Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Need helpful input!] Rough draft of a Solar Wind frame

beegrease

So this is something I've been brainstorming for a few days and definitely want some input on. This is a "rough draft" of her concept; I will post a more complete one when I can get a reference image and after some much-needed tweaks. :]

NAME: Iliakos [Greek word for "solar"]

HEALTH: in the middle?

SHIELD: high [to imitate an atmosphere/magnetic field]

ARMOR: lowish?

ENERGY: ?

BACKSTORY: Solar storms are no strange phenomenon in the Origin System. On Lua, for example, they disrupt the golden voices traveling through the air, pummeling the surface with powerful, charged waves.

During the Old War, a particularly strong flare caused a mass ejection of charged particles [solar wind] that buffeted Lua's surface. While the Golden Lords hid away, Iliakos was sent out to either:

a] Somehow deflect the wind,

b] or was sent out to see what the effects would be on a Warframe.

Abilities are still in VERY rough drafts, so take them with a grain of salt.

ABILITIES:

1. SHEER SOLAR: Iliakos creates powerful waves of solar winds.

-create radiation procs on contact

-to affect an enemy, right click and sweep over desired target(s).

2. MAGNETOSPHERE: Warp the solar winds to protect Iliakos.

-based on duration [?]

-block/reduce damage by [x]%

3. AURORA: Iliakos' own solar winds flare and interfere with the area's atmosphere and cause powerful heat damage over a wide area.

-guaranteed heat proc on enemies in the area

4. GEO STORM: Create a turbulent geomagnetic storm that affects enemies in a variety of ways.

-can be cast on its own BUT when case with magnetosphere, sacrifices some of the damage reduction to create a more powerful storm

-affects enemy movement, perception, and reaction time

EDIT: formatting was really weird after copy/pasting from google docs

I like to think about what niche a particular warframe or ability would fill. Is there a playstyle I would like to try out that currently doesn't exist? What synergies are interesting to me?

Then I ask, what kind of archetype might be this be best embodied as? Is there already a frame like this in the game?

When I read your description I think of Icarus. The greek character who flew too close to the sun. I also think of Ember.

My feedback to you is that the concept itself is interesting, but the abilites don't feel very unique. I think if I were to design an Icarus frame it would be something like this:

PASSIVE: Elemental damage dealt to Lliakos ignores shields and restores energy. (like Rage but less) Using abilities restores a percentage of health based on damage. The lower his health, the more damage he deals. (works similar to garuda's or ember's passive.)

1. (croud control) Infuse an enemy with the fire of the sun. They deal more and more fire damage over time to those nearby, coaxing surrounding enemies to fire at them. After a while, the charged enemy explodes in a super nova dealing devestating damage. Hold the ability to accelerate the process.

2. (damage reduction) Cloak Iliakos in the warmth the solar winds. Reduces incoming damage and reflects it back at the attackers.

3. (movement) Hold ability to charge through the air in any direction. Enemies hit are ragdolled and dealt fire damage.

4. (damage dealing) Incinerate surrounding enemies. The lower our warframes health, the more damage is dealt.

I hope this helps

you know, i expected some sort of snarky response [since that seems to be what's cool these days] and instead you gave useful criticism and fixes. you don't know how much i appreciate that, dude :] i'll take your advice and mix things up a little!

9 hours ago, northstarring said:

you know, i expected some sort of snarky response [since that seems to be what's cool these days] and instead you gave useful criticism and fixes. you don't know how much i appreciate that, dude :] i'll take your advice and mix things up a little!

For stats: 

health and shield are usually between 75 to 150 at rank 0. At 30 they both multiply by 3x. I kind of picture health at 100(300 max) and shields at 200(600 max).

armor usually never increases. I would assume like maybe 150.

Sprint speed don’t usually increase either. And being that solar wind can escape the gravitational pull of the sun, I picture a fast frame. Maybe like 1.25. 

Last energy usually increases by 1.5x. And being that solar wind is energy, I picture this frame having like 200 to start which becomes 300 maxed. Maybe this could be the one and only frame to have the highest energy in the game. Like 250 to start and 375 maxed. If DE chose.  

How much do you know about solar winds? There’s just way too much nerd stuff to understand what is being discussed. 

But so far what I have looked up mentions electrical charged molecules. Magnetic effects. And heat. It also mentions that solar wind was the sun’s plasma particles being able to escape the gravitational force of the sun. There’s a lot of chemistry involved so I’m not able to go any further. 

So the first thing it makes me think of is the sun. Which also makes me think of different gods of the sun from different religions or cultures. 

So it makes me picture a frame able to generate heat to catch nearby enemies on fire or melt their bullets to do less damage. Also be unaffected by fire status. 

It also makes me picture a sort of Phoenix rising from the ashes. Where as most frames can only be self revived once. This frame can self revive up to 8 times. 

The 4th ability I picture it being able to generate its health and drain it to power it up. Once released or killed during the ability, it will release a fiery explosion that can deal extreme fire and radiation damage but also cause an electromagnetic anomaly that jams all enemy machinery. Maybe cause some blindness to non robotic survivors. 

Maybe even nullifiers can not withstand it. Think it’s about time we have a frame or 2 that can destroy nullifiers. As this frame can deal magnetic damage to destroy shields and fire/radiation damage towards flesh. 

Being able to escape the gravitational pull of the sun, I would assume gravity doesn’t affect this frame much. Maybe an ability that allows this frame to fly almost like in Archwing mode. Maybe diving into enemies would cause damage. 

Maybe it can heat up the bullets to deal increase puncture damage and increase punch through. Maybe could even go right through shields due to the magnetic effects. 

Those are the only suggestions that I can think of that aren’t too similar to another frame. Maybe do a lot of research on solar winds then picture like what if Ember was based on that. How would her abilities be altered to match the attribute. Then you can work your way up to figuring out abilities that are different. More unique. I mentioned a solar frame shooting a giant solar beam. Mostly based on the old Tenno animation where they shot a beam. I was shocked to find out Wisp had that ability after it was released. I don’t know if it was one of those great minds think alike or that they saw my post and considered it in their next design. Either way, it proved not to many abilities are far fetched. So don’t hesitate to throw something out there. 

On 2021-06-04 at 7:02 PM, northstarring said:

These forums tend to be pretty toxic. It's just a sad fact. Try not to take anything personally, and just remember that all those sad people have nothing else to do but troll the internet. ;)

Archived