Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

ESO host swaps and loss of operator xp

On 2021-05-29 at 7:48 AM, MqToasty said:

Are you going to pay a monthly fee to DE so they can host the servers?

Everyone acts like DE barely makes enough to scrape by, Paladins, a failing and dead free to play hero shooter with around 15,000 players total still has dedicated servers, and has since day one.

DE is no longer a small company, and if they want to keep the peer-to-peer model, they need to fix these bugs.

2 hours ago, XiPoohBear said:

That's the dumbest response I have ever heard.

For me personally, going straight for insults is even dumber.

But that's just me. I'm more of a classy-comeback fan. 

2 hours ago, SheikaVoid said:

Everyone acts like DE barely makes enough to scrape by, Paladins, a failing and dead free to play hero shooter with around 15,000 players total still has dedicated servers, and has since day one.

DE is no longer a small company, and if they want to keep the peer-to-peer model, they need to fix these bugs.

Probably they are?

I mean... we'll never know, right? None of us have access to DE's books. We don't know how much DE makes, or how much of it needed for operational, or how much their operational costs anyway.

Idk how rich or poor steve or rebecca are, maybe all their employees are overpaid so DE can't afford servers. Idk how much money they need to give to tencent. And I certainly don't know how taxes work in canada.

Hi-rez is no small studio. We don't know if they pulled some strings and get server rent really cheap. 

Or you could be right. DE is just a greedy company that for some reason refuses to fix their game.

I guess we'll never know...

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Soy77:

Hi-rez is no small studio. We don't know if they pulled some strings and get server rent really cheap. 

Are you really responding with "but those other guys aren't small companies" to "DE is no longer a small company"? Seriously?

5 hours ago, XiPoohBear said:

Then please show us another successful MMORPG launched at least 7 years ago that does not collect monthly fees while still utilizing a client-server model.  Resorting to insults because you understand neither the basic technical nor economical considerations of running an online game is more a reflection of your intelligence, not mine.

5 hours ago, SheikaVoid said:

So are you suggesting that Warframe, a successful MMORPG / looter-shooter, should following in the footsteps of Paladins, a failing and dead MOBA FPS?  I don't get your logic.

5 hours ago, SheikaVoid said:

Honestly, I do not see any incentive for DE to invest in a complete overhaul of their architecture to become client-server.  I see 10x more "crossplay please!" threads than these "client-server please!" threads, so even if DE were willing to screw their profit margin, this will be much lower on their priority list.  If you are this passionate about these bugs that you purport to be critical, then perhaps you need to speak louder and post more about it.

3 hours ago, Krankbert said:

Are you really responding with "but those other guys aren't small companies" to "DE is no longer a small company"? Seriously?

Let's say that I'm hypothetically serious. Then what?

Gerade eben schrieb Soy77:

Let's say that I'm hypothetically serious. Then what?

If you’re not even going to pretend to acknowledge what other people write then there’s no point in engaging you or interacting with you. That’s what.

13 minutes ago, Krankbert said:

If you’re not even going to pretend to acknowledge what other people write then there’s no point in engaging you or interacting with you. That’s what.

Dude say: 

(1) DE is huge! Therefore they should fix warframe

(2) look at this way smaller game must be made by smaller company, even they can do things right

I say:

Buddy, they're probably not as small as you describe them in your post (hence i drop the name Hi-rez. Because i know some gamers will recognize it)

I was 100% acknowledging his point therefore i reacted to it. Seems you're a little lost there, mate. Hopefully this clear your confusion.

Just now, Krankbert said:

Let's say for the sake of argument, that my point was not that Warframs hould fail, but that its company can afford to create server infrastructure, especially given the fact that even fairly niche games on steam, aside from Paladins, can afford the luxury.

9 hours ago, XiPoohBear said:

You must be new to the internet. Your experiences seem limited. 

Either that or you’re prone to exaggeration.

But I suppose it doesn’t matter. Both leave little room to take you seriously. Especially after being so hostile to your first reply like that.

Maybe see a professional about anger management.

Personally I’m sending you big hugs and kisses. Feel better soon.

Ghost Hug GIF

Just now, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

we had jars for founder threads and limbo haters. now we need a new jar, this time for "people who think going from P2P to dedicated servers is as easy as flipping a switch, so they should just do it!"

make sure it's a big jar, with a reinforced bottom.

Firstly, I thank you for your condescension.

Secondly, I'm a server network supervisor, I understand that the systems would need heavy modification, but I think that reinforcing the strength of your network is well within DE's means.

11 hours ago, SheikaVoid said:

Fixing these issues is not nearly as easy, or even possible as you make it out to be, as long as the game remains P2P. 

And just going from P2P to dedicated servers, even for certain sections of the game... do you have any idea of the expense? Because it is a lot of money, and I don't think we know enough about DE's books to say with any confidence that that is something they could afford. 

The Ghoul Saw, a single weapon, got put off for months because they want every hand on deck working on updates like Call of The Tempestarii and Sisters of Parvos... do you really think they are big enough or rich enough that it would be that simple for them to just "fix these bugs", or switch to dedicated servers, when they cannot even finish a single saw weapon in a timely manner? I mean, I know it isn't a priority, but still. If they were as big and rich and powerful a company now as you say, something like that wouldn't be put on the backburner for months because they literally cannot afford a single man hour working on it with update after update continuing to put it off. That is just one example out of many, of course. 

Just now, Tesseract7777 said:

Fixing these issues is not nearly as easy, or even possible as you make it out to be, as long as the game remains P2P. 

And just going from P2P to dedicated servers, even for certain sections of the game... do you have any idea of the expense? Because it is a lot of money, and I don't think we know enough about DE's books to say with any confidence that that is something they could afford. 

The Ghoul Saw, a single weapon, got put off for months because they want every hand on deck working on updates like Call of The Tempestarii and Sisters of Parvos... do you really think they are big enough or rich enough that it would be that simple for them to just "fix these bugs", or switch to dedicated servers, when they cannot even finish a single saw weapon in a timely manner? I mean, I know it isn't a priority, but still. If they were as big and rich and powerful a company now as you say, something like that wouldn't be put on the backburner for months because they literally cannot afford a single man hour working on it. 

I'm pretty sure DE could afford to host some listen servers for a dwindling playerbase.

47 minutes ago, SheikaVoid said:

I'm pretty sure DE could afford to host some listen servers for a dwindling playerbase.

Do you have any evidence to support any of this?

Even if they had the cash lying around (which they wouldn't), it's a huge investment (meaning significant risk). For an investment of that size/risk, they'd want to be pretty certain they're going to make their money back. The expected growth in revenue is unlikely to offset the significant increase in costs.

It wouldn't make sense for any business to make such a large investment.

Just now, (PSN)iuvenilis said:

Do you have any evidence to support any of this?

Even if they had the cash lying around (which they wouldn't), it's a huge investment (meaning significant risk). For an investment of that size/risk, they'd want to be pretty certain they're going to make their money back. The expected growth in revenue is unlikely to offset the significant increase in costs.

It wouldn't make sense for any business to make such a large investment.

Actually, after further research, I'm willing to retract my earlier statements.  All sources I've found seem to indicate that DE operates on around four million dollars yearly, which is far too little for such a risky investment.

31 minutes ago, SheikaVoid said:

Actually, after further research, I'm willing to retract my earlier statements.  All sources I've found seem to indicate that DE operates on around four million dollars yearly, which is far too little for such a risky investment.

I do not know if you are trying to be sarcastic or not, but given that DE is a Canadian company with 300+ on their payroll, four million dollars of revenue is not a lot at all.  Unless you are confounding OPEX with revenue?  If your numbers are correct and that $4M is indeed revenue, then I am starting to worry about their financial health.

8 minutes ago, MqToasty said:

I do not know if you are trying to be sarcastic or not, but given that DE is a Canadian company with 300+ on their payroll, four million dollars of revenue is not a lot at all.  Unless you are confounding OPEX with revenue?  If your numbers are correct and that $4M is indeed revenue, then I am starting to worry about their financial health.

I didn't think the real numbers on their actual net profit or other such numbers would even be public? At least not in a form most of us would understand... 

Regardless, I wouldn't be that worried. Obviously they were only one of the studios involved, but Digital Extremes was a big part of Leyou Technologies video game companies portfolio, and I doubt Tencent would have spent 1.5 Billion to buy out their games portfolio when one of the more important properties involved in the deal was struggling to make any kind of decent money. 

45 minutes ago, SheikaVoid said:

4m? Where did you get that

I've found this thread while searching out of curiosity, don't know how TF this person got this and if it's even legitimate but it's the only less shady info I've found

vor 30 Minuten schrieb (XBOX)C11H22O11:

4m? Where did you get that

I've found this thread while searching out of curiosity, don't know how TF this person got this and if it's even legitimate but it's the only less shady info I've found

Looks legit. Leyou is a publicly traded company, they release annual financial reports. These are from the 2020 report. 
Technically they don’t list revenue by subsidiary, but they list revenue aggregated by geographical region where their subsidiaries are based, and I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to assume that DE is all they have going on in Canada.

Just now, MqToasty said:

Being sarcastic.

I know this thread was mostly around server as a solution, but I'd really like a normal program solution to resolve losing affinity or,  most often for me, syndicate rep on ESO host migrations. I typically just leave with host now and only jump in the portal after they do. 

I would settle for some temporary backups that update every few minutes at least. It'd be much less disappointing to lose 20% gained instead of everything.

Archived