Jump to content

Another Prime Access. Another purchase-only Ephemera.


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Weren't ephemeras never going to be behind pay walls? Can we start earning these things somewhere?

Credit to @Jarriaga for finding the devstream saying they were "Earn only"

 

3 hours ago, Jarriaga said:

Here you go, 41:08 timestamp: These will be earn-only. 

 

Edited by Deminisis
Added Video proof
  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh no an entire fourth ephemera behind a pay wall. If only there were another twenty four that were earnable/purchasable through in-game means.

  • Like 39
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any cosmetics released in Prime Access are exclusive to Prime Access and Prime Vault.

While you won't be able to farm those specific Ephemera's, there are many avaliable to obtain ingame over time. These include ones from Arbitration, Specific enemies (Exploiter Orb, Stalker etc.), Nightwave, 2FA, Baro, events and event shops, Steel Path shop and Liches.

There are also more coming with sisters of parvos when that launches.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Ephemera

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I would love to see the quote where they promised they would never be behind a paywall. 

A cosmetic no less. 

From update 24.4:

NEW SPECIAL FX: EPHEMERA

Introducing a new way to customize your Warframe: Ephemera! These new 'ATTACHMENTS' can only be earned and crafted by the brave.

This was echoed in several devstreams where they said ephemeras were for "dedicated players who can handle a real challenge" (paraphrased). Personally, I knew what to expect immediately due to previous experience with DE and this was confirmed when the first released ephemeras seemed to imply that "brave" players were simply players "brave" enough to grind easy content over and over again for an extremely long time. 

I'm not against paid cosmetics, in fact I fully support it as a method to pay for the game's development. I think the reason some people are upset is because DE specifically said these items are earned via completing a tough in-game challenge, to be worn as a "badge of honor." Paying for a "badge of honor" feels a bit silly. If DE had stated at the beginning that ephemeras were a new cosmetic that would be sold to support development (as with ~ all other cosmetics), I don't think anybody would have ever had a problem with it. It's the feeling of being deceived that people don't like.

 

  • Like 28
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sevek7 said:

From update 24.4:

NEW SPECIAL FX: EPHEMERA

Introducing a new way to customize your Warframe: Ephemera! These new 'ATTACHMENTS' can only be earned and crafted by the brave.

This was echoed in several devstreams where they said ephemeras were for "dedicated players who can handle a real challenge" (paraphrased). Personally, I knew what to expect immediately due to previous experience with DE and this was confirmed when the first released ephemeras seemed to imply that "brave" players were simply players "brave" enough to grind easy content over and over again for an extremely long time. 

I'm not against paid cosmetics, in fact I fully support it as a method to pay for the game's development. I think the reason some people are upset is because DE specifically said these items are earned via completing a tough in-game challenge, to be worn as a "badge of honor." Paying for a "badge of honor" feels a bit silly. If DE had stated at the beginning that ephemeras were a new cosmetic that would be sold to support development (as with ~ all other cosmetics), I don't think anybody would have ever had a problem with it. It's the feeling of being deceived that people don't like.

 

Thank you. I realize this thread is already falling on deaf ears, but at least there is proof that ephemera's were intended for crafting and earning. I just wish this wouldn't have changed.

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Sevek7 said:

From update 24.4:

NEW SPECIAL FX: EPHEMERA

Introducing a new way to customize your Warframe: Ephemera! These new 'ATTACHMENTS' can only be earned and crafted by the brave.

This was echoed in several devstreams where they said ephemeras were for "dedicated players who can handle a real challenge" (paraphrased). Personally, I knew what to expect immediately due to previous experience with DE and this was confirmed when the first released ephemeras seemed to imply that "brave" players were simply players "brave" enough to grind easy content over and over again for an extremely long time. 

I'm not against paid cosmetics, in fact I fully support it as a method to pay for the game's development. I think the reason some people are upset is because DE specifically said these items are earned via completing a tough in-game challenge, to be worn as a "badge of honor." Paying for a "badge of honor" feels a bit silly. If DE had stated at the beginning that ephemeras were a new cosmetic that would be sold to support development (as with ~ all other cosmetics), I don't think anybody would have ever had a problem with it. It's the feeling of being deceived that people don't like.

 

Well. 

I asked for a quote where they promised there would never be any ephemeras that you could buy with platinum, you didn't provide that quote. I don't see how there is any deception here. 

First of all, there are still quite a few ephemeras that are earn only, and nothing has changed about how those are earned. Players know which are which, if you really want to show off your "badge of honor", which in this game often means battling rng for long enough than anything else anyways...

Second and finally, why are you complaining about this now? That ship sailed long ago. 

You can bypass rng to buy a lich off someone with the ephemera you want, easily getting several of the supposed "earn only" ephemera's, you get one for setting up 2FA, you get one from Baro, which would be laughable to say you "earned", but you want to complain that a game that is F2P and makes a large part of its money on cosmetics is selling cosmetics for money? 

No one was deceived, you are being overly dramatic. 

Edited by Tesseract7777
  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Sevek7 said:

This was echoed in several devstreams where they said ephemeras were for "dedicated players who can handle a real challenge" (paraphrased). Personally, I knew what to expect immediately due to previous experience with DE and this was confirmed when the first released ephemeras seemed to imply that "brave" players were simply players "brave" enough to grind easy content over and over again for an extremely long time. 

At least based on the way you've worded this, I don't see anything that suggests a promise that all ephemera would be earnable.  These were the first ephemera that were released, and to me it makes sense that when they are talking about "ephemera" at that point, they are specifically talking about the ephemera that they are about to release.  I think it is an (understandable) misinterpretation to believe that they were making a broad statement about how all ephemera were going to work going forward.

So I don't think DE deceived anyone.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I asked for a quote where they promised there would never be any ephemeras that you could buy with platinum, you didn't provide that quote. I don't see how there is any deception here. 

I don't really mind either way, but DE's initial definition of ephemeras is "earned and crafted by the brave." Of course that definition changed over time, and that's not necessarily a flaw, but I'm just trying to point out that this changing definition might be the reason why some players are upset. I don't have a quote that specifically says exactly what you asked for, but I thought perhaps this was close enough. Apologies if it didn't meet your criteria.

24 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

First of all, there are still quite a few ephemeras that are earn only, and nothing has changed about how those are earned. Players know which are which, if you really want to show off your "badge of honor", which in this game often means battling rng for long enough than anything else anyways...

Yup, that's why I never really bothered to get most of the ephemeras. Not to mention I think most of them look pretty bad...

25 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Second and finally, why are you complaining about this now? That ship sailed long ago. 

I'm not complaining. I'm just trying to point out a possible reason why the OP may have interpreted DE's initial communications to mean "ephemeras will not be paid cosmetics."

28 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

You can bypass rng to buy a lich off someone with the ephemera you want, easily getting several of the supposed "earn only" ephemera's, you get one for setting up 2FA, you get one from Baro, which would be laughable to say you "earned", but you want to complain that a game that is F2P and makes a large part of its money on cosmetics is selling cosmetics for money? 

No. I'm not complaining. I even specifically stated that I fully support paid cosmetics. I'm not sure how you interpreted that to mean the exact opposite. I merely pointed out that DE's initial ephemera release was couched in language like "earn" and "brave" and "dedicated" which didn't translate into the actual releases. 

26 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

No one was deceived, you are being overly dramatic. 

I'm not being dramatic at all. I don't understand where this came from.

29 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

At least based on the way you've worded this, I don't see anything that suggests a promise that all ephemera would be earnable.  These were the first ephemera that were released, and to me it makes sense that when they are talking about "ephemera" at that point, they are specifically talking about the ephemera that they are about to release.  I think it is an (understandable) misinterpretation to believe that they were making a broad statement about how all ephemera were going to work going forward.

So I don't think DE deceived anyone.

You're right! DE's initial definition of what ephemeras are changed over time. This is not necessarily a bad thing, paid cosmetics keep the game afloat. Nevertheless I can understand why players who latched on to DE's initial language could end up upset due to this changing definition. I agree with you in that I don't think DE were ever trying to deceive anyone, but I can still see why players might feel that way due to the understandable misinterpretation you mentioned.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Sevek7 said:

 

I'm not being dramatic at all. I don't understand where this came from.

Just the part where you said "It's the feeling of being deceived that people don't like.":

That word alone implies intent, and generally intentional malice or at least amoral trickery. 

When it's really what you said in your full post that I'm snipping for space, that their purpose evolved over time, like a lot of things in WF. There is no deception there, intentional or otherwise.  

Edited by Tesseract7777
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Just the part where you said "It's the feeling of being deceived that people don't like.":

That word alone implies intent, and generally intentional malice or at least amoral trickery. 

I tried to choose my words carefully to avoid this confusion. That's why I specifically wrote "feeling of being deceived" instead of just "being deceived." My whole point is that due to a misunderstanding and changing definitions over time it's possible to feel deceived without actually being deceived (in the sense that no malice is intended with the changing definition). 

6 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

When it's really what you said in your full post that I'm snipping for space, that their purpose evolved over time, like a lot of things in WF. There is no deception there, intentional or otherwise.  

Glad we agree :)

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, you can always get it cheaper once it’s available on a Prime Vault package. DE is not charity, they have to make money to fund Warframe’s development. This is a non issue.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The way this post is written completely omits all the other Ephemeras in the game. You may as well try to frame Warframe skins as non-Platinum due to how much TennoGen is added to PC. It's nonsense and a non-issue.

DE killed the original description of Ephemeras when they lowered the bar of acquisition for most of the earned ones and added the Eidolon Ephemera to Nightwave Intermission instead of the original hunting challenge requirement tossed around on Devstreams. The only time the description of Ephemeras fit Update 24.4 patch notes was the original bunch added in said update at that time. Since then, Ephemeras are just any other cosmetic. Blazing Step and Tenebrous are the key examples of DE implying Ephemeras aren't really meant to be very rare and just exist as another cosmetic to own. If those instances don't speak volumes to you, then that's on you, not DE.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember when DE introduced Ephemeras and assured
us they were going to be 100% in game "AcHiEveMenTs"?

Yeah, guess they take their decisions using their wallet now

They are really going for that sense of pride and accomplishment it seems

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Roble_Viejo said:

Remember when DE introduced Ephemeras and assured
us they were going to be 100% in game "AcHiEveMenTs"?

Yeah, guess they take their decisions using their wallet now

They are really going for that sense of pride and accomplishment it seems

They didn't assure it was going to be that way forever. I've seen this complaint before and as @ExcaliburUmbra said once

On 2019-07-11 at 12:29 AM, ExcaliburUmbra said:

Pretty sure their wording was vague enough that it’s difficult to determine if DE was talking about all ephemera or just the ones planned at that point in time.

If this really is an issue for some Tenno, I’d love to hear why they aren’t also launching similar complaints about DE “breaking their word” by giving out the the Lotus ephemera using streams as opposed to an in-game accomplishment.

This was from the Wukong prime ephemera btw

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DE initially did want Ephemeras to be earned through gameplay, but then two things happened

- DE and the community remembered that while you can lock the Ephemeras behind "endgame" content, all of that content is easily trivialized with most loadouts, and then the only thing keeping them out of player's hands is good old RNG, but do enough runs and eventually you get it; or you could be super lucky and get it the very first run, and then never have an incentive to do that activity again, because you already got what you wanted.

- DE underestimated how popular a new class of cosmetic was going to be for the fashionframe community, and the response to Ephemeras was overwhelmingly positive. DE are a business at the end of the day, and if you give out something for free and people like it enough, then you know there's a market for it, and money to be made by selling it. DE want to do whatever they can to get people buying accessories packs, and they knew even before the  Baurahn Prime Ephemera that it would be enough to get people off the fence and buy the packs.

you can expect now to see an Ephemera in most if not all PA packs, and some people will even complain when a PA pack is released without an Ephemera in it. that said, I'm really not too bothered how Ephemeras are obtained, as long as they are worth the time/money put into getting them. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, trst said:

Oh no an entire fourth ephemera behind a pay wall. If only there were another twenty four that were earnable/purchasable through in-game means.

The original idea for Ephemeras was that they wouldn’t be RNG drops and instead be something that you get for completing a certain goal.

Somehow that translated to low RNG drop rates on 30min-3 hour-infinite hour grinds and purchase only ephemeras.

 

Edited by (XBOX)GearsMatrix301
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They already have gated or exclusive content in various ways, pre-order, nightwave, platform, events etc.

See it from the other perspective, people who put money into the game need to be rewarded too, I say spoil people who buy those packs, they deserve it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Voltage said:

The way this post is written completely omits all the other Ephemeras in the game. You may as well try to frame Warframe skins as non-Platinum due to how much TennoGen is added to PC. It's nonsense and a non-issue.

DE killed the original description of Ephemeras when they lowered the bar of acquisition for most of the earned ones and added the Eidolon Ephemera to Nightwave Intermission instead of the original hunting challenge requirement tossed around on Devstreams. The only time the description of Ephemeras fit Update 24.4 patch notes was the original bunch added in said update at that time. Since then, Ephemeras are just any other cosmetic. Blazing Step and Tenebrous are the key examples of DE implying Ephemeras aren't really meant to be very rare and just exist as another cosmetic to own. If those instances don't speak volumes to you, then that's on you, not DE.

If DE had cleared up their intentions with ephemras from the start I really wouldn't care. Using words are a lot better than implications. Blazing and tenebrous are easy to get, but they are still earned through gameplay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

And yet again no way to actually look at any PA items 🙄 what can look good on a NASA PC, could end up looking atrocious on console.. 

Do consoles not have the ability to chat link items?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Deminisis said:

Thank you. I realize this thread is already falling on deaf ears, but at least there is proof that ephemera's were intended for crafting and earning. I just wish this wouldn't have changed.

More like their intention was to have intentionally vague wording so that they could do whatever and have some players go "ah, but they didn't really mean that" in their stead when they "changed their mind" (I doubt prime access ephemera weren't planned all long). It seems to be working!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

vor 16 Minuten schrieb trst:

Do consoles not have the ability to chat link items?

Since when are PA cosmetics linkable? xD and then again, wouldn't hurt for DE to make Accessoires viewable on purchase and in the market.. like 90% of the rest of the game. I'm sick of typing with a #*!%ing controller.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

Since when are PA cosmetics linkable? xD and then again, wouldn't hurt for DE to make Accessoires viewable on purchase and in the market.. like 90% of the rest of the game. I'm sick of typing with a #*!%ing controller.

I'm 99% certain the Primed cosmetics are linkable on PC. 

As to the wording and intention; I guess I've been around long enough to know that DE is going to change their stance up to 5 times before players stop caring about the content and it's mostly a financial choice. 

DE has to make money, it would be insane to have a popular concept go untapped.  On a positive though, they dont overdue it and mill it.  They've largely held to the promise of earning it for free and only have a handful of exclusive ones.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...