Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We NEED Dedicated WarFrame Servers

Daedalus007

It has been EIGHT years.  We NEED dedicated WarFrame servers now.  No more excuses.

You all at DE make more than enough money to support dedicated servers, I've seen the (public) financials since you were acquired by Tencent (more or less acquired, at least).

Constant networking issues because of reasons.  Most people's internet in the USA does not have a generous 'upload' limit due to the MPAA/RIAA mafia in the USA wanting to mitigate piracy as much as possible and ISPs being more than willing to comply if it reduces their costs as well.

I'd love for Digital Extremes to actually pray what they preach with a significant QoL feature now that we have 'open world' areas and sometimes dozens of people in relays and other spots.  Having dedicated servers for 4-player stuff (now that raids were ripped out apparently) should not be difficult nor expensive.  You all have the money, talent, and engineering to get it done within days if not a week or two.  I happen to be a Cisco-certified network engineer myself, if any of you want some professional advice (for a nominal fee, as Darvo would say).

However I'm more than confident that the devs at DE know their stuff (at least from what I've seen recently) regarding networking and making everything play together.  Why are we still one of the only P2P multiplayer games left on Steam?  It is a disgrace and an embarassment to WarFrame and the big '8th Anniversary' marketing push to still be using P2P tech like it is still the 2010s.

Enough is enough, make it happen DE.

6 minutes ago, (PSN)IndianChiefJeff said:

I mean, they got Tencent money, and I'm really sick of host migrations in ESO, so...Yeah.

Let's do it!

Bold to assume Tencent's actually willing to give them money.

AFAIK, deals like what happened with Warframe are basically because pre-existing franchises like WF just print money with no potentially scary dev costs for the corporate overlord. Which is nice from the 'Tencent probably won't go full dark lord on us' angle since rocking the boat would be an issue, but it also means that if DE came up to Tencent saying "hey could we, uh, we get a few million dollars for data centers worldwide? Per year?" then Tencent probably wouldn't say yes.

If DE were to include dedicated servers. Prepare for a more "predatory" monetization system like Subscriptions and Paid DLCs or heck maybe worst case scenario we will get unwanted ADS. Servers do not come cheap these days. One guy calculates it will take around 50 million dollars a year to manage them. Warframe only makes 100 million in gross revenue. It won't be enough.

Let's say they make 'more than enough money' now. After switching to dedicated servers they will make 'less than enough money'. Because people with bad internet can still play P2P solo. Even if my internet disconnects during a mission, when it does reconnect I can extract and keep all my loot/progress. That won't happen with dedicated servers, I will just lose it altogether. There are alot of countries with people that can play and afford to spend money on the game but also have bad internet infrastructure. Those people will stop spending money because they will lose connection more than they do due to host migration.

If the servers are in NA, DE will lose alot of customers from all over the world. They will start losing money.

Set your ping limit to 100 and you will become the host most of the time.

I only hope they don’t waste time to nerf weapons for the sake of “balancing”. Spend the time on things that players enjoy instead! Dedicated servers may be a great ideas but if it takes millions of dollar to host them, don’t do it. 

Servers are expensive. Moreso than people think to buy and maintain them.

That being said, Bobby Kotick could probably fund servers with just whatever ends up in his couch and under the seat of his vehicle every month, but Activision Blizzard still charges a monthly fee for World or Warcraft. Other games that are free to play often have things stuck behind paywalls or truly awful microtransactions for many things in the game. Warframe strikes a nice balance and while annoying and needs improvement, the occasional failed host migration isn't the end of the world. I still want there to be an Only Host/Only Client/Any option though.

I'm not prepared to pay a monthly fee for servers or have the hassle of obnoxious microtransactions in Warframe.

I actually don't care about DS, seems like a huge investment for not much gain, from my experience.

I'd prefer they spend some dev time making the migration system flawless, make it impossible to kick players to main menu because "lost connection" instead of migrating me solo so I can extract after a long farm...

Or better yet, pause the game and retry connection to host with a popup showing a countdown to automatic migration to solo and a button to migrate to solo right away.

@Daedalus007

Guild Wars 2 is a much slower paced game, that's far less data to send back and forth to run the game. Path of Exile is also slower paced game that is 2D. That will be even less data traffic to coordinate. As for Destiny 2, aren't you still restricted to older parts of the game if you're a free player? So that's content locked behind paywall unless you buy the DLC. Stuff has also been removed from the game to lighten the server load. Much more than raids and the solar rail stuff that is gone from Warframe.

3 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

Who says we don't want dedicated servers? We in fact do, however looking at the current state of things it's very unlikely unless DE are willing to poke their players for more cash.

Indeed.

Archived