Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steelpath Volt Build

(PSN)Senjioh

So its been a few years since I used Volt for anything and I want to update his build for steel path and arbitrations, my initial idea was Aura CP beacuse armor strip followed by Umbra Vitality and Fiber, stretch, overextended, capacitance, streamline, adaptation, prime continuity, with prime sure footed. Arcanes would be energize and guardian, I dont have the standing for the helmith system yet so this build is just for Volts base kit so please keep that in mind when you suggest changes that I have no subsume abilities yet.  Any suggestions are welcome but please no meme stuff I want to try and make a genuine good Volt build for this I already know he can hunt Eidolons. 

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Shocking_Speed

Then you can basically cheese the whole thing in a guaranteed stun-lock.

Alternately you can build around his 4, and just wall glitch stun-lock nuke the whole area, or of course both.

I stopped bringing volt into defense maps, because you actually ruin the game for everyone, by nuking everything through walls, hogging all the action.

Generally, I always go for crowd control first, over armor or health. The stat increase feels more like a backup, in case you do get hit by messing up your rotation, or overlooking something.

For frames that either don't have CC or struggle for other reasons, I started putting radiation on AOE primaries, to add confuse status, such as Cedo alt fire or Bubinoco alt fire. I open up locking the whole area down, rather than trying to trade shots and depend on stats.

The past while I have been playing, I try to spam out CC or even clean out rooms on the go, while the team moves across the map, to help people out. I'd take crowd control over tanking any day of the week.

Especially with corpus, there is always some lamer npc sniping stupid beams at you hiding in some corner. Then you gotta run back and forth all over the place, while they chipping away at you. I got so sick and tired of it.

I actually play by radar now and just CC and Apocalypse Now Valkyrie nuke as large an area as possible. See some red dot on the radar, fire a lenz dart in their general direction midair and run off. Standing there trying to locate and waste time aiming with a single target weapon is for suckers.

So if I was whoring Volt on steel path, I'd run to cover near the fight, so they don't blast me while I cast, stun-lock everything in range, though walls, with his 4, pop out, dust the whole room with radiation AOE, which helps Condition Overload anyway, use his 2 with Shocking speed, for the third stunlock, and melee speed, then go to town on them.

Not to say I don't put extra health, armor etc on frames, or I don't have pure tanks, might aswell come triple-double prepared, but crowd control is numero uno, then damage and then if you have to tank a hit, it allows you to have made that mistake.

/edit

ps. I'd like to recommend checking their lists out over on:

https://overframe.gg/tier-list/primary-weapons/

Not that I agree with everything, like I'd say Xaku is a top tier frame, but it gives you a pretty good idea of which weapons are high-end. Another way you find out, is checking their riven disposition, the better the weapon, the weaker the riven.

To each his own, I don't know what style you like, but one very functional, high-end weapon is the classic Ignis Wraith.

Since you can fire it into a room, from half cover at the door, where they can't hit you, then chain it and use it for CC too. High mag capacity,, crazy range for a flamethrower.

If I remember it right I put radiation for CC and hunter munition crit slash damage on mine.

But you can also check out builds over there for both frames and weapons. I have come to think of my weapons as the damage part of my build and the frame itself as support.

Then I moved that concept into primary weapon being AOE CC, rather than pure damage, and then switch to melee for the damage.

I think maybe I built Ember and Ash to do damage but most of my other frames are utility instead of damage, since I can get damage from weapons, I'd rather have more tools.

... If you're looking to have Volt kill enemies in Steel Path with its abilities, you can forget it...

... What you need is the whole package - Warframe, weapons, Archgun with Gravimag - properly set up for Steel Path. Its usually just a refinement of what they already have equipped...

Oh, and having an intimate knowledge of Volt (not the mods used on it) actually helps more than switching mods around just to make it viable for Steel Path... Start modding it when you have that in-depth understanding of Volt, to improve on things you feel necessary (not the usual debacle you see with builds posted online or from guides) against different factions which, coincidentally, is also a good idea to have different mod configs in place. Aura choices also follow the same idea, choose what you feel that's going to be beneficial against each faction.

2 hours ago, (PSN)Senjioh said:

So its been a few years since I used Volt for anything and I want to update his build for steel path and arbitrations, my initial idea was Aura CP beacuse armor strip followed by Umbra Vitality and Fiber, stretch, overextended, capacitance, streamline, adaptation, prime continuity, with prime sure footed. Arcanes would be energize and guardian, I dont have the standing for the helmith system yet so this build is just for Volts base kit so please keep that in mind when you suggest changes that I have no subsume abilities yet.  Any suggestions are welcome but please no meme stuff I want to try and make a genuine good Volt build for this I already know he can hunt Eidolons. 

A couple of things.

Corrosive Projection in Steel Path is pointless. There are better aura options at this level (armor scaling makes it a tiny difference in damage output... just go corrosive or viral).

Volt does fine against corpus and infested units in Steel Path but really has a hard time with Grineer due to no competent ability to strip 100% armor. Removing lesser amounts of armor from high armor units is progressively less useful as enemy armor values scale. And with the default valuesp present in Steel Path this is even more of an issue.

You said you don't have Helminth so the following isn't really applicable, but for future note:

I'd go Volt with a subsumed Breach Surge. High range shock builds deal a ton of hits per second so this would likely increase damage output potenial sigificantly enough for Volt to be competetive on Grineer missions.

14 hours ago, (PSN)Senjioh said:

Fireblast Volt is good against armored SP enemies. Casting Fireblast x2 does a 75% x 75% x 50% for total 97% armor strip while heat proc still active

vor 14 Stunden schrieb Leqesai:

A couple of things.

Corrosive Projection in Steel Path is pointless. There are better aura options at this level (armor scaling makes it a tiny difference in damage output... just go corrosive or viral).

Volt does fine against corpus and infested units in Steel Path but really has a hard time with Grineer due to no competent ability to strip 100% armor. Removing lesser amounts of armor from high armor units is progressively less useful as enemy armor values scale. And with the default valuesp present in Steel Path this is even more of an issue.

You said you don't have Helminth so the following isn't really applicable, but for future note:

I'd go Volt with a subsumed Breach Surge. High range shock builds deal a ton of hits per second so this would likely increase damage output potenial sigificantly enough for Volt to be competetive on Grineer missions.

I am really interested which Aura is supposed to be better than Corrosive Projection, since it is mathematically proven that it holds the biggest DPS buff.

Volt has absolutely no hard time with Grineer in Steel Path... no frame has, because there are lots of tools in our toolbox that help us deal with armor. To win in Steel Path you need the following:
a) Armor Strip
Easily done via Slash Weapons, Viral/Heat or Corrosive... Volt can buff his attack speed, so that is no big deal.

b) CC
Volt is a great CC frame, just mod for duration + range + maybe casting speed.

c) survivability
Just equip Vitality+Adaptation for Steel Path or Brief Respite/Augur/Rolling Guard/CC imunity for even more difficult content.

d) damage
Create a good Melee Weapon with the right mods and you can kill anything. Just don't forget about enemies who are status immune (Sentients, Stalker), because they can be a real pain to kill if you have the wrong weapon.

e) not really needed, but helps very well: Speed and movement
The faster and more you move, the less you get hit.

Every single frame is competitive in Steel Path and can do it. There are just some frames who do it way better than others. For example, the forums fiend Nyx is amazing in Steel Path if you equip Khoras Ensnare as her 1. But Volt is by no means bad....

4 hours ago, Dunkelheit said:

Easily done via Slash Weapons, Viral/Heat or Corrosive... Volt can buff his attack speed, so that is no big deal.

Nothing about what you said is volt-specific. Equipping weapons that are effective against grineer is obviously going to work but there is nothing in Volt's kit that specifically strips enemy armor. Also, none of the things you listed actually strip armor. They reduce armor which is not exactly the same thing. Unless you are fully stripping armor it is more effective to bypass with slash than apply heat/corrosive procs.

4 hours ago, Dunkelheit said:

I am really interested which Aura is supposed to be better than Corrosive Projection, since it is mathematically proven that it holds the biggest DPS buff.

I did not say other auras would result in higher DPS, specifically, I said there are better options. For Volt, specifically, Brief Respite can be useful, Power Donation can be useful if you're looking to focus primarily on non-ability damage (as you're suggesting above). Growing power can be used to up power strength... It really doesn't matter tbh.

But to humor you with the relationship Corrosive Projection has with regard to other damage/DPS boosting auras.

First we need to break down Corrosive Projection and what exactly its benefit is with regard to Steel Path armor values.
To understand just how much extra damage you can expect to do to a level 100 steel path lancer..

A level 100 steel path lancer appears to have around 2004 armor. This is an 86.98% damage reduction.
If you use Corrosive Projection this value drops to 1643 armor. 1643 armor is 84.56% damage reduction. You're gaining 2.42% damage against the lancer with Corrosive Projection equipped. This is a miniscule amount of extra damage. Now, if you're in a group with 4 Corrosive Projection their armor value drops to 561 which is 65.16% damage reduction, netting an overall increase of 21.82% extra damage... but this requires a full team equipped with the aura. 

A more comprehensive look at Corrosive Projection used against Heavy Gunners at level 100 in Steel Path using a weapon with 100 base damage. In this example I will apply the damage gained from Steel Charge and Rifle Amp after this increase is reduced by the default, un-reduced armor value.

Base armor: 9661 (96.99% Damage Reduction)
With 1 Corrosive Projection: 7922 (96.35% Damage Reduction) You'd deal 3.65 damage
With 4 Corrosive Projection: 2705 (90.02% Damage Reduction) You'd deal 9.98 damage
Damage with 1 Steel Charge: 4.81
Damage with 4 Steel Charge: 10.23
Damage with 1 Rifle Amp: 3.82
Damage with 4 Rifle Amp: 6.26 damage <- In this scenario 4x Corrosive Projection is better

Now... these calculations are using base damage not modified damage. Mostly because I'm not smart enough to go through all the specifics of calculating modded damage for Steel Charge and Rifle Amp. Corrosive projection most likely comes out on top when looking at modded values but it isn't by much. Especially when you consider faction mods, correct damage typing, elemental mods, multishot etc. Also, the overall benefit from Corrosive Projection is absolutely tiny. With only 1 corrosive projection you're doing a whopping 0.64% extra damage against heavy gunners. With 4 Corrosive Projection you're doing a hefty 6.97% more damage...

6 hours ago, Guybrush88 said:

Fireblast Volt is good against armored SP enemies. Casting Fireblast x2 does a 75% x 75% x 50% for total 97% armor strip while heat proc still active

Watched that video and I absolutely do not agree with that person's loadout. Two major criticisms:

1: The energy economy for this is absolutely horrible. For 100% armor strip you're looking at 7 casts of fire blast. If you aren't fully stripping armor you are not going to be killing enemies with one cast of Discharge. This means you're going to be spending hundreds of energy to kill enemies way slower than simply killing with your weapons...

2: The guy doesn't even start using the build until 5 minutes in, and the enemies are not dying efficiently at all. You would be much better off just using Discharge and killing the enemies with melee at that point.

Not a major criticism but certainly something I find funny. The guy is going in with Corrosive Projection while using Fire Blast to strip armor. These two things do not work well together and as I noted in my above response Corrosive Projection is a pointless aura to use on Volt if you're using his abilities. The amount of increased damage is tiny...

Also... another criticism... The guy is going Capacitance with Vitality... What the heck... You do not need vitality if you are running a capacitance loadout... Use Adaptation... Adaptation gives damage reduction on the shields that you're able to perpetually shield-gate.

And the Arcane strike on this is also hilarious... this is a spam-cast constantly setup. Arcane Strike is not necessary (especially since we are talking about speedy-boi who can already buff his attack speed...)

Grind Hard Squad, like most other warframe youtubers, make videos on builds that aren't actually that good. It would be a lot more obvious just how bad fire blast + discharge is if the guy was using any enemy sense mods while showcasing the actual build in use. The enemies are dying, for sure, but really only after he casts fireblast a ton of times. It is a really bad setup and I would never suggest someone seriously use a build that requires so much work for such a small amount of return. 

I tested this build ingame and it is dog crap. It does kill (albeit way too slow) but like I said, the energy economy is absolute terrible. Not to mention the fact that Fireblast is restricted by Line of Sight.... Enemy behind a pillar? No reduced armor. So you just wasted 50 energy when it already takes a minimum of 3 Fireblasts to reduce armor enough for Discharge to do any reasonable amount of damage. This is 100% not a build I would suggest anyone seriously consider using. It has bad energy economy, wasted mod space (corrosive projection and vitality I'm looking at you) and a pretty asinine choice of arcane. 

If you are going to do this fire blast setup (which is just not very useful...) replace CP with Brief Respite, dump vitality in favor of Adaptation and get rid of Arcane Strike in favor of Arcane Nullifier or Arcane Eruption. Against the Grineer I'd go Arcane Eruption for that extra layer of CC. Oh... and mandatory would be to have Deth Cube or any other source of increased energy orbs, as well as a zaw with the Exodia Brave (though to be quite honest a zaw with exodia brave and REGULAR discharge is about as useful as this crappy fireblast setup). 

2 hours ago, Leqesai said:

Watched that video and I absolutely do not agree with that person's loadout. Two major criticisms:

1: The energy economy for this is absolutely horrible. For 100% armor strip you're looking at 7 casts of fire blast. If you aren't fully stripping armor you are not going to be killing enemies with one cast of Discharge. This means you're going to be spending hundreds of energy to kill enemies way slower than simply killing with your weapons...

2: The guy doesn't even start using the build until 5 minutes in, and the enemies are not dying efficiently at all. You would be much better off just using Discharge and killing the enemies with melee at that point.

Not a major criticism but certainly something I find funny. The guy is going in with Corrosive Projection while using Fire Blast to strip armor. These two things do not work well together and as I noted in my above response Corrosive Projection is a pointless aura to use on Volt if you're using his abilities. The amount of increased damage is tiny...

Also... another criticism... The guy is going Capacitance with Vitality... What the heck... You do not need vitality if you are running a capacitance loadout... Use Adaptation... Adaptation gives damage reduction on the shields that you're able to perpetually shield-gate.

And the Arcane strike on this is also hilarious... this is a spam-cast constantly setup. Arcane Strike is not necessary (especially since we are talking about speedy-boi who can already buff his attack speed...)

Grind Hard Squad, like most other warframe youtubers, make videos on builds that aren't actually that good. It would be a lot more obvious just how bad fire blast + discharge is if the guy was using any enemy sense mods while showcasing the actual build in use. The enemies are dying, for sure, but really only after he casts fireblast a ton of times. It is a really bad setup and I would never suggest someone seriously use a build that requires so much work for such a small amount of return. 

I tested this build ingame and it is dog crap. It does kill (albeit way too slow) but like I said, the energy economy is absolute terrible. Not to mention the fact that Fireblast is restricted by Line of Sight.... Enemy behind a pillar? No reduced armor. So you just wasted 50 energy when it already takes a minimum of 3 Fireblasts to reduce armor enough for Discharge to do any reasonable amount of damage. This is 100% not a build I would suggest anyone seriously consider using. It has bad energy economy, wasted mod space (corrosive projection and vitality I'm looking at you) and a pretty asinine choice of arcane. 

If you are going to do this fire blast setup (which is just not very useful...) replace CP with Brief Respite, dump vitality in favor of Adaptation and get rid of Arcane Strike in favor of Arcane Nullifier or Arcane Eruption. Against the Grineer I'd go Arcane Eruption for that extra layer of CC. Oh... and mandatory would be to have Deth Cube or any other source of increased energy orbs, as well as a zaw with the Exodia Brave (though to be quite honest a zaw with exodia brave and REGULAR discharge is about as useful as this crappy fireblast setup). 

I think you might me mission the point. Fireblast is good in the sense that it can make Discharge's damage viable and useful beyond CC against SP armored enemies. Yes, it doesn't magically turn Volt into Saryn. But if someone likes using Volt, and would like to use Volt in SP, then Fireblast compliments the kit.

You don't need to do 100% armor strip, 2 cast of Fireblast does 93% strip. Which lets Discharge do some damage vs almost no damage.

Anyway I decided to try out my own Volt Fireblast built in Steel Path Kuva Survival to see how it would fare if I didn't use any weapons and could only kill enemies with abilities. It was not exactly a walk in the park, but it did manage to kill enough enemies to sustain continuous castings of Fireblast and Discharge from energy orb drops and energizing dash. Yes, its not the most efficient way to kill enemies in steel path, but it can get the job done.

Untitled.jpg

23 minutes ago, Guybrush88 said:

You don't need to do 100% armor strip, 2 cast of Fireblast does 93% strip. Which lets Discharge do some damage vs almost no damage.

I addressed this in my response.

2-casts of fireblast is absolutely not enough to make it viable. The build is dog crap and your own experience "it wasn't a walk in the park" validates that. Don't feed into youtube plebby builds, dude. Fireblast is absolutely not the way to go.

2 fireblasts + Discharge is what... 250 base energy? For something that doesn't become markedly more useful? This is incredibly foolish. Dump the Fire Blast altogether, double down on CC from the shock procs and/or another subsume ability and kill with melee. This is MUCH more viable than the stupid GHS build. 209 Kills in what I assume is 5 minutes isn't even half of what you can pull using melee only... Given the enemy density this is a really, really low amount of kills. It isn't even 50 kills per minute...

And for what its worth, to understand what 2 Fire Blasts means for actual damage resistance changes.

2 Fireblasts still means 29% damage reduction against level 100 SP lancers.

Against tougher units like heavy gunners they'd still have 66% damage reduction at the same enemy level.

The thing is... Lancers are never difficult to kill. Steel Path or otherwise. Fire Blast being restricted by line of sight (and to a degree it also has vertical limitations) means most of the damage your Discharge is outputing doesn't actually hit enemies within range of Fire Blast. So even if you are using Fire Blast to knock the damage reduction down to reasonable levels you're only doing it to small, isolated groups. For 75 base energy... with a minimum requirement of 2 casts to get to the point you're talking about; not forgetting the fact that one Discharge is likely not enough to kill even lancers we're talking maybe an average of like 300 base energy to take down groups of lancers. Cut that with Streamline and you're looking at 200 Energy. This is horribly inefficient...

Grind Hard Squad, like Brozime and the other big youtube plebs feed you half-cocked build ideas because they can technically be usable. But they are by no means ideal, well thought out, or original. This setup is just terrible. You're better off, like I said above, doubling down on the CC component from Discharge and going full melee. I bet you'd pull similar if not higher kill numbers with much easier-to-manage energy.

Edit: I should apologize if I am coming across like a jerk here. Started reading your response at work just as some major company BS came up and I was more than a little frustrated when I finished this post.

1 minute ago, Guybrush88 said:

I think you're not getting the point. Fireblast is good in the sense that it can make Discharge's damage viable and useful beyond CC against SP armored enemies. Yes, it doesn't magically turn Volt into Saryn. But if someone likes using Volt, and would like to use Volt in SP, then Fireblast compliments the kit.

Anyway I decided to try out my own Volt Fireblast built in Steel Path Kuva Survival to see how it would fare if I didn't use any weapons and could only kill enemies with abilities. It was not exactly a walk in the park, but it did manage to kill enough enemies to sustain continuous castings of Fireblast and Discharge from energy orb drops and energizing dash. Yes, its not the most efficient way to kill enemies in steel path, but it can get the job done.

Untitled.jpg

You need about 2 kills per second to maintain life support without activating towers in a SP survival and you're at 1/3 that. You also died once. 

I assume it was just a 5 minute mission so I guess it's viable to clear the node but it seems pretty far from an efficient build. You were just using abilities for kills and not weapons so kills are going to be lower but, if you were using your weapons you wouldn't have the time to spam abilities and ability kills would be even lower. 

I'm not saying that fire blast isn't a good ability but using it to remove armor so your discharge can kill enemies is a huge waste of energy and highly inefficient for SP IMO.

If it works for you that's fine, we can all play how we like but I'll stick to my breach surge Volt for SP

qcnxiM0.jpg

3 hours ago, Leqesai said:

But to humor you with the relationship Corrosive Projection has with regard to other damage/DPS boosting auras.

First we need to break down Corrosive Projection and what exactly its benefit is with regard to Steel Path armor values.
To understand just how much extra damage you can expect to do to a level 100 steel path lancer..

A level 100 steel path lancer appears to have around 2004 armor. This is an 86.98% damage reduction.
If you use Corrosive Projection this value drops to 1643 armor. 1643 armor is 84.56% damage reduction. You're gaining 2.42% damage against the lancer with Corrosive Projection equipped. This is a miniscule amount of extra damage. Now, if you're in a group with 4 Corrosive Projection their armor value drops to 561 which is 65.16% damage reduction, netting an overall increase of 21.82% extra damage... but this requires a full team equipped with the aura. 

A more comprehensive look at Corrosive Projection used against Heavy Gunners at level 100 in Steel Path using a weapon with 100 base damage. In this example I will apply the damage gained from Steel Charge and Rifle Amp after this increase is reduced by the default, un-reduced armor value.

With 1 Corrosive Projection: 7922 (96.35% Damage Reduction) You'd deal 3.65 damage
With 4 Corrosive Projection: 2705 (90.02% Damage Reduction) You'd deal 9.98 damage
Damage with 1 Steel Charge: 4.81
Damage with 4 Steel Charge: 10.23
Damage with 1 Rifle Amp: 3.82
Damage with 4 Rifle Amp: 6.26 damage <- In this scenario 4x Corrosive Projection is better

Now... these calculations are using base damage not modified damage. Mostly because I'm not smart enough to go through all the specifics of calculating modded damage for Steel Charge and Rifle Amp. Corrosive projection most likely comes out on top when looking at modded values but it isn't by much. Especially when you consider faction mods, correct damage typing, elemental mods, multishot etc. Also, the overall benefit from Corrosive Projection is absolutely tiny. With only 1 corrosive projection you're doing a whopping 0.64% extra damage against heavy gunners. With 4 Corrosive Projection you're doing a hefty 6.97% more damage...

Here's the calculation with modded damage based on an enemy with 9661 armor, 100 base melee damage, Prime Pressure Point:

With 1 Corrosive Projection: 7922 (96.35% Damage Reduction) -> 9.67 damage

With 2 Corrosive Projection: 7922 (96.35% Damage Reduction) -> 12.26 damage

With 3 Corrosive Projection: 7922 (96.35% Damage Reduction) -> 16.76 damage

With 4 Corrosive Projection: 2705 (90.02% Damage Reduction) -> 26.46 damage

With 1 Steel Charge: -> 9.79 damage

With 1 Steel Charge: -> 11.60 damage

With 1 Steel Charge: -> 13.40 damage

With 4 Steel Charge: -> 15.21 damage

So Corrosive Projection is still the best against heavily armored enemies

By the way, for enemy with 2004 armor, Steel Charge gives higher damage overall

Here's the calculation with modded damage based on an enemy with 9661 armor, 100 base melee damage, Prime Pressure Point:

With 1 Corrosive Projection: 7922 (96.35% Damage Reduction) -> 9.67 damage

With 2 Corrosive Projection: 7922 (96.35% Damage Reduction) -> 12.26 damage

With 3 Corrosive Projection: 7922 (96.35% Damage Reduction) -> 16.76 damage

With 4 Corrosive Projection: 2705 (90.02% Damage Reduction) -> 26.46 damage

With 1 Steel Charge: -> 9.79 damage

With 1 Steel Charge: -> 11.60 damage

With 1 Steel Charge: -> 13.40 damage

With 4 Steel Charge: -> 15.21 damage

So Corrosive Projection is still the best against heavily armored enemies

By the way, for enemy with 2004 armor, Steel Charge gives higher damage overall

Thank you for the clarifying numbers. For groups running corrosive projection it is much more useful than running it solo. Also, I think you forgot to adjust the multiple CP armor values but the damage numbers look about right.

16 minutes ago, Berzerkules said:

You need about 2 kills per second to maintain life support without activating towers in a SP survival and you're at 1/3 that. You also died once. 

I assume it was just a 5 minute mission so I guess it's viable to clear the node but it seems pretty far from an efficient build. You were just using abilities for kills and not weapons so kills are going to be lower but, if you were using your weapons you wouldn't have the time to spam abilities and ability kills would be even lower. 

I'm not saying that fire blast isn't a good ability but using it to remove armor so your discharge can kill enemies is a huge waste of energy and highly inefficient for SP IMO.

If it works for you that's fine, we can all play how we like but I'll stick to my breach surge Volt for SP

qcnxiM0.jpg

It was not meant to be a practical usage of the build. Just to illustrate that it is able to contribute some damage, along with the CC from knockdown and CC from electric stun.

So a combination of Fireblast + Discharge + Melee will give you more kills/damage than just Discharge + Melee alone

If there are 2 volts in the squad, 1 with fireblast and 1 with breach surge, that might be interesting

11 minutes ago, Guybrush88 said:

It was not meant to be a practical usage of the build. Just to illustrate that it is able to contribute some damage, along with the CC from knockdown and CC from electric stun.

So a combination of Fireblast + Discharge + Melee will give you more kills/damage than just Discharge + Melee alone

If there are 2 volts in the squad, 1 with fireblast and 1 with breach surge, that might be interesting

I bet it could work well with a pillage Vauban. Pillage and fireblast speeding up the armor strip from Vauban 4. It might be too much cc if the range on volt's discharge was too high and idk if fireblast would knock enemies out of Vauban's 4. 

29 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

I addressed this in my response.

2-casts of fireblast is absolutely not enough to make it viable. The build is dog crap and your own experience "it wasn't a walk in the park" validates that. Don't feed into youtube plebby builds, dude. Fireblast is absolutely not the way to go.

2 fireblasts + Discharge is what... 250 base energy? For something that doesn't become markedly more useful? This is incredibly foolish. Dump the Fire Blast altogether, double down on CC from the shock procs and/or another subsume ability and kill with melee. This is MUCH more viable than the stupid GHS build. 209 Kills in what I assume is 5 minutes isn't even half of what you can pull using melee only... Given the enemy density this is a really, really low amount of kills. It isn't even 50 kills per minute...

And for what its worth, to understand what 2 Fire Blasts means for actual damage resistance changes.

2 Fireblasts still means 29% damage reduction against level 100 SP lancers.

Against tougher units like heavy gunners they'd still have 66% damage reduction at the same enemy level.

The thing is... Lancers are never difficult to kill. Steel Path or otherwise. Fire Blast being restricted by line of sight (and to a degree it also has vertical limitations) means most of the damage your Discharge is outputing doesn't actually hit enemies within range of Fire Blast. So even if you are using Fire Blast to knock the damage reduction down to reasonable levels you're only doing it to small, isolated groups. For 75 base energy... with a minimum requirement of 2 casts to get to the point you're talking about; not forgetting the fact that one Discharge is likely not enough to kill even lancers we're talking maybe an average of like 300 base energy to take down groups of lancers. Cut that with Streamline and you're looking at 200 Energy. This is horribly inefficient...

Grind Hard Squad, like Brozime and the other big youtube plebs feed you half-cocked build ideas because they can technically be usable. But they are by no means ideal, well thought out, or original. This setup is just terrible. You're better off, like I said above, doubling down on the CC component from Discharge and going full melee. I bet you'd pull similar if not higher kill numbers with much easier-to-manage energy.

Edit: I should apologize if I am coming across like a jerk here. Started reading your response at work just as some major company BS came up and I was more than a little frustrated when I finished this post.

My trial run was just a challenge to see if fireblast+discharge it could kill a meaningful number of enemies without using any weapons. In real solo gameplay, I use fireblast+discharge+weapons and have no issues killing enemies or managing energy. In pub squad, its even less of an issue. So I don't know why energy efficiency seems to be such an important issue for you.

End of the day, if it gets the job done, enemies die, you're not constantly getting killed, and its fun, I dont see any problem with it. It doesn't have to be the most energy efficient, most kills per second build to be viable.

Anyway the most efficient and energy saving way to kill as many enemies as possible with volt in SP is to subsume Ivara's Quiver, build volt for duration, then use cloak arrow to stealth kill all enemies with Glaive Prime heavy attack. But if you're gonna do that, what's the point of using Volt in the first place?

But if you're gonna do that, what's the point of using Volt in the first place?

Speedy-cloak :P

Honestly that's a pretty good idea for a build. Make a bubble, zoom to it, lay down a few shields to buff crits and win.

What you've suggested with that Ivara thing is much better, both creatively and with regard to efficiency, over the Fireblast pleb build that GHS showed us.

3 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

Speedy-cloak :P

Honestly that's a pretty good idea for a build. Make a bubble, zoom to it, lay down a few shields to buff crits and win.

What you've suggested with that Ivara thing is much better, both creatively and with regard to efficiency, over the Fireblast pleb build that GHS showed us.

Its basically just another way to room camp. Some might find that enjoyable, but it would seem boring to me.

Might as well use Ivara or Loki instead of Volt then

2 minutes ago, Guybrush88 said:

Might as well use Ivara or Loki instead of Volt then

I certainly won't argue with that. Volt is generally not the ideal frame for steel path grineer. That's the whole point of this topic. Giving him a half-cocked armor reducer doesn't really improve his capabilities as a DPS frame vs armored units.

18 minutes ago, Guybrush88 said:

Honestly I don't think this would affect the kill potential. Fireblast reduces armor but most of the light units (lancers) die from a decent melee incredibly fast regardless of armor value because people run with viral+heat or viral+slash. 

I think you'd pull pretty similar numbers with or without Fireblast. But if you subsume a more useful ability your kill potential could be quite a bit higher (something that directly buffs damage, for example).

50 minutes ago, (XBOX)InductiveBag46 said:

I just slap on duration, range, a lil strength and replace shock with pacemaker. Capacitance is kinda mandatory unless you're some sort of vshield god

Just subsume your Voidrig and then replace Shock with Guard Mode instead =)

Archived