Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ok how can I effectively use Grendel?

This is a Warframe I'd rather play more because of their aesthetic, much like I do with Nidus since I love the idea behind the Warframe or Volt or Frost because of how cool they look however Grendel's flaws seem to be so apparent that I can barely brush past them.

Like what's the preferred playstyle for him? Is he in need of a reworked or some tuning to his abilities? Currently what I struggle with is how much energy he drains based on the amount of people he gobbles up, how do you build this Warframe it's pretty aggravating to try and figure this out.

Is he just plain bad?

Grendel can be played as a brainless tank (just focus on his first and second abilities... don't bother building for any kind of ability-use setup) or a pretty decent caster-nuke. 

If you go caster then the process involves using 1 to eat, 2 to apply buffs (most important being energy), 3 to fire large AOE bombs and the 4 to smash-roll everything in your way.

Grendel is certainly not a very user-friendly frame IMO. The energy maintenance is tricky and the importance of his whole kit is in play when doing a caster setup. Ditching his 4 is probably the best option if you want to Helminth a caster loadout.

Tank loadout is pretty easy to setup. Go big on health+adaptation then subsume something that doesn't really care about your ability stats (big damage Vial Rush is my go-to on tanks). 

Preferred playstyle is "breathing".

Inhale as many enemies as you can. Then exhale their corpses immediately by holding 1. The damage scales of sum of levels of enemies inside belly, if they dont die immediately they will die of fat poison ticks.
Buffing yourself with energy Nourish and Arcane Energize, or subsuming Spectrorage with Spectrosiphon augment helps to mitigate energy sustain.

Regurgitate is completely useless unless you want to launch the enemies to the moon, but you forfeit the drops. Meatball is a meme ability but with Catapult and correct tileset it can be used as mobility tool.

Mostly as a tanky support ,

He has enough health and Armor by default to match inaros in passive survivability.

His 2 provides moderate support and decent self healing and his 1 is a different kind of room clearing debuff ability.

His 4 is actually very good against non armored enemies as it's damage scales with enemy level.

The 3 is ok , but I don't really find it effective and is a candidate for a different helminth ability of personal preference.

Grendel, kind of ironically, should be one of the best frames to abuse shield gating due to him having the lowest base shields of all frames - if I recall correctly. I'd at least consider to ignore building for health or armor or anything to stat-tank damage and would at least try to go for shield gating as defense instead since that usually holds up better and requires less mods to be dedicated to it, meaning I 'd have more slots to fix his energy issues etc..

But then again, I don't play him. I'm not a fan of his energy drain. I dislike 3/4 abilities. He has cycling in his kit. - I actually was interested in him prior to release, but playing him it just didn't click for me. I don't mind if frames have downsides or issues to play around, but his are unfun to deal with for me and how I play.

2 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

Why people dislike him?

Tbf... I really don't know. I cannot even point to any reason. It's just I despise him. From his first reveal until his release. I didn't even bother farming him. I straight out bought him, leveled him to 30 and that's it. Won't even subsume him. Don't want his ability anywhere.

though I don't play him much, Grendel is a frame that just seems to be misunderstood, probably even more so than Limbo. he could use a minor rework: one that keeps his abilities, but makes them easier and more efficient to use and scale better.

sadly I don't see any chance of him getting tweaked until we get near his prime, which is still a few years away.

I've built my Grendel for Rage & Primed Flow among other things. It's pretty fun to vacuum 50+ enemies and cross your fingers that the game doesn't crash when you vomit them out.

But yeah his abilities aren't the best out there. He's basically his 1. His 2 has a useless buff in Nourish Armor and while Energy is pretty cool as a unique buff the durations are on the short-ish side and the cast is annoying. His 3 is weird since it it's a single-shot long-range version of his 1, except it kinda sucks since spitting out enemies one at a time wrecks your terrible energy economy. His 4 is also weird; it has scaling damage, but it's impact of all things and again, 10 enemies in the belly for max damage = bye bye energy. You're also immune to most damage which might be a bug.

All in all, I'm proud to call Grendel my main but he really could use some tweaking. My heart sank when Sevagoth got his 3 which had some of the same issues fixed in days...

59 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

I don’t get the hate for Grendel. He is a good frame for 99% of the content except bosses. Why people dislike him? I guess he doesn’t fit with their brain dead nuke meta agenda.

Hes just boring. I dont exactly hate him, but at least the nuke meta frames often have some sort of mechanic that needs you to think. Hes just a warframe with alot of health.

He just doesnt feel like he excells in any area that makes him woth picking over any other frame. Even with his durability there are other frames that outlast him thanks to some interesting ability.

high energy, high armor, high HP.
His 1st is very good, it deals scaling damage in large AoE when you "vomit", and against Corpus you don't even need more than 100%Str, as long as you have > 12 mobs in your belly you should vomit. Don't keep mobs in your belly, it's usually not worth it (perhaps except specific anti grineers builds).

Use your 2 with Nourish Energy, the other buffs are not worth it.
The 3rd "spit" has scaling damage, but due to how it works it's less efficient than vomiting with his 1st. The 3rd is the best slot if you want to try infused ability

His 4th is fun, but it requires the exilus augment to be less clunky, overall a meme ability.

How I use my Grendel (in steel path, up to 2h in survival) ? as a Melee Tank, I eat/nourish/vomit from time to time (more often against corpus, less against grineer). I infused Khora ensnare or Gloom, both are good, Ensnare works against Acolytes and Demolisher, it's also more mobile than Grendel 1st, and you can still eat the pack of mob. With 600+ energy and 3000HP / 800 armor you can also use Gloom efficiently.

2 hours ago, Leqesai said:

Grendel is certainly not a very user-friendly frame IMO. The energy maintenance is tricky and the importance of his whole kit is in play when doing a caster setup. Ditching his 4 is probably the best option if you want to Helminth a caster loadout.

Using 4th is not easy, indeed. I like this ability but it requires a lot of energy and keeping eye on enemies inside. Killing enemies resets your energy drain speed. It's a way to maintain your "max form" (10 enemies) for some time. As fair I remember I played like this:

- get max energy (pads, zenurik whatever)

- eat enemies (you stops getting energy from some sources, as fair I remember, so you should be little bit quick)

- ball-mode

- when energy drain goes insane kill enemies (jumping)

- when energy goes to ~1/2 => no-ball-mode

Repeat.

It might be not the best/strongest style but if someone want to use Grendel's ball-mode then it's pretty okeish method... I think.

I have each and every warframe modded, formaed and ready for Steel Path, except one. Grendel for me is super boring, very inefficient (energy management, Buff time very short) and his 3 and 4 are nigh unusable. Yes, if all planets in the solar system align correctly, then you can use the 4 sometimes, but honestly, it is so clunky, slow and damageless that it is not worth it.

I had a Grendel post up myself a couple of days ago and no argument helped me liking him. I tried out everything suggested though, but he is just not for me. And judging from my alliance, for noone else as well. Even if you buff him to overpowered numbers, I would most likely still not play him, because of his disgusting visuals and audio.

But to each his own, I am happy for everyone who likes this .... thing and all other designs are great <3

Archived