Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yarrrr! Today I learned something.

(NSW)Greybones

We’re not Space Ninjas. We’re Space Pirate Ninjas!

https://www.pcgamer.com/15-years-later-warframe-is-finally-close-to-realizing-its-original-vision/ (thanks @DrivaMain)

Apparently, despite Dark Sector’s modest success, DE needed a new plan to keep from sinking in 2012.

(insert a moment of silent respect for the stress involved)

At one point Steve (though he’s not taking credit for it) wrote a bullet point design document entitled ‘Tenno’, describing “space-ninja-slash-space-pirate”s as they flew around in a spaceship. "You're on a spaceship, you fly over, you board the other guy, you kill the guys, get some loot, repeat, repeat, level up."

Couldn’t make good on the idea until recently, so until then we’d mostly been fighting through randomly generated levels because that’s what they could do at the time. Our true heritage never realized until now

that's good, but if we're *really* meant to be pirates, we need:

-  a mode where we can freely roam around space in our railjacks, finding and looting random ships, by disabling their defenses and boarding them, and getting hunted by Privateers.

- more Pirate era weapons:  more Cutlass swords like Nami Solo, more Flintlock guns like Twin Roggas and Kuva Chakkhurr. 

- the ability to drink Rum and smoke tobacco as our Operator.

and most of all:

- a Hydroid rework that makes him into the Davy Jones warframe he should have always been. let the kawaii crowd have Yareli, for me there's only one master of the deep!

but seriously just give me a railajck mode thta's like AC4 Black Flag, I promise you that people's opinion on railjack will 180 faster than you can say "yo ho ho and a bottle full of Nitain!"

3 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Why? That would imply darkSector deserves it. Even DE themselves have long stopped pretending darkSector was at all fun or interesting

Well Warframe is the reincarnation of the original dark sector. So yes, dark sector is still being cared by DE today as Warframe.

15 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Why? That would imply darkSector deserves it. Even DE themselves have long stopped pretending darkSector was at all fun or interesting

I was thinking more about the stress that everyone went through. If I’m not mistaken, this is when they had to let some good people go? (to be rehired at a later date, but that can’t have been easy regardless)

Could be wrong, mind. I’ll have to do some digging to confirm

🤔 Every time Ordis said “You remember well, how the Tenno arm themselves”, I was like “Sure, Ordis. Let’s go with that.” as I leave on another mission with the most mis-matched equipment.

He said it again just recently when I had my Zarr equipped, and I’m like “….Ooooooohhhhh” 😋

with the weapons we have accsess to are we really ninjas or are we space pirate samurai

4 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

“You remember well, how the Tenno arm themselves”

he said this when i unequiped everything but the stug for speed lvling it and i was like "you sure this how tenno arm themselves"

1 minute ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Hm? What’re you talking about?

People talk about pirates, ninjas, guyvers. Kind of odd no? Can it not be warframes? Seems people need to linking to another type of media in order for this game to have an identity.

7 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

People talk about pirates, ninjas, guyvers. Kind of odd no? Can it not be warframes? Seems people need to linking to another type of media in order for this game to have an identity.

So what’s a Warframe then? (no spoilers, mind; I haven’t finished everything)

Also, I’ll have to look up “guyver”

edit: Ah, so that’s what that is

2 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

So what’s a Warframe then? (no spoilers, mind; I haven’t finished everything)

Also, I’ll have to look up “guyver”

Well then I cannot answer that and you're probably better off not looking up up guyver either. Ask these questions again after you finish the quest "The Sacrifice".

13 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

Well then I cannot answer that and you're probably better not lookup up guyver either. Ask these questions again after you finish the quest "The Sacrifice".

Guess I’m stuck using relatable references until I do. Ah well

edit: 🤔 I feel like even when I do learn what a Warframe is, I’d still refer to them as pirates or ninjas, on top of whatever they really are. They’re not real pirates/ninjas, but they have aspects of what modern popular culture defines them as, and I like those aspects about them

in this game a charicter says "we fought with honor" did ninjas care that much for honor? i always thought that was a samurai thing as the samurai were just nobles that could aford better armor to go to battle in and sometimes contracted ninjas to kill or steal stuff from their opposition so as far as i thought ninjas were more hired assasins where as samurai were nobles that had a public image that they had to up keep called honor

5 minutes ago, lowgrav said:

in this game a charicter says "we fought with honor" did ninjas care that much for honor? i always thought that was a samurai thing as the samurai were just nobles that could aford better armor to go to battle in and sometimes contracted ninjas to kill or steal stuff from their opposition so as far as i thought ninjas were more hired assasins where as samurai were nobles that had a public image that they had to up keep called honor

More or less, yes. Ninja were far more about "The ends justify the means" sorta things, and were more than happy to use sneaky, underhanded, 'dishonorable' methods of getting things done. 

And honor is at best guidelines for pirates. At absolute best. More often their guiding principles were "Get loot" and "Avoid the navy" 

Archived