Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mod Cards For Powers? No, Power Augments!

J-Pax

Up-vote if you like this idea. It helps.

So we currently have a system where we have our warframe specific powers as mod cards, they take up space in our inventory, use up mod power and ultimately take the place of other, sometimes more important, cards - in which case they don't get slotted.

Rather than this system I propose the alternative:

Warframes get their powers unlocked as they progress in rank and gain upgraded versions of their powers as they go. This saves on mod card slotting space (this has likely been suggested before).

INSTEAD of power mods, we instead get power augment mods. Examples:

Volt's Shock:

Rank 1 (Level 1): Single Target damage.

Rank 2 (Level 7): Single target damage, chains once.

Rank 3 (Level 14): Single target damage, chains three times.

THE KEY PART:

Supplementary cards:

Double Strike

Single target abilities now fire an additional projectile after a short delay for 75% of the original damage.

Whirlwind

Targets hit by this ability now draw enemies in the local area towards them, knocking them down for a brief time.

Cataclysm

Warframe abilities now have a chance to critically strike for 50% extra effect (including buffs, debuffs and heals).

Vampire

Warframe abilities now return 5% of their damage done as health.

And so on and so forth, the idea is that powers are ingrained to the warframe but are now augmented and tailored to the players taste and playstyle. The powers fundamentally are strong and grow in power as the frame advances, and furthermore so as different power augments are slotted in. You want to be a caster? Mod it up. You want to rely more on your gun skills? Do that thing with the stuff! Etc, so on and so forth, blah.

Edited by J-Pax

Pretty sure that's how it worked before mods were cards. 

The only thing that's changed since they turned powers into cards is just that. They're cards now. They used to have ranks that you had to reach in a "skill" tree to get the next rank, but that's changed to ranks on the cards themselves.

I thought the reason the devs switched over to a more user-controlled skill system is because they wanted the players to have more agency to what skills were gained as they increased in rank. You can say it's a "Create-Your-Own-Skill-Tree" sort of thing. Wouldn't having skills grow at a set pace sort of defeat the purpose?

About your other idea, mods that alter your skills sound great. You could think of thousands of ways a skill can morph to fit a playstyle.

I thought the reason the devs switched over to a more user-controlled skill system is because they wanted the players to have more agency to what skills were gained as they increased in rank. You can say it's a "Create-Your-Own-Skill-Tree" sort of thing. Wouldn't having skills grow at a set pace sort of defeat the purpose?

About your other idea, mods that alter your skills sound great. You could think of thousands of ways a skill can morph to fit a playstyle.

They changed the system because they thought about including more cards that you could use as powers, like a common pool of powers that you could use instead of, or in addition to, your current selections. However, problems arise in that they only really accommodated for 4 powers both in the UI and the number of "important" mod cards already in play currently. This system allows for your current powers to become different powers through mod selection, or you could just leave them as is.

They did implement the power system as it is now in order to give us more agency, but that agency fails to deliver when players choose to actively not include those cards in their load-outs. It's better in my own opinion to give us those powers as part of the warframe itself but give us more customisation as to their function.

Edited by J-Pax

Thought about this for a long time, and even suggested it in a thread ages ago. All for it. Replacing skills is such a *insert a word that makes high-brow, pinky finger sticks out when drinking tea-type people wet themselves* bad idea that I can't fathom why it's even possible.

I love the "diablo 3 glyphs" deal (which I like to call it) to futher personalize, customize and funilize (that's a word now) Warframe. I fear, though, that this is something that they greatly underestimate the value of or are simply not interested in/or doesn't fit with their design or whatever. I pray I'm wrong.

Thought about this for a long time, and even suggested it in a thread ages ago. All for it. Replacing skills is such a *insert a word that makes high-brow, pinky finger sticks out when drinking tea-type people wet themselves* bad idea that I can't fathom why it's even possible.

I love the "diablo 3 glyphs" deal (which I like to call it) to futher personalize, customize and funilize (that's a word now) Warframe. I fear, though, that this is something that they greatly underestimate the value of or are simply not interested in/or doesn't fit with their design or whatever. I pray I'm wrong.

It just occurred to me that this is pretty much just like D3's spell system. I'd rather it was likened to PoE's though :P