Jump to content

Parkour Racing


Recommended Posts

The conclave is a place to hone our skills, so why not include parkour?

Gamemode:

The mode would only require two players and would take place in a simulation where the environment is rapidly changing. There could be moving walls, falling platforms, falling floor tiles, and maybe even enemies. The opening spawn would place both players in this environment but with a clear wall separating them both so they can see each other. The environment of Player 1's side would mirror that of Player 2's that way everyone is faced with the same, or relatively the same situations, the variable being the AI enemies if they become a part of this mode.

Frame and Weapon Balancing:

Warframe and weapon loadouts for this mode I think should be limited to the base stats of the weapon/ frame. This is because of the imbalance that mods give to long term players of conclave. When your first experience into an optional game mode is getting treated like someone else's punching bag because you lack the mods they have it's not all that surprising that most of those players will just walk away and never return. While this still might happen with base weapons/ frames the amount of items a new player to the mode will require to be on a level playing field with conclave vets will be significantly smaller, and easier to obtain at least for this mode, but also tying into their progression of the main game. Exclusively using base stats will also reduce the work load of the devs that maintain conclave as they will not need to modify every new weapon/ frame that comes out so it doesn't break conclave.

Longevity/ New Player Experience:

The benefits of this mode lies with the low player requirement. Even if the mode ends up having a small population it would only require two to start and function normally instead of playing a lonely game of ball with one other person that likes to hit you upside the head as is the case with Lunaro. This mode would also remove, or at least decrease the likelihood of players quitting as they will not be getting farmed out by that one guy that grinded for a full set of conclave mods to bully unmodded newbies that attempt to try conclave. Not only that but this mode ties in with the fundamental method of navigation players use to traverse maps, and it might even assist new players in becoming better at navigating some of the trickier tile sets like the reworked Corpus Gas City exterior without falling out of the map dozens of times, or Maro's weekly ayatan hunts. And this comes back to the clear wall divider mentioned in the beginning. The purpose of the clear wall divider is not only to see how far your opponent has progressed, but what strategies they used which in turn gives new players the opportunity to copy what they see. Tricks like aim gliding after bullet jumping, or rolling through security barriers to not get knocked down are all things new players could learn a lot easier here.

Rep Gain:

Now for rep gain, considering the sheer unpopularity of PvP within Warframe, there is probably going to be people that will quit when they see they are not going to win because they will lose out on rep gain either way. To counteract this, and instead of swinging a ban hammer around I think that if a player loses a match they should get 50 to 75% of the rep that a victory would have awarded them. It's better that second place get something than the potential would be winner getting host migrated and auto failing/ auto winning. The conclave rep gained from this would also introduce a gentler system of getting the rep to buy the proper mods to fight on an equal footing with others in conclave.

Other Stuff:

"Why not just join a clan and use their parkour room?"

Because new players won't know clans even exist until they bump into a dojo exclusive item. Also I think actually racing another player instead of beating my own, or others old records would be more fun.

"Can't new players just practice parkour in Maro's Ayatan Hunts?"

They can, but they aren't really progressing on anything and the timer on the vault sealing doesn't help. I also doubt many new players will even use that mission that way over just playing the core game.

 

 

Thoughts?

Edited by --Councilor_Vay_Hek--
Minor clarification
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, --Councilor_Vay_Hek-- said:

The purpose of the clear wall divider is not only to see how far your opponent has progressed, but what strategies they used which in turn gives new players the opportunity to copy what they see. Tricks like aim gliding after bullet jumping, or rolling through security barriers to not get knocked down are all things new players could learn a lot easier here.

I think the wall would prevent this rather than facilitate it.

The player's focus is likely to be in front of them as they try to navigate the map. To pay attention to a player in an adjacent room would require turning one's attention to the side. Literally, if you're running on par with them, you'd have to turn a full 90 degrees to see them, and good luck navigating if you try that. Contrast that with both players running the same course: if the other player is ahead of you, you don't have to turn your attention anywhere to see where they're going. That's always been the benefit to single-track races. That and just the simple visceral feeling of racing against someone you can visually see and try to catch up to.

This also provides more interesting dynamics: if a player is ahead, they'd have to deal with certain situations - like enemies - first. They're incentivized to do it quickly so that they aren't stalled for long, but players behind them would get an effective pass, closing a potential gap by a little bit. That keeps things interesting.

(This can also be improved by having a 'track line' that shows other players's paths through the map. That way, one can glean information even if the other person is so far ahead they can't be seen past obstacles.)

EDIT: In case it isn't clear, I would very much be for this kind of addition at least so long as it isn't an excuse to ignore the other bits of Conclave even further. It's something that would play directly to Warframe's unique strength in the mobility department, which hasn't really ever been highlighted on its own.

Edited by Tyreaus
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tyreaus said:

I think the wall would prevent this rather than facilitate it.

The player's focus is likely to be in front of them as they try to navigate the map. To pay attention to a player in an adjacent room would require turning one's attention to the side. Literally, if you're running on par with them, you'd have to turn a full 90 degrees to see them, and good luck navigating if you try that. Contrast that with both players running the same course: if the other player is ahead of you, you don't have to turn your attention anywhere to see where they're going. That's always been the benefit to single-track races. That and just the simple visceral feeling of racing against someone you can visually see and try to catch up to.

This also provides more interesting dynamics: if a player is ahead, they'd have to deal with certain situations - like enemies - first. They're incentivized to do it quickly so that they aren't stalled for long, but players behind them would get an effective pass, closing a potential gap by a little bit. That keeps things interesting.

(This can also be improved by having a 'track line' that shows other players's paths through the map. That way, one can glean information even if the other person is so far ahead they can't be seen past obstacles.)

EDIT: In case it isn't clear, I would very much be for this kind of addition at least so long as it isn't an excuse to ignore the other bits of Conclave even further. It's something that would play directly to Warframe's unique strength in the mobility department, which hasn't really ever been highlighted on its own.

That's a good point about the divider. Keeping both players on the same track would also be much easier to develop as well since the mirror function wouldn't need to exist without it either, and as you said it would provide an easier line of sight to encourage mimicry of new movement techniques.

What I was originally thinking was that newer players might see some unfamiliar movements and potentially either copy, or ask the other players how they did that during the intermission between rounds. Looking at the comments on YT videos, or on the forum about the MR 8 mastery test parkour seems to be a bit of a challenge for some people even fairly late into the game.

While there would be potential for players to use it to bypass conclave it also provides a way for newbies to conclave to get the necessary mods to play on a level playing field as conclave vets, or older players to give it another chance. Frankly I think there might be some potential for the conclave population to grow as a result of newbies not being treated as punching bags upon queuing up.

Realistically speaking however given the current state of conclave I wouldn't expect massive growth right away. I think the mode would have to be introduced to new players, and some how encourage them to acquire mods first before attempting original conclave. Their first impressions of the mode will determine whether or not they decide to stick around. The goal is pretty much to soften the impact of the inexperienced getting brutally pummeled out of the mode for good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this is a good idea. There are of course some details to be worked out, but in general it's promising. As long as you remove all passives, mods, and interactions, so that it's purely skill based instead of build-based, then it's good to go! 

Sporadically over the last few years the devs have mentioned a "Warframe Track & Field" mode that was in development, which I think probably includes something similar to this. However, the devs have been weirdly silent about this over the last year or so. Perhaps it's going to be the big Tennocon 2021 reveal! (I'm being hopeful, it's probably just another content island with new resources and a new progression system that increases our power from 2000% to 2001%). [I would love to eat these words very soon]

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, --Councilor_Vay_Hek-- said:

While there would be potential for players to use it to bypass conclave

Just to highlight this one bit:

I feel like this isn't a good way to frame it. To me, an idea like this is "bypassing Conclave" the same way buying High Voltage from Baro is "bypassing Hive Sabotage". Or Orphix missions are "bypassing" Eidolons. They're different way of doing things, and they'll each cater to different people. Some people are going to prefer shooty-shooty bang-bang, some won't. Some people might prefer one one day, the other the next.

Plus if we start viewing it as "bypassing Conclave" then it'd be shot down by default, like Universal Medallions. PvP rewards should be earned via PvP - so the philosophy goes. Well, this is still PvP, still competitive, still under the Conclave umbrella. It just takes the guns and swords out of the equation. Or at least shooting those guns at other players...

(Also I think the effect on regular Conclave is a little more complicated than even that, because this adds in a PvP element that can break monotony. If I try to 1v1 Sevek, I'm getting my arse handed to me 100/100 times. A race might be different - or at least a different pace of getting my butt kicked. That "staving off burnout" element alone could help boost Conclave popularity. Especially since the current alternative is "don't play Conclave".)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tyreaus said:

Just to highlight this one bit:

I feel like this isn't a good way to frame it. To me, an idea like this is "bypassing Conclave" the same way buying High Voltage from Baro is "bypassing Hive Sabotage". Or Orphix missions are "bypassing" Eidolons. They're different way of doing things, and they'll each cater to different people. Some people are going to prefer shooty-shooty bang-bang, some won't. Some people might prefer one one day, the other the next.

Plus if we start viewing it as "bypassing Conclave" then it'd be shot down by default, like Universal Medallions. PvP rewards should be earned via PvP - so the philosophy goes. Well, this is still PvP, still competitive, still under the Conclave umbrella. It just takes the guns and swords out of the equation. Or at least shooting those guns at other players...

(Also I think the effect on regular Conclave is a little more complicated than even that, because this adds in a PvP element that can break monotony. If I try to 1v1 Sevek, I'm getting my arse handed to me 100/100 times. A race might be different - or at least a different pace of getting my butt kicked. That "staving off burnout" element alone could help boost Conclave popularity. Especially since the current alternative is "don't play Conclave".)

Actually that's a really good point. It still meets the requirements of it being a competition between players, while it doesn't involve killing the other player Lunaro had already proved that didn't have to be the case all the time.

With the low player requirement to start up the mode this should be a fairly safe investment, or at least I think so.

Edited by --Councilor_Vay_Hek--
Minor clarification
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...