Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Petition to remove grab bags from stream

FlamingCore

I'm quoting @Soy77  since it applies for me too, and I want to make an official post about it (not that I looked if one exists already)
DE claims it listens to it's players, so here is your chance to shine people.

When I started playing warframe, you guys gave limited or paid drops such as orokin tea set, dax picture, noggles, articulas, etc. and for a noob like me, struggling to decorate my orbiter, it was beyond awesome. The love and appreciation i had, was immeasurable.

And it also put the stream in a special position as truly -the official- warframe stream, since it offers items that people can't get, aside from the developers themselves.

============

Players who just joined warframe recently did not have that luxury. All they're getting are items that's available in the game, like these floofs, or syndicate decorations from last week. In a grab bag rng fashion nonetheless. Why? I'll never know, probably to promote laziness, so people don't have to play warframe to get these items.

You people made this game. I bet it's not that hard to list some limited items and just put them on rotation as twitch drops. There are new tennos joining warframe everyday, they could use the style boost with limited decos. Longtime loyal tennos will tune in either way since they're not here for the drops.

============

Idk why you're so adamant on keep using twitch's grab bag feature just "because it's there". seriously it baffles me how hard you guys keep forcing the rng for no particular reasons nor supporters. Even the most loyal tennos merely tolerate rng, the majority rest are hating it. why are you so persistent on keeping a feature that nobody wants? it doesn't sound like DE who values what their players wants.

I mean, most of us are adults here. If you guys signed a contract with twitch that forces you to do grab bags or whatever, then just say it. we'll definitely understand and not bother you guys again. We even got your backs covered if some kids come complaining about the rng in the future.

Just tell us, why?

I don't mind the grab backs because they are just free extra things for the community streams. Some of those special drops you listed like the tea set were limited time drops for releases of patches and stuff. 

The actual drops for watching the community streams only started when they had to start working from home and wanted to do something extra for everyone who was also stuck at home, let you tune in to watch a stream and get something extra for it. 

They initially did have set drops each day, but that also wasn't popular for people who lived outside of the eastern time zone as they either they would miss out on a drop due to time zone difference or would have to schedule time to make sure they got the drop.

At least with the grab bags those people aren't as left out or don't feel as bad if they can't watch a particular stream that has something they wanted as a drop. 

1 hour ago, yarl5000 said:

-snip-

I'm just promoting a discussion on it, I did a copy pasta because i thought it was relevant.
I agree the free stuff are extras, people are taking it for granted imo, but it's an interesting discussion nontheless

Imo the drops are fine.

Yes, we had a few months in which DE gave away some long unavailable items or even entire Warframe Blueprint sets of had to grind Warframes.

But before that, all these "community streams" gave away NOTHING!

If you don't like the drops, don't watch. DE started Twitch Drops to boost viewership and entice the general Twitch viewerbase to see a huge spike in numbers and come to check the game out, if these numbers drops harshly due to unpopular drops, DE will change their strategy eventually.

Why Floofs?

Floofs will be sold during Tennocon, boosting awareness (and hopefully interest) of them will lead to better merchandise sales numbers.

I don't really mind them, but then again I've also found myself watching streams far less often since the grab bags started being so prevalent. If there's a reward I want or can use I'll at least drop by and watch a little, even though it doesn't usually interest me, but if it's just Rebecca and Megan fishing or whatever for an hour for a random floof then I'll just keep watching whatever I was already watching instead. 🤷‍♀️

Imagine being upset by free stuff enough to want there to no longer be free stuff just because it isn't the free stuff you want.

If they put more of those old special decorations in then we would have people simultaneously complaining about being "forced" to watch streams for exclusives, that they missed exclusives and might never get a chance at them again, and people who don't need duplicate items if they did bring such items back.

Also who says "nobody" wants these items or for them to use the feature at all? At the end of the day free junk is still free and plenty of people tune in and mute just for said drops. If people don't want or care about the items then they can just watch the streams and not bother to claim any of their drops. It's that simple.

4 hours ago, FlamingCore said:

I'm quoting @Soy77  since it applies for me too, and I want to make an official post about it (not that I looked if one exists already)
DE claims it listens to it's players, so here is your chance to shine people.

When I started playing warframe, you guys gave limited or paid drops such as orokin tea set, dax picture, noggles, articulas, etc. and for a noob like me, struggling to decorate my orbiter, it was beyond awesome. The love and appreciation i had, was immeasurable.

And it also put the stream in a special position as truly -the official- warframe stream, since it offers items that people can't get, aside from the developers themselves.

============

Players who just joined warframe recently did not have that luxury. All they're getting are items that's available in the game, like these floofs, or syndicate decorations from last week. In a grab bag rng fashion nonetheless. Why? I'll never know, probably to promote laziness, so people don't have to play warframe to get these items.

You people made this game. I bet it's not that hard to list some limited items and just put them on rotation as twitch drops. There are new tennos joining warframe everyday, they could use the style boost with limited decos. Longtime loyal tennos will tune in either way since they're not here for the drops.

============

Idk why you're so adamant on keep using twitch's grab bag feature just "because it's there". seriously it baffles me how hard you guys keep forcing the rng for no particular reasons nor supporters. Even the most loyal tennos merely tolerate rng, the majority rest are hating it. why are you so persistent on keeping a feature that nobody wants? it doesn't sound like DE who values what their players wants.

I mean, most of us are adults here. If you guys signed a contract with twitch that forces you to do grab bags or whatever, then just say it. we'll definitely understand and not bother you guys again. We even got your backs covered if some kids come complaining about the rng in the future.

Just tell us, why?

okay, first of all i'm flattered. thank you.

however, along my stay in this forum, i've learned a couple stuff. there are two reasons why i don't make new threads:

1. some people generally click on threads if they think they can massacre the OP, especially in General Discussion. you'll see people go out of their ways to type long ass replies just so they can prove someone else is wrong. people who agrees, on the other hand, would just generally drop a like and move on, people put less efforts to show support here.
funny story of mine that some other members here will definitely relate to: at one point we got our reply wildly upvoted at a random thread. so we think to ourselves, hey i bet if i make a whole thread about it, people will support the idea just like they did here! always a huge mistake. people who come, only come to disagree. people who agree, won't take their time to drop by.
people new to the forums see so many threads about ideas and suggestions from players, they see liberalism, chance to share their ideas as well. forum veterans actually read those thread's contents and realize that 8 out of 10 those threads are actually met with disagreement, so most of them simply don't waste time starting new threads.

2. yes i'm pretty critical about the streams. some of my posts on page one of every week's announcements got upvoted pretty hard by others.
so hard, at one point helen herself actually addressed most of my complaints with a long ass reply that's basically a very polite and diplomatic version of "nobody is forcing you to watch. if you don't like it then don't watch it". dissappointing, i know. what a bummer. but the reply was made publicly, and the others will continue to use that argument as their ultimate weapon.

=======================

I do like the grab bag for the time flexibility in its nature. people can pick and choose when they want to get their drops. people who want two drops can tune in early. people who get 5 drops in 3 streams can skip 1 stream on that week. etc. so grab bag actually would be PERFECT for single item drops, because no rng there, people can benefit from grab bag's flexibility, since everyone are getting the same items anyway. why they set it for selection of items instead, i have absolutely no idea and whaddaya know, nakak pearls -a single item, was actually dropped as grab bag. i watched the stream from monday to wednesday, got all 250 pearls, and i can skip thursday stream.

there are a lot of things that are wrong about warframe and at this point just impossible to fix, but i'd like to think of the stream as a small isolated content that DE can still actually do right. probably.. just probably, if they can do this one thing right, i can hold on to the hope that one day warframe could be fixed too. that's why i haven't give up on providing feedbacks about it.

in the end, feel free to do any campaign that you want. i'm just here to give you a friendly wake up call that most people here probably won't rejoice at the wonderful news that you bring.

OP, how can you complain about something free that wasnt there at all before? You compare it to the tea set and other things. Those didnt come from the daily/weekly "community" streams, they came from the Devstreams or special streams only, or from something related to a release in the game (like the tea set).

14 hours ago, Corvid said:

So long as it's nothing exclusive, I can deal with it. 2FA permanently locked me out of my own twitch account, so getting these drops is effectively impossible for me.

How did 2FA lock you out of twitch?

3 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

How did 2FA lock you out of twitch?

The phone I used for it died, and support was utterly unwilling to let me either change to a new one or disable 2FA. They just told me to install a security app which, considering that I've never owned a smartphone, isn't exactly an option.

4 minutes ago, Corvid said:

The phone I used for it died, and support was utterly unwilling to let me either change to a new one or disable 2FA. They just told me to install a security app which, considering that I've never owned a smartphone, isn't exactly an option.

Ah that sucks.

Just unlink your WF account from Twitch here then set up a new Twitch account with a new email and link your WF account to that new Twitch account. Should work.

edit: Though if it is SMS verification they use it should work on any phone you pick up aslong as you use the same SIM since that results in the same phone number.

1 minute ago, SneakyErvin said:

Ah that sucks.

Just unlink your WF account from Twitch here then set up a new Twitch account with a new email and link your WF account to that new Twitch account. Should work.

Could do that, but it's a pain to set up and keep track of an entire second email address just for this. The fact that I straight up don't have a phone capable of receiving texts (my last one's sim card timed out due to inactivity, meaning I sent no texts and made no calls from it for over 6 months, to give an idea of how little I use them) also makes me somewhat reticent to use any platform that requires a mobile number.

Funnily enough, unlinking and relinking my Warframe account to Twitch was actually the direct cause of the lockout. It happened when the last Prime with Prime pack came out and there were a bunch of problems with the rewards not being granted. One of the solutions proposed on the fora was to unlink/relink, and upon attempting to do the latter my Twitch account demanded an authentication code sent by text... to the nonfunctional phone.

10 minutes ago, Corvid said:

Those Authenticator apps should be able to run on any kind of system (including your PC). Authenticators just store a bunch of magic numbers (e.g. provided by Twitch) and based on the current time, tells you the 2FA number to type in. So the trick is to find an Authenticator application that can run on your PC...

I'm no fan of Chrome browser, but here's one that will run as a Chrome extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/authenticator/bhghoamapcdpbohphigoooaddinpkbai?hl=en

Maybe i'm too old XD but back then there was not drop at all only plat winners and stuff like that.

After that some drops were just stuff from in game ( display , a norg display ) but also stuff unique to watching the streams ( syndana , tea set )  but only from time for events.

Now since its on all streams they added a grab bag sometimes its unique stuff sometimes its farmable stuff. 

Honestly i'm not against it. Its great and sometimes we get stuff like pearls ^.^ 

From my point of view the whole thing is just upgrade from the nothing we had in the past.

There is more than one side to this.

On the one hand, having some sort of drops does bring viewers (the top Warframe streamer online right now has under 200 live viewers, DE's streams tend to have around 50K or more). And since DE use Twitch as one of the main promotional/communications tools for Warframe, bringing in more viewers (and eventually players) is the whole purpose of the streams. So having drops during the streams is an overall upgrade for what the streams are.

On the other hand, receiving a drop should promote positive emotions, not negative ones. So a grab bag should not have items of wildly different value. That way, whenever a player receives one of the drops, they feel (a bit) happy for receiving the drop, not disappointed that they got the lower-tier drop instead of the higher-tier one.

• For example, this week's drops (floofs) are a good selection - they are all (more-or-less) equally easy to get, so there is no real way to "loose out" on the RNG.
  • In contrast, consider the grab bag they had a few months ago - 3-4 planters for the orbiter as a common drops, a color palette as uncommon and one of the Peculiar mods as a rare. Here, anyone who gets one of the planters will likely feel (somewhat) disappointed for not getting the better stuff. And that is not what you want the player to feel on receiving the drop. And if you get the palette, there is also a good chance you've gotten literally nothing from it (if you already have that palette)

So for the community to be happy with the grab bags, all the items in the bag should simply have the same (or similar) value. That'll both keep the "free stuff" appeal and avoid the "bad RNG" disappointment.

5 hours ago, nslay said:

Those Authenticator apps should be able to run on any kind of system (including your PC). Authenticators just store a bunch of magic numbers (e.g. provided by Twitch) and based on the current time, tells you the 2FA number to type in. So the trick is to find an Authenticator application that can run on your PC...

I'm no fan of Chrome browser, but here's one that will run as a Chrome extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/authenticator/bhghoamapcdpbohphigoooaddinpkbai?hl=en

Might look into it, but I'm honestly not overly fussed about the matter. DE's devstreams are the only thing I watched on the platform, and I generally get a smoother experience watching them on Youtube anyway.

Archived