TennoCon 2021 Prime Gaming "Bonus" Feedback

Voltage

Posted (edited)

I understand the new industry standard of integrating games with Twitch/Amazon Prime, but it is extremely annoying as a consumer that this model locks loads of cosmetics behind a steep subscription paywall that is outside of the game. At least when I buy Prime Access, my money goes directly to Digital Extremes, not to Bezos.

Now referring to TennoCon 2021:

unknown.png

Quite frankly, it's infuriating that part of the TennoCon experience is locked behind Amazon Prime with this "bonus reward". Why are players who directly support the event forced to additionally pay Bezos to get the full TennoCon experience?

I know I am just a single player, but these practices really don't feel necessary and it doesn't help with the deceptive marketing of a "free" glyph for the low price of $103.02 worth of Amazon Prime subscription. It's awful at best. These marketing practices belong to EA, Activision, and other franchises that are notorious for putting players' wallets before the player. Warframe should be the leader of these standards on treating players more respectfully, not the follower.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 18

Look at this screenshot: https://ibb.co/DkHwprM

Is there anytingg about Amazon Prime (which is not free)?

In game it is told that item is free but following link gives "

Become a Prime member to claim

"

So i really wish that DE will stop using some direct lies as part of marketing plan.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Zilotz said:

So i really wish that DE will stop using some direct lies as part of marketing plan.

I just find it awful that any time a company adopts Twitch/Amazon integration, they lock players out based on a completely arbitrary platform subscription.

DE and Amazon have separated how much a player gets out of TennoCon even if they purchased Digital and Merch packs directly from Digital Extremes to support the event.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

While this is an odd and kind of shady practice, at least it's just cosmetic stuff (exclusive cosmetic stuff sure, but nothing that would have direct affect on gameplay).
Just really hoping that their "tennocon bonus" for amazon isn't something like the athodai (ie,a never before seen fully functioning weapon, but in this case locked behind a paywall) because that's a big red flag in my book.

Edited by JimmuTanno88
improved phrasing

Posted (edited)

While I'm lucky in the fact I do have amazon prime at the moment, I still don't like the approach DE are taking with twitch rewards... and I've complained about the use of 'free' in the in game messages numerous times in the past myself...

Considering that we've got 'exclusive' skins from the first reward I'd say the odds of the tennocon one being something you won't be able to get any other way (I wouldn't be shocked to see a 'custom' version of an old tennocon armor) is pretty high imo but then I'm not a fan of exclusive stuff in the first place. 

Might seem a weird comparison but I also grab GTA's rewards and it doesn't give me anything exclusive, I get some free money (tiny amount really), some bigger discounted vehicles and something like a business/add on for free... in other words nothing you couldn't get without prime, it would just cost you a little more time and/or in game money.

later edit:

5 hours ago, JimmuTanno88 said:

While this is an odd and kind of shady practice, at least it's just cosmetic stuff (exclusive cosmetic stuff sure, but nothing that would have direct affect on gameplay).
Just really hoping that their "tennocon bonus" for amazon isn't something like the athodai (ie,a never before seen fully functioning weapon locked behind a paywall) because that's a big red flag in my book.

Athodai was (originally) just watching the live stream of tennocon on twitch (linked accounts), you didn't need twitch prime....obviously still annoying due to time zones.  It had 'issues' so it ended up just being a game login reward over tennocon.

Edited by LSG501
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, JimmuTanno88 said:

Just really hoping that their "tennocon bonus" for amazon isn't something like the athodai (ie,a never before seen fully functioning weapon locked behind a paywall) because that's a big red flag in my book.

Athodai drops from Railjack missions now.

14 hours ago, Voltage said:

I just find it awful that any time a company adopts Twitch/Amazon integration, they lock player out based on a completely arbitrary platform subscription.

I don't really care much about paywall on other service, but i strongly dislike lies(when they say ingame "it is free" while it is clearly not).

• Like 2

On 2021-05-26 at 2:04 PM, LSG501 said:

Athodai was (originally) just watching the live stream of tennocon on twitch (linked accounts), you didn't need twitch prime....obviously still annoying due to time zones.  It had 'issues' so it ended up just being a game login reward over tennocon.

Yes, I phrased it poorly. I was meaning that if they give out a fully functioning weapon this year and lock it behind prime gaming that would be the problem, like athodai but with more p2w.

I have no desire to support or condone Amazon or their business practices in any way whatsoever.

I enjoy WarFrame but I find it very off-putting they send what are glorified advertisements via IN GAME MAIL instead of what they usually do through e-mail, website, the news box (which also has the same info) and so on.

I don't appreciate 'Darvo' sending me a glorified advertisement via in-game mail.  It is already in the (very obvious) news section on the Orbiter as well as prominently on the website.  The misleading use of 'Free' without any asterisks or 'conditions apply' or anything is also something I didn't think DE would resort towards doing to their playerbase.  A simple line from Darvo saying 'as always there are conditions for everything so check it out for details'.  That would be a clue that something is up.

Are we getting actual 'free' items via some 'redeem' promotion or something?  Nope.  It is a glorified advert for Amazon of all things.

I remember when we got actual full on PRIME WarFrames from doing this Amazon Prime connection stuff.  "Primes with Prime" I believe the marketing slogan was.  That was fantastic.  Now?  These rewards are SO MINIMAL and SO BAD that it makes the Power Glove ™️ look better!

Now if it were Loki Prime?  You'd have a lot of very happy people signing up and you all wouldn't have multiple threads here and on the Steam forums questioning this marketing practice.

If you wanted attention, you got it; despite beliefs to the contrary not all attention is the good kind.

2 hours ago, JimmuTanno88 said:

Yes, I phrased it poorly. I was meaning that if they give out a fully functioning weapon this year and lock it behind prime gaming that would be the problem, like athodai but with more p2w.

Ehh, locking mastery behind Prime gaming seems unlikely. At most, it's a timed exclusive again like last year. 

But, as Gears pointed out above, the odds of the reward script breaking again are also likely on our side. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, (XBOX)Skippy575 said:

Ehh, locking mastery behind Prime gaming seems unlikely. At most, it's a timed exclusive again like last year. 

But, as Gears pointed out above, the odds of the reward script breaking again are also likely on our side. 

Wouldn't count on it this time, remember the twitch claiming setup has been changed. 

The game is free but in order for the game to stay, it is necessary to link to third party websites to promote the game and attract money from partners and advertisers. That's how DE makes money. I avoid these sites. the most I do is to be subscribed to the twitcher and even then I only watch the devstreams that are interesting ... the other streams depending on the drops I get afk ....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Vaml77 said:

The game is free but in order for the game to stay, it is necessary to link to third party websites to promote the game and attract money from partners and advertisers. That's how DE makes money. I avoid these sites. the most I do is to be subscribed to the twitcher and even then I only watch the devstreams that are interesting ... the other streams depending on the drops I get afk ....

I don't care that they do marketing.  I care that they are doing misleading marketing with false promises of 'Free' without making it clear that signing up for Amazon is required.  The failure to disclose properly is a failure of the marketing.  It is bad.  Please grow a backbone and refuse to defend this nonsense.

And again I'll reiterate literally the same info is already in the news section on the Orbiter ship.  It wasn't even necessary to do the in-game mail method.  The player, upon logging in, is immediately taken away from the game to view what is a glorified misleading advertisement about a 'free gift' that isn't free and requires signing up for a service.

This isn't as bad as mobile game adverts, but misleading is misleading nonetheless.  DE and many others are taking advantage of the infighting and distractions that the FTC have been dealing with to run rampant and do whatever they feel like instead.

Edited by Daedalus007
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Daedalus007 said:

I don't care that they do marketing.  I care that they are doing misleading marketing with false promises of 'Free' without making it clear that signing up for Amazon is required.  The failure to disclose properly is a failure of the marketing. 

Exactly! If they put same message ingame but indicating "free if you already have AmazonPrime, if you don't it's 6EUR a month before taxes" instead for just "free" it would be fully okay.

So marketing is not bad, lies are.