Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Where Is Scarlet Spear? (Consoles Got Absolutely Disrespected)

So back when Scarlet Spear dropped, it was near enough unplayable due to the bugs and unbalanced stuff. They quickly released hotfixes for PC players who got to experience the fixed SS for weeks. We, the console players, got the fixes with only 2 days left in Scarlet Spear. I remember many people asking for an extension in time so we could enjoy the fixed event. Those requests were denied and we apparently would get to experience them when it came around again, so here I am asking... where is Scarlet Spear? The concept was so cool. It still needs work, but it was so cool. Too bad we didn't get to really enjoy it like PC players did. 

It was probably shelved because Squad Link was horrible. 

Scarlet Spear came back in the form of Orphix Venom (I mean that as in, it is the replacement, not that it is similar mechanically) and was the second wave of the sentient invasion of The New War. 

The third invasion will probably be yet another mission. 

I don't expect Scarlet Spear to return. 

Good riddance. 

5 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

It was probably shelved because Squad Link was horrible. 

Scarlet Spear came back in the form of Orphix Venom (I mean that as in, it is the replacement, not that it is similar mechanically) and was the second wave of the sentient invasion of The New War. 

The third invasion will probably be yet another mission. 

I don't expect Scarlet Spear to return. 

Good riddance. 

Having people work together as a community was awesome. What do you mean? 

2 minutes ago, (PSN)Rainbow_Neos1 said:

I mean... you yourself admit it was so buggy they only started to get it fixed for console at the last minute. 

People hated it for a lot of reasons, not because it was coop but because it didn't work out very well in practice. I personally love the coop aspect of Warframe and am hoping the third orb will be a true raid style mission that requires player cooperation. 

I'm not saying it will never return, I don't have a crystal ball, but a lot of people had a lot of issues with the implementation, and sometimes DE tries things and they just don't work. 

20 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I mean... you yourself admit it was so buggy they only started to get it fixed for console at the last minute. 

People hated it for a lot of reasons, not because it was coop but because it didn't work out very well in practice. I personally love the coop aspect of Warframe and am hoping the third orb will be a true raid style mission that requires player cooperation. 

I'm not saying it will never return, I don't have a crystal ball, but a lot of people had a lot of issues with the implementation, and sometimes DE tries things and they just don't work. 

With the fixed bugs, change a couple things, and then you have an awesome yearly event. The concept is what matters. Implementation can be changed. For example, the relay hopping thing was ridiculous. That should be removed. The event implemented coop in a way it's never been implemented. It was awesome.

Speaking of raids... DE said those would come back. They said Plague Star would be back last year. They said SS would be back. I think a big problem that these promises just don't come through. 

1 minute ago, (PSN)Rainbow_Neos1 said:

Speaking of raids... DE said those would come back. They said Plague Star would be back last year. They said SS would be back. I think a big problem that these promises just don't come through. 

The problem is DE wants to please everyone, so they will always say it will return, even when something they made is hopelessly buggy and spaghetti coded on their end. 

"Too many bugs, but we'll bring it back later". 

Like you said... how many times have we heard that? 

This event alongside the plague star was a good event. It was light, fast, flexible and quite beautiful when it was in space.

Now we have this orhpix venom thing....Sometimes I get the impression that DE loves to put in bad stuff like the orphix venom.

When DE added this orphix venom to the corpus railjack I didn't like to see the necramechs dragging their heads in the doors and colliding all the time in corners... and I think it was a poorly done event.

1 hour ago, Tesseract7777 said:

The problem is DE wants to please everyone, so they will always say it will return, even when something they made is hopelessly buggy and spaghetti coded on their end. 

"Too many bugs, but we'll bring it back later". 

Like you said... how many times have we heard that? 

The thing is that they actually fixed Scarlet. IF it came back in the state in the way it ended, it would work. 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb (PSN)Rainbow_Neos1:

Yeah, making people sit in space and fight Sentients for 30 minutes on a single uplink because you had to rely on random players to be actually on the ground to send kill codes was the pinnacle of good ideas!

Sarcastic Emma Stone GIF

I also can't remember getting disrespected. If the event wouldn't have had this major flaw of reliance on the squads having the correct ratio (or if it enforced the correct ratio) to avoid the slog it could become in space I wouldn't really complain about the event.

Tl;dr - drop the link squad requirement and remove/reduce the completion bonus, then I'll be happy. 

Disclaimer: console tenno, on Oceanic. I.e. low population server. I'll explain why this is important for my opinion/experience. 

The rewards were far too variable for my liking. If I got into Flotilla 1 at the start of the 'cycle', and if the teams were fairly spread, everything worked well. I could happily complete two flotillas and earn some serious creds.

If not, then the chance to complete even one Flotilla was quite low, meaning I could be switching teams and trying to complete just one Flotilla for the whole 1.5-2hrs and still not get the completion bonus.

In both scenarios I'm putting in my best efforts, but in one scenario I'm getting less than a quarter of the rewards. 

I like that coordinated squads can improve their completion time to get more rewards. But having the rewards heavily skewed seems to be a detriment in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Kaotyke said:

Space Team's progress is gradual and doesnt require Kill Codes to progress, but Kill Codes CAN give it a temporary burst of upload speed.

I don't know how DE keeps failing to think of simple solutions like that.

23 hours ago, Aldain said:

I don't know how DE keeps failing to think of simple solutions like that.

Everyone would go space. DE wouldn't like that. Lol. "You aren't playing ALL of our content so we're gonna make you."

On 2021-06-13 at 12:07 AM, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

Did we? I don't remember any issue that made it unplayable

On 2021-06-13 at 12:03 AM, (XBOX)GearsMatrix301 said:

I didn’t experience any major issues with Scarlet Spear on Xbox.

Perhaps it was just playstation, but space was buggy af. It was horrible. 

3 hours ago, (XBOX)GearsMatrix301 said:

I didn’t experience any major issues with Scarlet Spear on Xbox.

3 hours ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

Did we? I don't remember any issue that made it unplayable

Dont worry. We Beta tested it for you before you got it.

1 hour ago, Kaotyke said:

Dont worry. We Beta tested it for you before you got it.

Lol. Nah. What you did was get to play the event for a reasonable time after it was fixed. We got two days with the fixed version. I promise you, most console players would love to be caught up with PC at all times and would willing accept the bugs and speedy hotfixes along with it. We deal with an absolute ton of bugs as is even with it being "beta tested". In reality, all warframe players are unpaid beta testers. Being the second hand playerbase doesn't feel great. Don't act like you did anything. You just played the game like we did. Only difference is you didn't wait months for the fixes. 

5 hours ago, (PSN)Deeceem said:

Yeah, making people sit in space and fight Sentients for 30 minutes on a single uplink because you had to rely on random players to be actually on the ground to send kill codes was the pinnacle of good ideas!

Sarcastic Emma Stone GIF

I also can't remember getting disrespected. If the event wouldn't have had this major flaw of reliance on the squads having the correct ratio (or if it enforced the correct ratio) to avoid the slog it could become in space I wouldn't really complain about the event.

Yep, this was by far the biggest complaint I had about the event. I'm not about to sit in missions for over an hour again waiting for codes, that's ridiculous.

Buggy af, and some of the try hards on the ground got snippy if you didn't rock up with either a Limbo (because he was utterly busted. Could stop sentients for ever and could fire at stuff outside of the rift back then), or Mesa because Mesa go brr! and delete everything. Oh and a zaw with Exodia Contagion becuase that deleted the Condrixes.

In space you had to pray to RNGesus that the squad link didn't break and you stopped receiving kill codes, which happened way too often.

The ONLY thing that was great about the event was arcanes wee accessible to those who can't physically stand doing tridolons, and guess what? That got some people salty af because "oh noes, something we had exclusive access to isnt exclusive any more".

Yeah I'll stop now. 

Tl;dr; event could have been fun, but was a poopstorm that I'm glad to never see again.

14 minutes ago, Butterfly85 said:

Buggy af, and some of the try hards on the ground got snippy if you didn't rock up with either a Limbo (because he was utterly busted. Could stop sentients for ever and could fire at stuff outside of the rift back then), or Mesa because Mesa go brr! and delete everything. Oh and a zaw with Exodia Contagion becuase that deleted the Condrixes.

In space you had to pray to RNGesus that the squad link didn't break and you stopped receiving kill codes, which happened way too often.

The ONLY thing that was great about the event was arcanes wee accessible to those who can't physically stand doing tridolons, and guess what? That got some people salty af because "oh noes, something we had exclusive access to isnt exclusive any more".

Yeah I'll stop now. 

Tl;dr; event could have been fun, but was a poopstorm that I'm glad to never see again.

Seconded.

And tbh, I hope they keep coming up with new stuff for each "The War Within Front Against The Sentient Yearly Event Stuff", because... neither I have been a fan of yet.

SS because, you said it. 

And Orphix Venom because, it was just so... dang, repetitive and boring. To get a decent score, you needed to do about an hour run. Great way to get arcanes, but I hardly touched the event, because it was just so dang boring, and I haven't done it since except to unlock Railjack nodes. I really don't enjoy doing the same thing over and over, and over again for a straight hour. Watching paint dry might be at least AS enjoyable, if not more. 

I am hoping the next Front against The Sentients is not so horrifically tedious and boring. 

Right now DE is batting 0 on major sentient events, as far as I'm concerned. 

Also, people should have known in advance from simple math, but all the fears of Eidolon hunters too, that the new Orphix Venom Railjack chances to get arcanes would ruin arcane prices, but it is so awful to do and such a terrible grind in comparison to tridolons those fears turned out to be almost completely unfounded. Who wants to optimize to run long Orphix Venom/Taxijack runs for an rnj chance at arcanes when you can do 6x3 in one night eidolon and get way more bites at the apple way more quickly and efficiently? 

Every remnant so far of the "war against the sentients" has so far been a sad failure in game. 

I appreciate they are trying, but so far the sentient presence in the game has been pretty unimpressive. 

I'm hoping they rework Scarlet Spear before they bring it back, or even give us a new event with the following:

- actual fights vs fleets of Sentient Fighters and Crewships: we have mods for killing them but they are useless right now. instead of the few fighters that followed us just to shoot the satellite in the original event, we should be engaged by dozens of their fighters at once.

- occasional - but not too frequent -  Orphix appearances to make Necramechs relevant in this event as well. you'd be warned when an Orphix is about to land and some broken mechs warped just outside of the zone for non-mech owners to participate. 

- reasons to go back to Lua or fight the Ropalolyst and tie those into the event as well: nothing is stopping them from taking over Lua and Jupiter, nobody has any reason to fight them after getting Wisp and Vengeful Revenant.  

I know something like this would take time, but I'm willing to wait: I just want the next steps of The New War to feel like the War is genuinely heating up again (and I want to square off with Sentients in my Railjack that I've invested time and resources into).

I didn't look at the Scarlet Spear event as an event. I saw it as a stress test and a tech demo for DE. A way for them to actually test a piece of tech to see if it would work outside of "laboratory conditions" of their internal server and QA testing groups. Why was it made an event if it was just a tech test? So people would actually participate for the shinies if nothing else. 

Seeing as how it hasn't returned, they are either doing fundamental reworks to the system or saw that it did not live up to spec or had some near-catastrophic flaws in concept and design resulting in it being a tech that has been mothballed for future development. 

A lot of Scarlet Spear and Squad Link in particular is predicated on the concept that people play Railjack. It is primarily about Railjack missions and trying to combine ground missions and Railjack missions. And while I have not been a consistently active player in the past months, I have been led to believe that people don't really play RJ content. And there is also the fact that people likely would not approve of having some secondary objective popping up in their farming speed-run and people in RJ would not approve of being stonewalled by ground teams who can't be arsed to do the optional secondary objectives that the RJ teams need to be done. 

While I would not go so far as to say that Scarlet Spear is never returning. "Never" is a very big word that can be proven wrong at a moment's notice. It is likely that it's return would likely be tied to some upgrade they have done to the system to test the tech again.
But as for Squad Link, I'll say that I will be hopeful for the system only after they get it to work within a squad in the Railjack missions. Right now, in the corpus missions, when the ground part is instigated, EVERYONE has to board the Corpus ship, while as in the original TennoCon 2019 presentation, the team could be split up. If they get it to work reliably in a single squad where the team can be split, then we can look into linking up multiple squads. 

12 hours ago, (PSN)Rainbow_Neos1 said:

Perhaps it was just playstation, but space was buggy af. It was horrible. 

I’m not doubting your experience, but for me there were no major bugs. The entire event went pretty smoothly, and I grinded the hell out of it.

So all I’m saying is, “it was only functional for 2 days for console players” is not a particularly strong argument because that experience is clearly not universal.

23 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

was probably shelved because Squad Link was horrible. 

And squad link was also kind of a lie. You can’t link two squads of 4 with a P2P connection like we were led to believe. Cant have a group of 4 in space and a group of 4 on earth in the same instance playing at the same time in this game. Not only that but there were many instances where a groups generating codes then used their own codes. It was ambitious but way to ambitious considering WFs limitations. We were lead to believe “squads would connect with other squads in real time all across the game”. (25:45)

And man that left a bad taste in my mouth. Was so excited for the “mother.......ing battle of ENDOOOORRR!” And we got scarlet spear. Mtv Party GIF by GooWoo Media
man and we still don’t have any sort of atmospheric flight or even a atmospheric loading screen. This was the moment my eyes were open to WF limitations and false hype. 

Archived