Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wall running instead of wall hanging.

Prexades

18 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Will you use the wall-run option if you're bulletjumping everywhere already? 🤔

The only reason I bullet jump everywhere is because wall hops drive me nuts.

It's a flat out pain to climb up walls with them, especially if the wall is even slightly uneven.

58 minutes ago, Aldain said:

The only reason I bullet jump everywhere is because wall hops drive me nuts.

It's a flat out pain to climb up walls with them, especially if the wall is even slightly uneven.

Most places are quite climbeable, and some are doable with practice, but yeah, there are some nightmares. Earth in particular is a tricky one with all the organic shapes (though the more Grineer-influenced places are easier to navigate). That’s the choice though, isn’t it? The ease of bulletjump or the necessary practice of wall climbing. And if a player’s going for speed completions, bulletjump wins over the less-efficient wall-hop/wall-run

The Corpus design lends itself well to the redesigned tilesets so far, but the Grineer have all these organic and visually noisy shapes. I’m looking forward to seeing how they’ll keep the unique look of the Grineer (quite enclosed, almost claustrophobic places) while making it easier to wall-climb (a lot of the tilesets were from a pre-Parkour 2.0 era)

11 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

conceptually, sure.. but we also wanna look cool too, and you just can't make hopping on a wall look good.. running is far more stylish and more fun, anyone who's played Titanfall 2 will know.

Wallrunning - Titanfall GIF - Titanfall WallRunning Wall - Discover & Share  GIFs | Titanfall, Gif, Cool gifs

I think a good compromise would be to program a separate animation for smooth and rough walls:  with  specific walls that are straight and smooth, you could wall-run, whilst hopping would be used to navigate the rest where running would otherwise cause issues such as clipping and falling off. that way we can enjoy both: wall-hops don't lose functionality, but we can still enjoy proper wall-running from time to time. of course, future tilesets can be made with rooms that have more straight walls sometimes as well as curved ones.

I am also a Titanfall fan. Which is why I must also point out that even in those games, people VERY RARELY wallrun outside of TF2's campaign, instead bouncing from wall to wall as to be less of a target. That game also has large, open maps the walls of which were built from the ground up to allow running. They have even added metal meshes as facade elements that smooth out the shape and make them more usable as running surfaces. Secondly is that running is the only viable option in a first person game as a bouncy hop along a wall would likely be uncomfortable for the user to see. Motion sickness. 

Though your idea of a contextual automatic animation blending between running and hopping is neat and would work. An another option would be not to run or hop, but more like a glide or a slide. This could also be contextual as to a player's movement speed. The faster you are the less "hoppy" you become. At some point you just sort of glide along a wall like one of those supercooled magnets along a metal rail. 

But an another question here that needs to be addressed is the necessity of it. As someone pointed out that already, practically no one uses the wall traversal tools because far more efficient forms of traversal exist: void dash and bullet jump.
This is a fate shared by things like K-drives, archwings and environmental traversal options (ziplines, poles etc). They are there and are visually and mechanically far cooler options to just hitting 5 followed by ctrl+space a few times. 
I am not saying that simply because a more meta option exists, DE shouldn't bother with it. It is merely a point of consideration with regards to how much work might be needed to implement it. If it's just a mater of rigging up some new animations, matching those with audio and visual FX then I don't see an issue. But if the process requires parts of the whole movement system to be torn out and rebuilt and then be tweaked and fixed over months and years from all the bugs, then I wonder if it's worth it. 

Archived