Post-DevStream Command Rank 10 Feedback: What about my existing crew?

PublikDomain

Posted (edited)

Command Rank 10 will allow you to hire "elite" crew, which have better max stats and can have an extra passive trait depending on their skills. Traits include things like extra gunnery damage for certain manufacturers, extra survivability or healing, etc.

We knew about this from leaks last week, so no real surprises. But my question now is the same as my question then:

What about my existing crew?

Do I have to fire my entire crew because the new members are statistically better in every way? Do I need to sack Roo Duu and Zoo Duu because they weren't graced with good stats? Do I need to fire Thadd and his gym buddy, and Laughin? Why? Why do I need to choose between having crew that I like and having crew that have meta stats?

With any other piece of content in the game you can level it up and make it better by investing in it. You can level up weapons and Railjack parts and companions, you can level up your Operator, you can install potatoes and Forma, you can use Helminth to tweak your frames. So why can't I level up my crew? Why do the crew that I like and have chosen to hire need to be eternally doomed to having sucky stats? Why do crew have to be good or bad with no room for improvement? You'd think after braving so many space battles with a Tenno of all things they'd be able to learn a thing or two. Gameplay-wise you'd think having a longer-term system to become invested in would be good for driving interest and player retention. Instead the system is static and boring and unfriendly.

There are two ways I see for this to be addressed, one hard and one easy:

1. Hard: Uncap Intrinsics and allow the spending of unused Intrinsics to purchase new Competency points for crew. Each extra Competency point costs an escalating amount of Intrinsics, ie 1/2/4/8/16/etc. Once a Crew hits 15 total Competency (12+3) it is considered Elite no matter how it started, and gets a passive that can be rerolled by spending materials. This could be accompanied by a restructuring of the Command ranks to make the tree more interesting:
    1. Unlocks the ability to hire Basic Crew from Ticker (8 base Competency - hired for credits)
      All 3 Crew Slots are unlocked by default
    2. +1 Competency Point
      Competency Respecs are unlocked by default
    3. Unlocks the ability to hire Advanced Crew from Ticker (10 base Competency - hired for materials)
    4. +1 Competency Point
    5. Unlocks On Call
    6. +1 Competency Point
    7. Unlocks the ability to train crew up to 14 total Competency
      +3 new points for Basic Crew (8 + 3 + 3)
      +1 new point for Advanced Crews (10 + 3 + 1)
    8. Unlocks the the ability to hire Elite Crew from Ticker (12 base Competency and a passive trait - hired for ???), and the ability to crew Liches and Sisters
      Liches and Sisters are counted as Elite and given the same Competency Points and passive trait
      Liches and Sisters serve as a tankier but less customizable alternative to other types of Crew
    9. On Call cooldown is reduced
    10. Unlocks the ability to train crew to 15 total Competency and above
      Basic and Advanced Crew at 14 points can now reach 15 points and become Elite, gaining a trait
      Unlocks the ability to reroll traits for Elite Crew, either by talking to the Crew personally or by talking to Ticker
      Elite crew at 15 points can continue to rank up all the way to max stats, which will become very expensive and give players something to work on for a long time. Hiring better crew makes reaching max stats cheaper since there are fewer extra levels to have to pay for, but even a basic crew can eventually max out.
  2. Easy: Leave the Command tree as uninteresting as it is, and allow for a type of Crew Valence Fusion. When visiting Ticker, you can hire an NPC to train an existing Crew member instead of joining your crew. This lets you rank up your Crew up to Elite levels, but no further. Traits can be fused as well, just like existing passives for MKIII parts. This helps alleviate some of the issues with Crew, but doesn't give them long-term gameplay value.

Either way, I hope this gets addressed because I loathe the thought of having to fire all of the crew I've hired to make room for some uber-Crew just because they have better numbers.

Edited by PublikDomain
Typos and Formatting
  • Like 17

6 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Hard: Uncap Intrinsics and allow the spending of unused Intrinsics to purchase new Competency points for crew. Each extra Competency point costs an escalating amount of Intrinsics, ie 1/2/4/8/16/etc. Once a Crew hits 15 total Competency (12+3) it is considered Elite no matter how it started, and gets a passive that can be rerolled by spending materials

This pls!

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Surely the developers and other staff members have crewmembers they already like.

It is utterly baffling that Rank 10 Command would suggest players abandon the crew they've built and progressed with, instead of training up the existing crew to be even better.

Edit: I really like the idea of using 'Elite Trainers' as a form of Valence Fusion rather than replacing crew entirely.

Edited by CyberneticSusurrus
addendum
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, CyberneticSusurrus said:

Surely the developers and other staff members have crewmembers they already like.

It is utterly baffling that Rank 10 Command would suggest players abandon the crew they've built and progressed with, instead of training up the existing crew to be even better.

Edit: I really like the idea of using 'Elite Trainers' as a form of Valence Fusion rather than replacing crew entirely.

Well, it's what we're getting anyways!

😐

Yeah, I found this thread searching for anywhere I could actually give feedback on the upcoming Update.

Unfortunately, given the timeline, the Update is going live on all platforms in less than a week.
Meaning they're extremely unlikely to change anything pre-release, and would have to find a way to 'undo/rework' the existing system if they wanted to change it significantly.

So disappointing.

• Like 1

Just now, CyberneticSusurrus said:

Yeah, I found this thread searching for anywhere I could actually give feedback on the upcoming Update.

Unfortunately, given the timeline, the Update is going live on all platforms in less than a week.
Meaning they're extremely unlikely to change anything pre-release, and would have to find a way to 'undo/rework' the existing system if they wanted to change it significantly.

So disappointing.

I'm hoping once it's live and DE gets handed the Big Pile Of Incredibly Obvious Negative Feedback™ that at least some sort of acknowledgement is made. But this is DE, when they've decided on an idea they pretty much always double-down. My hopes for sensible decisions with Railjack were already slim given how they ignored concerns over Flux Energy and Railjack hosting. Very, very disappointing. And very, very obvious how this will turn out.

• Like 3

So yeah, if I've got this right I'm supposed to fire this crew:

eFCy1P6.png

That I already like and have customized and have hired over the months...

For this Crew:

75Dg7pz.png

I really don't want to have to fire my entire crew because Ticker's uncovered a new cache of roided-up Olympiads that are better in every way.

• Like 3