Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yareli / Pre-release feedback + Initial thoughts

PlanckZero

19 hours ago, Jarriaga said:

I don't know about you, but it's pretty clear to me that she's riding on something in her official artwork:

Spoiler

art.png

I also got the water-theme vibe, so I thought of a surfer. The only thing surfer-like in the game is a K-drive.

Even day-1 reveal fanart has been consistently depicting her as a surfer, or at the very least a something-rider:

Spoiler

E0skSVJVgAEr7Op.jpg

So it seems that quite on the contrary, you are the one who didn't get what they were going for and what to expect. There were even discussions in the last devstream about if she's a surfer frame then Vent Kids would be involved, which is what was announced today.

AGAIN... other than the fact they obviously gave her a k-drive in those images... what makes her a k-drive frame?

It's one thing if you design a frame with an explicit skateboarder/ventkid/surfer aesthetic... but without the presence of that board she doesn't have any of that.  You could remove the k-drive from that ability entirely and replace it with an bubbles that provide damage mitigation and increase her movement speed and no one would even bat an eye.

20 minutes ago, PlanckZero said:

AGAIN... other than the fact they obviously gave her a k-drive in those images... what makes her a k-drive frame?

What makes Ember a fire frame?

What makes Garuda a vampire frame?

What makes Mesa a gunslinger frame?

Because DE decided on abilities based on the concept art. It's as simple as that. If the visual art indicates she hovers or rides on something, then guess what's going to happen gameplay-wise? You don't like that explanation, so it doesn't matter how many people break it down to you, you won't accept it. Nothing will be a satisfactory answer to you because any answer that boils down to "They design the art first, then the abilities while keeping in tone with the concept art" is going to be invalid to you, so what are you even asking for if no answer will ever satisfy you?

I mean, look at Protea. Her animations were shown in Mirage before we even saw an artwork for Protea. This means that the concept of Protea was set long before even her design was decided. Why would it be different here if we go by that example? It means DE wanted a K-Drive frame before it was decided to be Yareli.

20 minutes ago, PlanckZero said:

It's one thing if you design a frame with an explicit skateboarder/ventkid/surfer aesthetic... but without the presence of that board she doesn't have any of that.  You could remove the k-drive from that ability entirely and replace it with an bubbles that provide damage mitigation and increase her movement speed and no one would even bat an eye.

That sounds boring, too simple, too cookie-cutter and not memorable. It would also make her just water Nezha and not distinctive enough mechanically.

Just now, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

She looks awesome. Don't like it don't use it.

Looking awesome doesn't make k-drives any less awkward to use in missions does it? 

Why on Earth are so many people so dedicated to making up excuses here that entirely avoid the actual argument here?  I'm not saying a surfing warframe doesn't look cool or that I was surprised that a warframe whose teaser images featured a k-drive ended up with a k-drive...  I'm saying that a mechanic that was ignored in the open world for being awkward as hell to use isn't getting made any better by cramming it into an exalted ability on tilesets even less suited to its use.

2 minutes ago, PlanckZero said:

Is...is this a serious question? 

Hell, lets remove the defining traits of other frames, what do you know suddenly their theme falls apart. Lets remove titanias Pixie mode, whaddya know she isnt the pixie frame anymore. 

Lets remove Mesa’s peacemakers...whaddya know she isnt the gunslinger anymore. 

Yareli was obviously given a K drive because her theme is a wave rider frame, hence Kdrives. It makes more sense from a design aspect to not only integrate existing gameplay elements and put a fun twist on them rather then remake a whole new set of animations. 

5 minutes ago, PlanckZero said:

Looking awesome doesn't make k-drives any less awkward to use in missions does it? 

Why on Earth are so many people so dedicated to making up excuses here that entirely avoid the actual argument here?  I'm not saying a surfing warframe doesn't look cool or that I was surprised that a warframe whose teaser images featured a k-drive ended up with a k-drive...  I'm saying that a mechanic that was ignored in the open world for being awkward as hell to use isn't getting made any better by cramming it into an exalted ability on tilesets even less suited to its use.

I don't have coordination issues, so it's not awkward for me personally.

1 minute ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

I don't have coordination issues, so it's not awkward for me personally.

Would be really nice to see some people try to make arguments here without resorting to personal attacks. 

As much as i love her look & animations, as said in the title, her abilities worry me a bit

I like her 2, that k-drive thing could be actually useful, especially with that damage reduction, but her other three abilities are very meh

Her 1 could potentially be used like Vauban's Vector Pad, place them somewhere & wait for enemies, like in interceptions for example. But the bubbles only seem to attach to targets right in front of her, using more than one bubble, so groups of enemies might be a problem, which defeats the entire point of a CC ability

Her 3, could be good depending on the damage & the area it covers, but based on what we've seen before, I don't see it being actually good

Her 4 reminds a lot of the first time we saw Revenant with his Mass Sleep ability. But this time it just scatters enemies left & right & didn't seem to even do damage, why is this even here?

What was her passive again? I don't even remember Rebecca talking about it

Just now, PlanckZero said:

Would be really nice to see some people try to make arguments here without resorting to personal attacks. 

There's no debate here. This warframe wasn't made for you alone. I'm sorry you don't like it, but what would you like to happen? Do you think they're gonna get rid of it?

You're just venting, and that's ok.

56 minutes ago, PlanckZero said:

If you don't see the design failure in trying to shoehorn in mechanic like K-drives in as an exalted ability then I don't know what to tell you.  If players can already look at an ability and simply say "Yup, that's what I'm replacing with X" before the frame has even released then that isn't exactly a good sign, especially when it's such a signature ability.

Except it actually almost was?  As far as most maps go it's relatively open and only has two levels of verticality to worry about.  Reb for god knows what reason decided to spend the entire time hugging the objective which meant she was constantly bumping into all of those obstacles surrounding it but a level like that is almost as good as it's going to get for riding on a k-drive and it was still awkward as hell.

I mean the design failure goes back a bit as well. DE is pretty staunch on what they want to do with frames. We have Temporal Anchor on Protea despite the fact that everyone I know helminths it off for something else (Breach Surge ftw lol). So it will stay, no matter how bad it is 

32 minutes ago, PsiWarp said:

That flip slamming into railing that Reb did with Yareli and made her deboard worries me a bit.

It'll be a good showcase for why DE's obsession with ragdolling off K-Drives is such a stupid idea, and then we can be rid of it. Maybe we can get them to allow us to use primaries on boards, too. This could all pave the way for K-Drives being usable in normal missions for everyone, which would finally give them a niche.

3 minutes ago, Ailia_Grimm said:

What was her passive again?

More crit for secondaries, based on (recent?) movement. The only worry I had regarding Yareli is what kind of media the designer consumes.

Operator, what are we going to do on the K-Drive?

10 minutes ago, (PSN)CommanderC2121 said:

Is...is this a serious question? 

Hell, lets remove the defining traits of other frames, what do you know suddenly their theme falls apart. Lets remove titanias Pixie mode, whaddya know she isnt the pixie frame anymore. 

Lets remove Mesa’s peacemakers...whaddya know she isnt the gunslinger anymore. 

Yareli was obviously given a K drive because her theme is a wave rider frame, hence Kdrives. It makes more sense from a design aspect to not only integrate existing gameplay elements and put a fun twist on them rather then remake a whole new set of animations. 

Because that's not what I said and you're cherrypicking to try and make your argument look better?  I said that based on the context of her design AND other abilities would you expect her third ability to end up being an exalted K-drive.

If You removed Mesa's Peacemakers and provided the context of SHOOTing gallery and BALLISTIC Battery then would I assume she has something to do with guns?  Yea... no S#&$.

1 minute ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

And her passive is crit chance while moving on the kdrive i think.

Thanks

I know mods exist, but her 3 just reminds me of Volt's, Ember's, Forst's & Excal's 1, they are not very good damage abilities & people rarely uses them

1 minute ago, PublikDomain said:

Scaling will likely be an issue, as it is for most damage-dealing casters, but we don't know the math behind the damage numbers yet.

Unless she has enemy lvl scaling, like Xaku

But yeah, direct damage abilities are never really good

It remains to be seen how her abilities scale. I could see the 3 being handy for speedy missions, especially combined with the k-drive.

Her grouping skill on 4 hopefully doesn't cost 100 energy. Grouping skills are super handy, and maybe this one will stand out with some high range or something. It's a little unfortunate that the enemies go flying upwards, but maybe there are other effects.

I expect this frame to be kinda squishy, which is my personal biggest concern. And k-drives being kinda poor to handle.

2 minutes ago, VhwatGoes said:

It remains to be seen how her abilities scale. I could see the 3 being handy for speedy missions, especially combined with the k-drive.

Her grouping skill on 4 hopefully doesn't cost 100 energy. Grouping skills are super handy, and maybe this one will stand out with some high range or something. It's a little unfortunate that the enemies go flying upwards, but maybe there are other effects.

I expect this frame to be kinda squishy, which is my personal biggest concern. And k-drives being kinda poor to handle.

Most grouping skills should cost 100 power given how incredibly powerful they are.

I will say that when I first saw her art my hope was that her mount would just be a skin for K-Drives, and my dread was that she would essentially have an ability slot wasted on a power that is awkward in cramped environments and near-entirely redundant on landscapes. Since the latter has come to pass, I think it's safe to say that Yareli will likely be my first instance of swapping out a frame's power immediately upon release. A shame, since I find her utterly adorable otherwise.

Also, Cyclone Strike is giving me severe Tornado flashbacks.

What I just don’t understand is, the very reason we are not allowed to use k-drives in normal missions is because DE themselves said it would be too awkward. They said they tried it, they kept banging their head on doorways or bumping into walls (or something to that effect) and it just didn’t work well, so they scrapped the idea.

And then they go and design an entire Warframe around it. I’m just not sure I see the sense in this.

If they want this k-drive creature of hers to be viable, it’s going to have to come with a completely different set of rules: no momentum (which means faster acceleration and deceleration), no forced dismounting, and more controllable jumps/aerial movement. Otherwise it’s going to fall flat. It cannot be just a re-skinned k-drive.

I would have went the Jet Set Radio route, would have been cool to give her water propelled inline skates with boosted mobility and movement where tricks could be used to build up some sort of buff meter. The vent kids have that whole JSR vibe going on anyways. Basically keep the trick system of the k-drive without the board. Would have been a good compromise to get around some of the K-drive clumsiness. I’ll be interested to see how she works out though. 

Archived