Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Youtube's age restriction

Diyou

It's a crappy situation.

In good conscience, DE must claim their content to be rated M, even though the info in question sounds like it is pretty much talking about spreadsheets with gameplay in the background. YouTube being what it is REEE's about adult content and slaps a requirement on it that is completely non-sensical but ticks whatever legal lip sevice and social agenda boxes it's currently servicing, and many of the people the content is made for are then forced to either breach their own privacy in order to access said content or go without.

It just sucks.

My suggestion to DE is to watch the videos on a livestream and react to them, thereby both transforming and embellishing the original work and having it stream archived on a site that does not restrict video of the game itself. Transforming it removes any secondhand hold YouTube has on the content, leaving only the original creator ( DE ) fully in control of it again, while simultaneously pushes any revenue garnered from the videos to a site that does not punish or expose their playerbase. 

edit - the transform part is just so there is no toehold for ' it was originally YT content so they have a perpetuated say even if the same video is uploaded elsewhere '. It removes any ambiguity and forcefully severs the works. Recutting the video and just uploading it elsewhere would also work but has more backend input to make happen ( most likely ). 

49 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

Do you use you google/youtube account on your phone too ? have you ever bought a game app or paid for a service? could already be "verified" that way ?

I use a different account on my phone. I have bought and rented movies on youtube though with this account. But that never required me to put in an ID card.

10 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

well I was just getting at if you paid they have your payment details which usually include your age, they probably stored that (forever!!) and that's why you are verified

My credit card doesn't have my birthday on it, nor is it required to provide it during payment. My account has my birthday listed, but you can put a fake birthday there as well. After checking the payment details it does list my full address in there. But it has no ID-type information like age, photo, physical traits, social security number or ID number.

Even though this type of data is there, this doesn't guarantee my age for the age restricted video.

9 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

My credit card doesn't have my birthday on it,

credit cards are usually only given to adults, also whoever issued you the card will know your DOB anyway my point being that is probably how you are verified

9 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

Even though this type of data is there, this doesn't guarantee my age for the age restricted video.

I know and an 8 year old could borrow their dad's ID card to get verified and watch the video, its a pointless and stupid system that youtube has decided to enforce

1 minute ago, _Anise_ said:

credit cards are usually only given to adults, also whoever issued you the card will know your DOB

Payment method could have very well been something other than credit card. I think you can use paypal as well. And that has no age link.

10 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

Payment method could have very well been something other than credit card

so you are saying you didn't pay with card or its a hypothetical ? well you also need to be 18 to own a paypal account.

anyway you paid for goods, my best guess is that qualified you as age verified the only answer I have.

9 hours ago, Krankbert said:

It may come as a suprise [sic] to you, but national ID and passports were in fact not invented for the internet.

So? That doesn't change the laws regarding either ID cards or the internet itself. I still maintain that there's not really a functional difference between showing ID and giving a copy of your ID when it comes to the internet. However, I recognise that my opinion does not carry legal weight.

10 hours ago, Krankbert said:

I think some condescension is warranted towards people who are baffled by the fact that a sentence means what it literally says.

If that's the case, then I think you need to be introduced to an exciting new form of language: metaphorical speech!

Words aren't always used with their literal meanings, and words can have alternative meanings. The fact remains that in some parts of the world, "credit card" can be used to refer to any kind of bank card.

Oh hey, look at that. I can be condescending, too.

11 hours ago, GrayArchon said:

So? That doesn't change the laws regarding either ID cards or the internet itself. I still maintain that there's not really a functional difference between showing ID and giving a copy of your ID when it comes to the internet. However, I recognise that my opinion does not carry legal weight.

I’m sorry, is there some part of „IDs don’t exist for the Internet“ that you didn’t understand? Because you keep claiming that the law doesn’t make sense because it prevents certain uses on the internet as if that’s what IDs were for, and that makes me think that you still don’t really get that that’s not why IDs exist.

11 hours ago, GrayArchon said:

Words aren't always used with their literal meanings, and words can have alternative meanings. The fact remains that in some parts of the world, "credit card" can be used to refer to any kind of bank card.

Oh hey, look at that. I can be condescending, too.

And is Google located in one of those parts of the world?

14 hours ago, _Anise_ said:

I know and an 8 year old could borrow their dad's ID card to get verified and watch the video, its a pointless and stupid system that youtube has decided to enforce

This is what’s called the Nirvana fallacy. „This thing isn’t perfect, therefore it’s pointless.“

On 2021-06-18 at 3:39 PM, nslay said:

This isn't about copyright shenanigans, this about data slurping your web browsing and youtube-watching habits.

More likely, they got hauled to a parliament committee somewhere (is "parliament" used outside the UK?) and YT did the bare minimum to comply. Like when the US Senate said YouTube was collecting too much data on minors, so they disabled comments on anything "intended for kids"

21 hours ago, Krankbert said:

I’m sorry, is there some part of „IDs don’t exist for the Internet“ that you didn’t understand? Because you keep claiming that the law doesn’t make sense because it prevents certain uses on the internet as if that’s what IDs were for, and that makes me think that you still don’t really get that that’s not why IDs exist.

I am well aware that the laws that created the current systems of ID in various countries predate the internet (although, possibly not for some newer countries) and that many of those IDs continue to exist in legitimate form. However, the cool thing about laws is that they can be changed or updated as needed. So, the concept of "IDs don't exist for the internet" is all well and good, but if the IDs are used on/for/via the internet, then the laws regarding them (both ID and internet) in those various countries can be changed and updated, and any current situation as it relates to the topic, desirable or no, is the result of the current set of laws and/or the unwillingness to change those laws to better reflect the reality we live in.

You seem to think I'm upset that the National Passport Act of 1962* doesn't take the internet into account, which is absurd. We have long been living in an era when laws are passed that regulate how things are used over the internet.

*fictitious example

21 hours ago, Krankbert said:

And is Google located in one of those parts of the world?

Do you google every term you use before you use it? If this was a usage you used often, how would you even know there were other definitions (or narrower definitions, in this specific example) to look up?

This specific line of snarkiness stems, to my recollection (I'm not going to scroll back through four pages to make sure), from someone asking a question along the lines of "When they ask for a credit card, do they mean an actual credit card or just any bank card?" From your responses, you've made it clear that you think this is an extraordinarily dumb question, because "words mean things and people should take all sentences literally" (helpful paraphrase). Instead of trying to explain how it's not a dumb question, let me ask: what's wrong with asking questions? What's wrong with obtaining clarification on something that you are 93% sure of, but you want someone to give you that extra 7% of validation? Not every question needs to have a life-changing answer. Sometimes you just need a little confirmation of something you already know, and that's not a crime that needs to be called out.

vor 54 Minuten schrieb GrayArchon:

Do you google every term you use before you use it? If this was a usage you used often, how would you even know there were other definitions (or narrower definitions, in this specific example) to look up?

Language skills? 

vor 54 Minuten schrieb GrayArchon:

This specific line of snarkiness stems, to my recollection (I'm not going to scroll back through four pages to make sure), from someone asking a question along the lines of "When they ask for a credit card, do they mean an actual credit card or just any bank card?" From your responses, you've made it clear that you think this is an extraordinarily dumb question, because "words mean things and people should take all sentences literally" (helpful paraphrase). Instead of trying to explain how it's not a dumb question, let me ask: what's wrong with asking questions?

I think most people would get at most halfway through typing „when they say credit card, do they mean credit card“ before noticing.

Also thanks for confirming that the fact that you don’t even remember what we‘re talking about doesn’t stop you from vehemently asserting that I was wrong about it, whatever it was. Sometimes I need to be reminded what kind of people I’m talking to in this forum, or else I might start taking anyone’s opinion seriously.

5 minutes ago, Krankbert said:

I think most people would get at most halfway through typing „when they say credit card, do they mean credit card, or one of the several other types of bank card that are often colloquially referred to as credit cards“ before noticing.

FTFY

So I checked yesterday and it seems my age is already verified (followed the verification link on the google site and it showed my correct birthday). I don't have a credit card nor did I ever give youtube my ID, so I believe it is verified through my Youtube Premium purchase, which is linked with my paypal account (and before anyone skins me alive, yes, I use Youtube Premium and no, I am not advertising it as a way of getting rid of the verification process).

On 2021-06-18 at 10:50 PM, bad4youLT said:

You need to verify your identity to watch some video on youtube ?

What the actual freak 

yep. welcome to EU. and upload-filters my friend.

On 2021-06-18 at 11:54 PM, Soy77 said:

That's just absolutely mental.

They expect everyone to use personal information now? What's next, we all need to sign up on reddit using our real names??

that actually is planned for Whatsapp and Facebook in germany...

• 2 months later...

it also makes absolutely no sense. theres enough content (games) far more brutal than warframe on youtube that doesnt require any of these shenanigans. like OF COURSE i will give my ID and everything to youtube, NATURALLY !

if thats how it is then i wont watch any more content from the official warframe channel.

I remember a time when game companies hosted everything you needed to know about the game/updates on...

get ready cuz here it come...

Their own website.

So tired of the "go search everyone else's sites for info about our game; but don't ever expect any info you need about our game to be on our website" mentality.

• 4 weeks later...

Many of you probably are not aware and not affected. But in Germany (and I suppose other EU countries) Google expanded their age restriction model. Whereas before simply being logged into a Google account was enough, now they force you to verify your age with your REAL ID.

And that does apply to the official Warframe videos!!!

Of course I'm not going to reveal my real id to Google, because that is their wet dream. Google lives off of harvesting data and profiling people (and as a reminder, since Edward Snowden and the exposed PRISM project we even know the deep ties to the US security state).

I'm not willing to sacrifice my anonymity just to see the latest Warframe video. There's a plethora of alternative platforms. Just host your own Peertube instance god damned. That would be professional. Or use Odysee at least. You can do all of that you know? But when I click around in steam and wanna see a video of the latest Warframe updates I dont wanna be id walled by freaking Google. Thanks.

Yeah, my advice is to search youtube for other channel showing the video, i.e. the playstation channel has the Nidus Prime trailer and not age restricted.

Thing that gets me is the streamed aren't age restricted (at least when I checked).  I think the game footage is far worse than the trailer.

No way I'm giving google my real ID, I'd rather they'd just take me at my word

it's a EU law I think though

Archived