Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we please get a prefer sprint option?

Berzerkules

At the start of every mission the first thing I always do is toggle sprint on. 99.99% of the time I want to sprint not walk. It just seems like an unnecessary step at the start of every mission. The only time I don't sprint is when I'm running fissures on Titania and I have a Volt/Wisp buff my speed. 

It's even worse in open worlds. You toggle sprint on your frame like you do in every mission but then go to archwing and you have to toggle sprint again for archwing. The problem is when you toggle sprint in your archwing it also effects your frame and mech so you just toggled sprint off for your frame and mech. At least that's what I think is happening, it could just default back to walk when leaving archwing. Either way, it gets annoying having to toggle sprint every time you go and forth between awchwing and frame. 

It's also unnecessary wear and tear in your controller since the default sprint is L3. I've gone through 2 controllers playing this game, the little pin in the joysticks that activates L3 broke on both of them. Everything else on the controllers function perfectly.

If we had a prefer sprint option like we do for prefer map overlay I would be a happy tenno. 

5 minutes ago, Berzerkules said:

At the start of every mission the first thing I always do is toggle sprint on. 99.99% of the time I want to sprint not walk. It just seems like an unnecessary step at the start of every mission. The only time I don't sprint is when I'm running fissures on Titania and I have a Volt/Wisp buff my speed. 

It's even worse in open worlds. You toggle sprint on your frame like you do in every mission but then go to archwing and you have to toggle sprint again for archwing. The problem is when you toggle sprint in your archwing it also effects your frame and mech so you just toggled sprint off for your frame and mech. At least that's what I think is happening, it could just default back to walk when leaving archwing. Either way, it gets annoying having to toggle sprint every time you go and forth between awchwing and frame. 

It's also unnecessary wear and tear in your controller since the default sprint is L3. I've gone through 2 controllers playing this game, the little pin in the joysticks that activates L3 broke on both of them. Everything else on the controllers function perfectly.

If we had a prefer sprint option like we do for prefer map overlay I would be a happy tenno. 

YES! I hate the way it is set up now. I have been saying this for awhile. It goes without saying sprint should turn off if you go invis on ivara etc, but having to remember every mission everything after a load time you have to press the sprint button again is so annoying/

1 minute ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

YES! I hate the way it is set up now. I have been saying this for awhile. It goes without saying sprint should turn off if you go invis on ivara etc, but having to remember every mission everything after a load time you have to press the sprint button again is so annoying/

I think that's why I don't like playing Ivara, it just feels so slow compared to everything else in the game.

Warframe is such a fast paced game with a unique fluid movement system yet we start every mission walking. It drives me crazy.

10 minutes ago, Berzerkules said:

I think that's why I don't like playing Ivara, it just feels so slow compared to everything else in the game.

Warframe is such a fast paced game with a unique fluid movement system yet we start every mission walking. It drives me crazy.

well you only need to be invisible for specific things. I actually have to remember to use bullet jump on other frames because I was rolling all the time on Limbo and Ivara lol

7 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

well you only need to be invisible for specific things. I actually have to remember to use bullet jump on other frames because I was rolling all the time on Limbo and Ivara lol

I'm the exact opposite, I play with rolling guard so much I've trained myself to not roll. Playing low lvl fissures and stuff feels weird and I have to tell myself "It's ok, I didn't waste that roll, I'm not going to die, the enemies are only lvl 30."

that's probably another reason Ivara feels weird to me. I'm forces to roll

28 minutes ago, Berzerkules said:

I'm the exact opposite, I play with rolling guard so much I've trained myself to not roll. Playing low lvl fissures and stuff feels weird and I have to tell myself "It's ok, I didn't waste that roll, I'm not going to die, the enemies are only lvl 30."

that's probably another reason Ivara feels weird to me. I'm forces to roll

rolling guard works really well on Limbo especially. I instinctively roll in and out of the rift if I am in a place where I will potentially take a lot of damage. So when I roll out of the rift, I make sure I get that invincibility, handle what I need to, then roll back in.

But for Ivara, I don't feel I absolutely need rolling guard. I think I have it on her, but yea you just have to roll for increased movement speed anyway.

33 minutes ago, Berzerkules said:

I'm the exact opposite, I play with rolling guard so much I've trained myself to not roll.

This is the biggest problem I have with rolling guard. I play mostly Conclave, and spend my time using the mobility system to the absolute maximum. I'm rolling at every opportunity - forwards, sideways, or backwards all the time. Rolling guard is useless for me because my playstyle means it's basically always on cooldown whenever I actually need it. It's a really interesting mod, but sadly it disincentivizes actually using a high-mobility playstyle since you need to keep your roll cooldown available. 

When I play PvE, It basically rewards me for avoiding using the mobility system until a critical moment. This is an interesting concept, but it should be "roll after shield break" to gain temporary immunity instead of what it is now. 

In the end it's another great idea but poorly implemented. Due to the poor implementation it ends up simply being a niche use for certain uses, like

12 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

on Limbo

14 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

rolling guard works really well on Limbo especially. I instinctively roll in and out of the rift if I am in a place where I will potentially take a lot of damage. So when I roll out of the rift, I make sure I get that invincibility, handle what I need to, then roll back in.

Limbo was the first frame I ever used rolling guard on. It's perfect for him, roll out the rift with invulnerability to cast or attack and roll back in for the cool down. I'd occasionally get stuck playing him in  kuva survivals, at first I hated it but I started to enjoy the frame once i worked out a build learned his mechanics. 

7 minutes ago, Sevek7 said:

This is the biggest problem I have with rolling guard. I play mostly Conclave, and spend my time using the mobility system to the absolute maximum. I'm rolling at every opportunity - forwards, sideways, or backwards all the time. Rolling guard is useless for me because my playstyle means it's basically always on cooldown whenever I actually need it. It's a really interesting mod, but sadly it disincentivizes actually using a high-mobility playstyle since you need to keep your roll cooldown available. 

When I play PvE, It basically rewards me for avoiding using the mobility system until a critical moment. This is an interesting concept, but it should be "roll after shield break" to gain temporary immunity instead of what it is now. 

In the end it's another great idea but poorly implemented. Due to the poor implementation it ends up simply being a niche use for certain uses, like

Rolling Guard takes some getting used for sure. When I first started using it was always on cool down when I needed it. I find myself using more melee combos for mobility now though. I've limited myself in one aspect but my workaround feels even more engaging. Now how stances feel and to mobility they provide matter to me more than base stats on a melee weapon. It probably would be totally different in conclave though.

17 minutes ago, Berzerkules said:
Rolling Guard takes some getting used for sure. When I first started using it was always on cool down when I needed it. I find myself using more melee combos for mobility now though. I've limited myself in one aspect but my workaround feels even more engaging. Now how stances feel and to mobility they provide matter to me more than base stats on a melee weapon. It probably would be totally different in conclave though.

EDIT: I made some mistake and now the quote seems to quote myself even though it's actually you. I cannot find a way to change it back. These forums are weird!

Unfortunately, yes. Conclave would be great if melee had super mobile high-damage combos but with high-risk. Sadly, the recent (last two years?) melee update carried over to conclave [without a a conclave balance pass] and so you can basically spam melee combos while enjoying 100% melee block to be invincible and also doing huge damage to anybody you encounter. So yes you're correct but it's kind of silly, to the point where most veteran conclave players (myself included) refuse to use melee at all because it's basically absurdly overpowered. 

So yes, I could  use stances instead for general mobility and then rolls for the immunity, but every fiber of "conclave honor" inside me forbids it. 

Personally, I prefer rolling all the time without worrying about immunity frame durations. There's plenty of other tactics I can use to survive even without rolling guard, so I'm not to worried :)

Anyway, it's a bit off topic at this point. I fully support your idea for a "default sprint" setting :)

1 hour ago, Berzerkules said:

With the prowl augment and some strength, you can get pretty fast with double jump and rolling. You’re also still able to use your operators dash :)

13 minutes ago, Sevek7 said:

EDIT: I made some mistake and now the quote seems to quote myself even though it's actually you. I cannot find a way to change it back. These forums are weird!

Unfortunately, yes. Conclave would be great if melee had super mobile high-damage combos but with high-risk. Sadly, the recent (last two years?) melee update carried over to conclave [without a a conclave balance pass] and so you can basically spam melee combos while enjoying 100% melee block to be invincible and also doing huge damage to anybody you encounter. So yes you're correct but it's kind of silly, to the point where most veteran conclave players (myself included) refuse to use melee at all because it's basically absurdly overpowered. 

So yes, I could  use stances instead for general mobility and then rolls for the immunity, but every fiber of "conclave honor" inside me forbids it. 

Personally, I prefer rolling all the time without worrying about immunity frame durations. There's plenty of other tactics I can use to survive even without rolling guard, so I'm not to worried :)

Anyway, it's a bit off topic at this point. I fully support your idea for a "default sprint" setting :)

Even though I don't play conclave I totally understand why you're against using melee.

Up until I a few years ago I was still really into legit duels in Diablo 2. I was in a clan that had ~100 active members that just focused on good manner duels.  We'd have tournaments about once a month for sorc v sorc, barb v barb, low lvl, 2v2, 4v4 etc... and each tournament would have a different set of good manner rules that were several pages long. We would buy in with forum gold on d2jsp and winners get paid out, clan leaders would also donate gear for the winners. There were pretty damn serious about it actually, everyone was expected to act honorably because they represented the clan and people would get kicked if they were bad manner in pubs or tried to scam trades. 

Anyways, yeah I guess I kinda derailed my own topic. 

13 hours ago, Berzerkules said:

It's even worse in open worlds. You toggle sprint on your frame like you do in every mission but then go to archwing and you have to toggle sprint again for archwing.

The same applies to frames (certain abilities like Lavos' Vial rush, or Zephyr's Brake). I and other posted about this problem since Lavos update. After Lavos, Zephyr got that bug as well.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

I agree. Over the years it really becomes a nuisance.. and on top of that, DE always brings new ways for abilities/vehicles/actions to constantly untoggle sprint, which always takes forever to be addressed. (Or not at all)

With an option like that, it would be fixed forever. And since it'll be optional, those who like to not sprint can continue to do so. 

It just seems so obvious to me to have a prefer sprint option. 

Why have a needless button press at the beginning of each mission or every time you enter/exit archwing/mech? Since sprint has been toggled on, you obviously want to sprint, there is no reason to default back to walk every time you enter/exit archwing/mech. If you're doing a tier 5 bounty you end up toggling sprint like a dozen times throughout a 15 minute mission.

I don't know how testers and devs don't get as annoyed as I do having to retoggle sprint all the time. Maybe they just play walking all the time.

18 hours ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

DE always brings new ways for abilities/vehicles/actions to constantly untoggle sprint, which always takes forever to be addressed. (Or not at all)

13 hours ago, Berzerkules said:

It just seems so obvious to me to have a prefer sprint option.

100% agree. There must have been hundreds of forum posts about this over the years, and it was mentioned in a Devstream at some point, yet nothing ever changed.

Most likely, there is one specific person on the devteam, who insists it stays the way it is for his personal preference. I really cannot come up with any other explanation why common sense has not prevailed yet (and may well never do!).

Archived