Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Survey] on the 'ClosetFrame' playstyle in Survival Missions

SenorClipClop

I personally dislike any playstyle that encourages AFK gameplay , 

Camping is one of the things that does so.

Staying in one room while one frame keeps spamming an ability and others twiddle their thumbs is not my idea of entertainment or fun.

As said multiple times, if you give players the tools they will optimize the fun out of the game.

Pair that with how stingy DE is with worthwhile reward drops , most players will choose efficiency over fun. So I am not surprised that camping is so prevalent.

I wouldn't be surprised if they introduce a "move on or suffer" mechanic like we saw in the railjack corpus ship hack mission or volatile mission.

Stay in the room too long and you get zapped (poisoned?) by the environment , don't perform an action in time and you fail the mission completely.

Would be nice if in your survey you clarified public or private matches.

What I see /use in private matches with just me and my friend is very different than what I see in Public matches.

It would be nice to allow respondents to differentiate between the two for the purpose of less biased data.

Hunkering down in a corner is the most efficient way to play survival, moving around actually punishes the player since enemies take forever to reach you.

Until they fix enemy spawns to be more like Killing Floor 2 where enemies are repositioned very aggressively to be in your face all the time and/or add some sort of incentive to move around staying in one spot is the "correct" way to play survival.

The 30 MR test included an interesting twist to survival (bosses needed to be killed to unlock the life supports), perhaps something like that would work?

If I'm planning to go over 2 hours and chill most of the time - yes this style is preferable, because you are in controll of everything that's happening(there are no stray shots, no messed up spawn rate etc.)
If I'm just playing to test what a new build can do - no.

On 2021-05-23 at 9:11 PM, IIDMOII said:

The fact that there is a playstyle attempting to manipulate spawning for increased efficiency is a clear sign that spawning and density is broken. 

Yes and no.
Enemy density is fine, life support drop chance isn't tho.
That's why loot frames are a welcomed addition in survival(or a speedva).
They broke something in the drop chances almost a year ago, there were many topics about it and it never got addressed.

I don’t like to stay in spawn, or any small rooms. I prefer the “heart tiles,” the large, open, well connected rooms. You have enough room to move around, the spawns remain localised, and it doesn’t really feel that different.

I dislike when a squad of 4 is all roaming in different directions, because the potential for lost resources, mods and efficiency gets truncated. However, whats significantly worse than getting less loot, or missing out on a few rare drops, is being awful or rude to your fellow human beings. 

If people are camping in a room, I join in and am glad of it. If people aren’t, I make do. Normally just flitting between the other players to get their drops.

I want to reiterate, while I am of the opinion that generally speaking the “most efficient method” can arguably be called “correct,” I don’t hold that conviction above basic human decency, and won’t ever harass anyone who doesn’t wish to comply. 

On 2021-05-24 at 2:11 AM, IIDMOII said:

This is part of the problem. Enemy density has always been too low in every mission. The reason people spread out is because there is never enough enemies to kill. 

I think this play style is only going to work with low level gear or extremely long endurance. Regular players are always going to out-dps the spawn frequency which results in spreading out and playing "where tf are all the enemies?" 

The fact that there is a playstyle attempting to manipulate spawning for increased efficiency is a clear sign that spawning and density is broken. 

Enemy spawns are simply a mechanic of the game mode, more integral in this particular one than most. I don’t agree that being aware of mechanics innate to a game and playing around them is in anyway a sign of a game being broken.

Enemies spawn around you. If you stay in one localised area, it’s easier for more enemies to reach you at once. If you’re continuously moving, the spawns get scattered and enemies have to chase you down, to die before more can be spawned. It’s really not broken by any conceivable metric. It’s actually so what present in quite a lot of games.

Most games have caps on how many units can be spawned at once. Some games address this by killing the units that are far enough away from the players, to spawn more closer. Which honestly, is probably the most elegant solution, if this was to be perceived as a problem.

I however, don’t see it as such. Specially when you consider that life support drops arent actually all that necessary, as the life support towers and loot crates give more than enough life support by themselves. 

imagen if they added a enemy spawn location to be in the players blind spot so game quickly checks each players field of view and spawns an enemy there regardless if there is an explanation of how the enemy got there like surprise theres an enemy in the same room as you but behind you so they could spawn closer then the game could relocate enemy that are too far away to be just off camera

if all 4 player are looking at each other so they can see behind them then the game would spawn the enemy out of room but if your bouncing all over the place having enemys moved where your not looking means that they can keep up with you so there is more enemys closer corprus have been shown to posses teliportation tech so its feesable

36 minutes ago, lowgrav said:

imagen if they added a enemy spawn location to be in the players blind spot so game quickly checks each players field of view and spawns an enemy there regardless if there is an explanation of how the enemy got there like surprise theres an enemy in the same room as you but behind you so they could spawn closer then the game could relocate enemy that are too far away to be just off camera

They did this with the police in Cyberpunk and it killed the whole flow of combat. There's no point in thinking about positioning if enemies can just materialize right next to you.

Archived