Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I am confused about Yareli and the overall art & story direction of the game [Spoilers for Second Dream and Sevagoth questline]

Nadameru

27 minutes ago, Bakaguya-sama said:

Jokes aside, I thought we were long past the point of taking Warframe seriously. It's hard to pretend that that we are still space ninjas when we're busy mowing down enemies by the tons, clearing rooms every second with 1 or 2 button press. 

Pretty much this.

My personal problem with the game's tone isn't the mix-up of grimdark and jovial tones. It's the lack of organization between them. We have "serious" encounters with the wannabe-Orokin Corpus enemies and the slime moldy brick-brained Grineer that fall to the wayside like paper bags, and similar encounters with the hyper-evolved magitech annihilating Sentient who we can struggle to take out just one-on-one. One of these things is not like the other, and the writing direction should lean into that. Otherwise, it's just asking to be taken seriously when it's just the opposite, and that cheapens the "take me seriously please" when it's genuinely a touch more serious. Like "Sentients developing anti-Warframe technology" kind of big deals.

(Tonal shifts are just good juxtapositional tools, too. Check Parvos Granum verbally annihilating his absurdly characterized charlatan son, then revealing the master plot that it was one big manipulation on us. Switch Nef Anyo for, say, Frohd Bek, and I feel you'd have a good bit less impact on that reveal into Granum's mind.)

On 2021-05-31 at 8:14 PM, Nadameru said:

Warframe (the game) has pitted us against waves of transhuman factions in dark corridors, deserted landscapes and sterile space environments. When the sounds of ballistic weaponry and laser bolts weren't punctuating the air, there was always an eerie electronic tune humming in the oppressive silence, to remind you of how alien this world has become (props to the sound design for this). It was mysterious and depressive. A lone weapon in the dark invoking otherworldly powers, holding reality in its perilous grip.

I was in the middle of typing out a whole big thing about this but I sort of lost steam, so I'll just point out that the new Corpus Ship tileset is much more brightly lit than the old one. Take from that what you will.

the focus on family drama in what's supposed to be the heart of a devastating ultravirus (Heart of Deimos)

Are you saying that a group of people fighting for survival can't also have family drama? Cetus and Fortuna are full of the whole "survive against an oppressive force" theme, so why can't the Entrati display a different dynamic to the player? We know they're constantly fighting against the Infestation in their very flesh; they all mention it in their standard dialogue (except for Son, who is largely indifferent). But they choose to talk about their family issues instead, and the Heart of Deimos quest shows that their ability to work together as a family is highly correlated to their level of success against the Infested – a theme that is reinforced as you rank up with them.

Appeal to human emotions and personal experiences are good and helpful in humanising environments, but when the actual story elements and art design take a backseat in favour of these qualities […]

How have the story or art design taken a backseat to the character-driven approach of the Entrati? The Infestation is shown to be taking over their entire residence (and bodies). The story makes it clear that the threat of the Infestation is existential to them. There are even ties to the main Warframe story if you listen to Albrecht's audio logs in the basement. I think the story was greatly enhanced by the Deimos content.

All suspense related to the void and Sevagoth was promptly shattered by a sequence involving me pressing 2 and 4 to a person singing about their personal tragedy for 2min30s. Sevagoth gets unceremoniously jettisoned into space a minute after, and I'm no longer compelled by the narrative or any detail it had to offer after its conclusion.

To me, it seems apparent that Call of the Tempestarii suffered greatly from DE's COVID lockdown status. The song part really was shoehorned in (I actually really enjoyed it, but I completely understand the point that you are making here). As for the ending of the quest… I got nothing.

It comes off as disingenuous at times

Can you elaborate on this a little? I'm trying to understand how a shift in storytelling techniques and art design can possibly be "disingenuous".

As far as Yareli goes, I agree that it's hard to square what we've seen of her with Warframe's aesthetic (even as it has shifted in the present day). But honestly, I don't need to square it. I plan on just ignoring the disconnect if it arises, and appreciate both her cuteness and Warframe's aesthetic completely separately. It's both not that important to me and not a problem that I can really affect or change in any way.

17 hours ago, Nadameru said:

Parvos' arc looks promising too, I sincerely hope it doesn't devolve into another self indulgent family drama.

I doubt that will happen. I think they've done a good job of setting up Parvos for now. If he continues to feud with Nef Anyo, there are possibilities for laughs there because Nef is a really hammy character, but he's always been like that (since they revamped his character in Operation: False Profit).

15 hours ago, RazerXPrime said:

Issue is that it clashes with Warframe lore. They are supposed to be insane infested murderous creatures only managed to be controlled by void power. In what universe does Yareli and her hop skip prnacing around making hearts and acting insanely girly which only happens in anime fit this lore?

Warframe lore, as we've received it, is incredibly broad. It covers a period of potentially thousands of years with billions and billions of people. There are so many gaps in the lore, and so every new thing that comes out usually can fit into one of those gaps (this is also why almost every instance of someone saying "Retcon!" is incorrect).

Here's the thing: at no point has Ballas said "Every warframe is an insane Infested murderous creature only managed to be controlled by Void power. There isn't a single warframe that is out there, doing stuff on its own." And if he had said that, we would know he's lying, because we already know of one – Harrow.

We don't know Yareli's story yet. It's possible there's an explanation for her that would slot her nicely within the existing canon. For example: An Operator 'woke up', was horrified by the atrocities of war and the cruelty of the empire, and ran away with their warframe to leave it all behind, and made their warframe as 'cute' as possible in an explicit rejection of the viciousness of the world they had left behind. Voilà, no lore conflicts. Is it a satisfying story? That's up to individual preference. But it doesn't "clash" with our existing lore.

15 hours ago, Nadameru said:

I'm writing specifically about how the game's recent aesthetics are detracting from the atmosphere, the aesthetic and theme that the game has been built up from for so many years. You're right in saying that I can just ignore them when other players use horribly coloured joke warframe schemes, I have one myself, but it's a cause for concern when the game (I feel) which had a very unique design is slowly homogenising with mainstream media.

Remember how warframes very cleverly played on the faceless ninja theme in a futuristic environment. Strange tools, strange armour pieces. When warframe had eyes (ivara) they only had one, and it's in a sensible manner (it's a sharpshooter frame, intuitively the eye makes sense).  Even designed elements like limbo's british outfit was made to look like it melted onto his body, rather than an actual tophat+suit (unlike its prime variant). It's in contrast with this that Warframes like Yareli are a bit on the nose.

You're more than welcome to play the surfer warframe if it suits you. Personally I think I will try her kit too. But I would like to remind us that there's a limit to the boundaries you can push before something becomes gauche in a composite art medium as extensive as Warframe.

I really tend to agree with you much more than not, but let me just focus on the last line that I bolded here. I think that Warframe is now a really big game. There are so many different game modes, 40+ warframes (I literally can't remember), so many very distinct and interesting tilesets. You can spend your whole day cracking relics (there was a time when farming prime parts was basically the entire game), and then the next day you can play Railjack and it feels like a completely different game. Or maybe do endless missions or free roam some bounties, and it'll still be a different experience. The Steel Path (which is just a couple of modifiers) so completely changes the normal gameplay flow that DE are now putting serious effort into bringing guns up to the same level as melee. With a game that has such diversity inside it, I think the boundaries of game design (including art design) are less important than the core of it. When Yareli comes out, she will be dancing on the loading screens, and probably a lot of the promotion at that time will feature her and her cuteness. That'll be something we're forced to look at for a few months. Then a new update will come, and I am 99% certain that the pendulum will swing back in the other direction (or at least, an other direction).

Maybe Yareli slightly chips away at Warframe's grimdark aesthetic. But, in my opinion, that doesn't really matter in the long term of things. And the aesthetic is not as monolithic as you might think it is.

16 hours ago, RazerXPrime said:

Issue is that it clashes with Warframe lore. They are supposed to be insane infested murderous creatures only managed to be controlled by void power. In what universe does Yareli and her hop skip prnacing around making hearts and acting insanely girly which only happens in anime fit this lore?

You act like Deadpool, literally Batman's entire rogues gallery (specifically the CLOWNS), and countless other such characters don't exist. You don't have to be foaming at the mouth and roaring like an animal to be insane. Even within Warframe, Mirage and Nezha are playful and lighthearted. In her Prime Trailer, Ballas even says outright that Mirage laughed while being experimented on.
And I don't hear you complaining about the Suitcase Weapons the same way you're whining about Yareli.

16 hours ago, RazerXPrime said:

Perhaps if the frame was created by a perverted Orokin scientist who wanted a waifu girly frame to do with as he pleased. That would be the only thing that would make kind of sense.

We already got that with Protea. They don't need to retread old ground.

14 hours ago, RazerXPrime said:

Next frame will be a Naruto frame with the rediculous Naruto running animation. 

You're saying this while Ash exists.

I'm gonna say this now, and hopefully I won't have to say it again: Warframe is just as much an MMO as it is Dark Sector v2. And in an MMO, people want to express themselves any way they want.
Don't like Yareli's default idles? Just use Plat to unlock any of the other hundred and use one of those instead. You even have Umbra's unlocked by default when you unlock him, if you want her to howl like a raving lunatic.
Don't like her current design? Give the TennoGen folks a few weeks to work on it, and one of those may very well suit your fancy.
Don't enjoy the concept in general? Then grind her for Mastery and feed her to Helminth. That's literally what the new Helminth system is for. Or, just don't get her at all.

You can say that you don't like her. That's perfectly fine. But don't try to blanket the rest of us in with your specific preferences. So what if Yareli is an anime trope? With the Genshin Impact crowd growing rapidly, it may even draw some people into the game! More exposure is better than staying underground! And since Warframe is 100% Free-to-Play, those who don't like the actual game can just leave at no cost to themselves!

So while you may dislike her, I for one welcome Hydroid's daughter with open arms! She's an interesting combat concept, she has neat abilities, she brings variety to the game, and we'll even be getting some Ventkids lore as a bonus!

I don’t like her personally but that’s fine because it wasn’t designed for me. She looks fun and seems to have potential but     I’ll only be levelling and helminthing her as she is of no interest to me. And that’s ok. 

It’s ok that not every Warframe is aesthetically, thematically or mechanically to my liking. 

I don’t like Saryn, Octavia, Mesa or Wisp either. And those the most busted and popular frames in the game. 

I don’t subscribe to this thinking that ever frame should be ‘Excalibur but he’s lighningy’ or ‘Excalibur but she’s Magnety’ or ‘Excalibur but she’s toxic’ or ‘Excalibur but icy’ or my personal favourite ‘it’s still Excalibur but he has….. a scarf’

hace 19 horas, Nadameru dijo:

I've not heard about this Gara interaction. What is this?

Her second ability used to shatter her glass armor so the pieces orbitate around her. They removed this and made the glass non breakable because people wanted to fashion frame.

3 hours ago, GrayArchon said:

Warframe lore, as we've received it, is incredibly broad. It covers a period of potentially thousands of years with billions and billions of people. There are so many gaps in the lore, and so every new thing that comes out usually can fit into one of those gaps (this is also why almost every instance of someone saying "Retcon!" is incorrect).

Here's the thing: at no point has Ballas said "Every warframe is an insane Infested murderous creature only managed to be controlled by Void power. There isn't a single warframe that is out there, doing stuff on its own." And if he had said that, we would know he's lying, because we already know of one – Harrow.

We don't know Yareli's story yet. It's possible there's an explanation for her that would slot her nicely within the existing canon. For example: An Operator 'woke up', was horrified by the atrocities of war and the cruelty of the empire, and ran away with their warframe to leave it all behind, and made their warframe as 'cute' as possible in an explicit rejection of the viciousness of the world they had left behind. Voilà, no lore conflicts. Is it a satisfying story? That's up to individual preference. But it doesn't "clash" with our existing lore.

While what you're saying is true it's also true that Warframes are infested people turned into war machines. This is already fact. The only thing I can think of is that Yareli isn't one of those and was made for different reasons. It's not about what Warframes were used for during an entire period, but what they were designed for. All I can think of is that she was designed as an assassin to take care of pedophiles.

Still what bothers me is not that she is giddy or happy go lucky. What bothers me is the girly anime tropes being introduced into a game that is supposed to be lightyears away from that. It's a fair complaint and it's also a fair concern regarding the art direction. There's plenty of anime games out there with this content. Not every game has to contain the same things. It's good to be unique and have your own identity. I didn't choose to play Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls because it had anime styled girls. I choose it specifically because of the dark fantasy elements. Imagine introducing anime specific content to these types of games and the backlash it would create. Because simply it undermines everything those games are supposed to be. Art style is very important as it is the essence of the game. You change that direction then you change the soul of the game.

2 hours ago, Gamer_Auto said:

Warframe is just as much an MMO as it is Dark Sector v2

I wasn't going to reply to the nonsense you posted, but this part was so funny that I just had to highlight it. It also gives me even more reason to ignore basically everything else you have to say on anything Warframe related.

6 hours ago, Bakaguya-sama said:

1) What's next? A little girl Warframe? 

Because I would absolutely love to get Warframe Klee. She won't even be out of place in Warframe considering that amount of AoE destruction she can dish out.  

2) Jokes aside, I thought we were long past the point of taking Warframe seriously. It's hard to pretend that that we are still space ninjas when we're busy mowing down enemies by the tons, clearing rooms every second with 1 or 2 button press.  

1) Nova (prime?) is little girl. At least short one.

2) When we entered Mech and Railjack it stopped to be being ninja. Till them we were "ninjas". Overpowered? Maybe, but still you take it personally. With Mechs/RJ something very different.

1 hour ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

girly anime tropes are nothing new to warframe

we already had Nezha with that adorable Chun-Li twintails cosplay.

As far fetched arguments go you're on a completely separate level. Need to know what you smoke. Gotta be good. :)

vor 22 Minuten schrieb RazerXPrime:

As far fetched arguments go you're on a completely separate level. Need to know what you smoke. Gotta be good. :)

Dude, there are at least 5 different Anime festish skins aviable for Nova. 

I'm waiting for the schoolgirl Nova + Whip skin to be announced for at least a year now. 

9 minutes ago, bubbabenali said:

Dude, there are at least 5 different Anime festish skins aviable for Nova. 

I'm waiting for the schoolgirl Nova + Whip skin to be announced for at least a year now. 

You're right we should just do away with the original lore and make it all big eyes anime stuff.

I would propose that all running animations are altered to girly anime running and jumping to girly anime jumping. I want my jumps to be jumping up with hands close to the chest and two legs sprawlying left and right of my body.

DE, please have a look at this type of content and put it in Warframe. 

22 hours ago, RazerXPrime said:

I'll help out. It does not fit. At all.

Not every frame has to be the same. Some can be cuter than others. We have Titania and Wisp that fit thematically with what they represent and still within warframe lore.

Yareli does not fit into that category at all. It's plain and simple. There's a lot of anime fans out there. We'll create an anime frame and people will flock to our game.

You don't care about lore. This is fine. Others do. And this frame challenges the foundation of what Warframe is supposed to be. It's only natural for people to be upset.

It's natural for some people to be entitled and confused and misconstrue what they feel a game should be as well. Kinda like the guy on the devstream that asked steve when he's getting back to the "core" of warframe, because he felt railjack was challenging the games foundation.....and he was promptly told he had a mixed message and was incorrect about what he felt.

Warframes foundation is just fine. 

7 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

It's natural for some people to be entitled and confused and misconstrue what they feel a game should be as well. Kinda like the guy on the devstream that asked steve when he's getting back to the "core" of warframe, because he felt railjack was challenging the games foundation.....and he was promptly told he had a mixed message and was incorrect about what he felt.

Warframes foundation is just fine. 

I don't know. I wouldn't say an expansion of game content is affecting the lore of the game. However, a character that simply feels like she hopped over from a completely different genre, well that's reason for debate is it not?

Imagine the necramech wasn't what it was right now. I think they are actually debatable in terms of if they beloing in the game or not.

But the thing is, they don't look like this:

02.png

The concern is not about implementing features or ideas from other genres or content. The concern is about art style.

But given the (fairly disappointing) new skin for Zephyr, perhaps this is where warframe is ultimately going.

8 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

I don't know. I wouldn't say an expansion of game content is affecting the lore of the game. However, a character that simply feels like she hopped over from a completely different genre, well that's reason for debate is it not?

Imagine the necramech wasn't what it was right now. I think they are actually debatable in terms of if they beloing in the game or not.

But the thing is, they don't look like this:

02.png

The concern is not about implementing features or ideas from other genres or content. The concern is about art style.

But given the (fairly disappointing) new skin for Zephyr, perhaps this is where warframe is ultimately going.

To be clear, I totally understand the premise, I'm just saying it's kinda not up to us. Some things are just subject to the passages of time and space. Everything progresses and moves forward. 

When I was younger, a man wearing pink was just something you never do, but now no one cares as much. People said the same thing: "what happened to men?" And all that other stuff implying the sky will fall if men change the slightest bit, but if a private business or individual wants to do something, thats their right. 

I don't know, I'm just a progressive thinker and never see these things as issues. 

3 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

To be clear, I totally understand the premise, I'm just saying it's kinda not up to us. Some things are just subject to the passages of time and space. Everything progresses and moves forward. 

When I was younger, a man wearing pink was just something you never do, but now no one cares as much. People said the same thing: "what happened to men?" And all that other stuff implying the sky will fall if men change the slightest bit, but if a private business or individual wants to do something, thats their right. 

I don't know, I'm just a progressive thinker and never see these things as issues. 

I get it, but look at it like this. Let's say you buy a red car with a sport body kit. And then when you take it to the dealer for repairs, they remove the body kit and paint it yellow because that's the trend now. I mean. That's how people feel about certain changes. Don't think this has a relation to progressive thinking. Progressive and change are not the same thing. But I'm sure those two things are very confusing to most people.

Let me put this in perspective with something crazy. Imagine your country is invaded, men killed, women raped. you have to change your language, your religion and the way you dress. Well that's change isn't it? Of course in 200 years it's unlikely the generation then will care much, but when you're part of that change will you stand idly by? Or will you say, well this is progress and I'm open minded about what is to come?

15 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

I get it, but look at it like this. Let's say you buy a red car with a sport body kit. And then when you take it to the dealer for repairs, they remove the body kit and paint it yellow because that's the trend now. I mean. That's how people feel about certain changes. Don't think this has a relation to progressive thinking. Progressive and change are not the same thing. But I'm sure those two things are very confusing to most people.

Let me put this in perspective with something crazy. Imagine your country is invaded, men killed, women raped. you have to change your language, your religion and the way you dress. Well that's change isn't it? Of course in 200 years it's unlikely the generation then will care much, but when you're part of that change will you stand idly by? Or will you say, well this is progress and I'm open minded about what is to come?

Well those examples physically affect people in a more substantial way lol....but I understand yes. 

I left a game after 7 years, but I wasn't converted by another religion or living in a war torn country. I was completely fine.

40 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Well those examples physically affect people in a more substantial way lol....but I understand yes. 

I left a game after 7 years, but I wasn't converted by another religion or living in a war torn country. I was completely fine.

Actually that's a good example you made. Because your 7 years absense also removed any connection you had with the game. It's easier if the change doesn't impact you.

1 hour ago, RazerXPrime said:

but when you're part of that change will you stand idly by?

I think that's a bit...extreme. I get what you're saying but I don't think Yareli in warframe as bad as racial cleansing, I'm hesitant to approach this topic with these kinds of thinking

2 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Isn't this gatekeeping?

I was worried about that, whether I might be unintentionally gatekeeping people who like the carefree/boppy character archetype in videogames. But ultimately I'm more concerned about my 'perceived' shift in more pandered genres coming to life in warframe (I'll address this bit later), ie what the developers are making, and not whether the playerbase uses them or not. End of the day I think people who like aggressively cute and feminine anime tropes are welcome to enjoy warframe with the rest of us, because really Warframe does have very heavy Japanese influences built into it from ground up.

8 hours ago, GrayArchon said:

How have the story or art design taken a backseat to the character-driven approach of the Entrati? The Infestation is shown to be taking over their entire residence (and bodies). The story makes it clear that the threat of the Infestation is existential to them. There are even ties to the main Warframe story if you listen to Albrecht's audio logs in the basement. I think the story was greatly enhanced by the Deimos content.

You're right. I was wrong to misjudge HoD because there is a fascinating story hidden underneath the entrati family's. Not to mention the art of the area, from its environment to its weaponry, are very, very well done.

Part of me might had biased myself against the Entrati family because I could feel how hard the writers we trying to make them relatable. It was a bit off putting at times. I thought an actual group of survivors in constant agony would've been more appropriate, considered how thoroughly the infestation can subsume other factions into their hivemind, yet characters like grandmother seem to be barely affected by it. But maybe that would've made the story too grim and unenjoyable.

But yes, I gave an unfair appraisal of Heart of Deimos, and you are correct to point it out.

Can you elaborate on this a little? I'm trying to understand how a shift in storytelling techniques and art design can possibly be "disingenuous".

I think my rundown on the sevagoth questline covers this bit. To reiterate, intense build up towards a mysterious element or character, but in a bid to make the story 'relatable', there is a sudden shift in focus on someone's personal drama that gets resolved in a cliche manner, the mysterious element is flimsily dealt with. After you see this happen multiple times ( Kuva queens in TWW, Ballas in Apostasy prologue etc) you start to suspect the writers are just doing it for cheap thrills, they are actually unsure of how to satisfactory conclude the story they've built up, yet they try to pander to the audience with cheap relatable story anyway. It's harsh criticism but I'm a bit sore from being let down by the wasted potential, really.

With a game that has such diversity inside it, I think the boundaries of game design (including art design) are less important than the core of it. When Yareli comes out, she will be dancing on the loading screens, and probably a lot of the promotion at that time will feature her and her cuteness. That'll be something we're forced to look at for a few months. Then a new update will come, and I am 99% certain that the pendulum will swing back in the other direction (or at least, an other direction).

Maybe Yareli slightly chips away at Warframe's grimdark aesthetic. But, in my opinion, that doesn't really matter in the long term of things. And the aesthetic is not as monolithic as you might think it is.

I hope you're right, and that my call for caution is self-perceived and unjustified. I do think however that creative diversity is not a free pass for a 'do whatever I want' in any art medium. This is a fallacy that can lead to its uniqueness and core identity being compromised. Star wars is an example of this, where the 'do whatever' has resulted in several cullings in both art and media to reign in the story's canon, just to ensure that its internal logic is able to exist. Yes, I believe art in longstanding mediums have an internal logic, it must be internally consistent with its thematic approach. Warframe hasn't festered as badly as Star Wars yet, but it's still something to note.

Just like how creating content in any game runs the risk of introducing 'powercreep' that, if left unchecked, ruins the game's balance, art in warframe should be periodically evaluated for 'visualcreep' to ensure it doesn't go out of hand.

2 minutes ago, Nadameru said:

I think that's a bit...extreme. I get what you're saying but I don't think Yareli in warframe as bad as racial cleansing, I'm hesitant to approach this topic with these kinds of thinking

It was an example for a meta discussion on impact of change. Obviously they are not the same thing in terms of impact, but sometimes an extreme example can create understanding. People are wondering why people dislike the inclusion of anime art style in the game. A lot of the counter arguments are not relevant to the change made since they are not affecting art style. The source is how warframe is perceived. Compare Skyrim with Hyperdimension Neptunia and explain how it would be good to cross the boundary of art style and direction? Does everything need to be grey and the same or can we have some identifiable color?

5 minutes ago, Perfectly_Framed_Waifu said:

ITT: People hating on a cute girl in a game with pixies and butterfly wings.

Again irrelevant comparison. Titania does not hop skip like an anime trope girl. They are completely different art styles.

But I guess to you these two are exactly the same and can be combined in the same content:

cff9f21a6c47ecb87ace621b7af88fdc.jpg

And

1478835353-305d486a1d2c7527b8f778ef176c2

11 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

Again irrelevant comparison. Titania does not hop skip like an anime trope girl. They are completely different art styles.

Irrelevant counter-point. Yareli does not fly around sprinkling fairy dust and making people float like a Disney trope. They are completely different art styles.

13 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

But I guess to you these two are exactly the same and can be combined in the same content:

c0ce47637de71ccca1b0af3a0836c8d2.jpg

And

pan2.jpg

(Feel free to hit me up with more basic teen gamer arguments. They're hilarious.)

Archived