Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Another Prime Access. Another purchase-only Ephemera.

Deminisis

18 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I would love to see the quote where they promised they would never be behind a paywall. 

A cosmetic no less. 

Here you go, 41:08 timestamp: These will be earn-only. 

You're welcome.

17 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I asked for a quote where they promised there would never be any ephemeras that you could buy with platinum, you didn't provide that quote. I don't see how there is any deception here. 

By that logic and those standards, you might as well say that you're going to live with Reb because she has never explicitly said otherwiseThey introduced them as "earn-only". The "only" part means no other way to get them. If this was not going to be the case forever then all it would have taken was a clarification that they'll introduce them as regular paid cosmetics later on at that time, or when actually added to the game, or during the hundreds of posts, videos and discussions about it.

It's no coincidence the biggest uproar took place during Wukong Prime because no one ever got a hint that maybe, possibly, DE didn't really mean it when they said "earn-only". No one would be upset or calling them out on it if it wasn't because of their own chosen wording and all Ephemera back then requiring Vitus Essence to craft (No exceptions), which meant that even if you got lucky and got one of the RNG ones like Smoking Body, you would still be unable to use them until you unlocked Arbitrations. Thus, further solidifying the "earn-only" wording. 

vor 20 Stunden schrieb Deminisis:

Weren't ephemeras never going to be behind pay walls? Can we start earning these things somewhere?

Credit to @Jarriaga for finding the devstream saying they were "Earn only"

atleast the epherma cost "only" 44€,, but the Glyphs cost 72€ ..... They should atleast make the Glyphs + Epherma in a discount bundle WITHOUT platinum. for like 10€ or make both in a bundle for like 200 platinum. so people can farm the Plat and buy the Glyph + Epherma

7 minutes ago, Luxienna said:

atleast the epherma cost "only" 44€,, but the Glyphs cost 72€ ..... They should atleast make the Glyphs + Epherma in a discount bundle WITHOUT platinum. for like 10€ or make both in a bundle for like 200 platinum. so people can farm the Plat and buy the Glyph + Epherma

Using premium currency for shop items like prime bundles would be nice.

The point of limited access, exclusive items is to make money.  Allowing players to trade plat to purchase kills that income. 

The only way that could possibly work is of they slapped a restriction on where you could only used purchased plat.  If they can keep track of the new player plat and prevent it from being used for trades or gifting, they can do it for trades vs. bought. 

Upside is, you dont have to buy one lump sum.  It would give players the ability to drop $5 USD once in awhile and build up to it. 

Maybe it's because I don't like most ephemera that much, but I don't see what the big deal is, even if you regard something they said in a devstream about the first wave of ephemera to be a solemn promise about all ephemera unto the end of time.  Which, honestly, I think is a bit unrealistic of a take, but whatever.  Anyway, it would be different if there was some sort of resource or previous sacrifice involved, like if we had to buy or grind for ephemera slots.   Or something like that.  The question is, "What sacrifice did DE trick us into making by saying ephemera would be play-earned only?"  Enlighten me, I'm not coming up with anything.

If somebody is just upset that their monetization plans might have changed, well, my advice is to get used to change.  If it's a player that'd just prefer they not monetize cosmetics, I respect that opinion but don't share it.  If it's a player who just wants DE to monetize things other people care about, I've got nothing to say to that person.

11 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

it would be different if there was some sort of resource or previous sacrifice involved, like if we had to buy or grind for ephemera slots.  Or something like that.  The question is, "What sacrifice did DE trick us into making by saying ephemera would be play-earned only?"  Enlighten me, I'm not coming up with anything.

Playing though the entire game and all missions including those you had avoided for years (Archwing) was that sacrifice. At least for the initial batch. Why? Because they required Vitus Essence as a crafting component; a reward from Arbitrations.

This meant that even if you got extremely lucky and got the Smoking Body Ephemera on your very first Stalker encounter, you would be unable to forge it until you cleared the entire star chart because there's no other way to get that crafting requirement.

11 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

If somebody is just upset that their monetization plans might have changed, well, my advice is to get used to change

By the same token, you might as well say "never hold DE accountable to broken promises and/or misleading statements because things change".  As I wrote before: If they didn't mean to imply the "earn-only" statement was set in stone forever then all it would have taken to save themselves from any backlash was a clarification that they'll introduce them as regular paid cosmetics later when they announced them, or when added to the game, or during the hundreds of posts, videos and discussions about them months before and after their release.

43 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Playing though the entire game and all missions including those you had avoided for years (Archwing) was that sacrifice. At least for the initial batch. Why? Because they required Vitus Essence as a crafting component; a reward from Arbitrations.

This meant that even if you got extremely lucky and got the Smoking Body Ephemera on your very first Stalker encounter, you would be unable to forge it until you cleared the entire star chart because there's no other way to get that crafting requirement.

I'll grant you that somebody who regarded clearing the star chart as a great ordeal and had no other reason to open up Arbitrations might feel that way.  Like, they felt that had to be done in order to make other, future ephemera available.  But, that can't be many people, and it seems odd to presume that Arbitrations would be the key that unlocked all future ephemera.  Would those people also have been upset at Fae Path and Lotus ephemera since they didn't involve any grind at all?

Again, I'm not really grasping the sacrifice that DE tricked us into.  We had to get a Vitus to unlock specific ephemera--we chose whether the cost was whether it to us.   

Maybe if you put it in personal terms so that I'm not guessing about hypothetical players?

45 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

By the same token, you might as well say "never hold DE accountable to broken promises and/or misleading statements because things change".  As I wrote before: If they didn't mean to imply the "earn-only" statement was set in stone forever then all it would have taken to save themselves from any backlash was a clarification that they'll introduce them as regular paid cosmetics later when they announced them, or when added to the game, or during the hundreds of posts, videos and discussions about them months before and after their release.

That strikes me as a fair criticism of their communications.  I don't regard it as a  promise, but "misleading statement" that was never explicitly corrected seems accurate enough afaict.  It does feel a little nitpicky to me, but it's quite plausible I've just let my expectations get too low.

12 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

I'll grant you that somebody who regarded clearing the star chart as a great ordeal and had no other reason to open up Arbitrations might feel that way.  Like, they felt that had to be done in order to make other, future ephemera available.  But, that can't be many people, and it seems odd to presume that Arbitrations would be the key that unlocked all future ephemera.  Would those people also have been upset at Fae Path and Lotus ephemera since they didn't involve any grind at all?

Again, I'm not really grasping the sacrifice that DE tricked us into.  We had to get a Vitus to unlock specific ephemera--we chose whether the cost was whether it to us.   

Maybe if you put it in personal terms so that I'm not guessing about hypothetical players?

That strikes me as a fair criticism of their communications.  I don't regard it as a  promise, but "misleading statement" that was never explicitly corrected seems accurate enough afaict.  It does feel a little nitpicky to me, but it's quite plausible I've just let my expectations get too low.

Fair responses.

Wasnt the comment in the devstream only related to the first batch of ephemeras though?

And what if the ephemeras from things like prime access arent included in the value of the pack, arent they essentially "earned" in such a case?  I mean, we've already had ephemeras based on "earnings" outside of the game.

I've seen the video, and with respect, I don't see any indication they were even implying that future Ephemera's would never, ever, ever be buyable with platinum or obtained in other ways. 

I understand why some people got the impression they did, but... 

Nothing in there says "in the future, there will never be ephemera's you can get outside of earning". 

They simply never said that. If someone took that from what they said, I think with all respect, they simply don't understand DE. DE rarely makes hard promises so you should not interpret their words as such unless it is extremely explicit. And in this case, there was no hard promise here to never have ephemeras that you don't "earn" in game (I still think that is kind of a joke to act like anyone actually earned an ephemera in WF, as all the ephemeras you can "earn" are mostly just battling rng for any decent player lol... but whatever). 

It just isn't what they said. I'm not saying I have no sympathy if someone misinterpreted them, but people are claiming a promise they never made. 

On 2021-05-26 at 4:12 AM, (PSN)Unstar said:

At least based on the way you've worded this, I don't see anything that suggests a promise that all ephemera would be earnable.  These were the first ephemera that were released, and to me it makes sense that when they are talking about "ephemera" at that point, they are specifically talking about the ephemera that they are about to release.  I think it is an (understandable) misinterpretation to believe that they were making a broad statement about how all ephemera were going to work going forward.

So I don't think DE deceived anyone.

Yeah, you’re right. The word “only” is totally subjective and up for speculation of intent.

🙄

On 2021-05-29 at 11:38 PM, _R_o_g_u_e_ said:

Yeah, you’re right. The word “only” is totally subjective and up for speculation of intent.

🙄

My post isn't talking about the word "only", though.  It's talking about the word "these", which is ambiguous.  If you are genuinely wanting to engage with me in good faith on this topic, please read my post again with this in mind.

On 2021-05-30 at 1:22 PM, Tesseract7777 said:

I've seen the video, and with respect, I don't see any indication they were even implying that future Ephemera's would never, ever, ever be buyable with platinum or obtained in other ways. 

I understand why some people got the impression they did, but... 

Nothing in there says "in the future, there will never be ephemera's you can get outside of earning". 

They simply never said that. If someone took that from what they said, I think with all respect, they simply don't understand DE. DE rarely makes hard promises so you should not interpret their words as such unless it is extremely explicit. And in this case, there was no hard promise here to never have ephemeras that you don't "earn" in game (I still think that is kind of a joke to act like anyone actually earned an ephemera in WF, as all the ephemeras you can "earn" are mostly just battling rng for any decent player lol... but whatever). 

It just isn't what they said. I'm not saying I have no sympathy if someone misinterpreted them, but people are claiming a promise they never made. 

“We are introducing a new type of cosmetic. This will be earn only. You will only be able to obtain them by playing, things like sorties, arbitration’s ESO.”

It’s a pretty conclusive statement. I personally don’t think it’s a big deal, but the way Rebecca said what she said, has clearly given people this impression, hence people’s reactions. The way you’re talking reminds me of the “No, money down?” Scene with Lionel Huts from the Simpson’s.

Imagine complaining about playing a completely free game and not having enough free stuff in it.

If the cosmetics that come with a 20€-50€-90€ pack were to be made farmable for free in the game no one would buy it as the sense of exclusivity would be gone

DE with no money = DE with small dev team = slower updates, less bug fixes, less content

I'm sure they meant well saying that but they also need to make money, bashing them for such small thing that a lot of other games even take advantage of, speaks volumes about how open minded a person is

4 hours ago, _R_o_g_u_e_ said:

“We are introducing a new type of cosmetic. This will be earn only. You will only be able to obtain them by playing, things like sorties, arbitration’s ESO.”

It’s a pretty conclusive statement. I personally don’t think it’s a big deal, but the way Rebecca said what she said, has clearly given people this impression, hence people’s reactions. The way you’re talking reminds me of the “No, money down?” Scene with Lionel Huts from the Simpson’s.

I have already explained why I think your line of reasoning is silly. I am not going to keep arguing on about it ad infinitum. 

Think whatever you want, I don't care. If you believed that beyond the ones they were just then releasing, that no other ones in the future would be anything besides "earn only", ever, then you were deceived by no one but yourself.  

1 hour ago, --EC--Adrenaline said:

Imagine complaining about playing a completely free game and not having enough free stuff in it.

If the cosmetics that come with a 20€-50€-90€ pack were to be made farmable for free in the game no one would buy it as the sense of exclusivity would be gone

DE with no money = DE with small dev team = slower updates, less bug fixes, less content

I'm sure they meant well saying that but they also need to make money, bashing them for such small thing that a lot of other games even take advantage of, speaks volumes about how open minded a person is

You're acting like "free to play" is a new concept that no one else does.

Fortnite is one of the leading F2P games out there, and they have V-bucks earnable through farming and gameplay. The acquisition rate might be atrocious, but it exists for purchasing shop items.

DE is owned by one of the largest holding companies in the world, so I doubt money is scarce. I've seen a increase in cosmetic packs and quick access packs like railjacks and mechs being purchasable, so monetization is still there.

Why I can't show my disapproval to "Earnable" ephemeras no longer being earnable with no communication that the original concept was being altered is beyond me.

36 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I have already explained why I think your line of reasoning is silly. I am not going to keep arguing on about it ad infinitum. 

Think whatever you want, I don't care. If you believed that beyond the ones they were just then releasing, that no other ones in the future would be anything besides "earn only", ever, then you were deceived by no one but yourself.  

Or perhaps, deceived by the people of authority in this situation who specifically said the thing in the exact words that I believed.

Archived