Jump to content

Recommended Posts

This idea was spurred by me playing Vauban, and my friend playing Grendel.
Put down the speed booster pads, and let Grendel knock over the enemies.
This quickly transitioned into ideas for bowling, skeeball, pachinko, and quite a few other games before we realized the easiest to build in the dojo would be Pinball... and then nobody built it because we realized that pinball needs bumpers and flippers which are controlled by the player, and won't work in the dojo because of how the scoring system would work, And then... realized it would be a good addition to the Ludoplex. By no means am I saying that DE "should" build this, because it would probably be time better spent on other things. And I'm aware that this is horrible timing with Tennocon looming, but I figure, I should at least drop this in here for future reference.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be much better as actual gameplay thing for Grendel's 4.

As in....Hold M1 to "charge" the shot, release it to launch forward at high speed (similar to pinball launching).  Hold M2 to bounce off of the walls. Gain speed with each bounce. Release M2 to stop bouncing and decelerate.

Can even get damage bonuses by bouncing off of someone's "static object ability" like Snowglobe or Glass wall or Vauban's pads.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I second this.

There should be a thread for Ludoplex ideas: it's a pity Simaris only ships 3 games...

 

(hint: Railjack 2d side scroller game against Sentient crafts, like R-Type or Zero Wing? That Corpus captain doing "Launch Torpedos" - "Launch Ramsled" with the same emphasis of "Take off every ZIG" is basically calling for it)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

know what might have a bigger impact? Warframe Football (or Soccer, for you silly yanks)

I GUARANTEE you'd see more Brazillian, English and Spanish Tenno coming out the woodwork than you thought possible lol. teams could be themed on each warframe (e.g. Excalibur Utd V Nekros Reapers FC, with Grendel as the Ball, Umbra as the referee and Cephalon Cy on the controversial VAR. plenty options for football chants too.

YOU'RE SKOOOOOOOOM AN' YOU KNOW YOU ARE!
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kainosh said:

It would be much better as actual gameplay thing for Grendel's 4.

As in....Hold M1 to "charge" the shot, release it to launch forward at high speed (similar to pinball launching).  Hold M2 to bounce off of the walls. Gain speed with each bounce. Release M2 to stop bouncing and decelerate.

Can even get damage bonuses by bouncing off of someone's "static object ability" like Snowglobe or Glass wall or Vauban's pads.  

 

Why not just make Grendel's 4 play like Katamari Damashii?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Fallen77 said:

Or we could go play any pinball game out there.

Ludoplex was a mistake, only wasting precious dev time for nothing.

Didn’t the devs decide to implement it themselves? 🤔 

If that was the case, it sounds like it was something they wanted in their game

edit: Oh yeah, +1 for the Grendel Pinball on the Ludoplex idea

Edited by (NSW)Greybones
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
il y a 15 minutes, (NSW)Greybones a dit :

Didn’t the devs decide to implement it themselves? 🤔 

If that was the case, it sounds like it was something they wanted in their game

edit: Oh yeah, +1 for the Grendel Pinball on the Ludoplex idea

Yes, and it was all a mistake. The fact that they wanted it doesn't contradict what I said. I figured that they weren't forced to code it into the game at gunpoint but thanks for clarifying.

It's the most content island of content islands, not giving anything to the player.

It's just 3 games that already exist elsewhere, but much clunkier due to the use of existing assets (and thank god they didn't waste even more time on creating new ones). You can get the same experience for free and with much more polish anywhere else.

It's not something like the shawzin where people can actually create music, it doesn't give any progress toward anything in the rest of the game (except for the once in a blue moon inconcequential NW daily), it just badly copies already existing games. It is a pure waste of time and money.

So yeah, let's waste a hundred hours of dev time and however much money it costs to asset flip a worst version of an existing game that won't bring back a cent to DE so that a minority of players can play it for 5 minutes before realising they also wasted their time, sounds reasonnable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Fallen77 said:

Yes, and it was all a mistake. The fact that they wanted it doesn't contradict what I said. I figured that they weren't forced to code it into the game at gunpoint but thanks for clarifying.

It's the most content island of content islands, not giving anything to the player.

It's just 3 games that already exist elsewhere, but much clunkier due to the use of existing assets (and thank god they didn't waste even more time on creating new ones). You can get the same experience for free and with much more polish anywhere else.

It's not something like the shawzin where people can actually create music, it doesn't give any progress toward anything in the rest of the game (except for the once in a blue moon inconcequential NW daily), it just badly copies already existing games. It is a pure waste of time and money.

So yeah, let's waste a hundred hours of dev time and however much money it costs to asset flip a worst version of an existing game that won't bring back a cent to DE so that a minority of players can play it for 5 minutes before realising they also wasted their time, sounds reasonnable.

Gotta feel free to play around with ideas :P It’s not always about return on investment when it comes to something like game design.

If it was…. oooh, I shudder to think if it was all about ROI. Just the term ROI makes me shudder, haha. That’s the stuff that saps morale and homogenises ideas.

Edited by (NSW)Greybones
Misspelt “Morale”. Though technically it saps Moral too 🤔
Link to post
Share on other sites
il y a 28 minutes, (NSW)Greybones a dit :

Gotta feel free to play around with ideas :P It’s not always about return on investment when it comes to something like game design.

If it was…. oooh, I shudder to think if it was all about ROI. Just the term ROI makes me shudder, haha. That’s the stuff that saps morale and homogenises ideas.

ROI makes any idea possible in the first place. If you don't take this into account, you are doomed to fail and none of your ideas will ever see the light of day ("you" as in DE, another dev, you, me, anyone).

ROI is also a pretty good filter against superfluous ideas in general.

Do not confuse ROI with concepts like constant growth in a finite world and highest possible return on investment. The former is a necessity for most things to function, while the rest is indeed something to be sick about.

And I'd finish by pointing again that a pinball minigame in the vein of the other ludoplex games would be creatively boring and just a strain on DE's finances, for no gain of any kind for DE nor the playerbase. It's not putting a brake on creativity as a all than to oppose a bootleg pinball minigame that you can find countless much better versions of as free flash games. This wouldn't create anything new in the landscape of videogames, this wouldn't even be a good minigame (judging by the standards of past ludoplex games) beyond chuckling at seeing Grendel in a pinball for like 10 seconds at most.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Fallen77 said:

ROI makes any idea possible in the first place. If you don't take this into account, you are doomed to fail and none of your ideas will ever see the light of day ("you" as in DE, another dev, you, me, anyone).

ROI is also a pretty good filter against superfluous ideas in general.

Do not confuse ROI with concepts like constant growth in a finite world and highest possible return on investment. The former is a necessity for most things to function, while the rest is indeed something to be sick about.

And I'd finish by pointing again that a pinball minigame in the vein of the other ludoplex games would be creatively boring and just a strain on DE's finances, for no gain of any kind for DE nor the playerbase. It's not putting a brake on creativity as a all than to oppose a bootleg pinball minigame that you can find countless much better versions of as free flash games. This wouldn't create anything new in the landscape of videogames, this wouldn't even be a good minigame (judging by the standards of past ludoplex games) beyond chuckling at seeing Grendel in a pinball for like 10 seconds at most.

 

Guess I just got schooled :P Teach me to open my big mouth about the dangers of mixing business and art.

I’m afraid we’ll never see eye-to-eye on Grendel Pinball at this rate. Alas, such is the nature of subjective experience.

Still gonna get that Ludoplex from Simaris and see the state of Frame Fighter nowadays 👍 . Last I knew there was some kind of game breaking bug a while ago

Link to post
Share on other sites
il y a 10 minutes, (NSW)Greybones a dit :

Guess I just got schooled :P Teach me to open my big mouth about the dangers of mixing business and art.

I’m afraid we’ll never see eye-to-eye on Grendel Pinball at this rate. Alas, such is the nature of subjective experience.

Still gonna get that Ludoplex from Simaris and see the state of Frame Fighter nowadays 👍 . Last I knew there was some kind of game breaking bug a while ago

Schooling you was not my intention, more sharing my view on the subject. I am the first to mourn the fact that art is so often limited by money, but for having tried to make art while ignoring finances, I know first hand how damaging it can be to not take the big picture into account.

Beyond that, we can indeed agree to disagree on the pinball, and I wish you a lot of fun with it if it ever becomes a reality. But if this becomes a thing, I better not find you complaining about how long the next update is taking to come out ! 😉

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UUDDLRLRBA_START said:

Why not just make Grendel's 4 play like Katamari Damashii?

Because it will have very limited size in smaller tiles.  And none of your teammates will let you get it to any decent size anyway.   At best you will be rolling like 3-4 guys.

Pinball/bowling is a pretty decent idea, as enemies will simply get damaged and ragdolled from collision while you bounce from wall to wall or simply dashing straight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Fallen77 said:

Schooling you was not my intention, more sharing my view on the subject. I am the first to mourn the fact that art is so often limited by money, but for having tried to make art while ignoring finances, I know first hand how damaging it can be to not take the big picture into account.

Beyond that, we can indeed agree to disagree on the pinball, and I wish you a lot of fun with it if it ever becomes a reality. But if this becomes a thing, I better not find you complaining about how long the next update is taking to come out ! 😉

Haha, I can end this discussion on a note like this. I do like the perspectives of others, and I know as well the… challenge of creating in a world that values concrete numbers over more nuanced concepts.

Thanks for the chat, and I’ve got a loooong way to go before I’m complaining about lack of content :P

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2021-05-11 at 9:45 AM, ricuse7 said:

By no means am I saying that DE "should" build this, because it would probably be time better spent on other things.

I somewhat disagree with this line of thinking because otherwise we wouldn't have gotten to experience the joys of playing the Shawzin.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...