Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A humble request

Shadowbladedeathkiller

hello I would like to ask if there is an option available or that could be made available to only see replies that agree with me. I don't want to post in a thread, get a notification, and come back only to find that someone has disagreed with me and gotten a bunch of upvotes for it. It makes me feel bad and I think is completely unnecessary. My parents always said that if you don't have anything nice to say then you shouldn't say anything at all, and I think that extends to disagreeing with others. It's just a matter of being civil and polite. Please give us an option to only see posts that agree with us, thanks.

1 hour ago, Shadowbladedeathkiller said:

My parents always said that if you don't have anything nice to say then you shouldn't say anything at all, and I think that extends to disagreeing with others. It's just a matter of being civil and polite.

I can assure you, it most certainly does not. People are capable of disagreeing with others in a civil and polite manner, and disagreeing with someone isn't inherently impolite or uncivil in its own right. The only time it becomes impolite and uncivil is if someone decides to start throwing insults and trying to cause an argument in the process.

In short; disagreeing isn't inherently bad, and there's no reason to censor it so that you can't see posts that don't agree with your thoughts and opinions.

3 hours ago, Shadowbladedeathkiller said:

hello I would like to ask if there is an option available or that could be made available to only see replies that agree with me. I don't want to post in a thread, get a notification, and come back only to find that someone has disagreed with me and gotten a bunch of upvotes for it. It makes me feel bad and I think is completely unnecessary. My parents always said that if you don't have anything nice to say then you shouldn't say anything at all, and I think that extends to disagreeing with others. It's just a matter of being civil and polite. Please give us an option to only see posts that agree with us, thanks.

Hello it seems that what you're asking is impossible.

Not only you want to get your ass kissed around this forum, but you also expect DE to create an a.i that's capable to understand and categorizes human responses -in short, an a.i smarter than all of google.

Also, this is a discussion forum. Everyone's opinions will be discussed with no exceptions, not just yours. You're not a special snowflake, everyone are.

Your parents taught a good lesson. What you missed from that lesson is: people will only be civil and polite of you're being civil and polite as well. This S#&$ shows us otherwise:

2 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

Also Mr. Pot, you seem to have disagreed with someone else in their thread.

Man would the world be an even worst place than it already is if everyone acted like this.

When two people disagree, assuming it is not solely revolving around a matter of taste, it means that one of the two person (if not both) has something to learn from the exchange.

I've read about some boudist monks that would constantly debate one another on various subjects. The point being that whoever winning the argument would be considered the loser, for he did not learn anything from the exchange.

If we were to all ignore any type of disagreement and all live in echo chambers, then every one loses and no one ever learns anything.

1 hour ago, Fallen77 said:

I've read about some boudist monks that would constantly debate one another on various subjects. The point being that whoever winning the argument would be considered the loser, for he did not learn anything from the exchange.

Just based on principle? Or after taking into account whether or not one side or another had a more solid argument?

if it’s the former than applied to every day life seems like it would come across as the kind of posturing that also happens when people go out of their way to be nice when others are watching. 

Another case could be if someone is perceived to be uninformed on something and another keeps trying to pressure them to admit ignorance even though that ignorance doesn’t exist. It’s placing appearances above substance.

I think if you find someone who you see is being uncivil in stating their own opinion (or in short a troll / rep. farmer / etc.) , You can click on their profile and click the ignore user.

I have NOT tested this method though, If this method would also let the one you ignore NOT to be able to post in your future other post would be NICE.

To others who have tested the ignore function can you please confirm?

edit: Hover over profile then you can see the ignore button.

24 minutes ago, UdsUds said:

I think if you find someone who you see is being uncivil in stating their own opinion (or in short a troll / rep. farmer / etc.) , You can click on their profile and click the ignore user.

I have NOT tested this method though, If this method would also let the one you ignore NOT to be able to post in your future other post would be NICE.

To others who have tested the ignore function can you please confirm?

edit: Hover over profile then you can see the ignore button.

That won’t stop them from reporting me because they decided to be aggressive. Also I notice that if I don’t report them back they don’t get any punishment at all for being a massive jerk. 

3 hours ago, Shadowbladedeathkiller said:

That won’t stop them from reporting me because they decided to be aggressive. Also I notice that if I don’t report them back they don’t get any punishment at all for being a massive jerk. 

I'm pretty sure that as long as you follow the rules (NOT Posting anything that is offensive, illegal, hateful, etc.) no one should really report you.

If someone is reporting and its a false report, IIRC there is counter measure for that? 

This is a gray area for me as this clearly is for the moderators.

I respectfully disagree. A lack of dissenting opinions, especially on social media, quite literally presents an existential threat in the modern day.

You'd think I'd be joking, but the absence of having ones opinions challenged leads to radicalisation, which is remarkably common on the internet these days. I don't think I'm immune to it myself.

42 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

I respectfully disagree. A lack of dissenting opinions, especially on social media, quite literally presents an existential threat in the modern day.

You'd think I'd be joking, but the absence of having ones opinions challenged leads to radicalisation, which is remarkably common on the internet these days. I don't think I'm immune to it myself.

Fair enough

What you want is called a private Blog I think.

I get the desire to express a thought and not have it torn down 'just because' by others, which is one of teh reasons why I don't actually post my ideas in public forums and choose to simply provide commentary on the thoughts of others.

IMO, the thing people forget is that posting on a forum is like walking into Times Square and standing on a bucket to tell everyone how you feel, there is no 'protection'.

Even the very powerful that give speeches get heckled and trolled.

Forum Web Code cannot change the human condition, even if it it can make humans angry when they don't like the words.

There are certainly posters here that seem to think they own the place, that's for sure.

On 2021-05-12 at 6:22 AM, Shadowbladedeathkiller said:

Looks like your parents haven't done a good job to prepare you for the real world. Expect to be be disappointed a lot.

18 hours ago, Shadowbladedeathkiller said:

People can't report others unless they're being aggressive. If you got reported it means you're being aggressive as well. When one person hit another person, that's an assault, the hitter can be detained. When two people hit each other -doesn't matter who started it, it's a fight, both can be detained.

You're not god or police. You're not responsible nor justified to give punishment to other people. Not in this forum, not anywhere else in life. Our society generally have negative feeling towards people who thinks they're better than others, or rightful enough to judge others, we call them social justice warriors and many other names, none are compliments.

And lastly, from the way you justify doing multiple posts, it seems to me that you just aren't familiarized awfully well to how internet forums works. Let this be lesson to make yourself wiser and smarter to handle society in the future. It disappoints everyone, not just you, don't worry.

4 minutes ago, Shadowbladedeathkiller said:

More like half. I’ve interacted with plenty of people who know how to resist behaving like animals.

You misunderstand. I'm saying there's all kinds of people. Some agree with you and some don't. If you've been raised to ignore those that disagree with you well... that's just bad parenting in my opinion. Maybe you enjoy living in a bubble of naievity? People that don't agree with you aren't animals by the way. Maybe think about the fact that you could be wrong? I mean... you've proven to be wrong in your posts already. Now you can ignore me because I disagree. It doesn't make you right tho.

If you want to ignore people here that are mean, you can do so with the ignore button here on the forums.

Archived