Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steel Path SORTIE

ZeroX4

13 hours ago, Xylena_Lazarow said:

The level where normal Sortie is trivial and its rewards are 90% useless, so probably pretty average for someone who's played regularly for a few years? I edited my post to say "late game" so no one else gets offended that people play this game past MR12.

And what is "late game" when we have no clear indicator on the end of our power? You have people doing 6x3 SP tridolon so it that the late game level?

13 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Isn’t this obvious, though? 🤔

I certainly thought it was obvious, but the tone of your other posts made me think that maybe you weren’t considering it. I apologize for assuming,

10 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Just thought of something; In Warframe, there’s all these alternative mods to health and damage that are as much part of the progression, right? You reckon the progression of Warframe is to become more powerful. Could an alternative view of progression be “To have more options”?

Absolutely I think having more options is part of the progression. The game throws a ton of mods at you and there are certainly some interesting build combinations you can use that most people will never try because they forsake damage output. I’d argue “power” comes in many more forms than just damage, though.

If the game becomes too easy with all of the health and damage mods equipped, would it be valid to swap some of them out for not-that? I figure there are mods that don’t contribute directly to killing faster or being tougher that are pretty hard to get a hold of as well (that’s how we’re gauging value for player effort, right? how easy it is to get something? RNG might be worth figuring into the equation).

edit: 🤔 I wonder if the progression in Warframe could be “Become more powerful to a point, which then lets you equip more options”. To tackle something like Sorties in the early part, one would have to limit themselves to their best. Then they get more powerful mods, and now they can start tackling Sorties how they want more and more

Hmm. Stuff like increased status chance seems to be popular in high-level rewards. What makes increased direct damage so much more valuable if it no longer contributes to entertainment value, but the effort to obtain them is about the same? Could someone go complete Status Chance with all the most valuable mods? 🤔 And would that mean that they’re no longer killing as quickly. But a player wants to slap on all of the damage possible? Because the only thing that’s important is damage? Because they want to be powerful and challenged at the same time. But they theoretically worked just as hard for the non-damage stuff? Does that mean they’re choosing to invalidate some of their own effort as they chase a specific idea of power?

What is power, anyways? Is it the bigger numbers? It sounds like some players would want to have enemies stand up to the bigger numbers. So, lower time-to-kill?  Are the bigger numbers the important bit? What would a player be searching for as they get more powerful? I get that there’s a satisfaction in build-crafting, and that there’s maybe some disappointment that some builds are too powerful. Build-crafting may have been one of the reasons for obtaining equipment options (it is for me, at least)

And then there are Rivens. Completely random in their stats (far as I know), I’d expect it would be just as hard to get some specific non-killing non-survival stats.

I’ve seen the argument that at the moment, player effort is invalidated because they can’t equip all the damage and health mods at once and still have fun. While I understand, I approach Warframe from a perspective of “The validation is the increased options”. Why else would we have mods like Motus Signal and the augment mods? Perhaps we’ll never come to agreement, since it’s a personal perspective thing. Options for players wanting to kill things with all the damage? Sure, I can get behind that. Validation, though? Hmm, I’d have to think on that more.

Wouldn’t mind some help 👍. If I can see it from all sides, that’d be cool.

I’ll reiterate that I’m not equating power with just damage, though damage is certainly part of the equation. I’m all for making interesting build combos that might forsake some damage to gain some extra utility somewhere else. That wasn’t the point of my last post, though. I’m not against build diversity, I’m against removing mods entirely (as in not using all eight slots) or using dragon keys to intentionally gimp myself to make the game harder. Out of principle, I just shouldn’t have to do that.

Let me also clarify that I’m not one of those players that needs the game to be challenging. I personally enjoy being an unkillable god of destruction, and when I get bored of it I just play something else. That being said though, I do think it’s unfortunate that WF doesn’t give players much of anything in the way of utilizing their most powerful gear. 

9 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

In case you don’t want to read that mess of a post I made just before (I don’t blame you 😅), I do have a specific question I’d like to ask you, @(PSN)Wil_Shatner_face; what were you aiming for as you got more powerful?

Well, I can recall a time when I could barely complete the Sortie, so initially my goal was just to get strong enough to clear all the content in the game. I don’t recall exactly when it happened, but at some point in my progression I went from clearing all the content to trivializing all the content. And again, I’m not necessarily mad about that. After that point, WF became the game I play to turn my brain off and relax. Like I said, I enjoy being this powerful. I’m all for a challenge, too, I’d just prefer it to be an actual challenge made by the devs to test the player. If they’re not going to give us that then I’d rather optimize myself and play efficiently rather than create my own challenge, because I don’t need a challenge to have fun in this game.

Archived