Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Don't remove splinter storm stored damage when splinter storm runs out

(XBOX)AAR24814

The only downside to keep splinter storm up always is to keep spamming mass vitrify which makes gara really clunky as you constantly have to keep a check at the splinter storm duration and keep casting mass vitrify to keep the damage up! At least give an augment where the stored damage of splinter storm will not disappear when enemies are getting hit/killed by splinter storm similar to eternal war augment for valkyr's warcry. 

Please DE consider this suggestion.

Just now, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Have you tried adding duration? 

yes. I have duration of 208% but still if I am playing in void, I have to keep track of those nullifiers and kill them plus keep my splinter storm up (in Steel Path especially). It would be good if there was an augment where the splinter storm duration refreshed when killing an enemy with splinter storm.

1 minute ago, .Fire_Fly. said:

it is tedious i agree but that wont fix it at all, i think we should be able to just reapply splinter storm to ourself before timer runs out like mirage does hers. its less messy that way

yes, that is also good viable option! Recasting is great too!

16 minutes ago, PsiWarp said:

Maybe like Saryn's Spores, the UI meter on the right subtracts damage per second until zero. You can recast Splinter Storm to pause the damage decay and add damage with Mass Vitrify shattering.

subtracting damage sounds horrible its nothing like spores you have to work diligently to one keep it up and two increase its damage plus the insane mount of energy and timing it takes to apply those numbers. its a lot of work with spores its cast one and run nothing alike nothing at all

This is one of, if not THE, most damaging ability in the game... I'm pretty sure having to cast 4/1 every 30 seconds or so is MORE than a reasonnable drawback for something that gives both high DR and potentially infinite damage.

Or you know, make spores never lose buildup, make her 2's augment heal tenfold and forever, make her ult do hundred times more damage in a ten times bigger radius, why not right ?

1 hour ago, Fallen77 said:

This is one of, if not THE, most damaging ability in the game... I'm pretty sure having to cast 4/1 every 30 seconds or so is MORE than a reasonnable drawback for something that gives both high DR and potentially infinite damage.

Or you know, make spores never lose buildup, make her 2's augment heal tenfold and forever, make her ult do hundred times more damage in a ten times bigger radius, why not right ?

this isnt a saryn rework we are only talking about gara. plus as it may do alot of damage garas isnt some big AOE spam either.

Il y a 2 heures, .Fire_Fly. a dit :

this isnt a saryn rework we are only talking about gara. plus as it may do alot of damage garas isnt some big AOE spam either.

Orly ? Thanks for stating the obvious, I did not realise that gara and saryn are not the same frame.

Now if you'd like to read a tiny bit between the lines, I'm sure you can realise what I meant. You know... applying the same situation to another very strong frame to drive the point home

2 hours ago, ebrl said:

Looks like we're reaching new lows in reading comprehension.

edit: I mean you btw

7 minutes ago, Fallen77 said:

Orly ? Thanks for stating the obvious, I did not realise that gara and saryn are not the same frame.

Now if you'd like to read a tiny bit between the lines, I'm sure you can realise what I meant. You know... applying the same situation to another very strong frame to drive the point home

Keep this up and we will derail this entire subject so let’s stop and go back to the discussion about gara

4 hours ago, Fallen77 said:

To be fair though Octavia has a huge AoE scaling ability that stacks on it's own. It doesn't have infinite duration, but the damage scaling is practically infinite without any effort.

Obviously it doesn't give DR, but it does have insane range plus it draws enemy fire so you're pretty safe even when not invisible. It also deals with Nulifiers.

I think the splinter storm ability could use some tweaking. Increasing the base duration would be a good QoL update. Possibly making it easier to stack the damage would be good too and not having to waste 4 + 1 to refresh. I would rather have it scale off damage absorbed so you can use Gara's abilities at your leisure. This can be fine tuned so it has a similar effect to what you have now of course. Right now building up a million damage to have it dispelled by a nullifier or by running out of energy or missing a timer... well that does not increase my enjoyment.

5 hours ago, .Fire_Fly. said:

i think just giving it a recast with a little more energy would be fine 

Just in case you didn't know, for a little more energy, casting Mass Vitrify refreshes Splinter Storm already.  Lashing it just causes the explosion and Splinter Storm damage accumulation.

Could be wrong, but I doubt Splinter Storm is ever going to be  directly refreshable.   Not just because of the damage accumulation, but also because of the DR.  DE likes giving moments of danger between casts of these abilities.  Gara is an interesting case already because she does have a way to refresh--but it comes at the cost of placing a new 4.

16 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

Just in case you didn't know, for a little more energy, casting Mass Vitrify refreshes Splinter Storm already.  Lashing it just causes the explosion and Splinter Storm damage accumulation.

Could be wrong, but I doubt Splinter Storm is ever going to be  directly refreshable.   Not just because of the damage accumulation, but also because of the DR.  DE likes giving moments of danger between casts of these abilities.  Gara is an interesting case already because she does have a way to refresh--but it comes at the cost of placing a new 4.

I think he knows. It's a really clunky interaction that wastes two abilities of their use to stack a third one. I don't like this interaction at all. It'd be better to at minimum remove the requirement of the 4th ability. Recasting splinter storm to refresh. That's possibly too strong in DE's eyes. Perhaps have it refresh with only the use of the 1st ability in some fashion. That would be acceptable. Or do without having it refresh and use a different stacking method. Lose your built up damage, but also make it easier to stack or something similar. It would make the game play more smooth. Right now it feels really clunky and it takes a long time to build up damage that is easily lost.

Of course it needs balance. We could also compare with Nezha. Warding Halo provides two times invulnerability, 90% damage reduction between casts, immunity to CC, status procs and energy drain from disruptor attacks. It also deals slash damage in a small AoE and stuns enemies who come close. Which is actually detrimental to building the shield if you ask me.

It's a really potent ability. It doesn't scale damage infinitely so that's not a reliable source of damage at high levels.

Possibly the single issue with Splinter Storm is that it does too many things. It provides 90% DR without drawbacks and it provides a scaling AoE damage. This means that with a large enough stack you can run around and you don't even have to do anything. It may sound enticing, but that kind of playstyle is kind of unhealthy because it promotes passive playstyle which DE doesn't like. So they've added a required interaction that makes it so you have to work for it. In terms of effort and reward it seems a good tradeoff. But I really don't like the interaction and how it makes you waste your abilities. Feels like the synergy is just there to balance the power. 

Reworking Gara may be better in this regard. I mean imagine being able to boost your 4th ability with Splinter storm and have it apply on the wall itself. The tradeoff of losing damage on the personal version would be welcome for more utility. 

12 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

Yes I already know this and that’s fine my reason to just recast her 2 would be less messy because her 4 stops her from moving it’s a messy way to recast an ability when needing to run to oxygen or any other reason why people enjoy one handed casting ability’s 

I think the overall benefits the ability brings to the table (Damage reduction before shields, forcefield , scaling damage , Damage vulnerability on enemies) which is extendable to allies as well is Very powerful. Plus it can heal with its augment.

The requirement to needing a regular upkeep ritual is fair for all of that,

If you only need to maintain the damage numbers you only need to cast 4 every few seconds , you don't need to shatter it.

So I am opposed to the suggestion of keeping the numbers up without some additional actions.

P.S. I do agree that it's clunky , but the amount of clunk for the raw effectiveness is worth it.

3 hours ago, RazerXPrime said:

Of course it needs balance. We could also compare with Nezha. Warding Halo provides two times invulnerability, 90% damage reduction between casts, immunity to CC, status procs and energy drain from disruptor attacks. It also deals slash damage in a small AoE and stuns enemies who come close. Which is actually detrimental to building the shield if you ask me.

It's a really potent ability. It doesn't scale damage infinitely so that's not a reliable source of damage at high levels.

I like Halo a lot.  But the abilities are so different I don't see the value of comparing them in this context.

17 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

I think the overall benefits the ability brings to the table (Damage reduction before shields, forcefield , scaling damage , Damage vulnerability on enemies) which is extendable to allies as well is Very powerful. Plus it can heal with its augment.

The requirement to needing a regular upkeep ritual is fair for all of that,

If you only need to maintain the damage numbers you only need to cast 4 every few seconds , you don't need to shatter it.

So I am opposed to the suggestion of keeping the numbers up without some additional actions.

P.S. I do agree that it's clunky , but the amount of clunk for the raw effectiveness is worth it.

I don't know. I disagree that clunk is worth better damage. I mean how crazy of a playstyle must we create to accept something as OP? A requirement to play upside down so we do double damage? At what point do we say a frame is just no fun to play, but I still do it because it is 10x stronger than anything else. That sounds rather harmful to the game experience if you ask me.

A frame shouldn't be clunky to use, it should be fluent and fun. And abil;ities should reflect that. Just because this is effective we accept its clunkiness. That's looking at this the wrong way imo. 

The damage has to disappear.  It's part of the ability, not a passive.  No ability, no damage.

Plus it would just be way too powerful if you could build up infinite instantaneous damage with no need to maintain it.  Even melee weapons force you to maintain your combo or you lose it.

Archived