Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frames Look Terrible. Some Of It.

Shinobi-kun

The Excalibur for one looks basic, but overall slick looking especially his feet, I expected the same thing from Ash, until it looked like some weird fusion of a carapace armor laced over skin-tight spandex pjs.

Lobster skirts of the Trinity's, hipster glass with dangling, rubbery, fleshy thing, weird Pendragon helmet that looks more like a hog's, animations look showy/not natural, almost as if the devs ran out of ideas or the character models were rushed thus resulting in chara models not... 'full' enough.

Note that most npcs have disproportionate body parts ie. thigh, calf, concave knees, and a weird butt when they crouch. 

Ash's default animation (how should I put it) with a bow equipped has a broken stomach, see here:

http://i.imgur.com/DFAZDiH.jpg

And Ash's noble animations nocking a bow.

http://i.imgur.com/TQnOkhM.jpg

Basically put, I say the models and animations need a better look from different views or perspectives. 

It's off topic, but I must say I am disappointed in some items' pricing. Especially with the newly released and for the x10 piece gear price of 250k creds.

It's not worth it if I have to spent 40k and then another 25k to build myself a weapon, and how come Dual Vastos need an extra Cell compared to other twin/dual/akimbo weapons? 

Its ridiculously expensive enough if I had to spent 60k to buy 2 Vasto BPs, another 60k to build them, and another 70k to build myself a dual Vasto.

The guy responsible for these derpy design decisions basically said in a livestream a while back that he "liked the flaws and it was unlikely to change". He said he'd "take a look" at one of the biggest complaints of people so far (Nova's giraffe neck) but I think he was essentially lying since I haven't seen it changed at all, nor has he made any posts on the forums about it (to the best of my knowledge). There was also a bit of a **** storm over the next Warframe's concept that is to be released but nothing ever came from it on DE's side, and I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if not a single element from the concept was changed for release.

Basically design team likes making derpy things and it's not changing, lol. "Creative expression" or some such nonsense, I'm sure...

Edited by DavidSPD

The guy responsible for these derpy design decisions basically said in a livestream a while back that he "liked the flaws and it was unlikely to change". He said he'd "take a look" at one of the biggest complaints of people so far (Nova's giraffe neck) but I think he was essentially lying since I haven't seen it changed at all, nor has he made any posts on the forums about it (to the best of my knowledge). There was also a bit of a **** storm over the next Warframe's concept that is to be released but nothing ever came from it on DE's side, and I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if not a single element from the concept was changed for release.

Basically design team likes making derpy things and it's not changing, lol.

If you look at Nova season 2 helmet preview, you'll notice her neck is actually much shorter. Even some of th"muscle lines" on her neck looks different to accomodate the new mesh.

I agree about the ash design, for being pretty much the only actual Ninja in a game that is proudest for calling it self a space-ninja shooter, I feel the design is really lacking. Most other frames still have redeeming qualities in terms of design, but ash really feels ugly and plain :/. The biceps look really weird, almost too flat and disk like. Maybe that's just me, but I feel ash's design was really lazy. 

Frankly, I don't have much issue with Ash, although I agree he might be overly "clean" compared to other frames. I'm even okay with Trinity's lobster tail if colored right. (after all both lobsters and trinities are immortal) But my biggest dislike is the giant flour tortilla that Volt is wearing on his lower half like some douchie 90's grunge rocker would do with his shirt(s).

Less annoying but similar is Frost's built in trench coat. The game lacks any cloth physics (scarfs don't count, yet) so they just just have to go with the old standby of hand animating that stuff with the models animations. That tends to look really bad, and unnatural, if you should have an eye to notice it, and I apologize if I've ruined those frames for anyone by putting this thought in their head. I'd glad DE has stayed away from designing cloth bits on most of the models, it just doesn't seem to work.

Even Ember's poofy thigh-pants, which look amazing in concept art, look funky in-game. Giving them some slight counter movement to her actual legs would go a long way towards showing that they are indeed cloth-like designs and she doesn't have mutated thunder thighs.

Animation glitches/mesh warping can all be fixed. Those I can agree on.

But basic aesthetics of the game itself being "bad" is something I will fully disagree with.

I posted this when people were raging over the Berserker's look This part of the post seems to fit this topic as well:

"The main artist (I believe his name is Mynki?) stated in the art livestream that the reason why certain warframes have certain "quirks" to their armor - like Ember's thighs, Frost's coat, Trinity's "lobster" skirt - is because it adds a certain uniqueness to them all. Instead of just making them into the typical trope appearance-wise, he adds a quirk here and there to give them more personality. He keeps the basic "trope" going - Ember = fire - but he accentuates the trope in certain ways to give those characters true definition."

As the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Though I might have my own misgivings on certain artistic pieces of work in this game, I'm not going to say it's "terrible". In fact I totally respect the art design team for not just going with the flow and making everyone look "typical". Those quirks give these warframes more personality just by looking at them.

I agree with you wholeheartedly SoulEchelon, I love that they do weird and unexpected designs. A minigun that looks like a submarine? I love it. Really. No joke. I do. I can't stand "realistic" shooters. Snooze-fest.

But I still wouldn't say that means that every design is a home run. There are a few turds, here and there. I'm not even talking about the cloth issue, just stuff in general. That, of course, is very subjective. But the fact that they always try to do something that hasn't been seen before is very appreciated.

I agree with you wholeheartedly SoulEchelon, I love that they do weird and unexpected designs. A minigun that looks like a submarine? I love it. Really. No joke. I do. I can't stand "realistic" shooters. Snooze-fest.

But I still wouldn't say that means that every design is a home run. There are a few turds, here and there. I'm not even talking about the cloth issue, just stuff in general. That, of course, is very subjective. But the fact that they always try to do something that hasn't been seen before is very appreciated.

Indeed. Like I said I disagree with a few things here and there as well (I still believe Ash should've been female simply because we already have a male "ninja" in the form of Loki), but I'll never say the design choices are terrible.

I posted this when people were raging over the Berserker's look This part of the post seems to fit this topic as well:

"The main artist (I believe his name is Mynki?) stated in the art livestream that the reason why certain warframes have certain "quirks" to their armor - like Ember's thighs, Frost's coat, Trinity's "lobster" skirt - is because it adds a certain uniqueness to them all. Instead of just making them into the typical trope appearance-wise, he adds a quirk here and there to give them more personality. He keeps the basic "trope" going - Ember = fire - but he accentuates the trope in certain ways to give those characters true definition."

Berserker is a bad example though, she has no quirks as such, just a god awfull design. Not one of Mykis best.

Berserker is a bad example though, she has no quirks as such, just a god awfull design. Not one of Mykis best.

Eh it probably ties in with the whole Zanuka project thing. So the Berserker is basically a Corpus manufactured Warframe which would be unique since the only faction who has their own Warframe is Grineer's Tyl Regor.

(A little history for those who don't know what im talking about)

Tyle Regor is the father of gene cloning who was trying to find out how to make grineer healthy again. He found out our Techocyte in our Warframes has unique healing abilities. He deciphered the Techocytes "gene coding" and experimented on himself. Doing this he got healthy but had a new exoskeleton over himself which was a Grineer Warframe.

So maybe the Berserker is basically the Corpus warframe. To be honest, I liked most of the frame except for the boob tubes and the shackles. 

Tyle Regor is the father of gene cloning who was trying to find out how to make grineer healthy again. He found out our Techocyte in our Warframes has unique healing abilities. He deciphered the Techocytes "gene coding" and experimented on himself. Doing this he got healthy but had a new exoskeleton over himself which was a Grineer Warframe.

Where are you getting this from? It doesn't say any of this in game except for him trying to fix clone degredation.

Where are you getting this from? It doesn't say any of this in game except for him trying to fix clone degredation.

Seconded, I don't recall seeing that info anywhere, and Tyl has some generic blue grineer armor on him still, I believe.

Name your source, sir!

What annoys me about Ash is really his chest. Compared to every other Warframe, it lacks detail. There's no play with the color palette on it, it's just one flat color. There's none of the edging or detailing that you see in Excalibur or Nyx, the kind of details that make for good paint jobs.

Ash in general is a two-tone frame where the colors are divided in stark, hard to work with ways. it's the reason "Desert Ash" is the most common paint job, because it's the one you can use three colors on and it doesn't look awkward.

Animations....I don't necessarily have a problem with, although I'm not saying they couldn't be better. But Ash simply isn't fun to come up with color designs for, for me. Everything feels like a compromise because of how the color scheme was designed.

What annoys me about Ash is really his chest. Compared to every other Warframe, it lacks detail. There's no play with the color palette on it, it's just one flat color. There's none of the edging or detailing that you see in Excalibur or Nyx, the kind of details that make for good paint jobs.

Ash in general is a two-tone frame where the colors are divided in stark, hard to work with ways. it's the reason "Desert Ash" is the most common paint job, because it's the one you can use three colors on and it doesn't look awkward.

Animations....I don't necessarily have a problem with, although I'm not saying they couldn't be better. But Ash simply isn't fun to come up with color designs for, for me. Everything feels like a compromise because of how the color scheme was designed.

This, So much this. I personally like the way his arms and hands are constructed, and I love the spinal pattern on his back. However, the rest of his torso really lacks defining detail. Other Warframes look like augment-oriented combat suits. Ash - with the exception of his arms and back, perhaps the helmet, - looks like a goof in a spandex suit. He needs a bit of ornamentation. Plugs. Cables. Circuitry. I don't really care what. SOMETHING to disrupt the monotony of his torso. Playing him from behind, he looks great. Looking at him in the Arsenal, he looks terrible. This isn't the same thing as the stylistic ideosyncrasies that Mynki mentioned being fond of in the Livestream. I'd identify those as the odd little chin-tusks he has, and the creepy mangrove-root textures over his arms. His upcoming skin doesn't really fix the problem, either. It just adds more visual clutter. What he needs is more visual detail. At least, if that makes any sense to anyone.

'm pretty sure if you look into the dev notes, Ash is one of the oldest designs. It follows that he is going to show that compared to others. And his frame has been updated at least once, with the wrist mounts that seem to hide blades he uses in his uber.

'm pretty sure if you look into the dev notes, Ash is one of the oldest designs. It follows that he is going to show that compared to others. And his frame has been updated at least once, with the wrist mounts that seem to hide blades he uses in his uber.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but there's also a distinct dichotomy between the amount of detail that went into creating Excalibur and Loki, both of whom should be from around the same timeframe of creation. Don't get me wrong, as has a very good design that is unique while at the same time following the general shape of other Warframes. What he's lacking is detail on a very specific portion of his model.