Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lua lenses and expected focus

qpirsel

Question

Hi!

A while ago I started farming focus with the regular lenses and was impressed of the decent focus I've earned. So I got a good impression how much I should expect in various missions like ESO in avarage. As times go by I farmed/bought the parts for some Lua lenses and replaced all regualr lenses on my prefered weapons. From the first day it feels that I don't get much more focus than with the regular ones.

Although I know that it really depends on many circumstances how much focus one will earn (see Wiki) per run it still feels that I get much less than I would expect. Yesterday I did some leveling with a clan mate and after we've finished the run we compared our equipment step by step. While my clan mate had only a regular lens in his primary weapon I had a lua lens in my melee weapon and a regular in my warframe. No one had a booster or used active WF abilities worth mentioning. And although I did 1/3 more kills with my melee weapon I only got ~25% more focus in total.

Where is the mistake in my calculation?

10 answers to this question

I'm not sure you made a mistake in your calculations, but with focus, a lot of factors come into play.  One being shared affinity when with other players.

Focus lens's convert excess affinity into focus points.  So remember, only use fully ranked frames and weapons when focus farming.
Also, consider the way affinity is distributed, if the frame you're using doesn't have a lens attached, there's a waste of points, because even if you only killed with the lens-equipped weapon, 50% of the affinity still goes to the frame.

I would recommend watching a guide on focus farming to help you get the best efficiency.
Or if you prefer, perhaps go back to the wiki and read over the section about Focus Gain and Affinity Distribution.

Shared affinity is complicated yet straight forward once you understand it. If you are running ESO with your clan, try going with just your melee weapon. No primary, no secondary. This way, squad kills will net you 75% of the shared affinity on your melee focus lens.

If you really want to farm focus, go on a solo murder spree with Ivara and solely perform stealth finisher kills so as to get build up to the 500% bonus. Yeah, sure it's not zipping thru a mission at break neck speed BUT the amount of focus you'll be able to pick up when done right is fantastic, even more so if you have greater or Lua lenses on all of your kit and warframe.

Thank's for the replies. I know the quides how to grind focus exceptionally fast. But I guess those are hardly to compare with the avarage focus gain during missions or even ESO and they are out the scope of my initial question. We had a relative defined situation during the test run (which wasn't ESO by the way) and think we've considered all factors which are described in the Wiki (much more I've mentioned in my initial post).

Anyway, it seems that even after reading all the facts in the wiki I still don't understand the system at all.

24 minutes ago, qpirsel said:

Thank's for the replies. I know the quides how to grind focus exceptionally fast. But I guess those are hardly to compare with the avarage focus gain during missions or even ESO and they are out the scope of my initial question. We had a relative defined situation during the test run (which wasn't ESO by the way) and think we've considered all factors which are described in the Wiki (much more I've mentioned in my initial post).

Anyway, it seems that even after reading all the facts in the wiki I still don't understand the system at all.

You're right, you don't understand shared affinity. You didn't get much more because YOU GAVE him all his focus points.

On 2021-05-11 at 5:51 AM, qpirsel said:

If you want to do a slightly more controlled experiment, it might be better to compare results solo rather than having any other players in the session with you.  This will remove shared affinity from the equation and let you test different lenses on different equipment with only your own actions contributing to affinity gains. 

Alternatively, you could exploit shared affinity to verify the different results on different types of lenses.  For example, if you equipped three weapons:  a primary with a lua lens, a secondary with a normal lens and a melee with whatever, then entered ESO with a random group and ONLY used your melee (or warframe abilities) for the session, then each of your primary and secondary would get an equal amount of affinity from shared affinity and zero from your own actions.  If you then compare how much focus the primary and secondary gained, I think you'd find that the primary gained 3.25 times as much as your secondary.

Archived