On a lighter note - We probably need a new UI for all those conditional Buffs that are planned

0_The_F00l

Keeping aside the whole debate about if the various nerfs and pseudo buffs are warranted or even effective that came with the workshop,

Lets talk about some of the not so obvious issues we may face.

There is only so much real estate on the screen , and i will absolutely not be able to track the literal dozens of weapon buffs, in addition to the warframe abilities, the status effects, companion effects and the actual action on the screen,

I wont even be able to tell what buff is what, is that the buff i got for crit chance from the mod for rifle? is it from the secondary ? is it a kavat? a harrow? some other thing that adds crit that i cant even remember? which is what and how long do i have to refresh it?

I dont play RTS games cause i dislike the acute resource and time management , i will greatly dislike it here as well.

Is the UI going to be updated to make it easier to identify? i already suffer from screen pollution due to the gazillion particle effects  , now i have to put up with more?

Do keep the discussion light.

Why not have the option to put buff icons next to the relevant UI info, and then another option to categorize each effect based on its type and show the final calculated % modification on top of that icon? Enabling the former option would automatically enable the latter, as it would otherwise result in more clutter since the icons, though fewer, would be all over the place.

For example, all heal-over-time effects (Renewal, Ravenous, Reservoir, ) would be shown in a single total value next to your health on one single icon, and if multiple were affecting you at the same time, it would just show the total added health per second value.

Anything affecting gun damage would show the final calculated modifier on a single icon to the right of your aiming reticle, while anything affecting melee damage would be aggregated on an icon to the left of the reticle. Since Roar affects all damage including abilities, its icon would be near your energy and weapon name in the lower right corner, while also being considered in the calculations for the gun and melee damage modifiers to the right and left of the reticle, with the Roar portion being shown in parentheses after the aggregate effect.

Adaptation would likely remain the same because it offers variable immunity to all sorts of damage types depending on how often you get hit with attacks containing that type as a majority portion of its damage. Having multiple Invisibility buffs would just show the one with the longest duration, with an icon over the head of your Warframe. Octavia's non-invis buffs would fall under gun and melee damage modifiers, and be aggregated with other sources of similar buffs, but the percentage of buildup toward her next buff would probably have to stay the same, much like Adaptation, since that variable is truly unique to Octavia.

Damage reduction aside from Adaptation would multiply together if it is from different sources. Aviator and Aerodynamic would add together in the calculation of course, since they provide the same kind of damage reduction under the same condition. That icon would go under the feet of your Warframe.

There would be another submenu on the Esc menu labeled "Buffs and Debuffs." Clicking on it would show each icon for each effect currently affecting you, each either in its place next to the stat it affects if that stat is visible, or near the reticle/weapon name/body of your Warframe if the stat it modifies is one of the others I described. You could then mouse over each icon to get a dropdown list of all the individual effects and their values being calculated into the final modification value, with mathematical operation symbols between them to show how they are interacting.

9 minutes ago, NeoRetro10K said:

Why not have the option to put buff icons next to the relevant UI info, and then another option to categorize each effect based on its type and show the final calculated % modification on top of that icon? Enabling the former option would automatically enable the latter, as it would otherwise result in more clutter since the icons, though fewer, would be all over the place.

For example, all heal-over-time effects (Renewal, Ravenous, Reservoir, ) would be shown in a single total value next to your health on one single icon, and if multiple were affecting you at the same time, it would just show the total added health per second value.

Anything affecting gun damage would show the final calculated modifier on a single icon to the right of your aiming reticle, while anything affecting melee damage would be aggregated on an icon to the left of the reticle. Since Roar affects all damage including abilities, its icon would be near your energy and weapon name in the lower right corner, while also being considered in the calculations for the gun and melee damage modifiers to the right and left of the reticle, with the Roar portion being shown in parentheses after the aggregate effect.

Adaptation would likely remain the same because it offers variable immunity to all sorts of damage types depending on how often you get hit with attacks containing that type as a majority portion of its damage. Having multiple Invisibility buffs would just show the one with the longest duration, with an icon over the head of your Warframe. Octavia's non-invis buffs would fall under gun and melee damage modifiers, and be aggregated with other sources of similar buffs, but the percentage of buildup toward her next buff would probably have to stay the same, much like Adaptation, since that variable is truly unique to Octavia.

Damage reduction aside from Adaptation would multiply together if it is from different sources. Aviator and Aerodynamic would add together in the calculation of course, since they provide the same kind of damage reduction under the same condition. That icon would go under the feet of your Warframe.

There would be another submenu on the Esc menu labeled "Buffs and Debuffs." Clicking on it would show each icon for each effect currently affecting you, each either in its place next to the stat it affects if that stat is visible, or near the reticle/weapon name/body of your Warframe if the stat it modifies is one of the others I described. You could then mouse over each icon to get a dropdown list of all the individual effects and their values being calculated into the final modification value, with mathematical operation symbols between them to show how they are interacting.

I partially agree with some of it.

There could be bracketing of similar buffs that can be stacked and they could be distributed acrosss the UI/HUD

Ex:

Damage, MS , Fire rate /speed , Critical chance and Critical Damage from various sources (basically things that affect the environment/enemy but originates from us) could be stacked together and shown near the weapon description,

Damage reduction,resistance , Heal , Armor, energy regen could be shown near our health/shield indicator - things that affect what is received by us in some way.

Things that manipulate the environment could be near the map , like invisibility , 

These could be either buffs or debuffs affecting us.

Each icon would have areas , top will say how much is the strength of the effect , the right would say how many different such stacks exist and bottom would show the different times of each stack.

I however dont think a Buff /debuff section in the Menu will be useful , you would lose most of your buffs by the time you open and close the menu.

4 hours ago, Butterfly85 said:

Heh, imagine playing Octavia while having al those new buffs up.

I think the hud would straight up quit at that point 😂😂

Octavia with innately buffing weapons (Knell, Arca Scisco etc), with full galvanized mods and melee buffs and all powers active be like:

Heads-up history: A visual look at the evolution of the HUD | Ars Technica

2 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

I however dont think a Buff /debuff section in the Menu will be useful , you would lose most of your buffs by the time you open and close the menu.

That's a problem. But if you did this with understanding of purpose, there is a solution — menu just hold everything until you close it. Or if it possible, just keep info about every single effect from the mission start (with differentlial from currently active buffs).

What about topic, all i need is to differential with

1. Buffs i should activelly maintain - abilities, conditional mods

2. Buffs/cooldowns i can't affect  kavat, energize e.tc.

3. Every other players effects.

With a #1 have a little bit special place/color/size on it.

3 hours ago, NeoRetro10K said:

Becouse most of the point of this icons is just to give you idea, how long this buff will work and there is comes from.

On 2021-06-21 at 5:36 PM, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

Octavia with innately buffing weapons (Knell, Arca Scisco etc), with full galvanized mods and melee buffs and all powers active be like:

Heads-up history: A visual look at the evolution of the HUD | Ars Technica

Yeah , i wouldnt be surprised if we have to put up with something like that,

Archived