Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

what are some good primary weapons for mastery rank 5 and how should I mod them?

_oxymaster_

Question

10 answers to this question

I cannot stress this enough, every weapons are great for those early levels. You'll be maxing them all for MR anyway, better do it when they're still useful. Because maxing early weapons on later stages is just chore.

You ask the right question, though: how to mod them. Your mods will be more impactful than the weapon itself. Make a habit of reading your mod descriptions so you'll familiarize yourself with the most useful ones.

The basic modding strategy is for the first two slots, always go for damage and/or multishot.

For third and fourth slots, crit chance and/or crit damage if you want to make a crit weapon, or just more damage and multishot.

Fifth and sixth slots are two elements, most popular are cold + toxin to get viral, corrosive also works really well for a while. of course you can (and will need to) change this according to your needs as you progress.

Last two slots usually for later mods that you probably don't have yet, so you can just put more damage, multishot, or elements there. Again that's only the basics and not a strict rule. Also, they don't need to be in that order, of course elements combinations will change depending on where you place them, ascending order from left to right, upper line then lower line.

The early game in warframe kinda sucks because all early-game guns are pretty bad. The other downside is that guns unlike melee weapons do not have stance mods to increase your mod capacity. The standard Hek with the Scattered Justice mod is probably the most powerful low MR gun in the game, and it is still decent without the mod.

The first truly good gun in the game is Acceltra at MR 8. Before that I would personally completely rely on Broken War, which is a quest reward, while leveling other stuff for MR xp.

15 minutes ago, Soy77 said:

The basic modding strategy is for the first two slots, always go for damage and/or multishot.

For third and fourth slots, crit chance and/or crit damage if you want to make a crit weapon, or just more damage and multishot.

Fifth and sixth slots are two elements, most popular are cold + toxin to get viral, corrosive also works really well for a while. of course you can (and will need to) change this according to your needs as you progress.

Last two slots usually for later mods that you probably don't have yet, so you can just put more damage, multishot, or elements there. Again that's only the basics and not a strict rule. Also, they don't need to be in that order, of course elements combinations will change depending on where you place them, ascending order from left to right, upper line then lower line.

The big detail you missed here is that for a low MR player it is never worth investing catalysts or forma into low MR weapons, and thus you can fit a maximum of 3 or 4 ranked up mods into a weapon IN TOTAL. The priority for mods is different when you have no polarities and max capacity of 30, when a mod like Split Chamber takes 50% of it.

For a weapon with no catalysts or polarities, my own recommendation would be a rank 5 Serration (Hornet Strike for secondaries, Point Blank for shotguns), and 2 rank 5 or 4 90% elemental mods matched for the faction you're going against. That's the bare minimum you can fit into 30 capacity, and if you have base polarities on a weapon, anything on top of that is extra, whether that is multishot, fire rate or something else.

In addition to the great advice from Soy77, I just want to add this.  At your rank, most weapons will be "MR Fodder", meaning you'd probably never use them again after leveling them to max rank and squeezing every last drop of MR affinity out of them.  Unless you are a completionist and are willing to spend a lot of platinum on slots, then you'd probably sell and forget most of them after you're done.  So don't feel compelled to potato (install an Orokin Catalyst) on every weapon.  Don't feel compelled to forma every weapon.  Save your blue potatoes and forma for the weapons that you actually enjoy using and plan to keep for the long haul.

Now back to your exact question: at MR5 (actually going as low as MR4), the best primary weapon I can recommend is the Hek shotgun.  If you slap a potato on it and mod it correctly, it can actually take you to the end of the starchart.  But if you cannot stand shotguns with tiny magazines, then it might not be for you.  Build one and test it out before you commit your potatoes and forma.

As for modding advice, it will be easier for you to show us your build first.  Otherwise, at least carefully read Soy77's advice and make sure you understand it all.  Let us know if anything is unclear.

If you want to go the easy way: get Hek, get a syndicate augment for it (scattered justice from Steel Meridian iirc) and mod for damage, elements, multishot. It's good enough for most of the star chart. You can later switch to Vaykor Hek and it'll be good enough for most of the Steel Path.

Otherwise, most guns will do just fine at lower levels with a half-decent mod setup. Modding usually depends on the weapon's base stats i.e. no point in using crit mods on a weapon with a base 10% and lower (there are exceptions later in the game). Also don't expect to fill all the mod slots, you don't need it in the early game and you really just can't do it without a catalys and some forma, that's okay, it'll come later in the game.

And if you're ever unsure on how to mod a specific thing, ask in the region or qna chat, there's usually plenty of helpful people around to either share a build or talk you through the modding process.

Interesting suggestions.

However for someone just starting we have to look at resources and such as well.

At MR5 there's a couple weapons that are decent. But you'll have to like their playstyle. The Hek was suggested to me as well, but I benched it after I maxed it and never used it again. I don't like slow firing limited range weapons that have a lot of reloading going on. The Hek is very strong, but not for everyone.

If I'd have to make a list then...

• Hek
  • Quanta (requirements are very steep, you'll gain access to better weapons before you're able to build it most likely)
  • Ignis

I would suggest to get the Atomos, that's just better than all others combined even though it's a secondary weapon.

Every rank has interesting weapons, but mind that some weapons only shine when modded properly. So they may seem crap when you get them.

For MR6, I'd get the Flux Rifle and the Rubico. Flux Rifle melts late game enemies like no tomorrow. Does require a few decent mods to be succesful though.

Other weapons after that I would suggest are Baza and Karak Wraith at MR7, the Fulmin at MR8, Ignis Wraith and Phantasma at MR9 and Amprex at MR10

Acceltra as mentioned is good, but it's also locked behind a hard grind for new players. I wouldn't suggest getting that weapon until you're further into the game.

base damage mod, toxin, electricity. that will give you some decent damage and especially against armored enemies. which weapon you use barely matters, whatever you are currently leveling. few, if any of the weapons available to you are worth keeping/investing, so it's all MR trash.

Opticor vandal which comes from an event that goes up all the time ! you will clear the starchart and then some, its just a bit of a grind to get but comes with a weapon slot and no crafting time so its worth it!

alternatively start grinding rep with fortuna and plan/build a primary kitgun, this will likely take days but you will end up with something good enough to  ̶c̶l̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶ cream the starchart and even good enough for steel path

(I built Tremor/gaze/splat but you can build whatever if you try that)

Archived