steel essense assassin guy ....

_Anise_

Question

soo I was on Ivara, testing out companions on steel path and the assassin guy shows up right as my pet dies, so Ivara is stealth, I go operator/ stealth dash over to my dog and start reviving him, what I see next maybe have shocked me if I wasn't laughing at how stupid it looked, I see the Ivara flying past my screen sideways upside down after being punted by the assassin guy!! who instantly turns to my still invisible operator mid revive and one hits me back to Ivara followed by near instant death....

what is this guys deal vs stealth ? he isn't canceling stealth with some kind of aura or anything smart that could be interactive and require counter play.

he just walks up attacks right though the only defense stealth frames have like it doesn't exist ?

19 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Kraethius said:

Operator in void form is completely immune to all attacks so I doubt that's what happened.

that is why I went operator! guess I didn't realize about the active ability thing! but still he attacked my warframe while I wasn't in it, I didn't think that was even possible ? it was initially in stealth! but out of stealth when I saw it go flying past my operator/screen.

4 hours ago, (PSN)drpunk-yo said:

if you disable invisibility and cast it again after they've spawned the invisibility will work.

next time I will try this see if it makes a difference ! otherwise I don't understand how squish stealth frames are supposed to fight him

3 hours ago, RazerXPrime said:

Acolyte does not see through void mode or stealth. They can guess your location based on ability/weapon use

this cant be the case, like I said the flicker thing started, I jumped right to operator, I have also used entirely silent weapons, he always just makes a b-line for where I am ! and I wasn't shooting!

4 hours ago, Kraethius said:

3. Frame takes damage which kills the operator

It could have been this but I didn't realize that a frame could be attacked while the user was in operator!  guess maybe the invulnerability is disabled on both ends if an ability is left running?

was just assuming he attacked me in void after attacking my empty frame but its quite possible him punting my ivara killed it, then forced my operator to die since my frame was dead, it all happened in a split second with really no way for me to react

16 hours ago, (PSN)drpunk-yo said:

although I've not confirmed myself, latest comments suggest that when acolytes (or stalker) spawn they will see through an active invisibility but if you disable invisibility and cast it again after they've spawned the invisibility will work.

confirmed (kind of) initially made a b-line for me turned off on and was taken almost immediately out of stealth

there were still lots of enemies around.turned off on, take out of stealth again, jumped to a different location still charging me stealth off, on and out again.

finally after several jumps I was able to turn stealth back on and it stuck and the assassin just stood around like a pudding

2 hours ago, 16Bitman said:

Once the Warframe only has 2 Health left, your operator will be forced back into the Warframe, at this point you can still try to heal your Warframe, but you will most likely get downed by the next hit before you can react.

convinced this has to be what happened!

They can tell your general location, moreso if you're attacking. However, what caught my eye was:

2 hours ago, _Anise_ said:

who instantly turns to my still invisible operator mid revive and one hits me back to Ivara followed by near instant death....

Operator in void form is completely immune to all attacks so I doubt that's what happened.

1 hour ago, Kraethius said:

Not when frame has an ability active. I dunno if it's the frame that takes damage or the operator, but having an ability active and going into void as operator does not grant invulnerability like void does without ability active.

And to OP, although I've not confirmed myself, latest comments suggest that when acolytes (or stalker) spawn they will see through an active invisibility but if you disable invisibility and cast it again after they've spawned the invisibility will work.

22 minutes ago, (PSN)drpunk-yo said:

Not when frame has an ability active. I dunno if it's the frame that takes damage or the operator, but having an ability active and going into void as operator does not grant invulnerability like void does without ability active.

And to OP, although I've not confirmed myself, latest comments suggest that when acolytes (or stalker) spawn they will see through an active invisibility but if you disable invisibility and cast it again after they've spawned the invisibility will work.

Nice observation - I've had that happen to me a few times but I didn't connect the dots. But there's some funky stuff going on.

1. The acolyte sees through void mode if the frame has an active ability

2. Acolyte attacks operator, but deals no damage

It's the 1 that's weird. If I had to fathom a guess, some sort of flag for active ability stays on and passes to the operator which bypasses the invisibility caused by void mode.

17 minutes ago, Kraethius said:

Nice observation - I've had that happen to me a few times but I didn't connect the dots. But there's some funky stuff going on.

1. The acolyte sees through void mode if the frame has an active ability

2. Acolyte attacks operator, but deals no damage

It's the 1 that's weird. If I had to fathom a guess, some sort of flag for active ability stays on and passes to the operator which bypasses the invisibility caused by void mode.

I think it might be the 3 that's causing the confusion. As I said, I dunno if it's the frame or operator taking the damage (i.e. frame ability active, go into void) but I'd lean towards it being the frame taking the damage. And the animation you get looks like your operator took damage.

The place I mostly see this interaction is in the Kela De Thaym fight where you can hide from the missiles in void mode as operator. But if you have an ability active on the frame then you're gonna get downed by the missiles. Thing is that frame and operator are stood together so it's hard to tell who's taken the damage.

But if it is frame that takes the damage then what's happening is the acolyte is attacking the frame (the one they can see when they spawn despite the active invisibility) and because frame is downed the operator is transferred back to the downed frame.

Edit:- Reading again, 1 never happens. Acolyte "sees" frame and attacks it.

7 minutes ago, (PSN)drpunk-yo said:

I think it might be the 3 that's causing the confusion. As I said, I dunno if it's the frame or operator taking the damage (i.e. frame ability active, go into void) but I'd lean towards it being the frame taking the damage. And the animation you get looks like your operator took damage.

The place I mostly see this interaction is in the Kela De Thaym fight where you can hide from the missiles in void mode as operator. But if you have an ability active on the frame then you're gonna get downed by the missiles. Thing is that frame and operator are stood together so it's hard to tell who's taken the damage.

But if it is frame that takes the damage then what's happening is the acolyte is attacking the frame (the one they can see when they spawn despite the active invisibility) and because frame is downed the operator is transferred back to the downed frame.

Edit:- Reading again, 1 never happens. Acolyte "sees" frame and attacks it.

I just tried it with Ivara. The acolyte ignored the frame, coming straight for the operator. Moved next to the frame to check if it'll take damage; it did and it 'killed' my operator. Frame lived though.

Edit: Oh yeah, Ivara was prowling.

5 minutes ago, Kraethius said:

Frame lived though.

Well that complicates matters.

Good luck trying to work out exactly what's going on.

Seems like it's far more nuanced that I'm willing to try and get my head around.

All times I've had this happen I go straight from operator in void to downed frame wondering wtf happened. But that's mostly eidolon and I have little interaction with acolytes.

6 minutes ago, (PSN)drpunk-yo said:

Well that complicates matters.

Good luck trying to work out exactly what's going on.

Seems like it's far more nuanced that I'm willing to try and get my head around.

All times I've had this happen I go straight from operator in void to downed frame wondering wtf happened. But that's mostly eidolon and I have little interaction with acolytes.

Tested with Nekros this time. Angst kept trying to attack the operator, although I think it might've been proximity based since she dropped her target for a brief moment a couple of times before teleporting on top of the operator.

It's pretty weird. Getting kinda tired so not gonna test anymore right now. Maybe in the evening.

8 hours ago, (PSN)drpunk-yo said:

definitely true as my Ivara owned Shadow Stalker as I learned to wait until he spawns then she cloaked and totally owned him

If you have an active ability running before you switch to your operator, you Warframe will only get a 90% damage reduction instead of the usual invincibility, this also applies if it is only a timed ability that expires while your Warframe is still inactive.

Your Warframe will still be a viable target for the enemy AI when it is in this 90% DR state, which won't protect it for long in steel path missions.

Once the Warframe only has 2 Health left, your operator will be forced back into the Warframe, at this point you can still try to heal your Warframe, but you will most likely get downed by the next hit before you can react.

8 hours ago, _Anise_ said:

confirmed (kind of) initially made a b-line for me turned off on and was taken almost immediately out of stealth

there were still lots of enemies around.turned off on, take out of stealth again, jumped to a different location still charging me stealth off, on and out again.

finally after several jumps I was able to turn stealth back on and it stuck and the assassin just stood around like a pudding

I used Ivara during the Acolyte event, only had issue with Malice as his Mag bubble and OHKO was a pain but it did cheese all of his teammates so yup it works even if it can be a pest with toggling it back and forth

Archived