Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Not a real scythe it's a sickle

yes, Scythe's do have a size problem. the Arch-Melee scythe, Kaszas is more the kind of size that normal Scythes should be. now that I think about it there aren't any Tennogen Scythe Skins, so someone could make an "oversized" skin  (compared to current size) to somewhat solve the problem. 

41 minutes ago, (PSN)Evilkinghaj1me said:

A scythe is a long handle weapon and a two handle weapon and I'm asking can you please make an actually scythe not a sickle that you call a scythe and I'm pretty sure it will be fun to play with... Ps you thank me

Build a Dokrahm Zaw as a heavy blade.

1 hour ago, (PSN)Evilkinghaj1me said:

A scythe is a long handle weapon and a two handle weapon and I'm asking can you please make an actually scythe not a sickle that you call a scythe and I'm pretty sure it will be fun to play with... Ps you thank me

Well, a scythe is more of an agricultural too anyway. The weapon, a war scythe is more akin to a polearm or spear with a curved blade mounted to the tip pointing in the same direction as the shaft.

Scythes in the shape we have them, no matter the length of the handle, are just stupid for actual combat. Which is why real War Scythes didnt follow that design. They were instead more like a halbard or axe, with a handle of varying length with a crecent sickle ontop as the "axe" head.

The scythe in the video uptop is also not a real War Scythe, that is a Raven's/Crow's Beak, though a bit too slim in design to actually do what such a weapon was ment to do, which was cracking helmets and skulls, while also being useful for body blows to penetrate full plate armor and break links of a chainmail. It lacks a proper weight source at the headpiece.

If we're being pedantic about scythes, we should also mention that scythes are terrible weapons irl. Made for cutting down harmless stalks of wheat, it's no surprise that a farming implement with its single sharp edge facing its wielder wouldn't do well in a fight.

Historically, when scythes were used as military weapons, it was usually by peasants, it was only because they couldn't afford real weapons, and to use those scythes as weapons their blades were significantly rotated and reinforced to the point where they no longer looked like the iconic scythe we know and love. The scythe only rose to pop culture weaponhood because depictions of the Grim Reaper show him with a scythe as a metaphor for him harvesting us in death, and that sounds badass.

5 hours ago, o0Despair0o said:

I like to think of them as war scythes.

That's not a scythe it's a pick.

Here's your War scythe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_scythe. It's more like a poor mans spear.

Scythe's as farming equipment (the classic shape) are pointless in battle (pun not intended). They are hard to hit with and easy to avoid and can only puncture something. Completely useless vs any type of armor.

The small scythe's in Warframe are actually a lot more functional than the large ones and the Dokrahm. Only to be handed like a pick. But then you're better off with a pick, because those have a lot more force and are built to actually pierce something. Bit more like kamas to be honest. Which are also farming tools by the way.

1 hour ago, RazerXPrime said:

Here's your War scythe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_scythe. It's more like a poor mans spear.

Scythe's as farming equipment (the classic shape) are pointless in battle (pun not intended). They are hard to hit with and easy to avoid and can only puncture something. Completely useless vs any type of armor.

The small scythe's in Warframe are actually a lot more functional than the large ones and the Dokrahm. Only to be handed like a pick. But then you're better off with a pick, because those have a lot more force and are built to actually pierce something. Bit more like kamas to be honest. Which are also farming tools by the way.

You must be fun at parties.

23 hours ago, RazerXPrime said:

We tried the whole scythe thing back when I was around 20 and very much into medieval warfare. The farming scythe was almost the deadliest of them all, cos our group almost died from laughter after having tried it as an actual weapon. So unwieldy and clunky. Good thing that we planned ahead and constructed the blades from plastic compounds with weights to simulate the actual thing, otherwise some of us would have probably ended up killing ourselves.

We also tried two different war scythes, one with a longer head, much like the one from the wiki drawing. And then one with a crescent head, very similar to the one in the wiki picture. I really loved the sickle (scottish) version since it felt like a mix of a staff and an axe to wield. The other just felt way too long and clunky (for me). Though I guess with a shorter handle, the long bladed version could be really neat to use like a hybrid axe-sword.

But the farming scythes, oh my so silly!

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Marvelous_A said:

They thought of making the existing sickles into actual great two handed scythes but it seemed that they dropped the idea, which is sad. Dohkram GS is the only practical "scythe" I'd ever use.

Yeah and you can't even put a  scythe skin on it which is stupid 

Archived