Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE, you owe us a working sprint toggle.

Traumtulpe

So I build Lavos, and guess what? His Vial Rush disables sprinting every time you cast it. I am not even surprised, just as you introduce more bugs than you fix with every update, you also unerringly introduce new ways to turn off the players sprint toggle.

Luckily, there is a simple solution to solve this forever. It's a bandaid, but just invert the current behavior, sprinting is default and slow walking needs to be toggled.

The issue could be that the Evolution Engine itself doesn't calculate state-based behavior for Lavos' ability, but momentum based values, which would complicate the issue.  Sadly, we don't really know how the Evolution Engine works in terms of its syntax and logic, but I support the idea of developing this feature.

If it is an issue of default states, a default sprint state could be nice, but it would severely conflict with the way players have been playing for a while, and might annoy some people in terms of muscle memory for a while.

Ideally, there would exist some toggle-able menu options.

2 minutes ago, SheikaVoid said:

The issue could be that the Evolution Engine itself doesn't calculate state-based behavior for Lavos' ability, but momentum based values, which would complicate the issue.

No, the issue is that the game forgets sprinting is toggled on. It does this on every loading screen, on many object interactions, on several ability casts, in the past even on every single melee attack.

Just now, Traumtulpe said:

No, the issue is that the game forgets sprinting is toggled on. It does this on every loading screen, on many object interactions, on several ability casts, in the past even on every single melee attack.

Apologies, I've not slept for a day and a half, may have misread.  As for state persistence, yeah, that should be pretty easy (from the experience I've had in game development), but, again, I've never used Evolution Engine, and it may just be really jank.

1 minute ago, SheikaVoid said:

I mean let's be fair.

Just tap shift again lol.

Yes. But after ten thousand times you think: Why not make it work properly? Why have such a basic function be bugged for 8 years? You could just, you know, fix it?

Just now, Traumtulpe said:

Yes. But after ten thousand times you think: Why not make it work properly? Why have such a basic function be bugged for 8 years? You could just, you know, fix it?

C'mon, these are only poor, 175 million dollar devs working for a Tencent-owned studio, cut them some slack, not like it's their job.

3 minutes ago, SheikaVoid said:

I mean let's be fair.

On a PS controller you have to hit L3, depressing the stick literally thousands of times has broken 2 controllers since I started playing this game. 

It's really bad when sprint is toggled off every single time you enter archwing and you end up toggling sprint like 15 times running a bounty or eidolons. It's not a gentle press of a button like every other action either, you are generally moving while toggling sprint for the 10th time in a mission and you are depressing the joystick while it's in some random direction that you're moving. It causes unnecessary wear on controllers and could be fixed with a simple QoL fix. Either invert the default like OP suggested or have a prefer sprint option. 

Seems like such a mindless thing to fix too. It has been addressed for certain abilities already but not others. Wisp 4 comes to mind. 

I dont have any use for walk. Ever. Not once. Ever. Why is it even a thing? 

I think somebody has been playing way too much Classic Doom. Like way, way too much Classic Doom, and not enough Half Life

If you're ever complaining about having to press Left Shift in this game, it means you aren't pressing Ctrl+Space nearly enough

58 minutes ago, SheikaVoid said:

I mean let's be fair.

You know... if we ("runners") want to use shift for running we would do it already.

1 hour ago, Traumtulpe said:

-snip-

You know what you can do? Turn left & right... using keyboards. ;)

Past Lavos I've seen this "sprint turn off" thing in new updates (e.g. Zephyr hover). I & probably others posted about this. Well, we are here.

1 hour ago, Traumtulpe said:

It accumulated over years, and tens of thousands of times that I had to reactivate sprinting because the game turned it off for me.

I have to agree tho, I don't really understands why it's still a thing since they already patched it on other frames

11 hours ago, Traumtulpe said:

It's a bandaid, but just invert the current behavior, sprinting is default and slow walking needs to be toggled.

I have a better idea just remove slow walking,why would to go slow?.also im pretty sure they wont be making your feature a thing cuz people are used to double taping or pressing the analog stick to sprint.

Isn't it the case that every ability that affects movement speed resets your movement to default "jogging" mode? Don't think it's a bug, but just the way it's designed.

Would be better if it reverts back to what you had before, but honestly I rarely run into this and I rather have them working on new things or things that are actually broken.

15 hours ago, SheikaVoid said:

I mean let's be fair.

Yeah, until it's thousands of hours of mission time later and you just snap like OP.

I totally get it. I'm not sure why your character isn't always sprinting by default anyway. There's no reason to walk anywhere in this game.

Just now, Voltage said:

Yeah, until it's thousands of hours of mission time later and you just snap like OP.

I totally get it. I'm not sure why your character isn't always sprinting by default anyway. There's no reason to walk anywhere in this game.

It's one #*!%ing movement of a finger.

Why does this of all things bother people.

15 minutes ago, SheikaVoid said:

It's one #*!%ing movement of a finger.

Why does this of all things bother people.

Use Zephyr's Hover OR Lavos' Vial Rush (and many more but whatever). They are spammable abilities. I want to use them MANY times per mission. I'm in "roll team" (I roll a lot). It would be hard to have "hold shift to run" & use different key to roll.

I don't mind toggling sprinting once per mission but... come one, That's too much. It probably adds 1/5 more key presses for my keyboard (wsad/arrows as one key). I don't even use Hover because of this stupid thing.

They could add "steering" (not very usable without mouse but oh well) option to Lavos... why they cannot fix this?

I wish we could up vote more than once. I may not agree with OP on everything, but this thread needs up votes, several upon several.

The cancel of sprint on vial rush is why I replaced it with roar. No other frame with movement skills run into this issue, it really needs a change/fix/whatever they wanna call it. It is annoying enough on Danse Macabre and such, but atleast those arent movement abilities.

4 hours ago, _R_o_g_u_e_ said:

Can someone give an example of a situation where you intentionally toggle sprint off?

Titania with Razorwing Blitz and high power strength. Else you just tap the button to move from one wall to the next.

Archived