Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Interesting interaction between Epitaph and Thermal Sunder

Berzerkules

So, I've been enjoying using Epitaph as a utility primer recently. It's pretty much replaced nukor as my utility secondary at this point. Since Epitaph has a guaranteed cold proc on the quick shot radial attack it is the only weapon that can proc both heat and cold in a single shot while also being modded for viral (If I'm wrong lmk, I want more fun toys to play with). 

It wasn't long before I got the bright idea to test it with Thermal Sunder. If you prime enemies with your Epitaph and then cast cold Thermal Sunder you can freeze enemies solid for the duration of the ability but, you also get the effect of casting cold Thermal Sunder on an enemy with a heat proc so you pull enemies towards you. The end result is you get a pile of enemies frozen to the ground at your feet. 

I probably got a little more excited than I should have but I'm a huge fan crowd control and finding unique interactions between items in games. I just want to break games in as many ways as I possibly can. Figured this interaction was too cool to not share. 

Spoiler

That's part of Thermal Sunder's mechanic.

It procs Blast on enemies already afflicted with the opposite status (Casting Cold Thermal Sunder on enemies afflicted by heat and vice versa):

Casting Thermal Sunder of the opposite damage type on enemies already afflicted with  Cold or  Heat procs, combines the damage type into  Blast. Affected enemies first have the initial status effect removed, receive the new status effect, they also receive a  Blast proc and deals damage based on the mode being used plus the damage of the canceled status.

It freezes enemies already afflicted with cold when using Cold Thermal Sunder:

When cast on enemies already affected by  Cold proc, they are instantly frozen solid for the full status duration.

So anything that can proc Heat or Cold works with Thermal Sunder. I remember playing around with an Ember trying to test if the combo works for stripping enemies armor off with Thermal Sunder Redline.

27 minutes ago, acevezwing said:

That's part of Thermal Sunder's mechanic.

It procs Blast on enemies already afflicted with the opposite status (Casting Cold Thermal Sunder on enemies afflicted by heat and vice versa):

It freezes enemies already afflicted with cold when using Cold Thermal Sunder:

Yes, it's how thermal sunder works but afaik, no other weapon can mass proc cold and heat in one shot, so it freezes enemies and pulls them in with one cast.

You would have to swap weapons to apply both heat and cold procs or cast multiple times to get the same effect as a single shot and single cast. 

One cast will pull enemies in because there is heat proc when you cast cold and they will be frozen because there is also a cold proc active.

Edit:

To do the same thing with just Thermal sunder you would have to hold cast heat and double cast cold and enemies would still not be primed with 10 stacks of viral.

To do the same with say a kuva nukor modded for viral/heat you would have to prime with nukor and double cast cold.

Or you could apply heat with one weapon swap to apply cold with another weapon then single cast cold.

Using the epitaph just does it slightly faster with a single shot and a single cast. 

2 minutes ago, ReddyDisco said:

time to whip out my thermal sunder limbo

tenor.gif?itemid=9962946

Epitaph has definitely gotten me to go back to some of my thermal sunder builds.

One of my favorites right now is Thermal Sunder Ember. She already sets everything on fire so I can mod Epitaph for viral/rad instead of viral/heat. I strip armor and knock every one back with Fireblast then pull them back in and freeze them with cold Thermal Sunder. Perfect fire and ice mage. 

2 minutes ago, Berzerkules said:

No fun over here Space Mom. Just endlessly grinding away for those .02% drop rates. We ain't doin nothin fun I promise.

"better not be!, I catch you enjoying any synergy between weapons and powers and I'm Nerfing the sh1t outta the Epitaph!"

I knew that it's fun with thermal sunder, it is fun when a large group of enemies come hurtling at you to die at your feet, I love the epitaph for it's all round diversity, it can kill SP high level enemies in one shot, it can CC enemies, it can destroy rooms with ease. It's my go too fun gun of the moment. until DE nerf it :(

Archived