Sentient Status Adaptation Rework : From Status Immunity to Status Resistance.

DrivaMain

Posted (edited)

Sentient presence in the game is much more common than before. Unfortunately, DE have still not address a mechanic that hugely limits build diversity against them and that is status immunity. Sentient adaptation at every health interval only limits damage. You are forced to use critical focused weapons to deal against them. How should we change this? Simple, I’ll list them below.

• Status effects immunity on ALL sentient units is completely removed, they receive status effects like other faction units.
  • Sentient Adaptation affects damage and status application. It means if the sentient adapts to a damage types it will resist 90% of the damage received from that damage type and limits the status application of that damage type to 4, also affects already afflicted status. You can reset the adaptation with Void damage as normal.

As an example, supposed you met a Battalyst. You applied 20 slash status effects on it. You downed it’s health to 75%, the sentient adaptation kicks in and now your applied slash proc is reduced to 4 and you cannot give more. You need to apply void damage to remove that limit.

That’s the end of this proposal. Hopefully when DE touches Sentients again they’ll remove their status immunity.

Edited by DrivaMain
  • Like 9

Yeah, sentients are kind of a pain in the rear to fight right now for that reason, that seems like a good way of balancing their difficulty and preserving player choice. Would this function like it does on bosses currently, where they have a reduced amount of stacks they can recieve, or would it be like normal enemies?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, JimmuTanno88 said:

Yeah, sentients are kind of a pain in the rear to fight right now for that reason, that seems like a good way of balancing their difficulty and preserving player choice. Would this function like it does on bosses currently, where they have a reduced amount of stacks they can recieve, or would it be like normal enemies?

It would be like normal enemies. Sentient bosses like Eidolons and Ropalolyst can keep the reduced limit.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

i might give the Sentients some extra and have it at like, Status capped to 5 at all times, when Adaptation kicks in then cap it to 2 or maybe 1.

but either way, i like the overall premise.

Edited by taiiat

10 minutes ago, taiiat said:

i might give the Sentients some extra and have it at like, Status capped to 5 at all times, when Adaptation kicks in then cap it to 2 or maybe 1.

Bosses might be reasonable, but NOT for units. we learned from gas that arbitrary status caps kills damage overtime effects. So if you apply above the cap existing procs may end pre-maturely to make room for the new proc.

2 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

Bosses might be reasonable, but NOT for units. we learned from gas that arbitrary status caps kills damage overtime effects. So if you apply above the cap existing procs may end pre-maturely to make room for the new proc.

true, capping Status hurts DoT's the most. it could exclude those, though part of my intention was to cap DoT's so that people don't entirely rely on them like they usually do. but without Killing DoT's entirely in the process.
and without creating extra unique mechanics because those are never expressed to the Player so i want to avoid creating confusion.

as for overwriting, i see that as something for the game to solve. a stronger DoT hit should override the weakest or shortest one already on a target. a simple hierarchy like longer precedes shorter, higher Damage precedes lower Damage, and both together precedes all. 

Personally, I find Sentinets overall to be awfully designed - especially the older units. At some point, DE seem to have wanted to make each Sentient a boss for storyline reasons. That made sense when you'd see them rarely only as special events. Now that we have missions of almost nothing by Sentinets, they need a more user-friendly design. Cut down on the stupid esoteric mechanics, curb their ridiculous disco ball of death and balance them closer to a tougher common enemy. Either that, or treat Sentients like the Battalyst and such as BOSSES. That means make them rare spawns similar to the Nox, not something that shows up in numbers of five all the time.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Steel_Rook said:

Either that, or treat Sentients like the Battalyst and such as BOSSES. That means make them rare spawns similar to the Nox, not something that shows up in numbers of five all the time.

I don’t know how would that work once The New Wait War escalates. It would be better if we just downgrade battalyst and conculyst like Sentient versions of Grineer Heavy Gunners, Bombards, and Napalms. Overall beefier stats and weaponry, but still as vulnerable as the grunt. We can make that flying clapping thing as a mini boss where the limited status effects are reasonable.

24 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

The New Wait War

I'm stealing this.

1 hour ago, Steel_Rook said:

treat Sentients like the Battalyst and such as BOSSES

That might be a good short term solution, but we're supposed to dealing with them as the foot soldiers in a larger conflict. Their mechanics could be moved on to other units in the Sentient roster, or their kit should be toned down, as you rightly said. The introduction of them during the Second Dream quest is one of the most unfair encounters in the entire game and something that every player has to deal with being part of the main story, most often with little more than basic weaponry to handle the encounter. 

14 hours ago, DrivaMain said:
  • Status effects immunity on ALL sentient units is completely removed, they receive status effects like other faction units.
  • Sentient Adaptation affects damage and status application. It means if the sentient adapts to a damage types it will resist 90% of the damage received from that damage type and limits the status application of that damage type to 4, also affects already afflicted status. You can reset the adaptation with Void damage as normal.

I like this proposal. Sentients work in a completely different fashion to the rest of the game. Their offensive powerset alone is more than enough for mid level players, but coupled with their high defences on basic units mean you have to build differently for them than what you've been taught elsewhere. 

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Teoarrk said:

That might be a good short term solution, but we're supposed to dealing with them as the foot soldiers in a larger conflict. Their mechanics could be moved on to other units in the Sentient roster, or their kit should be toned down, as you rightly said. The introduction of them during the Second Dream quest is one of the most unfair encounters in the entire game and something that every player has to deal with being part of the main story, most often with little more than basic weaponry to handle the encounter. 

Oh, I agree. Sentients are so massively over-tuned that they're outright unkillable for a lot of people when they first meet them. Only reason I got away with it is I abused Atlas' Landslide to brute-force my way through them. They're intended to be these monsters we run away from rather than fight, but that only works in that one specific encounter. For anything past that, their absurd stats are just a chore to work through, especially without an Operator to reset their resistances. If these guys are going to be showing up everywhere, they need to be actually fun to fight, I think.

23 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

I don’t know how would that work once The New Wait War escalates. It would be better if we just downgrade battalyst and conculyst like Sentient versions of Grineer Heavy Gunners, Bombards, and Napalms. Overall beefier stats and weaponry, but still as vulnerable as the grunt. We can make that flying clapping thing as a mini boss where the limited status effects are reasonable.

I agree with this too. If the Sentients are going to keep turning up as a regular faction, then their units need to be toned down. I'm fine with the occasional Aerolyst here and there, but fighting a faction that's nothing but bullet sponge bosses with insta-kill AoE attacks that destroy mission objectives before you can react just makes for a tedious fight.

Edited by Steel_Rook
  • Like 2