Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Speed Nova better than Slow in every scenario?

I made a Nova build called "Made in heaven" (yes i'm all about that Jojo life)...it's a 240% duration 10% strength, 130% efficiency and 175% range. (I love my numbers to have 0's and 5's in the end, it's like my lucky charm.)

The range and efficiency so i can speed run most missions with Wormhole.

i've been trying to run missions where a speed nova wouldn't work on paper like Disruption or tyl regor boss...and it turned out to be a LOT faster with a speed build.

On disruption it sped up the Conduit which made me track it and hear it's beeping much easier.

Tyl tegor accelerated stage transitions.

Exaclty when and where is bringing a speed nova a really bad idea?

maybe during certain defenses? aster moving enmeis means on one hand, you can technically kill them faster, but they can also be harder to pin down, and if a fast moving enemy gets a bunch of successful hits on the cryopod - somethign which can happen several times over - it can increase risk of failure.

I've seen and heard of people encountering toxicity from other players because of their Speed Nova, so my best advice is ask if it's OK first. 

When the speed at which you kill enemies doesn't matter, slow Nova is better. Situations like these are excavation missions, high level mobile defense missions, any regular high level mission, most open-world bounty stages and so on. One boss I really like slow Nova on is sortie Lephantis, because you get a lot of extra time to attack his heads during the first phase, which usually guarantees one cycle kills.

4 minutes ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

When the speed at which you kill enemies doesn't matter, slow Nova is better. Situations like these are excavation missions, high level mobile defense missions, any regular high level mission, most open-world bounty stages and so on. One boss I really like slow Nova on is sortie Lephantis, because you get a lot of extra time to attack his heads during the first phase, which usually guarantees one cycle kills.

I'll keep on using this build until i find difficulty.

I hate switching builds.

8 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

maybe during certain defenses? aster moving enmeis means on one hand, you can technically kill them faster, but they can also be harder to pin down, and if a fast moving enemy gets a bunch of successful hits on the cryopod - somethign which can happen several times over - it can increase risk of failure.

I've seen and heard of people encountering toxicity from other players because of their Speed Nova, so my best advice is ask if it's OK first. 

Ah! Excavation and defection, my least played modes

Any mission you would fail with a speed nova you swap to a neutral nova, and any mission you would fail with a neutral nova you swap to a slow nova.

If your team can cope, there's no problem in making the enemy faster :-P.

Of course, some other frame might be better but that's a different discussion. For example, if its Defence then you don't want anything that forces you to chase enemies down across the map, so you would switch to another frame entirely and not a slowva.

2 minutes ago, (XBOX)Regxxh said:

Why use speed or slow when you can use both?

Make a speed build, toss on Empower over that Wormhole (or over Null Star if you're feeling risky), add Energy Conversion, and you got yourself a very versatile build for most content in the game.

Or better yet, just add lull on your nova speed build. 

want speed? cast 4 

want slow? cast lull

1 hour ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

Situations like these are excavation missions,

I have mixed feelings on slow Nova in Excavation. She reduces your encounters with power carriers near an active excavator... but if there's a Nova on your team, you can at least leave an active excavator to go find a slowed power carrier far away.

Sortie Lephantis. Unless you can deal the same damage as if no speed, you’re only extending your time in the mission.

If you don’t want to be a stupid Nova, set your duration at 73-75% and only cast it on top of a head as soon as it starts opening.

5 hours ago, (XBOX)Regxxh said:

I find it to be helpful to have some strength with certain casts (Antimatter Drop and Wormhole's augment)

Those aren't affected by Strength tho.

BTW, on the /note of Helminth options being mentioned, fun fact:
a Molecular Prime'd enemy keeps the slow down / speed up state when under Mind Control.

Thus, a Speedva can produce a speedy speedy boi MC victim, can be pretty entertaining to watch
(also yay high Duration for MC in general, 300% Dur - which is not uncommon on Nova builds - makes for a nice 90 seconds of MC).

4 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

Those aren't affected by Strength tho.

I was wrong about how Antimatter Drop works with strength. Thought it was a base damage multiplied by an amount based on your weapon absorption. It seems the base damage and the damage absorption are separate, so building for strength doesn't really do much. Strange how this ability isn't affected by anything besides efficiency.

As for the Wormhole augment, I swear that it used to, but I can't find anything about that on the wiki, so I guess I'm remembering wrong. I don't play a lot of Nova these days.

6 hours ago, nslay said:

I have mixed feelings on slow Nova in Excavation. She reduces your encounters with power carriers near an active excavator... but if there's a Nova on your team, you can at least leave an active excavator to go find a slowed power carrier far away.

That's an early-mission problem. You don't have to use it for like the first 30 mins, but then go for it after that once you've stacked enough drops. And if you aren't going for long endurance runs in the first place, it literally doesn't matter what warframe or what weapon you're running.

Is Speed Nova better than Slow in every scenario?

To me it's an interesting question, but not because of the answer.  Rather because it might be an indication of where the game is at and  where we are as players.  I mean, it probably wouldn't get asked at all if so many us weren't in easy-cheesy farm mode.

Archived