Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Colors Are Becoming Redundant, Please Add Chrome Finish

ErudiusNacht

I know it's hard to come up with good colors for frames. On top of that, making skins and colors creates modelling horrors for the design team. I just want to say out there that I think the colors are becoming redundant.

My suggestion, you can play with textures or gradients. I personally would prefer having chrome colors. Much like how Vandal series weapons have that shiny look, that would look great on a frame. IMO, giving this a higher plat cost would be justifiable.

Thanks for the time.

Metallic colour palette has been requested before. Wonder what happened to that thread

and it was never seen again OoOoOoOh.

EDIT: fixing my #*($%%@ up spacing i do that sometimes.

Edited by Mudkiz

If you look at the infested color pallet there is actually a few colors that look like their pearlescent. So I think a metallic color pallet would be just fine.

I actually use a combination of Smoke and Infested. The glowy contrast of Infested against a deep black background looks like neon. Especially in dark areas.

Besides, Iron Skin already uses a metallic color, so we know the texture is already in the system. Also, the Uru Syandana is metallic in texture, right? So, why not sell it in other colors?

Edited by ErudiusNacht

To be technically fair, there's a finite number of colors, everything else is just a shade. You can only get so much mileage out of that fact.(And 720 to pick from is actually quite nice).

I do like the idea of fades, materials, and gradients, but from the way colors apply to things, I'm not sure they'd work without changing the way colors are coded. I highly suspect part of the limitation at the moment has to do with runtime speeds.

However, if it is doable, I'd LOVE to see them. Angry wooden nekros with a pearlescent sword and stone guns.

What you are hinting at here is “Material”* With this type of category it would be nice to have various metals as well as other material such as: wood, cloth various kinds, velvet, silk, glass etc.

This could also be done with other visual effects like pulsating or shifting materials already in the game. They probably don’t include it yet or are still trying to figure out how to effectively include it because it will become very distracting etc.

To be technically fair, there's a finite number of colors, everything else is just a shade. You can only get so much mileage out of that fact.(And 720 to pick from is actually quite nice).

I do like the idea of fades, materials, and gradients, but from the way colors apply to things, I'm not sure they'd work without changing the way colors are coded. I highly suspect part of the limitation at the moment has to do with runtime speeds.

However, if it is doable, I'd LOVE to see them. Angry wooden nekros with a pearlescent sword and stone guns.

What you are hinting at here is “Material”* With this type of category it would be nice to have various metals as well as other material such as: wood, cloth various kinds, velvet, silk, glass etc.

This could also be done with other visual effects like pulsating or shifting materials already in the game. They probably don’t include it yet or are still trying to figure out how to effectively include it because it will become very distracting etc.

I'm more onto the chrome or metallic paint only since I believe it's already implemented in the Vandals and the Uru Syandana. Having  other materials such as wood, stone, glass or some other thing would be IMO too hard to remodel and encode. I',m already ok with just having a shiny finish.

Velvet machete. Oh yeah.

I'm more onto the chrome or metallic paint only since I believe it's already implemented in the Vandals and the Uru Syandana. Having  other materials such as wood, stone, glass or some other thing would be IMO too hard to remodel and encode. I',m already ok with just having a shiny finish.

So far as I can tell, all they have are pre-defined materials, and then the color we pick is overlayed onto it. There's a finite number of colors, so it doesn't boost the load time much, and still looks good. So, the scarf itself is shiny metallic. All we do is toss a shader on it to change the tone.

That's *why* it would probably be very hard to do fades--that actually requires orientations and calculations and gradient placing. The only way to really make that work easily would be to just have a total material conversion. Wood, for example, would just be adding a grain pattern with moderate gloss effect, while stone would be a simple matte finish with a "pitting" style pattern.

Because you're talking about changing the actual material used in the model, from the way 3D rendering engines work, it would be just as painful.

The only exception would really be two tone fade gradients(relatively easy to set up), but making them actually "look good" on every colorable part of every one of the 15 frames and 105 weapons would be a bit daunting.

So far as I can tell, all they have are pre-defined materials, and then the color we pick is overlayed onto it. There's a finite number of colors, so it doesn't boost the load time much, and still looks good. So, the scarf itself is shiny metallic. All we do is toss a shader on it to change the tone.

That's *why* it would probably be very hard to do fades--that actually requires orientations and calculations and gradient placing. The only way to really make that work easily would be to just have a total material conversion. Wood, for example, would just be adding a grain pattern with moderate gloss effect, while stone would be a simple matte finish with a "pitting" style pattern.

Because you're talking about changing the actual material used in the model, from the way 3D rendering engines work, it would be just as painful.

The only exception would really be two tone fade gradients(relatively easy to set up), but making them actually "look good" on every colorable part of every one of the 15 frames and 105 weapons would be a bit daunting.

Uhh, wasn't me who wanted the other materials, all I want is the metallic finish as I said. Just as the Halloween skins just overlay on the existing model, i'm just suggesting they put a chrome finish. There's that other guy who want's wood, not me. lol

Uhh, wasn't me who wanted the other materials, all I want is the metallic finish as I said. Just as the Halloween skins just overlay on the existing model, i'm just suggesting they put a chrome finish. There's that other guy who want's wood, not me. lol

No no, my point is: The way 3D rendering works, metallic finish is actually about as hard as(if not harder) than wood finish to apply.

I actually use a combination of Smoke and Infested. The glowy contrast of Infested against a deep black background looks like neon. Especially in dark areas.

Besides, Iron Skin already uses a metallic color, so we know the texture is already in the system. Also, the Uru Syandana is metallic in texture, right? So, why not sell it in other colors?

Actually Iron Skin just uses a baked reflection of the sampled post processing of the level you're in.

Turn off Color Correction and then use Iron Skin. It still reflects the now non-existant shading with a little specular tonemap trickeration.

Actually Iron Skin just uses a baked reflection of the sampled post processing of the level you're in.

Turn off Color Correction and then use Iron Skin. It still reflects the now non-existant shading with a little specular tonemap trickeration.

Oh ok, I'm fortunately able to withstand playing on middle graphics level, I'll try it out later.

But as for the metallic finish, I mean, really, I know Darvo would love selling it. Darvo, you out there? Customer here! Ding Ding!