that allows it to stay longer without it getting killed.

I'm satisfied with how it currently is. It could maybe be better, but that may lead to it being convoluted. The screen tint is nonexistent, unless it does effect the colorblind.

Sortie Recue with the augment. With an enemy? No.

No. I mean if your weapons are well modded Disarm practically eliminates the range threat, if not well you're at risk especially on things that needs defending.

10. Is modding made more or less enjoyable when strength isn't a factor?.

As of right now neither. With the way his kit is spread out on duration, range, and efficiency and the Corrupted mods stats Loki can emphasis one ability and have a different performance from another.

Eliminating the range threat if the team can't handle it, something I expect with low-gear/modding players. He's solo if the mission isn't working against his kit, like Excavation, and his weapons can do the killings. Should he be solo? No. I rather have him be something you bring to compliment another than to simply exist and doing their own thing with a group.

Safeguard Switch. It's one of those abilities that has the potential to cause future problems, but because there's nothing currently demanding enough to put it in the spotlight it's left alone. 

15 hours ago, (XBOX)Regxxh said:

Invisibility = immortality. Loki is untouchable in the right hands. Since we have enough options to deal massive damage with weapons, Loki does not struggle to kill stuff even at higher lvls. It is tricky to defend stuff with Loki though.
Finaly, Loki is the ultimate utility frame. He will do basic utility tasks, like catching fish, mining, scaning undisrupted.

I would say he is faster, but it's mostly preference.

He is designed to be a utility/infiltrater frame. I find he is doing exceptionally well in this role. In combat he is on the boring side, mostly just a weapon platform.

With Rest you can do easy animal hunting. Helminth & augemnts don't change his combat presence much.

None, since wall latching is just a gimmick and has no purpose in the game.

This strategy was severely nerfed ages ago. You can still use it to clump disarmed enemies in one spot, but numerous displacement abilities (like Larva, Ensnare or Airburst) are available to Helminth and are more simple to execute.  Just one of the many examples where clever use of abilities got undermined by power creep & convenienve.

Invisibility = immortality, it can't get better than this. Indiffirent about visuals. What could change? Enemies who counter invis units.

Travel across the map, counter bugs (when AI got stuck in terrain). Safeguard Switch is niche, because demanding/group content is largely ignored by design. Concept behind the augment is ingenious, but it is designed for the wrong game and especialy for the wrong community.

More dangerous for a solo Loki for sure.

With one dump stat it is easier to mode, since you have to make less decisions -> boring and dumbed down.

Scaling CC & safe reviver or LS activator (even though this got outdesigned by Void mode). Loki is an infiltrator, those usually work fine alone.

Loki has simple multipurpose utility abilities, which can be combined for enhanced results and create a natural synergy (not dependency, as all new Frames have). However, all of this is meaningless, since those effects were complessed in 1 button skills on other frames, so that there is nothing left besides Invisibility and generous AoE CC.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)Regxxh said:

How effective is Loki at content that isn't a Spy mission? What does he do well? Where does he struggle?

As long as Killing is not Required... Loki does just as well as the best frames in that content... So things like Interception and.... And..... And I can't think of anything else because DE has indoctrinated us to commit murder Constantly....

The biggest Difference is Loki is signicantly faster and doesn't require an Augment to do Spice Missions...

Ivara is Soooooo slow at this mission type That I don't even consider her a Spy Frame.... She's stealthy sure but prowl giving her Stage 5 Arthritis kinda defeats the purpose...

Well.... That's difficult to say.... He's definitely alot of fun because he specialises in Manipulating AI... Even more so than NYX does.... But with Decoy having 1 HP it's impractical to use. Same goes for Switch Teleport.... It's tons of fun but impractical because it doesn't kill anything.... Not that I would want it to... I definitely don't want that... 

None.... Loki's a sitting duck when he does that....if I'm going to camp somewhere it may aswell be behind some Corner... Not on a wall where everything can Shoot me.... I suppose I can Disarm everything and then Stick to the wall but.... Seriously... Only the Infested can stand a chance of getting to you since they are designed and balanced around being unarmed in the first place.

I hate all methods of Invisibility ever since the Code Talker Mission in Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain.... The only way to get passed the Parasite Unit there undetected is to go invisible.... And even then... It's not like they don't know where you are.... They just don't shoot you because the Invisibility disables that as an option.... 

Invisibility is Terrible.

As for the Screen Tint.... You actually can't see it if you turn off one of the graphics Options... I don't know if it's Dynamic Lighting or HDR.... Or something.... However doing that will Bathe the Orb Vallis in an unrelenting sea of blinding White Snow....

Even with Safeguard switch ? .... Never.... Too cumbersome to do on Controller.

Don't ask why I answered 7 before 6 and skipped # 4.... I just did okay !!! 😝

Its usefulness diminishes as you make more progress.... When you start out it's really good for getting around in the Orb Vallis and Plain and you can even switch with the Dargyn Pilots thus stealing the Dargyn in the Process.... But once you get your Archwing it's kinda useless....

You can also use it to reposition AFK Leechers into oncoming danger to waste their time....

The Augment is not really needed.

Without a doubt Switch Teleport gets the most Value during the Plague Star Event since it's one of only 2 Abilities in the whole game that Actually benefit the Escort Phase of that event.... Only Nova and Loki can relocate the Drone....

I would say that you still get value out of it in Regular Cetus Bounties but apparently they have gotten so buggy lately.... Specifically the Liberation Stages.... Judging from what I'm hearing Loki doesn't stand a chance in hell of overcoming that problem...

Well... Getting shot at is obviously not fun.... But having this as Loki's one good thing that you use 90% of the time kinda makes it not fun either.... It's only boring because there nothing else you can do except keep using it.

Since we have alot of mandatory Mods, it's nice when you don't have your Hands tied by some Restrictions....  That's why I like things that either Ignore a Specific Vector or Scale Alternatively with another Vector.... For example, Nova's Antimatter Drop is not affected by Range and her Molecular Prime's Size scales with Duration not range. Thus you don't have to suffer in Survivability because of not having enough Damage Reduction from those Little Balls from her first Ability that scale with Duration.... And that just leaves Wormhole being the only Ability that gets the short of the Straw.... Is what I would say if the Augment didn't exist to compensate for the lack of Distance  😛.... Nova has everything 😎 !!!

Oh right we are talking about Loki.... It would be good if Loki's other abilities had more uses....

In a Team... He's greatest Contribution is obviously Disarm Making enemies less lethal from a far and Speeding up their AI (you have to remove the Augment to get this benefit).... Beyond that... Not much else... But it's obviously powerful....

None that I can think of.... The only obscure thing is Disarm Speeding Up Enemies hence some Loki's forget that they don't have to use the Augment all the time.... Loki + Speed Nova are still the best combo for Defense Missions...

I don't expect people to answer every question (although I'd like that) but any answered questions would help.

I hope we helped.... Loki is very interesting Warframe and a big part of Warframe history.... Makes for an interesting case study.

Archived