Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The one update I wanted back in April 2013 that has (almost) never come

auxy

Back when I started in April 2013 I was already really happy with the gameplay in Warframe. I appreciate the changes; I do enjoy the way the game plays now, and I like all the options we have.  I love that I can cut people down with my sword, dual-wield a pistol and a glaive like it's 2008 and I'm playing Dark Sector again, use powers to annihilate a whole room, and summon a heavy machinegun or automatic grenade launcher to mow down groups, Still, there's one thing I expected to see as a big thrust, a big focus of development going forward, and incredibly, it has almost never been addressed at all.

The #1 thing I have always wanted to see in Warframe, even all those years ago, was additional map tiles for the game's core procedurally-generated mission types.

Sure, we've seen a LOT of new tilesets added, and even a few more tiles for older tilesets, while a few other tiles got shuffled across mission types and tilesets.
We've also seen a some map tiles get updated with improved visuals and more detail, and I definitely appreciate all of these things.

Even still, it's a bit jarring that I can open up a mission right now, in May of 2021, and it is entirely possible—perhaps even likely—that I'll see nothing environmentally but the same content from 2013. I understand some of the reasons for this; I can imagine a lot of internal discussion over whether the game should move to fixed maps (after all, surely every Grineer Galleon was built on the same blueprint), or decisions that adding tiles simply wouldn't improve the game as much as adding other types of content.

So the point of this thread, the TL;DR, is simply to say: "I'd really like to see an expansion of map tiles for the procedurally-generated missions, please."

The procedural generation helps keep the gameplay fresher even on older tiles. I'm always open to new tiles especially ones with hidden rooms. Note I mean hidden rooms like the easy access secret rooms on older tiles not stuff like the locked doors on jupiter.

1 hour ago, auxy said:

So the point of this thread, the TL;DR, is simply to say: "I'd really like to see an expansion of map tiles for the procedurally-generated missions, please."

Much agreed, new tiles would be great. Now that we have added parkour, it would also be neat to see the re-addition of some removed tiles like that tall multi-layered room that was once on the grineer asteroid tile. Or perhaps new tiles to see more of the interesting environments already existing(like the entry tile on uranus looks really neat, but is the only one with that cool surface design)
props to a fellow darksector enjoyer as well👀

You know, people tell me I come off as excessively negative when I talk about Warframe, and I really don't feel that way. I STILL LIKE the game in its current state.

• Archwing got better after a few updates and I love the Rush and Pursuit modes.
  • I enjoyed exploring the open-world areas a lot (though I wished for more indoor stuff to explore, like the few facilities you can enter on the Vallis.) 
  • I really like playing as my operator—although I liked her more before she got forcibly aged-up.
  • I don't even completely hate Railjack; I think it's brutally unnecessary and shoehorned-in, but there's a lot of stuff to appreciate there. Playing with other players as crew on a single ship and being able to jump out into Archwing to make assaults on enemy ships and structures is pretty fun.

But all I ever wanted from Warframe was to run around on foot, as a Warframe, engaging small groups of enemies with or without stealth. When I started back in 2013 I let my imagination get the better of me and allowed it to run free, conceptualizing all the ways that DE could expand the game by adding new tiles and new tilesets. We did get new tilesets, and some of them were brilliant even if others weren't as interesting.

We hardly ever got any new tiles for the existing tilesets, though, and that's what I'd like to see addressed.

51 minutes ago, Zeddypanda said:

Now that you bring it up, it's a bit weird that not every planet has a distinct tileset. Europa and Phobos are essentially the same planet, as are Mercury, Ceres, Saturn, and Sedna.

I think are confusing europa and phobos with something else. Europa is corpus crashed ship ice planet. Phobos is all ship or asteroid based tilesets. Europa and Neptune share a couple ice maps.

Planets with Unique tilesets

• Earth - jungle
  • Lua - Orokin moon
  • Mars - Adobe desert
  • Deimos - Derelict
  • Ceres - Grineer Shipyard
  • Jupiter - Gas City
  • Europa - Crashed ship Ice planet
  • Uranus - Grineer ocean labs
  • Eris - corpus infested ship
  • Kuva Fortress - Kuva fortress
  • Void - orokin tower

Shared Tilesets:

• Grineer Galleon
  • Grineer Asteroid
  • Corpus snow world
  • Corpus Ship

Planets without unique tilesets

• Mercury
  • Venus
  • Phobos
  • Sedna
  • Saturn
  • Neptune
  • Pluto

You could probably keep Mercury or Sedna as the asteroid tilesets main location since phobos gives lower level players access to vestian moss.

On 2021-05-21 at 8:51 PM, Zeddypanda said:

Now that you bring it up, it's a bit weird that not every planet has a distinct tileset.

I mean, I'd be fine with even more repeated tilesets. I'm more interested in more tiles, not more tilesets.

Archived