Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yareli / Pre-release feedback + Initial thoughts

PlanckZero

40 minutes ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

I don't see why folks are getting worked up about a frame being anime-influenced Now

considering the core concepts of the game are japan/anime-inspired.

think about it:

ninjas

little kids with super powers that pilot cyborg/robo suits

go go Power Rangers!

Guyver

Neon Genesis Evangelion

?Any other obvious places that WF is borrowing heavily from?

Because it was all implied and no Dev ever designated a Warframe with a Japanese word.

If Pablo ever called her "cutesy" instead of "kawaii" we wouldn't have so many Automatic Triggers.

Using Japanese words in my English speaking country?! Who dares bring weeboo here?! 

DE should start speaking some Chinese words too. Wouldn't that be topical?!

Just now, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

Gunbuster2/Diebuster is Gainax. and has Nono doing the Maid costume thing.

and lets not forget about the EVA Reboots, so much fanservice.

..what I'm saying is, the difference is blurry.

I know what zero of those things are, I wish I could even debate you on this.

8 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Who the hell is distributing Roman-Era 'materials' that this many people think that these poses would have the faintest symbolism in X,000 years time? Which is why I'm think it's weird Yareli does it.

The game has bows, katanas, revolvers, many preserved world and place names, contemporary languages, an in-universe reference to Gradius, and other pop culture references and inside jokes. Personally, to the extent that I'm immersed in the lore when playing, which varies depending on whether I'm doing daily rounds or taking on some new story content, I'm unlikely to be pulled right out of it by the appearance of a hand gesture that has had significance for, at a minimum, nearly a thousand years, with the meaning changing over time.

And as for Roman-Era materials, there's one that I buy regularly at a local market and use every time I shower. Aleppo soap was well-known in the Roman Republic and, later, the Roman Empire. We also have many Roman loan words like consulate, senate, tribune, legion, legislator, dictator, etc. Or to bring things back to the Warframe universe, worlds named for the Roman pantheon (which they largely cribbed from the Greeks), such as Mars.

5 hours ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

I don't see why folks are getting worked up about a frame being anime-influenced Now

considering the core concepts of the game are japan/anime-inspired.

think about it:

ninjas

little kids with super powers that pilot cyborg/robo suits

go go Power Rangers!

Guyver

Neon Genesis Evangelion

?Any other obvious places that WF is borrowing heavily from?

There's a difference between elements in a game and art style. Not every anime contains the girly anime tropes. The latter are more prominent in shonen type anime. More geared towards younger audience and dare I say pedophiles. With Yareli Warframe is not borrowing from anime like Ghost in the Shell, Berserk or Claymore. It's borrowing from any stock kiddish anime. It's a difference in style. That is the concern.

1 hour ago, ZokuGojira said:

The game has bows, katanas, revolvers, many preserved world and place names, contemporary languages, an in-universe reference to Gradius, and other pop culture references and inside jokes. Personally, to the extent that I'm immersed in the lore when playing, which varies depending on whether I'm doing daily rounds or taking on some new story content, I'm unlikely to be pulled right out of it by the appearance of a hand gesture that has had significance for, at a minimum, nearly a thousand years, with the meaning changing over time.

And as for Roman-Era materials, there's one that I buy regularly at a local market and use every time I shower. Aleppo soap was well-known in the Roman Republic and, later, the Roman Empire. We also have many Roman loan words like consulate, senate, tribune, legion, legislator, dictator, etc. Or to bring things back to the Warframe universe, worlds named for the Roman pantheon (which they largely cribbed from the Greeks), such as Mars.

Broad-strokes concepts and linguistic references last longer than cultural fads. We still drop Latin words in our language, but I dare you to tell me the fashion trends of 3 BCE in any specificity than. Posing like an anime girl is the latter. It has a particular cultural place based on a particular cultural string of events. Most other pop culture references are either vague, non canon (like Flappy Zephyr) or otherwise obscured. Alad's quote 'and now, betrayers, for something completely different', is a reference... but it's also just, language. It's something basically anybody could come up with. He's not namedropping a particular character or TV show... or even the existence of TV.

And the 'materials' I was referring to weren't those sorts of materials. It was a euphemisim.

1) Ability looks solid.
2) I reckon since alot of people are against using a k-drive (from what I've observed atleast), they could make her 2 like a summonable pet (like venari) where you gain the benefits while its active and you can ride it if you want. I feel it would be really good if the whole k-drive aspect is optional because I feel like the effectiveness of the movement of k-drives would be heavily dependent on the tileset. This change would eliminate that problem by making the k-drive riding optional while still gaining the benefits regardless if you choose to ride it or not and it would allow you not to be forced into using helminth to eliminate a form of mobility you may dislike.
3) Ability looks #*!%ing dope.
4) Looks good for the most part, there may be synergies we don't know about but I feel like it scattering enemies everywhere after it sucks them is kind of counterproductive to the purpose of cc, as you kind of eliminate the control part of it by just blowing out the enemies afterwards similar to Zephyrs old 4 and Inaros' sandstorm. I think the ability would be more effective if it sucked them in and collapsed all the enemies in a pile in the middle like a whirlpool, which would fit with the whole water bender aesthetic aswell.

2 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Broad-strokes concepts and linguistic references last longer than cultural fads. We still drop Latin words in our language, but I dare you to tell me the fashion trends of 3 BCE in any specificity than. Posing like an anime girl is the latter. It has a particular cultural place based on a particular cultural string of events. Most other pop culture references are either vague, non canon (like Flappy Zephyr) or otherwise obscured. Alad's quote 'and now, betrayers, for something completely different', is a reference... but it's also just, language. It's something basically anybody could come up with. He's not namedropping a particular character or TV show... or even the existence of TV.

And the 'materials' I was referring to weren't those sorts of materials. It was a euphemisim.

There's plenty out there about the fashions of the late Roman Republic and early Roman Empire. You might be surprised at how modern the dresses of women, in particular, appear. As for the V-sign, it's difficult to imagine this going away completely, given that it's been around longer than Englishmen have been speaking anything comprehensible as modern English, and the first record of it on film predates the first flight of the Wright Brothers.

It may be assigned new context, sure, but neither of us are in a position to say that Yareli could not possibly be using it such an altered context. Or, alternately, to dismiss the idea that some Orokin were simply Old Earth history nerds. And/or that some cultural memory remains of a hand gesture closely associated with what must surely have been, since there are still human beings alive in this distant future, the most destructive conflict ever waged prior to the colonization of other worlds.

Actually, the more I think of it, that last point seems to be a given, judging from the styling of our arsenal of Orokin-age weapons.

Just now, ZokuGojira said:

There's plenty out there about the fashions of the late Roman Republic and early Roman Empire. You might be surprised at how modern the dresses of women, in particular, appear.

And people in 3000 years time will be able to figure out that T-shirts and shorts existed. That doesn't mean we know what was actually fashionable on the scale of a couple decades, or what individual hand gestures meant to the common folk. We know what they meant to Orators to some degree, but that's frequently different to how people use them in day-to-day life.

2 minutes ago, ZokuGojira said:

As for the V-sign, it's difficult to imagine this going away completely, given that it's been around longer than Englishmen have been speaking anything comprehensible as modern English, and the first record of it on film predates the first flight of the Wright Brothers.

Because it isn't about that. It's about the fact it's being used as a reference to a culture which shouldn't exist in Warframe's time period is the issue.

4 minutes ago, ZokuGojira said:

It may be assigned new context, sure, but neither of us are in a position to say that Yareli could not possibly be using it such an altered context.

Again, we know the intent behind it is that it's 'kawaii'. We know because we've been told that. Unless some lore shows up that Yareli is using it and all the other trappings get recontextualised like that, we have to assume. It's not like DE have needed to do this for cute characters before.

6 minutes ago, ZokuGojira said:

Or, alternately, to dismiss the idea that some Orokin were simply Old Earth history nerds.

Of course they did. That's probably why Wukong, and Loki and Garuda exist. All of them far removed from context. Wukong's apparently gotten mixed with Kabuki since his base design incorporates the iconic red-and-white face paint, Loki's a shorthand for 'trickster' and somebody confused Garuda with Vampires. None of these are particularly accurate to their original depictions - as if pieced together inaccurately by scholars thousands of years later.

16 minutes ago, ZokuGojira said:

And/or that some cultural memory remains of a hand gesture closely associated with what must surely have been, since there are still human beings alive in this distant future, the most destructive conflict ever waged prior to the colonization of other worlds.

The cultural memory of Rome and Greece remains but we sure don't know what the Peace Sign meant 2000 years ago beyond a pretty reasonable guess that at least one person used it to signify the number two at one point in some part of the world. So why does Yareli do it to look cute X,000 later?

This is especially true when you consider that we know the context in which the peace sign gained it's popularity in modern-day Japanese culture. It is because it was used in advertisement and by celebrities. It became the peace sign because after victory comes peace (or should come, as the case may be) and it was used because the fingers make a 'V' shape - V for Victory. But in Warframe's time period, the letter isn't drawn that way anymore, and the advertisements and celebrities are long dead.

18 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Honestly, this doesn't mean anything.  Players say all sorts of uninformed stuff; they always have, and they always will.  I'm far too accustomed to watching them eat their words once a release happens to put any stock in the opinions of players who haven't even touched the content yet.

In this case it does mean something since we all have access to K-drives already. So people that really dislike K-drives will naturally replace her second skill since they already hate the mechanics and movement of the archetype. Obviously DE might surprise us and the k-drive my feel nothing like the regular ones, though that would surprise the hell out of me.

I'm slightly annoyed that they have to dedicate an ability slot for k-drive when we have a gear tab for it. 

Just give it a rage bar mechanic and summon it from gear tab when its full. 

And have her k-drive override current k-drives when she's your base frame. 

4 hours ago, Wolfchild07 said:

I was hoping the glaives from her 3 would go out and attack enemies. Pretty disappointing that they just spin around her like that.

Like Nezha's Chakram? that would've been way better indeed

46 minutes ago, DaMasque said:

I'm slightly annoyed that they have to dedicate an ability slot for k-drive when we have a gear tab for it. 

Just give it a rage bar mechanic and summon it from gear tab when its full. 

And have her k-drive override current k-drives when she's your base frame. 

tbh, from the concept arts we saw, I thought that the k-drive was her passive, like sprinting or dodging twice summoned it to go faster

19 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

Eh, Yareli is already a smaller Warframe, and I think that's deliberate.

Merulina appears wider, but since that's a skin on a K-drive model, the sides of it will probably just clip into the walls as you ride near them, so width isn't a problem either.

The thing to watch out for is whether bumping into a wall knocks you off, or whether it's only when you try to jump and hit geometry. The demo showed Rebecca getting into corners and riding through small gaps in the Defense map without falling off, so it could be they've given it a little forgiveness in that respect.

Also, given that Titania still bashes into walls (harmlessly) and does the 'spinning in space' animation for a second or so, DE are likely going to let you keep getting knocked off instead of going to the extra work of letting it do wall-rides or similar.

The problem is that the defense maps are quite large even in narrow places. Of course, the tests will show, but devstream did not cause me much confidence. Yareli's abilities are pretty ordinary, so if her k-drive feels bad, then basically the whole frame will feel bad. Not that her other abilities looked bad, but it just seems to me that other frames have these abilities. For example, 4 and passive have a lot in common with zephyr, i think. You know, big tornado and condition weapon passive. 

Archived