Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

At What Point Do You Give Up on the Grind?

(XBOX)Dylan OConor

Question

So, as a relatively new player to Warframe, I was curious what the general community's take on that question is - I'm not trying to start a debate about how grindy is 'too grindy'; I'm just asking, at what point do you say 'okay, this just isn't worth it any more; no matter how entertaining the ultimate frame/weapon I'm chasing might be, it's just not worth doing an activity I no longer find fun'? I've been grinding for Khora's Neuroptics for nearly a week now - several dozen runs at least - and it's at the point where I'm doing everything I can to not play the game whilst I'm playing the game: I'm using Wukong and a Vulpaphyla so the two of them can do all the work, and I'm literally just standing in a corner for half the match whilst I read on my phone rather than, you know, actually playing. (Don't worry, I'm doing these solo, I wouldn't do that in a public match.)

So the question, again: when does the tedium of repetition overwhelm the desire to get the shiny thing you're after? Should I just give up on getting Khora? It's not like I don't have other stuff to do in the game, and I'm at the point where I feel like I either need to quit trying to get this, or I'm going to quit Warframe all together. But at the same time, the sunk cost fallacy is real: that's probably ten hours of my life, wasted, grinding out Khora's blueprints - you can't even say 'oh, at least I was gathering other resources', because there aren't any in that particular game mode. And it's really hard to 'let that go', because if I do, that means I have wasted those hours, and that makes it hard to work up any enthusiasm for the rest of the game, given that I feel like I'm just going to hit another 'waste' around the corner. 

Thoughts?

This only applies to things with absolute trash rng or trash dropchances (0.X% mods for example).

If I can buy it: When farming the plat for it in trade chat is/seems faster and less annoying.

If I can't buy it: I don't give up. I might take an extended break from the content though and come back later.

When the farm tackles multiple things early on, like Deimos Vaults (standing, arcana, necramech mods, weapon parts etc.) I play it without issues. I just get annoyed when I'm missing one or two things and they wont drop and I have to repeat it over and over for what is basically nothing. This - for me - caused a lot of dislike for certain areas and I never play them again once I got what I wanted because all the fun it might have been got sucked out and replaced by aversion and disdain (Eidolons and Deimos Vaults for example).

I really liked Orphix Venom for being different in that regard. No matter what, you progressed to what you wanted by playing it. There was a maximum estimation to the end point of the grind and you weren't reliant on your luck.

I tend to give up when it becomes apparent that farming prime stuff to sell is a more effective way to get what I am after. Then it’s just a case of doing that and buying the thing. That or not playing the game for a while.

Archived