Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Perhaps Now is the Time for Link Mods to work on Sentinels?

Bricks

With recent efforts that attempt to do things like allow Sentinels to be brought back after death through mods, outside of a full rework, I think the main thing we're missing for Sentinel survivability is the fact they can't use "link" mods. Unlike the health, armor, and shield mods sentinels can use now, link mods actually allow for sizable increases to companion health that scales with your investment into Warframe your survivability mods AND it causes your companion to be effected by shield/health restoring abilities that affect your Warframe AND is affected by increases from buffs to your health/shield/armor in real time. Link mods can be used all all companions except sentinels, meanwhile (while mutually exclusive) either link mods or the health/shield/armor mods used by sentinels can be used on other companions.

I think it is time for this change and I think it would be a very appreciated one.
Thank you for your consideration.

No it's time for invulnerable or automatic respawn companions. Link-Mods are a terrible band-aid, it limits your loadout choice. If you want your companion to be survivable you will never take any Warframe except tanks, enforcing the tank meta even further. It's best we remove the Link mods in general and rework existing companion stats to compensate their removal.

They already have their solution, in name of Awaken.

It's a Djinn mod that allows it to revive after 90s.

All they need to do is balance it to be a bit better to be completable with Vulphy's 30s revival and make it universal.

Seriously, I don't see why they are so willing to die on this Sentiniel suck hill when they already solved it a long ago.

2 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

No it's time for invulnerable or automatic respawn companions. Link-Mods are a terrible band-aid, it limits your loadout choice. If you want your companion to be survivable you will never take any Warframe except tanks, enforcing the tank meta even further. It's best we remove the Link mods in general and rework existing companion stats to compensate their removal.

+1

+1000

11 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

It's best we remove the Link mods in general and rework existing companion stats to compensate their removal.

I agree with this. I feel companions need a rework for modding which also extends to precepts. I would really like to lose 2 mod slots and bake in precepts like with Warframes long ago with ability mods being removed and baked into the Warframe.

50 minutes ago, Voltage said:

also extends to precepts. I would really like to lose 2 mod slots and bake in precepts like with Warframes

That's kind of a different situation though, you have manual control over which Warframe abilities to use (or not), and when.

On Companions, the ability to customize their behavior can be pretty important,
plus there's a good amount of generic (and on MOAs, limited-to-2) Precepts, how would those work?

Just give Pets a proper weapon slot already.

Been a number of threads on sentinel survivability - DE did their classic move of ignoring the most obvious solutions, like OP's, and giving us an unsatisfactory and overly complicated one instead (Repair Dispensary).

Devs flat-out refusing to give basic survivability mods to sentinels is now approaching "The New War" levels of memery.

To actually contribute to the conversation: There's a few different camps of thought, but I think we all agree that sentiels are in a bad place. When stealth and/or fighting enemies one at a time was important, the sentinels had a lot to offer. Then there was Vacuum on Carrier, then Smeeta became the meta, then Fetch was released with extra range, then Moas, then Vulpixes that never die, and now the Dispenciary Bandaid to revive fallen sentinels/moas. Soon the custom hyenas will be released with the Sisters of Parvos.

So yes,

• all companions should be rebalanced, or
  • sentinels should be reworked, or
  • link-survivability mods should be allowed on sentinels.
  • (or insert other ideas here)

I think a change is necessary to make sentinels viable in mid-game (or maybe even specific high-level niche missions). But I would like if any change would still make them not be over powered for the new players that are just getting their first Taxon (and soon Condition Overload will be nerfed anyway, so Taxon's Artax beam will lose its edge of contribution soon).

Or maybe this is DE's intention: Sentinels are for baby tenno, not end game. "Get smeeta or you're doing it wrong" perhaps?

I don't expect to see DE reworking all companions any time soon, but if that's what they want to do, more power to them. I'd be happy if they gave a refresh to some like some of the older sentinels and kubrows though, as I imagine their abilities are showing their age. I could maybe see them getting rid of loyalty decay eventually.

I don't expect DE will make companions auto-revive or be invulnerable considering the mods they're pumping out these days related to companion revival (thinking of the upcoming parazon mod as one).  I could maybe see them allowing universal Awaken and replacing the precept on Djinn since they eventually relented on Vacuum with enough pressure, but I don't think it's incredibly likely.

In the short term though it seems like at least allowing link-health, link-armor, and link-shield could be a good step in the right direction. Perhaps we could also get Enhanced Vitality and Calculated Redirection buffed up to 440% like the Warframe mods of similar name? It might not be a sweeping overhaul, but you know.

5 hours ago, Bricks said:

I don't expect DE will make companions auto-revive

I mean, Awaken and the Vulpaphyla crew exist, this is really just asking for consistency / fairness at this point :P

5 hours ago, Bricks said:

it seems like at least allowing link-health, link-armor, and link-shield could be a good step in the right direction

I don't really agree - as was mentioned, that just rewards picking tanky Frames / "punishes" you for using squishy ones.

One big thing I love about Warframe is the freedom to mix & match your Loadout,
the Link Mods (and also the "signature weapon" buffs, urgh) somewhat ruin that.

6 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

I don't really agree - as was mentioned, that just rewards picking tanky Frames / "punishes" you for using squishy ones.

Yes Inaros and other frames like him will be outliers that make your companions way tankier, though, if most all frames have at least have 740 of each shields and health with Vitality and Redirection maxed, you'd then get 165% of that with maxed link mods even on less tanky frames (though their armor would likely be much lower than an armor tank). That's still mostly better stats than Sentinels have currently with only a (hopefully) simple change instead, I think? Also, remember that the link mods would seem to allow real time restores and buffs to you companion's health, shields, and armor based on what buffs and heals your Warframe is getting. So things like resetting sentinel shield gating and buffing up their armor using arcanes would likely be on the table with link mods even for less tanky frames.

Still, if DE wanted to do something along the lines of buffing mods like Enhanced Vitality to allow better use on less tanky frames and roll those link mod based healing and buffing effects into those mods so link mods aren't just better, I suppose I'd be down for that. Maybe alongside a pass to companions base stats to allow for better use of those mods. I'd still personally like it if Sentinels has access to link mods, but we might just have to agree to disagree on that.

I disagree that link mods are something to be put on sentinels - they are stupid mods that should be removed and replaced with silver or gold versions of the basic buff to armour/health and shields.

But that also needs to be given a mod that allows for regen, or for the sentinel to hide when damaged sufficiently only to reappear later when it thinks its safe, We can revive pets, and some self-revive, so sentinels need a corresponding mechanism. And the "one time" regen is useless, pointless and needs to go itself (or as has been pointed out, reworked to give the sentinel a shorter time hiding)

Verglas was a welcome addition, sentinel weapons suddenly are good again, the others need a little attention to update their damage stats to reflect this. But the sentinels need similar mechanisms to survive all the AoE attacks that kill them in seconds, and then kill them again the moment they regen,

More importantly... make enhanced vitality and calculated redirection (plus the armor one) give much larger increase on pets. Even with the lowest health warframe, link health is still better. It's probably because pet health bases are much lower than sentinels. Combined with the fact that they actually go into the fight rather than float by you, they neee to be tankier and given the opportunuty to be tanky regardless of your warframe. Allowing the flat mods on pets did nothing. They need to be increased while on pets.

Yes add link mods...BUT....  pets also needs a top-down rework.  

Their base stats need to scale versus the enemies you fight PERIOD.    All pets should act like deimos pets during death.  A little time out period where a new sentinel or new animal clone is sent down from your orbiter.   

Sentinel placement is a pain, they used to be over your shoulder but then that started messing with your gun aiming,  now they are directly over your head like a hat.  They need to go invisible if they are in front of the camera.  

Am 20.6.2021 um 05:59 schrieb Bricks:

With recent efforts that attempt to do things like allow Sentinels to be brought back after death through mods, outside of a full rework, I think the main thing we're missing for Sentinel survivability is the fact they can't use "link" mods. Unlike the health, armor, and shield mods sentinels can use now, link mods actually allow for sizable increases to companion health that scales with your investment into Warframe your survivability mods AND it causes your companion to be effected by shield/health restoring abilities that affect your Warframe AND is affected by increases from buffs to your health/shield/armor in real time. Link mods can be used all all companions except sentinels, meanwhile (while mutually exclusive) either link mods or the health/shield/armor mods used by sentinels can be used on other companions.

I think it is time for this change and I think it would be a very appreciated one.
Thank you for your consideration.

why now ??? should happen yesterday. Absolutely ridiculous design ....

Archived