Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rework Heavy Caliber (Again)

TheAscendedOne

The original Heavy Caliber was essentially a free damage mod on certain weapons. The new Heavy Caliber is an atrocity that is only viable on certain weapons. Accuracy was quite possibly the single worst stat you could have hit with this mod - all it does is add a negative RNG where one doesn't belong. In addition, there are no mods that increase accuracy to counter this effect. This mod is a &!$$-poor choice for essentially anything that isn't an automatic rifle or the Ignis at this point - it's bad on bows, sniper rifles, and the ogris. 

Just decrease a different stat instead of recoil or accuracy. I recommend Fire Rate, Clip Size, or Ammo Max. 

Edited by TheAscendedOne

Clip size and ammo max reductions are free damage too

Actually, Clip Size is not free damage - it equates to more frequent reloading in exchange for the higher damage. Last time I checked, most rifles do not have particularly fast base reload speeds either. The Vectis would get off without a hindrance on either Fire Rate or Clip Size, but sniper rifles are SUPPOSED to be able to one or two shot priority targets. 

I think that fire rate would be a logical thing because it would take longer for your to recover from shooting a larger projectile. the only disadvantage I could see is weapons like the new sniper rifle where it doesn't matter what your fire rate is because it's a clip of 1. in that case reload would be the limiting factor not fire rate.

Fire rate doesn't affect continuous firing weapons like Ignis, Flux and Synapse. It will be back to free damage for these weapons.

it already is. those accurate beams only get like, what, 3%? less accurate with Heavy Caliber. 

yet all the other guns suffer more for their damage. 

interesting, considering those two Corrupted mods were changed BECAUSE of those continuous weapons getting free damage.

and they still do. 

They need to make Vile Precision counter Heavy Caliber once again. As of right now, Vile Precision is useless (and a perfectly direct downgrade to Stabilizer, to boot), and Heavy Caliber is only remotely viable on a very select few weapons (which, ironically, includes everything that the change was made to counter in the first place-- Ignis, Flux, Synapse, etc. are hardly affected by HC at all unless the attack goes past their range, at which point no damage is dealt anyway).

Make Heavy Caliber more versatile.

Show Vile Precision some love.

Let the two lovers reunite.

Fire rate doesn't affect continuous firing weapons like Ignis, Flux and Synapse. It will be back to free damage for these weapons.

For the cost of a precious mod slot, though, it would at least be justifiable. That's one mod slot gone that can't go to extra damage or utility.

I think this is the point of these mods in the first place. Just like Charged Chamber it was never designed to be best damage for all guns but extra damage for the guns that can make it work. I like the fact that this adds a new level to modding weapons and how they work in the first place. 

Before these mods I would just add the same old mods to every weapon. Now I look at the Brakk and think about accuracy reductions with multishot just to see if it really does shoot a wall of lead. 

The fact that it does not work on all guns makes it one of the best mods in the game.

The original Heavy Caliber was essentially a free damage mod on certain weapons. The new Heavy Caliber is an atrocity that is only viable on certain weapons. Accuracy was quite possibly the single worst stat you could have hit with this mod - all it does is add a negative RNG where one doesn't belong. In addition, there are no mods that increase accuracy to counter this effect. This mod is a &!$$-poor choice for essentially anything that isn't an automatic rifle or the Ignis at this point - it's bad on bows, sniper rifles, and the ogris. 

Just decrease a different stat instead of recoil or accuracy. I recommend Fire Rate, Clip Size, or Ammo Max.

I recommend lower crit chance or crit damage. Would make more sense tbh.

The issue here is deeper than the stupid stat pairing, and the only real fix here would be to reorganize the entire mod system(not change it, reorganize).

However, any further comments on that have to wait until we know the full extent of changes introduced in Damage 2.0(it deals with damage types primarily, so I refuse to call it Armor 2.0).

Edited by Naqel

Then what do we do about our recoil? 

What if it just added a set amount of recoil? 

That would fix most of the free damage issues wouldn't it? 

This was my thought when they changed it. Why not just change mods like this to work on flat numbers? If that's something that the current mod system doesn't support then, yeah, ok that explains a lot. If that's not the case however, why not just make it a flat addition to recoil?

The same kind of goes for stun chance mods, but that's neither here nor there.

It was a pain simply because of the amount of cores that I poured into (almost maxing it) pre-nerf.

I must admit to feeling more than a little cheated when the change came. If you're going to make such a drastic modification it would be nice if they reset the mods rank and returned the equivalent cost in cores so people could then decide if it's worth re-investing in. Not screwing early adopters out of literally hundreds of hard earned fusion cores.

Edited by OmniDetta

It was a pain simply because of the amount of cores that I poured into (almost maxing it) pre-nerf.

I must admit to feeling more than a little cheated when the change came. If you're going to make such a drastic modification it would be nice if they reset the mods rank and returned the equivalent cost in cores so people could then decide if it's worth re-investing in. Not screwing early adopters out of literally hundreds of hard earned fusion cores.

or!

you could read the EULA / ToS you agreed to when you made an account.

it clearly states that this is a game in development, anything can change at any time. 

those people screwed themselves.

how about recoil and clipsize!

Could work, though I wonder how that will affect the Vectis and Bows. Vectis because it has a clip (so minus say 40% in clip-size, does it round towards zero?) and bows because they do not and are barely affected by any recoil, even if the mod added recoil.

It will work on the Lanka, Flux Rifle, Dera, Ignis and Ogris (which was the problem before, these were not affected at all), though I do not know how much of a negative effect the clip size will be there as it can't be too much because then you will only stand there and reload after every single shot, making the mod useless on everything but high magazine-capacity rifles like the Soma, more or less exacerbating the problem of it being too powerful in comparison to other weapons.

Edited by NullCurrent