Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yareli / Pre-release feedback + Initial thoughts

PlanckZero

It's just her idle animations. If I got upset every time I saw people doing something un-ninjalike at extraction, I dunno how I would even keep playing the game.

My only real problem with Kawaii Five-O is her fancy surfboard is gigantic, and I'm reserving judgment until I see how it handles in cluttered tilesets.

13 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

A "real-life context" argument doesn't help. I've never seen a real life female weeb doing double peace signs outside a sexual context. Either all of my friends are perverts, or the pose has been bastardized beyond recognition

How much time do you spend with teens and 20-somethings in Japan?  I'm guessing very little.  Naturally, if you're not experiencing Japanese culture, you're probably not going to be familiar with it.  To provide you with the context, the pose is a fairly common one to use when young Japanese women are having their picture taken.

So yeah, you and your friends are more aware of a dirty meme than the genuine culture the meme both piggy-backs off of and subverts.  Doesn't mean you're bad or anything, it just means that, like all of us, there are parts of reality you are less exposed to.  Hopefully this helps illuminate a bit of what was previously darkness. :)

2 minutes ago, ZokuGojira said:

It's just her idle animations. If I got upset every time I saw people doing something un-ninjalike at extraction, I dunno how I would even keep playing the game.

My only real problem with Kawaii Five-O is her fancy surfboard is gigantic, and I'm reserving judgment until I see how it handles in cluttered tilesets.

Yeah, I guess that's fair.  Saryn's got built-in high heels, and I never complained.

Just now, (PSN)Unstar said:

How much time do you spend with teens and 20-somethings in Japan?  I'm guessing very little.  Naturally, if you're not experiencing Japanese culture, you're probably not going to be familiar with it.  To provide you with the context, the pose is a fairly common one to use when young Japanese women are having their picture taken.

So yeah, you and your friends are more aware of a dirty meme than the genuine culture the meme both piggy-backs off of and subverts.  Doesn't mean you're bad or anything, it just means that, like all of us, there are parts of reality you are less exposed to.  Hopefully this helps illuminate a bit of what was previously darkness. :)

How much time do you spend there?

I've seen the single peace sign, but dual peace signs aren't all that common outside of Korea in my experience.

Me reading this thread after thinking of what weapons would jive with the Mahou Shojou theme I got in my head after the devstream.

3870n9.jpg

Also the animations on Nezha would be perfect for making my Nezha the Alstolfo theme I always dreamed of. 

Also ya I did some k-driving to up my rep (guessing yareli will be locked behind ventkids standing).  Holy cow the ragdoll when you come off that thing. 

17 minutes ago, (XBOX)Big Roy 324 said:

Also ya I did some k-driving to up my rep (guessing yareli will be locked behind ventkids standing).  Holy cow the ragdoll when you come off that thing. 

Hopefully with renewed attention to K-Drives we can ragdoll that S#&$ty feature straight into the sun.

11 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Hopefully with renewed attention to K-Drives we can ragdoll that S#&$ty feature straight into the sun.

Seems K-drive ragdoll behavior is being changed only for Yareli.

Follow-up comment from Pablo there is "The first two will apply to K-Drives in general, so you can start races from the board now for example."

1 minute ago, Jarriaga said:

Follow-up comment from Pablo there is "The first two will apply to K-Drives in general, so you can start races from the board now for example."

"Less likely to fall off it on collision and no ragdoll if you do"

While still not great, this makes her look 1000 times better.

23 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Who the hell is distributing Roman-Era 'materials' that this many people think that these poses would have the faintest symbolism in X,000 years time? Which is why I'm think it's weird Yareli does it.

I think its weird how hung up about it you are about something that is a developer ascetic choice...

1 minute ago, Kaotyke said:

I think its weird how hung up about it you are about something that is a developer ascetic choice...

Because it's a choice that conflicts with the rest of the choices made in the game, especially those in regards to the Warframes themselves. Everything else sells the fantasy of the Warframe universe's 'otherness' - so far removed from our current world that even the familiar is strange. Even other aspects of Yareli's design reflects this - her hoverboard is a fish, her skirt is a part of her body, she's got no face etc.

But she acts and behaves in a way that is like a part of our world, exclusively

1 hour ago, Jarriaga said:

God that's stupid. Being ragdolled into a wall at mach 3 and bouncing across the map because you hit a corner the wrong way isn't fun. It's not fun on K-Drives, and the equivalent stupid tumbling mechanic isn't fun in Archwing. It'll be good if it's gone for Yareli but god damn does it need to go for everyone.

58 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Who the hell is distributing Roman-Era 'materials' that this many people think that these poses would have the faintest symbolism in X,000 years time? Which is why I'm think it's weird Yareli does it.

The same people distributing cheese samples and pictures of clowns.

5 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Because it's a choice that conflicts with the rest of the choices made in the game, especially those in regards to the Warframes themselves. Everything else sells the fantasy of the Warframe universe's 'otherness' - so far removed from our current world that even the familiar is strange. Even other aspects of Yareli's design reflects this - her hoverboard is a fish, her skirt is a part of her body, she's got no face etc.

There's already a playful peace sign with Gara Yareli just does with two, doing a heart shape isn't out of the ordinary since that specific heart shape is already in the universe from star days and her legs waving from the board looks like child behavior, makes sense that she acts like this she's supposed to be younger. 

I can't see how it's impossible for someone to act like this especially when there's a little influence from other sources in the universe

2 minutes ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

There's already a playful peace sign with Gara Yareli just does with two, doing a heart shape isn't out of the ordinary since that specific heart shape is already in the universe from star days and her legs waving from the board looks like child behavior, makes sense that she acts like this she's supposed to be younger. 

I can't see how it's impossible for someone to act like this especially when there's a little influence from other sources in the universe

As they said, they were told to explicitly bake it into her animations as a whole. The animations are intended to get across that aesthetic specifically. Even when frames like Gara do signs and poses they're isolated, not a part of their theme. Gara isn't 'look how Kawaii', she's a glass warrior, she's got some Onna-Bugesha vibes, she's got that weird geometric draping opposed with the pseudo-organic appearance of other frames. It's not trying to call it to mind.

DE have also managed to get across a 'younger' frame before without needing to call to mind a specific modern-day trend. Nova and Nezha are both evidence of that. 

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

But how do you know that?  I mean, symbols and gestures see quite a bit of evolution throughout the ages, and their meanings in-universe could very well be nothing we expect them to be right now.  Take the "V-sign", for example.  It went from "screw you, Frenchies!  We still have our fingers to shoot arrows at you!" during the Battle of Agincourt to just "screw you" in commonwealth countries to "victory" to "peace" in modern times.  How do we know Yareli isn't actually saying "I'm gonna claw your friggin' eyes out (and enjoy every moment of it)..." when she's does the gesture?

On 2021-05-31 at 11:17 AM, PlanckZero said:

I mean... really? The "Queen of Mobility" is stuck with an entire ability dedicated to constantly bumping into S#&$ in the primarily tightly enclosed normal mission maps? To being unable to do something as simple as bullet jumping or even getting around minor obstacles without launching yourself into the air with the horrible k-drive jump? A mode of transportation that even in open world settings is more often cumbersome and is second only to Necramechs? A mobility centered ability you're going to at best be constantly toggling off when you actually want to be mobile and at worst will only ever use when you're in a "stationary" situation and just drifting back and forth so you can have the damage reduction? Really?

Did a Mod come thru and Stealth Edit this thread?

Above is the OP post ATM

but I could have Sworn that a day ago the topic had started out as a criticism of the whole Animu Wiafu aesthetic that Yareli was getting, along with Kawaii meme emotes and stuff....

or maybe I missed a page and started reading halfway thru...? but I can't find that comment line anyplace, feels like a stealth edit.

14 minutes ago, MqToasty said:

But how do you know that?  I mean, symbols and gestures see quite a bit of evolution throughout the ages, and their meanings in-universe could very well be nothing we expect them to be right now.  Take the "V-sign", for example.  It went from "screw you, Frenchies!  We still have our fingers to shoot arrows at you!" during the Battle of Agincourt to just "screw you" in commonwealth countries to "victory" to "peace" in modern times.  How do we know Yareli isn't actually saying "I'm gonna claw your friggin' eyes out (and enjoy every moment of it)..." when she's does the gesture?

As I've said before, I'd like that, and if DE decides to pull a twist like that in the quest or Leverian or whatever, then I'd be happy. 

However, as is, we just know what we know. And what we know is that DE have decided to go down the path of 'Yarei is a reference to Kawaii Culture'.

6 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

I would recommend not worrying, DE has been doing great with all the most recent newframes.  If she's not where she needs to be on release, they'll get her there shortly after.

Everything is relative, but I wouldn't agree with this statement.

• Sevagoth - Neither good nor bad, simply a frame you use if you like them. (Yes, even considering their heavy attack)
  • Lavos - Pretty bad IMO. One of those frames that have their heavy damage overly balanced by long and needlessly "complex" set ups. And I don't think what he does between presses of his 4 is enjoyable IMO.
  • Xaku - Really really bad at launch, but now he's one of the best frames in the game.
  • Protea - Pretty decent, even before the polish she got after release. But IMO Helminth is what really made her good.
  • Grendel - Has probably remained the worst frame they've made since I joined in early 2018. He has similar problems to Lavos-type frames, with not as many upsides.
  • Gauss - Again, kinda meh as release, but a bunch of buffs later he's pretty good for a weapon user. Really good if you need a low level nuker.
  • Etc...

So IMO only about half were released in a good state, or buffed to be so.

I don't see why folks are getting worked up about a frame being anime-influenced Now

considering the core concepts of the game are japan/anime-inspired.

think about it:

ninjas

little kids with super powers that pilot cyborg/robo suits

go go Power Rangers!

Guyver

Neon Genesis Evangelion

?Any other obvious places that WF is borrowing heavily from?

Just now, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

I don't see why folks are getting worked up about a frame being anime-influenced Now

considering the core concepts of the game are japan/anime-inspired.

think about it:

ninjas

little kids with super powers that pilot cyborg/robo suits

go go Power Rangers!

Guyver

Neon Genesis Evangelion

?Any other obvious places that WF is borrowing heavily from?

There's a big difference between Evangelion and, say, Blend S.

Archived