Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is negative Impact on a Riven a good thing? Why?

-SilverWolfPrime-

Question

In my quest to find a powerful Kuva Chakkhurr Riven to use, I find myself asking questions about Rivens I've never asked myself before. In particular, I have heard that any sort of reduction to Impact Damage is a very good thing. Why is this the case, or is that the case at all? Does this matter for the Kuva Chakkhurr exclusively?

8 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, McCIoud said:

Impact is the worst of the physical damage types, by reducing it you increase other elements chance to proc.

21 minutes ago, -SilverWolfPrime- said:

In my quest to find a powerful Kuva Chakkhurr Riven to use, I find myself asking questions about Rivens I've never asked myself before. In particular, I have heard that any sort of reduction to Impact Damage is a very good thing. Why is this the case, or is that the case at all? Does this matter for the Kuva Chakkhurr exclusively?

Generally the popular view is that Impact is a harmless negative on most weapons, ideal on some weapons and not ideal on others.

If you are using a weapon that generally has low impact damage compared to other damage types then -Impact is a pretty harmless negative
If you are using a weapon that is high status chance, reasonably high impact and you want to sway the status procs away from impact then it is a good choice
If you are using a weapon that is mostly impact damage and has relatively low status chance it is not an ideal modifier

3 minutes ago, Shatterling said:

Negative damage to (faction) is a fair trade for excellent damage/crit chance/crit damage or your favored attributes as long as you’re building the weapon for the other faction.

I'd actually argue against faction damage being acceptable. Due to the way the game calculates faction damage this can severely reduce a weapon's damage potential against the specific faction. While you are right insofar as it can make the weapon really good against other factions a negative faction damage modifier is pretty bad.

Though negative to Corpus and Infested are generally easier to deal with. Negative Grineer is pretty bad.

6 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

If you are using a weapon that generally has low impact damage compared to other damage types then -Impact is a pretty harmless negative
If you are using a weapon that is high status chance, reasonably high impact and you want to sway the status procs away from impact then it is a good choice
If you are using a weapon that is mostly impact damage and has relatively low status chance it is not an ideal modifier

So in terms of the Kuva Chakkhurr, -Impact probably isn't the greatest negative since the main shot deals ONLY that damage type barring elementals and the radial shot doesn't deal any Impact damage so it isn't gonna affect it there?

1 minute ago, Leqesai said:

Negative Grineer is pretty bad.

There goes my assumption that my Boar Prime Riven was a god roll -_-

8 minutes ago, Shatterling said:

Negative damage to (faction) is a fair trade for excellent damage/crit chance/crit damage or your favored attributes as long as you’re building the weapon for the other faction.

So let's say I was building Corrosive on my Kuva Chakkhurr. -Damage vs. Infested would probably be a better negative?

28 minutes ago, -SilverWolfPrime- said:

So in terms of the Kuva Chakkhurr, -Impact probably isn't the greatest negative since the main shot deals ONLY that damage type barring elementals and the radial shot doesn't deal any Impact damage so it isn't gonna affect it there?

There are a few factors at play here.
1: Kuva Chakkhurr is slow fire rate weapon with moderate damage. Status builds, in general, are not ideal, so I'd say the issue of avoiding impact procs is irrelevant
2: Any negative damage modifier (faction, element, base etc.) or any negative that effectively lowers DPS potential is an issue. Ideally you'd want something like +Recoil, -Ammo Capacity, -Magazine Capacity, -Zoom

EDIT: It should be noted that the Kuva Chakkhur does forced impact procs fro mthe explosion which makes it a very good choice for the new Impact=Slash mod https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Internal_Bleeding

There goes my assumption that my Boar Prime Riven was a god roll -_-

Boar Prime is a status-application monster. Negative faction damage on something like this is less of an issue because you are able to mitigate some of this through lots of status effects. Though I would consider it a harmful negative still.

So let's say I was building Corrosive on my Kuva Chakkhurr. -Damage vs. Infested would probably be a better negative?

Regardless of what damage type you're building onto your Kuva Chakkhurr, negative damage vs Infested isn't a huge detriment. Slow fire rate weapons like this are not ideal for taking out infested enemies due to the speed they move and general squishiness that leads to increased enemy spawns compared to other factions. 

11 hours ago, Leqesai said:

I'd actually argue against faction damage being acceptable. Due to the way the game calculates faction damage this can severely....

If you’re building an all around weapon for your A slot, one you can grab and go into any missions, I’d agree.

But, losing 43% against Corpus to gain 63% magazine cap, 119% multishot and 145% critical damage on my Eidolon killing Snipetron build is a good trade off.

So, it depends if the build is for a specific purpose or general use.

12 hours ago, -SilverWolfPrime- said:

It depends if you’re build is intended to target specific enemies. If you have specific targets in mind, losing damage against other factions isn’t a benefit, per se, but, it’s an acceptable trade off of it advances your goal against specific targets.

Archived