Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Game Mechanics

Bastion2015

I submitted this request to DE about Energy Drain

I find it rather asinine that our Warframes start out with reduced Energy in mission. This is suppose to be a futuristic game, so please do tell me what historical basis made you decide that in the future driving a Tank into battle on a quarter tank of gas, to just get gas as you go, is a good idea.

To add to, more and more enemies in the game now Super drain energy, making it just about pointless to have spent 100s-1000s of hours GRINDING, and $100s-$1000s on this game if most of the time I can't use my Warframe abilities.

I find the constant energy drain from enemies to be a lazy game design to create cheap challenge.

*This is what DE sent back as a response, almost immediately

[DE]Jameson

Thank you for your feedback. To make our development team aware of this, please post your request on the Warframe Feedback sub-forum.

Our Forums are regularly monitored for new ideas, bug reports along with general feedback about the game, and are the best place to be heard.

Should you also wish to delve deeper into Warframe's extensive universe, please check out our comprehensive Warframe Wiki

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Yes, I know my original request sounds harsh, but I have been reading Forums about the same issue from 4 years ago, and DE has doubled down on energy drain since then. So, this part (Our Forums are regularly monitored for new ideas, bug reports along with general feedback about the game, and are the best place to be heard.) doesn't seem accurate, which is why I did it by Request, which seemed to be the correct way to do it.

FIX: One idea I saw, which I think is a good idea, is an Ability cost increase instead of Energy Drain. 25% Ability cost increase per Energy Eximus, allowing for up to a 100% Ability cost stack.

Thoughts?

9 hours ago, Bastion2015 said:

I submitted this request to DE about Energy Drain

I find it rather asinine that our Warframes start out with reduced Energy in mission. This is suppose to be a futuristic game, so please do tell me what historical basis made you decide that in the future driving a Tank into battle on a quarter tank of gas, to just get gas as you go, is a good idea.

To add to, more and more enemies in the game now Super drain energy, making it just about pointless to have spent 100s-1000s of hours GRINDING, and $100s-$1000s on this game if most of the time I can't use my Warframe abilities.

I find the constant energy drain from enemies to be a lazy game design to create cheap challenge.

*This is what DE sent back as a response, almost immediately

[DE]Jameson

Thank you for your feedback. To make our development team aware of this, please post your request on the Warframe Feedback sub-forum.

Our Forums are regularly monitored for new ideas, bug reports along with general feedback about the game, and are the best place to be heard.

Should you also wish to delve deeper into Warframe's extensive universe, please check out our comprehensive Warframe Wiki

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Yes, I know my original request sounds harsh, but I have been reading Forums about the same issue from 4 years ago, and DE has doubled down on energy drain since then. So, this part (Our Forums are regularly monitored for new ideas, bug reports along with general feedback about the game, and are the best place to be heard.) doesn't seem accurate, which is why I did it by Request, which seemed to be the correct way to do it.

FIX: One idea I saw, which I think is a good idea, is an Ability cost increase instead of Energy Drain. 25% Ability cost increase per Energy Eximus, allowing for up to a 100% Ability cost stack.

Thoughts?

About foums being regularly maintained for new ideas is like if you give new idea even good one for all of us it does not it will be implemented because it could not be good for game itself from developer standpoint

Like why we need to trade in dojo why cant we from orbiter that is just stupid but then u would not see creativity of other ppl in their dojos i build a car in mine from parts just because i seen someone did it in his dojo
Also prices would drop if we could trade faster and more efficiently
And now it encourages ppl to join/make clans so there is that

About energy drain NO1 LIKES IT we didnt forma our warframes learn their gimmick just to be unable to use their abilities
But at this point we are so overpowered that any benefit for us towards energy efficiency IN ANY WAY would be just harmful

We have so many means of dealing with it and we have so powerful weapons that we can handle it not to mention squad energy restore pads
Its like specters awesome idea just who have time to grind their BP craft them and use them each time on missions

Many of us already see energy reduction sortie as a "ok whatever" and we dont care since its not threat to us at all

Other thing to consider is endgame vs new player experience for me (mr30 with all i could rank up and get) there is nothing in warframe anymore to get i just do sortie and sp alerts just because they are there
like 2 months ago i took under my wing guy which was like mr 4 now he is 17 (well he dont play much) i gave him mods he was missing some prime bps he was misising
I took my time to teach him how to mod stuff properly told him which frames are easy pick for which missions
He never fought eidolons was with me twice on profit taker and he already says warframe is boring because of me he dont see any challenge in content and he realized he already have everything he need to play efficiently without effort and from now only way of progression for him is just MR fodder

And now imagine adding to the mix ANY benefit to our energy economy

Trust my im all in for any buff for us but in the end it will make things just worse

You have a couple issues rolled up here.
First, your warframe doesn't start with a half tank of gas as you put it, it starts with a small amount of energy PLUS additional energy for every unspent mod point. If you are consistently starting with a low amount of energy free up mod points either by changing your modding or formaing so you have enough free points to start full. Alternately, you could just run zenurik and buff yourself at the start of a mission, or drop an energy pizza and wait 30 seconds. You say starting lower only to top up in mission makes no sense, but the point is that your frame begins overextended (energywise) with all the customization you've added in the arsenal and has to scavenge in mission to reach it's fully stocked state. If this was not the case, tenno would always hit the ground and wipe the closest three tiles and just walk to the objective. Every time. Loading in to press 1then2then4thenSprintlock is not thrilling gameplay. I mean we do it anyways, but the game needs to present the option to be played as a game with actual risk as well.

Second, energy isn't supposed to be bottomless, you are supposed to be a space ninja with pseudo magical abilities that give you an edge. Players have and will forever continue to find ways to short circuit the need to moderate their use of tenno space majic, so it leads to the erroneous belief that we should be only casting forever unchecked. This create a huge balance problem for DE, and while it is fun to cast like a level 99 mage and watch everything within three tiles die unseen it's not the games  intended design. This is why you see more energy leech/parasitic/nullifiers in play - we've broken the balances system with bottomless energy and the game needs a way to respond to keep any semblance of challenge involved or it might as well turn into an autoclicker self winning game.
What you call 'lazy design' is required to stop 'lazy players'. 

I feel DE should go in the opposite direction - change zenurik so it's not so large a lazy free energy source and make players make modding sacrifices to balance power with useability and endurance in a longer encounter. We'd still be overwhelming, just with closer death cordon and less zeros behind it.
Making ability spam harder is one peice of the puzzle in bringing fun and challenge back into the game without resorting to cheesy damage gating/invulnerability phases/status immunity/other gimmicks that cheapen the experience for everyone.

we get our energy drained because it's the easiest way to nerf us for harder content. IMO a system of diminishing returns works better when fighting tough enemies:

say you're fighting a boss: your first cast works without a hitch. cast again, the range, power and duration is reduced slightly, then it gets reduced again, and again, until eventually when you cast you are only affecting the boss/tough enemy for a split second before the effect wears off. this not only reigns in power spam, but encourages players to pick the best moment for using their powers.

a good example of this is in Borderlands 2: Maya the Siren can Phaselock to hold an enemy in place so everyone can freely shoot them, but do it on the same enemy too many times and the duration keeps decreasing, so in a really tough fight with a co-ordinated team, you have to wait until everyone is ready to deal some serious DPS, then use the power and hit the target with everything you've got. 

3 hours ago, Xyngrr said:

First, your warframe doesn't start with a half tank of gas as you put it, it starts with a small amount of energy PLUS additional energy for every unspent mod point.

Huh! I never knew this. Additional consideration for what I bring to a fight then, thanks for the teachings 👍

On 2021-06-04 at 3:16 PM, TARINunit9 said:

You know that was an automated form letter, right?

That was a blanket response. It was assigned to a Tech, they looked at it and decided I would be best served on the Forums and used a pre determined response for such requests. Hence, why I said Almost immediate.

On 2021-06-04 at 3:05 PM, ZeroX4 said:

About foums being regularly maintained for new ideas is like if you give new idea even good one for all of us it does not it will be implemented because it could not be good for game itself from developer standpoint

Like why we need to trade in dojo why cant we from orbiter that is just stupid but then u would not see creativity of other ppl in their dojos i build a car in mine from parts just because i seen someone did it in his dojo
Also prices would drop if we could trade faster and more efficiently
And now it encourages ppl to join/make clans so there is that

About energy drain NO1 LIKES IT we didnt forma our warframes learn their gimmick just to be unable to use their abilities
But at this point we are so overpowered that any benefit for us towards energy efficiency IN ANY WAY would be just harmful

We have so many means of dealing with it and we have so powerful weapons that we can handle it not to mention squad energy restore pads
Its like specters awesome idea just who have time to grind their BP craft them and use them each time on missions

Many of us already see energy reduction sortie as a "ok whatever" and we dont care since its not threat to us at all

Other thing to consider is endgame vs new player experience for me (mr30 with all i could rank up and get) there is nothing in warframe anymore to get i just do sortie and sp alerts just because they are there
like 2 months ago i took under my wing guy which was like mr 4 now he is 17 (well he dont play much) i gave him mods he was missing some prime bps he was misising
I took my time to teach him how to mod stuff properly told him which frames are easy pick for which missions
He never fought eidolons was with me twice on profit taker and he already says warframe is boring because of me he dont see any challenge in content and he realized he already have everything he need to play efficiently without effort and from now only way of progression for him is just MR fodder

And now imagine adding to the mix ANY benefit to our energy economy

Trust my im all in for any buff for us but in the end it will make things just worse

It's not about a buff, it's about leaving the parts of the game that are the games basis alone. (Warframe Abilities)

Why do we need weapons that do a million damage? We don't, it's a balancing issue. Fix the balancing issue instead of using cheap, unoriginal challenges such as stripping the one thing we play the game for - All the cool stuff we can do with our multiple Frames.

Ability cost increase is a bad idea. Imagine a 100 energy cost going to 200 with a 150 energy pool. Unless you're specifically building for energy this is a big no no.

If you don't like energy drain, play Nezha.

I could get behind starting with max energy every mission start. Not sure why this isn't a thing already. I think Warframe is the only game I know off that starts with less than 100% resources.

Energy is a hampering issue in the early game. However later in the game there's plenty of options to gain energy as such that it's not really an issue anymore. The only change I would like to see is a nerf to the damage translation from Ancient Disruptors so that they do a max amount of energy damage. Right now a lvl 100 Disruptor strips all your energy in 1 hit regardless of energy pool size. Makes it kinda silly.

If you want more starting energy I suggest slotting Preperation as your exilus. Like everything else in WF it comes down to choice. I tend to max efficiency and skip all other energy related modding. Which means that even if energize doesnt proc, each energy orb is worth atleast 1 "ultimate" use and my starting energy is enough for several ability uses before I start to get orbs dropping. It also allows you to recover much quicker around leeches or after getting hit by a disruptor no matter if energize procs or not.

And an energy cost increase per leech eximus would be a massive nerf to energy management compared to the current leeching from eximus units which is a non-stacking 5e/s.

2 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

If you want more starting energy I suggest slotting Preperation as your exilus. Like everything else in WF it comes down to choice. I tend to max efficiency and skip all other energy related modding. Which means that even if energize doesnt proc, each energy orb is worth atleast 1 "ultimate" use and my starting energy is enough for several ability uses before I start to get orbs dropping. It also allows you to recover much quicker around leeches or after getting hit by a disruptor no matter if energize procs or not.

And an energy cost increase per leech eximus would be a massive nerf to energy management compared to the current leeching from eximus units which is a non-stacking 5e/s.

This whole preparation mod thing should be removed and added to the game setup by default.

2 hours ago, Bastion2015 said:

It's not about a buff, it's about leaving the parts of the game that are the games basis alone. (Warframe Abilities)

Why do we need weapons that do a million damage? We don't, it's a balancing issue. Fix the balancing issue instead of using cheap, unoriginal challenges such as stripping the one thing we play the game for - All the cool stuff we can do with our multiple Frames.

You are correct but keep in mind for some of us its max hp and armor inaros + any weapon for others its X weapon + any frame
We experience warframe in different ways from one another what is blance for you can be chaos for someone else

IDK how old are you but if you are old enough to remember NES games there was a game called G.I. Joe The Atlantis Factor
Where you can use your joes with hand combat and had some weapons once you unlocked them

But there was also a rom hack of this game called i think contra 7 or contra 9 i dont remember
All it did was swap images of your joes but also defaulted you to your weapons (normally you always start with fists) and give you unlimited ammo

It was still exact same game but with unlimited ammo and no need to press SELECT button to scroll trough all of them to go back to fists or to weapon you want it felt like very different experience

You approached enemies and bosses in very different way knowing you can spam weapons without need to worry about ammo
You stil had option to play it normally as fist combat + weapons but that little change made game so different

So in the end perfect balance is not possible there always be someone who will feel system is unfair in his favor

All i can say what he have now is OK could be better but its not DRAMATIC
I say we should be happy no energy missions happens only as nightmare ones

Men ill say your game is tooooo easy, with pizzas you have infinite energy, heal an amo jesus, there is not auto dmg, tha is the reason because the potion sistem exist, to regenerate you a lil amount but they are limit and you have  to manange them 

5 hours ago, Bastion2015 said:

That was a blanket response. It was assigned to a Tech, they looked at it and decided I would be best served on the Forums and used a pre determined response for such requests. Hence, why I said Almost immediate.

Yeah, a "blanket response" from a bot, not a human. I highly doubt anyone at DE will see your letter until later today, if at all

Archived