New Player Experience: Oberon

nslay

Along with Rhino, Frost and maybe Nyx, Oberon was one of the other frames new players could get very early in the game. There aren't very many exotic frames for new players to get until... let's see... Europa? Europa drops Nova. But what about Mars? Excalibur (starter frame)... and Phobos? Mag (starter frame). Well... Nyx can probably be got from Invasions happening on early planets. Although, new players who join clans early do get access to quite a few Warframes! I didn't join a clan at first...

EDIT: It actually turns out that I didn't remember planet order correctly... Jupiter comes before Europa... and while a new player will have an easier time with Europa... I'd say Jupiter is not super early/new player friendly. Jupiter drops Valkyr and Wisp... although Wisp doesn't count for Quest reasons!

So what do new players have access to early in the Star Chart?

1. Rhino
  2. Excalibur (starter frame)
  3. Mag (starter frame)
  4. Hydroid (as a new player, I personally didn't try to fight Vay Hek until close to the end of the Star Chart).
  5. Revenant (new players don't have sentient cores and new players without Archwing quickly abandon open world bounties... KDrives do help a little but then, level 40-50 bounties are usually not new player friendly even in teams!).
  6. Gara (new players don't typically have the exotic materials from Plains of Eidolon... or mining equipment and fishing gear... same goes for other Revenant reasons).
  7. Garuda (new players don't typically have Kuva or other Revenant/Gara reasons)
  8. Hildryn (new players don't typically have standing or thermia or Exploiter Orb toroids! ... and other Revenant/Gara reasons).
  9. Baruuk (new players don't typically have Vox Solaris standing and other Gara/Revenant reasons).
  10. Nyx (I think Phorid manifestations can happen on early planets).
  11. Volt (Dojo)
  12. Zephyr (Dojo)
  13. Nezha (Dojo)
  14. Banshee (Dojo)
  15. Wukong (Dojo)
  16. Frost (Ceres boss drops his parts!)

New players in Dojos can enjoy buying parts for some exotic frames. I wasn't part of a clan at first as a new player! So what can new players (assuming they're not in a clan) play early in the Star Chart? Starter frames, Nyx, Frost and Rhino... wow... so exciting...

I think DE should consider putting Oberon back into the Eximus drop tables so that new players can passively acquire Oberon's parts and have another Warframe option to play with early in the Star Chart! And in Railjack, in place of Oberon, put future new frames! Oberon is probably a great frame for a new player to mess with!

... Well, that's assuming new players have figured out that they can buy Oberon's blueprint in the Market! I didn't know about blueprints in the Market until like I was at Pluto haha!

Edited by nslay
Forgot Wukong! And I forgot Frost!
  • Like 6

Oberon indeed was a great Frame option for beginners.

- nicely versatile, yet not specialized in any way that approaches gamebreakingly powerful
- filling the spot of early healer / support (lol e.g. Trinity at Pluto / Wisp & Harrow after most of the story)
- requiring resources that you may very well have amassed before even setting foot on Ceres

Which of these just screamed to DE that it would be anything other than a baffling decision to move him,
that players should be required to reach the final area of Railjack to gain access to this Frame?

Nevermind the whole nature theme vs dropping from space missions dissonance, of course.

... but then again, the water planet still drops the dual-form day & night Frame
while the water Frame drops from a dual-form boss on a planet with day & night cycles.

DE why.

Luv ya.

But seriously, why.

lol </rant>

Edited by NinjaZeku
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, nslay said:

Gara (new players don't typically have the exotic materials from Plains of Eidolon... or mining equipment and fishing gear... same goes for other Revenant reasons).

Is it so bad with just basic gears (fishing spear & mining thing)? As fair I can see it requires just 1st level in Ostrons. That's not too much. Am I missing something?

What about Inaros, Mirage & Titania? Limbo maybe.

Maybe Titania's specters might cause some problems and gathering is bad (I think first apothics are easier to get but I may be wrong).

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, quxier said:

Titania

Titania I did later in the game... and now I see why.  You will have reached Neptune, be MR 7 and have finished Second Dream before you can unlock the Silver Grove Quest. Mirage, you will have reached Pluto to unlock Hidden Messages. By the time you unlock Limbo's quest, you will have an Archwing making it much easier and more practical to get many of the slashed out frames. I think you can get access to Chroma's BP and parts pretty early, though the crafting costs are enormous!

Inaros is definitely feasible too... though a new player will have no prime weapons/frames and will have to decide whether to sacrifice those parts to buy Inaros' quest from Baro... given that Baro actually comes to an early planet relay like Strata or Larunda (EDIT: Baro is more for intermediate players... but a clever new player might be able to make good use of Baro early on).

Gara still needs open world bounties to get the parts and as noted for Revenant, that's not fun without an Archwing and definitely not new player friendly for the higher tier bounties. Yes, it is still so bad for new players.

EDIT: Oh right, having an Archwing doesn't mean you have the launcher. That's a Dojo blue print and an expensive one I remember (in Fish Oil, Grokdrul and Iradite... the latter two drop at x1 at low levels). Clan access aside, it still took me a while to amass the resources to build the launcher. Expensive in credits too! Though if a new player is clever, they'll know about Dark Sector missions... I got my credits through Alerts!

Edited by nslay

Inaros quest is long and needs MR5. Titania needs TSD (Neptune I believe), Mirage needs Sedna (one of the last planet).

Valkyr (Jupiter boss) and Frost (Ceres boss) are great, both high survivability (for new players) and not that energy hungry.
I don't know when we can expect people to get their first prime.

17 minutes ago, nslay said:

Gara still needs open world bounties to get the parts and as noted for Revenant, that's not fun without an Archwing and definitely not new player friendly for the higher tier bounties. Yes, it is still so bad for new players.

Not fun but doable? And you could gather some stuffs between "bounties point".

20-40...ah! This freaking "rescue camp" mission that requires either team or something like Mesa. Scratch that, Gara is not even "medium" player friendly.

1 minute ago, quxier said:

Not fun but doable? And you could gather some stuffs between "bounties point".

20-40...ah! This freaking "rescue camp" mission that requires either team or something like Mesa. Scratch that, Gara is not even "medium" player friendly.

I mean, some objectives are like 1-1.5km away! It's obscene! I did do bounties with KDrives for a while... it's really... I mean, when you're that new you're going to be playing on a team and your team is usually already at the phase objective while you're still KDriving there.

I remember bounties for the very first time. It really overloads the senses... keep in mind, you're used to say, peaceful Earth tiles right? You walk/sprint to the phase objective and you're hearing Bombard explosions left and right and there are drop ships and those butterfly drones everywhere! Don't get me wrong... that's really cool! And we take it for granted now! It's shocking for the first time! I high tailed out of there and didn't come to Cetus/Plains of Eidolon for a while!

• Like 1

I remember when Trinity was available in the first planets you pass through.

I remember this because she was my frame when I was but a wee bab of a Tenno.

Now you get.. no healy/support-oriented options instead of a different one. Unfortunate.

12 hours ago, (XBOX)GearsMatrix301 said:

A new player could definitely get Gara early.

There's still the limitations of KDrive and high tier bounties for new players, but it is doable.

Looking at the Warframe stats:

https://www.warframe.com/2020stats

There is indeed a very small uptick of Gara usage early on. Though it is less prevalent than Rhino, Oberon and Frost.

While Nyx is probably available for new players, they don't seem to get her at all (even smaller small uptick).

Interestingly, Inaros isn't picked up until late MR... A clever new player could probably get Inaros early, but I guess they don't want to spend prime parts on Ducats to buy the Quest from Baro.

But seriously... the stats for Oberon are pretty telling. Oberon was a new player-friendly frame (to get) and now he isn't. The usage stats are more support for putting Oberon back into the Eximus drop table for new players.