Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yareli / Pre-release feedback + Initial thoughts

PlanckZero

26 minutes ago, (XBOX)WafflyLearner89 said:

It would be basic melee attacks. Stances on k drives would be impossible.

They haven't even animated dual/akimbo pistols for K-drive use. If you pull an Aklex Prime, only 1 pistol comes up. See example in spoiler tag, notice the right-hand pistol is missing because it's holstered if you look at the right leg.

Spoiler

Warframe0291.jpg

Many melee weapons are dual-handed. Thus, even basic melee attacks are off the table considering that. It's either no melee at all, or Merulina using your melee mods when running over enemies so Yareli doesn't need to melee until DE decide to animate each melee weapon class for basic attacks, which still means a lot of work because you have classes like hammers and dual daggers and they should not be animated the same way.

Watched the teaser video when it was released, read the descriptions for Yareli in the news pages. In the teaser video, I saw evil corpus sister theme almost immediately countered by super kawaii bubble surfer frame. in short, the video unsuccessfully tried to mesh two incompatible additions, and so missed the mark for me. I'll catch the next hypetrain, my ticket is still good for a while.

On Yareli directly - 

Passive -  increased secondary crit when moving for 1.5 seconds looks good. Probably too good honestly. If you have the primed crit mods for secondary you'll have alot of options for instant redcrits for the low price doing the twostep.
Sea Snares - depending on how it scales, could be interesting as a CC ability. If it's locked to only three targets it's going to be much less useful.
Merulina - in mission damage reduction/absorption k-drive. Has potential, but also the baggage of k-drives. If we're expected to relinquish all the parkour movement benefits and primary AND melee weapons we're going to need this thing to be REALLY tanky. And maneuverable. People are commonly moving fast enough to run into boxes and damage themselves, k-drive boosting through a grineeer hallway sounds cool until you eat a pipe and get a 4 second dismount animation which then removes all the DR you had and locks you in one place under fire. I'm willing to give it a go to see what happens, but from the initial look it seems the larger portion of players will be doing exactly what Reb did in the first looks - twostepping in a small area on Merulina for the passive damage bonus and DR then dismounting voluntarily to reposition and recast, while occasionally being knocked off their k-drive from any random knockdown or blast effects then murdered on the ground while prone. I'm intrigued to see how and IF it works with tempered expectations that it's going to be very trying to integrate to mainstream play.
Aquablades - cool name, looks neat. Also functionally looks like a reined in version of Garas' Splinterstorm than you can't stack so has finite limits. Seems like a solid base but also pre-nerfed, so cautiously optimistic on this one.
Riptide - ... Larvaburst. Waterskinned and with increased energy usage. It's nice you're giving another version of the Nidus' augmented ability. Unless it does something else it kinda falls short for me.

( this is just the sense I get from what I've seen so far )

Additionally - those are some really supercute animations. The motion seems ... frantic... though, like you're trying to show a hyperactive loli playing up for the camera. If that's what you were going for then you hit it. Personally it's not for me though I know there are those that cannot get lolicons ( or Nezha ) saccharine enough. I like anime, but the animation and model looks more like a parody of it reduced to lowest common denominator. Well executed but not to my taste for a weapon of mass destruction. I hesitate to call it pandering though because I haven't seen the whole package yet, only the snippets you've showcased and highlighted. Again, if you're trying to distill the essence of modern pop culture anime you've done a solid job of it, though I do remember seeing an old TV show that used the phrase ' when you have a thoroughbred racehorse, you don't do it justice by dressing it in showpony livery ' which seems to encapsulate the over the top sense I come away from the graphics with.
All that said I'm still cautiously optimistic you've noted and tweaked out a number of issues before we ever see it, so I hope Yareli got a good shakedown pass when she hits.

Addendum - I'm surprised you called her ' Ya, really.' instead of 'Oh, really?'

On 2021-05-31 at 2:24 PM, Tesseract7777 said:

You speak for you and you alone. 

Very true BUT that would mean you are also speaking for yourself. I think a lot more ppl would agree that Archwings are a superior way of transportation and they all have fun and unique abilities. If you want to get from point A to point B fast.... you use an Archwing. There is really no debate there, unless you want to get into building speedy meme frames, which is not relevant to this topic. Start a straw poll and see what people would be more unhappy about if they had to remove either kdrive or archwing, I would guess it would be 75% in favor for keeping archwings and 25% in favor for Kdrives. Would be fun to see but also not relevent to this topic. We know the kDrive isn't going anywhere and doesn't need to.

I'm fine with her 2 for large tile-sets where you can't use an archwing but most of these tile-sets have areas that are just way to cluttered or confined. It would be nice to have something where if you hold down 2 you get the kdrive but if you tap it, Merulina will swim around you in circles absorbing some damage. Just an idea but I hear Merulina can be 1 shot in mid lvl missions anyway. This would be another great excuse for DE to get rid of those random moving floor bits in some maps, that serve no purpose other than c***blocking speedy frames.

Also her 3.... I'm not really sure what it does. The way DE described it on stream was like a brutal pressure washing disk of doom. In game with max power strength it barely damages anything...it just causes a little stagger. It would be totally safe to play catch with your kubrow.

Buying this frame just left me feelin like Merulina, beaten and stepped on.....not even in the fun way. :(

Yareli bugs:

Sentinels' Vacuum ability intermittently stops working while on Merulina.  Dismounting and remounting usually sometimes fixes it.  It seems to vary by host, with some missions having no issues and some having lots of them.  I just went 25 defense rounds without it ever working at all.

Merulina sometimes unsummons as soon as it's summoned, particularly on uneven ground.  This happened a LOT on the standard Stephano map (the one with four defense points).

Staticor doesn't fit on Yareli's right hand correctly.  It's rotated about 90 degrees off.

Maybe a bug:  Even with maxed Primed Sure Footed equipped, Yareli can still be knocked off Merulina.

Other than these, I like Yareli a lot.  I've never done K-drive except that one time during the Vox Solaris quest because I'm not remotely interested in races and stunts, but it's a lot of fun in combat missions on maps that aren't too cramped.

Archived