Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Youtube's age restriction

Diyou

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Leyvonne:

How is a credit card suitable for determining age? In Finland a 7-year-old can have one :D Unless they literally mean a credit card instead of any type of bank card.

I assume they literally mean a credit card. I infer that from the fact that that is literally what they say.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb GrayArchon:

What country?

I guess don't answer if you're not comfortable, but I'm curious as to what country has a law like this and how it would work. You can't show anyone your ID? Isn't that the whole purpose of ID – to be shown to people for verification?

He can show people his ID because showing someone your ID and making a copy of your ID is actually not the same thing. You can tell by how they're different words with different meaning that are also spelled and pronounced differently.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb nslay:

This isn't about copyright shenanigans, this about data slurping your web browsing and youtube-watching habits.

This is about neither of those things. This is about an upcoming EU directive. It's quoted in big bold letters in the first comment of this thread.

If anyone else needs any simple sentences explained to them let me know. At least I get now why they make those pointless videos in the first place. Maybe someone should make a video version of this thread.

34 minutes ago, Krankbert said:

I assume they literally mean a credit card. I infer that from the fact that that is literally what they say.

The term "credit card" is often used for any type of bank card. For example I don't have an actual credit card and yet the card I have has been accepted without issues for anything that has said "credit card required". So I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with this age checking thing too.

11 hours ago, WaifuJanna said:

had same problem. even the old tricks with watch over discord, watch on nsfw youtube or watch in cache doesnt worked anymore. in germany they going nuts with the age verification.

But yeah, get your passport make a photo (without flash) and send them to google. its automated process take like 10 sec and u are verified.  (you can put some paper or stamp above your photo if u like. the only thing the google API needs to see is the full ID card (all 4 edges) the birthday and the duration/valid of the passport) [i just did it today thats why i know]

A better solution would be for DE to put them on multiple platforms that don't require giving your PRECIOUS and possibly life wrecking personal data out to unscrupulous third parties like Google or YT.

" If our systems are unable to establish that a viewer is above the age of 18, we will request that they provide a valid ID or credit card to verify their age."

Your systems can't cross-verify my long-time YouTube account and Gmail account to determine I'm over 30yo?

"We’ve built our age-verification process in keeping with Google’s Privacy and Security Principles."

NU-UH, GURL BYE

YouTube can go and do what people did in that unrestricted thumbnail of a video I got recommended while searching totally unrelated things.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Hayrack:

" If our systems are unable to establish that a viewer is above the age of 18, we will request that they provide a valid ID or credit card to verify their age."

Your systems can't cross-verify my long-time YouTube account and Gmail account to determine I'm over 30yo?

Did you do an age verification for your Gmail account? I’m guessing no. Cross-referencing an unverified account with another unverified account doesn’t verify anything.

6 hours ago, GrayArchon said:

What country?

I guess don't answer if you're not comfortable, but I'm curious as to what country has a law like this and how it would work. You can't show anyone your ID? Isn't that the whole purpose of ID – to be shown to people for verification?

It's the Netherlands. You can show your ID of course. But you're not allowed to hand over your ID to anyone, nor allowed to make a copy. Even if it's a copy by copier on a piece of paper. Although not handing over your ID becomes complicated at the airport and such. Hah.

We do have a governmental app that allows a copy to be made of the ID and then you can blot things out. This is allowed. Handing over your ID or a copy of it as-is is prone to fraud. This is the main reason this exists. If you do make a copy you have to blot out your social security number and photo at minimum.

Strangest thing here is though that I could watch the youtube video without verifying my age.

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Diyou:

So today I was attempting to watch the Dev workshop video until I got prompted to "verify" my age. Apparently as a EU citizen this will require me to submit my credit card info or id as it was announced in some of youtube's blog post :

I could not manage to work around youtube's restriction which somehow only affected me but not my friend or my brother. So maybe if other people experience the same thing it might be an idea to revise the self-restriction or to upload this sort of videos on other platforms like twitch (on which this video is not).

I don't think so at all. there is hardly any violence in warframe and it is mostly about robots or cyborg fights ...
YOU CANNOT DIE IN WARFRAME! in diablo 2 harcore you could die, but it is not the case here!

therefore i cannot understand youtube rules at all!

vor 20 Minuten schrieb (XBOX)C11H22O11:

I wasn't aware that this happened to people on EU till yesterday it's so stupid the reason is probably children as usual, YouTube kids is a thing...

I am IN the EU and I wasn't aware that this is happening. 

Tbh, I am not even that worried about my personal data, but I am just going to be too lazy to go through the validation process...

3 minutes ago, Sinekanter said:

I am IN the EU and I wasn't aware that this is happening. 

Tbh, I am not even that worried about my personal data, but I am just going to be too lazy to go through the validation process...

Sorry, I can't find a specific list of countries that are affected by this, most results just go with EU

vor 1 Minute schrieb (XBOX)C11H22O11:

Sorry, I can't find a specific list of countries that are affected by this, most results just go with EU

I am in Germany and knowing our government, our country is by an 80% chance affected by it. I will check later if Youtube send me a notification about the changes.

I live in Italy and never have been prompted to verify my ID to check my age, never knew it was a thing. As far as I know it's the user's responsibility to declare if they're 18+ or not.

Asking for my credit card or real ID is pretty f* ridiculous, that's just inviting scams and ID theft, especially for people with poor security in place. Even with decent security software there's tons of exploits people can use to get that info.

You should always type as little personal information as possible on your computer, you never know who's watching, use your phone if you need to pay for something or send stuff like documents.

It amazes me how idiotic the people at YT can get

This isn't a problem that we have in the UK as far as I know.

I actually thought that it was something that DE had done, because considering that this is an M rated game they do seem to like treating us like children. 

5 hours ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

Shocked it worked, but eh, not like they can do anything with my name, cuz really, my name, my birth date and my face is in countless records all over the place, Medical, Police, not hard to find someones details, as scary as that sounds.

But well done, glad it worked for you

It only took a second so i guess the bot doesn't look at the other infos

Okay so, I’m from the EU and had the same issue until today.

What I did was, I checked my main google account if it had my full birth date which it had.

Went to youtube and within youtube I switched account and back to my main youtube/google account.

For some reason that worked and I am able to watch the video. I'm not sure that will work for everyone :(

8 hours ago, twirlandswirl said:

My YouTube account itself is almost 18 years old (like, 16, right after it came out) so hopefully this won't be a problem here at any point. 

you'd think it wouldn't but it is, they are still requiring accounts that are over 18 years old to verify !! otherwise I would dig out my old account!

While I can see how this could be an annoyance, I also understand why Youtube is doing it. Similar to how tobacco & alcohol stores are required by law here in the states to check purchasers' IDs even if they're obviously old enough to purchase tobacco/alcohol. It is, at its core, a liability issue.

In order to continue operating in certain countries, Youtube (and by extension Google) needs to adjust certain policies for certain users to adhere to local/regional laws. The alternative is that Youtube gets blacklisted by all of a country's DNS providers and ISPs and users are blocked from accessing the site entirely.

Sure, you could use a VPN to bypass a country's ban of certain websites, but that dives into a very gray legal area; it may be legal in some countries but illegal in others.

Is it annoying? Sure. Do I agree with the policy? Eh, not really. Do I understand why Youtube is doing it? Yes, I do.

But at the end of the day, DE (the content maker) can't really do much about it because they can't force Youtube/Google to violate laws of other countries/regions and they can't remove an age restriction from videos because the game is rated M for Mature, and Youtube/Google (the content provider) can't do much about it if they want to continue to be allowed to operate in said countries/regions.

What folks impacted by this should do, if they dislike the new law(s) and want to have them rolled back, is to reach out to your lawmakers/representatives in the EU legislative body to petition for a change. 

I think unfortunately, restrictions like this are only going to continue to be the wave of the future, and I see it coming to the United States and elsewhere before long as well. 

For example, in the USA, kids are not supposed to have online accounts at all without at least proving they are thirteen or have a parents permission, but lets face it, the companies don't have to do anything to make sure that is actually the case. Kids just pull down on the year slider until they are old enough and lie. At some point, lawmakers are probably going to step in, and making people verify their identify as being of proper age is probably going to keep being a bigger thing, not less. 

I understand people's frustrations though, but I expect it will hit my own country before long. 

30 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

What folks impacted by this should do, if they dislike the new law(s) and want to have them rolled back, is to reach out to your lawmakers/representatives in the EU legislative body to petition for a change. 

I tend to disagree on this since I personally don't want to lobby for youtube/google and also in this case it isn't even something that was enforced but a self imposed flagging from DE themselves. DE can remove the age restriction and just go for a disclaimer at the beginning of the video as it is common and best practice. This mechanism is probably intended in the case where youtube restricts the video because of what ever reason they come up with instead.

I didn't intend to argue the politics behind this but only to alert DE about those changes and eventually to change the way they upload content. The age restriction setting is just unnecessary and makes them inaccessible to some gamers. This is why I think uploading to twitch might be a good and future proof alternative where we would have the mechanism to verify our age through amazon in case they are going a similar route.

p.s. Here is how it looks like for affected people:

Spoiler

verify.pngverify2.png

5 minutes ago, Diyou said:

I tend to disagree on this since I personally don't want to lobby for youtube/google and also in this case it isn't even something that was enforced but a self imposed flagging from DE themselves. DE can remove the age restriction and just go for a disclaimer at the beginning of the video as it is common and best practice. This mechanism is probably intended in the case where youtube restricts the video because of what ever reason they come up with instead.

I didn't intend to argue the politics behind this but only to alert DE about those changes and eventually to change the way they upload content. The age restriction setting is just unnecessary and makes them inaccessible to some gamers. This is why I think uploading to twitch might be a good and future proof alternative where we would have the mechanism to verify our age through amazon in case they are going a similar route.

Spoiler

verify.pngverify2.png

I'm confused why you would think this was "self-flagged" or that somehow DE can get around this by "changing the way they upload on YouTube". 

People have explained pretty clearly in this thread already. This isn't something DE can just "get around", at least not on YouTube. 

10 minutes ago, Diyou said:

Spoiler

verify.pngverify2.png

who is ready to give his credit card to a flop company that exploits its employees like animals?
just doesn't work.

In addition, you can get a strike in many cases and the channel is blocked. so suggestions above don't work ...

11 hours ago, Krankbert said:

He can show people his ID because showing someone your ID and making a copy of your ID is actually not the same thing. You can tell by how they're different words with different meaning that are also spelled and pronounced differently.

A+ condescension. However, the context is showing a website your ID, in which case I'd argue that there is no functional difference between showing ID and giving a copy of your ID.

11 hours ago, Krankbert said:

Judging from responses like this

10 hours ago, Leyvonne said:

The term "credit card" is often used for any type of bank card. For example I don't have an actual credit card and yet the card I have has been accepted without issues for anything that has said "credit card required".

and the fact that credit cards in the literal sense are not as common outside the United States, it's fair to say that "credit card" has multiple meanings, so again your condescension is unwarranted.

6 minutes ago, Diyou said:

DE can remove the age restriction and just go for a disclaimer at the beginning of the video as it is common and best practice.

Letter13 said:

31 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

they can't remove an age restriction from videos because the game is rated M for Mature

I assume DE is making sure the YouTube age rating matches the M rating, which is 17+ according to the ESRB. None of this is legally mandated to my knowledge (and, as demonstrated earlier, my assumptions may not hold outside of the US), but by the same token DE is wise to self-regulate in this way, lest the companies or organisations involved (YouTube/Google, the ESRB, other platforms) take preemptive action.

1 minute ago, Diyou said:

A disclaimer in the video doesn't give a free pass to ignore Youtube's video hosting policies/age restriction requirements, and could result in account suspension/deactivation, though more often than not it would result in Youtube marking a video as age restricted on their end, meaning that the uploader cannot remove the age restriction.

Long story short, if DE is flagging their own videos, it's to cover their bases (which is understandable because more often than not, livestreams/videos/etc from DE tend to have vulgar language, which is a criteria for age-restricted content). If not, then it's Youtube's moderation team that's marking videos as age restricted, and DE cannot un-mark their videos without appealing the issue to Youtube.

19 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I'm confused why you would think this was "self-flagged" or that somehow DE can get around this by "changing the way they upload on YouTube". 

People have explained pretty clearly in this thread already. This isn't something DE can just "get around", at least not on YouTube. 

Spoiler

selfrestricted.png

Archived